Follow

Zenescope Entertainment

Publisher »

Publisher known for comics such as Grimm Fairy Tales, its spin-off the Wonderland series, and Sinbad.

The Harley Market

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

As I have been saying for some time, Grimm Fairy Tales has a habit of somewhat misrepresenting its covers. Not in the usual way, where scenes on the cover never end up in the interior. This has generally been a step above that, as the covers are not even thematically accurate, as they feature scantily clad women versus stories with strong female characters (in fact GFT tends to write predominantly female characters.)

One interesting development in the recent years is the use of harlequin like figures, especially as it relates to the Wonderland series. While these are kind of thematically related, they are not an exact match. Harlequins represent whimsical fun, whereas Wonderland is a story based off of literary nonsense, while also incorporating in some modern themes - related if not similar themes. What is out of place are once again the covers, not necessarily exploitative in this case, but appealing to the eye as they capture the design aspect of the harlequin which has its own niche of popularity (the best example of which is Harley Quinn.) In terms of misrepresenting covers this is probably once again one of the ways in which Zenescope manages to appeal to female fans, as instead of exploiting women (though it does do that) it is exploiting a theme in a prominent way as well.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#1 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

What I've noticed with Zenescope is the drastic difference in quality of art on the cover and of the story. Now, regular mainstream comics typically have better art on the cover than the interior, but Zenescope is leagues different. At least this is the experience I've had with any I've picked up. I'm interested every now and again, but the amazing covers with the bland interiors always turns me away.

But I have noticed GFT has been putting out a lot more books lately. I hope they are good and have been doing well.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

@jloneblackheart: The art is a bit lacking, but the stories are usually well written :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.