Follow

Zatanna

Character » Zatanna appears in 1684 issues.

A good stage magician and daughter of magician Giovanni John Zatara, Zatanna, the Mistress of Magic, after her father vanished, kidnapped by an old foe she delved into his library and learned about her ancestors, Zatanna taught herself how to get access to her power by speaking her spells backwards, and became one of most powerful magic-users in the DC Universe.

What's the Problem with her Powers? (New 52)

Magician134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reading through the beginning of Justice League Dark, I've noticed something very disturbing about Zee's depiction that began to become more and more difficult to ignore. Namely her inability to kick butt with her powers? And personally, I don't get why that must be.

I admit that I haven't gotten very far in the series (due to the trade paperbacks not being released quickly enough), but reading through the Enchantress/June Moone arc, there appears to be a huge discrepancy. Namely, that she is able to effectively disable Batman in the first issue and then becomes completely useless from then on. She gets her butt handed to her by nearly everything Enchantress throws at her. Now one could argue that Enchantress is simply more powerful than Zee and as such is able to resist her power. But if that's the case, then how come Zee is powerless against Shade's Behemoth of a Nightmare as well as the Vampires of that silly cross over? (I didn't get any further than that, by the way.)

I did read something about Zee being "unstable" for whatever reason, which could be affecting her magic, but they never even explained what Batman and Enchantress's clones meant when they said she was such. So I am rather confused.

If anyone has the answer to this concern, I'd very much like to hear it as Zee is my all-time favorite Super and I hate to see her so weak when she was so Bad Ass in her Paul Dini solo series.

Thanks.

Avatar image for the_wind_dancer
    The_Wind_Dancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the same problem. I have only read a few of the JLD books and like u haven't seen Zee cast a successful spell other than the one she used to bind Batman! Unfortunately I have no idea why this is but it is starting to worry me as well. She used to be such a magical powerhouse... I just hope writers straighten things out.

Darkspell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Justice league Dark 29, She's really powerful. She's the most powerful member in Justice league dark now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_wind_dancer: @magician134: Both of you should read more then...because she demosntrated to be pretty powerful

Reading through the beginning of Justice League Dark, I've noticed something very disturbing about Zee's depiction that began to become more and more difficult to ignore. Namely her inability to kick butt with her powers? And personally, I don't get why that must be.

I admit that I haven't gotten very far in the series (due to the trade paperbacks not being released quickly enough), but reading through the Enchantress/June Moone arc, there appears to be a huge discrepancy. Namely, that she is able to effectively disable Batman in the first issue and then becomes completely useless from then on. She gets her butt handed to her by nearly everything Enchantress throws at her. Now one could argue that Enchantress is simply more powerful than Zee and as such is able to resist her power. But if that's the case, then how come Zee is powerless against Shade's Behemoth of a Nightmare as well as the Vampires of that silly cross over? (I didn't get any further than that, by the way.)

I did read something about Zee being "unstable" for whatever reason, which could be affecting her magic, but they never even explained what Batman and Enchantress's clones meant when they said she was such. So I am rather confused.

If anyone has the answer to this concern, I'd very much like to hear it as Zee is my all-time favorite Super and I hate to see her so weak when she was so Bad Ass in her Paul Dini solo series.

Thanks.

She can not fight the vampires with full force because after the death of Andrew, Cain reincarnated on Earth and began to drain all the mystical energy to himself...including Zatanna's powers. Even Constantine and Xanadu couldn't resist it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.