Follow

Young Justice

Team » Young Justice appears in 269 issues.

Young Justice started as another legacy team consisting of a generation of sidekicks younger than the original Teen Titans lineup. Like the Teen Titans, they would eventually increase membership beyond sidekicks and make a name for themselves beyond their mentors.

Thoughts on major characters in season 2???

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By srk12

With 15 eps done and 5 to go, here is my standing of the major characters who are/were on the team based on season 2. Bare in mind that my opinion may change based on what happens in the next 5 episodes.

Best new character:

Blue Beetle: the season has basically been about him and the writers have done a good job of making him likeable. I also think it was a brave decision on their part to make a relatively obscure character be such a major part of the season.

Impule: I think the Flash family is naturally likeable. Also since he's written to be a loyal friend to Blue Beetle, he comes off even more likeable.

Arsenal: I just think Roy is very well voiced. I definitely prefer the older Roy but this version is pretty cool too.

Worst New Character

Lagoon Boy: Reasons are pretty obvious but it seems that he's just been written to be a hothead who gets humiliated. There's nothing much to his character outside of being Miss Martian's boyfriend.

Bumblebee: shown to be rather cold and distant towards her boyfriend to the point of being downright rude until 'War'.

Mal Duncan: a character that has served very little purpose. His storyline with Bumblebee has not got enough screen time to be invested in nor does he provide much functionality outside of that relationship.

Most Improved Character

Superboy: I was pretty annoyed with his constant angst and anger last season. But this season he has come off fairly likeable. He seems to have a balanced head on his shoulders and has clear distinction between right and wrong.

Aqualad: he was a bit boring in season 1. Too much of a straight arrow. But he became a badass in season 2 and his story has been the most interesting one to follow out of all the lead characters of the show.

Most Missed Character

Zatanna: I honestly really liked Zatanna last season. She added a spark to the second half of the first season. Also, she was a pretty sexy animated character. Which is why I was quite disappointed when she was shown as part of the JL in ep1 of this season. She hasn't been around much with her most substantial role being in the 'Despero' episode.

Red Arrow: He was the ultimate badass in season 1. Arguably my favorite character. His story sttarted off promisingly this season but was resolved too quickly. He has been sadly MIA ever since his "original" version has popped back up. Its a crying shame!

Kid Flash: I am a huge fan of Wally in the comics, in JL, JLU, and in YJ. Sadly he's not in the comics anymore which is why I have felt really pissed that Wally has not got even one proper full length role in an episode this season. His most substantial role was pretty much supporting in 'Bloodlines'. Whats even more irritating is that I've loved the more mature Wally that we've got only a glimpse off this season.

Characters that I haven't changed my opinion on

Miss Martian: She was incredibly annoying last season. Her actions this season make her quite unlikeable. Plus, I did not like the fact that she dissolved into self-pity when she realized the error in her actions. However, despite her unlikeability, she remains probably the most well developed character on the show.

Artemis: she was pretty cool in season 1 and she has been pretty cool in the two episodes that she's gotten so far.

Most Disappointing character

Nightwing: the only part of the five year jump I was excited about was seeing Nightwing since he was very much a recurring character in the Bruce Timm universe and I wanted to see him more in action. However he has been majorly disappointing. Not only have his decisions made little practical sense but he has put younger team members in harms way. What's more, he has done so mostly at harms length while sitting in relative comfort. He has been out on the field twice this season and one of those times was planned. We haven't got to see his great detective skills or his martial arts skills. I hope he turns it around before the end of the season.

Characters I don't really care much about

Pretty much the rest of the team. Most of them are underutilized or just aren't interesting.

DMXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DMXN

You didn't mention Wonder-Girl, but I can understand that as she only appeared in like 2 freaking episodes. I mean in all the other episodes she is invisible. Totally undeveloped cool character. and Beast-Boy too, I think we knew about him more in the one episode of the first season. Both are awesome characters, but we only see them as cameos. In the first season, they introduced each member separately, and all of them had their own backgrounds, but in Invasion they made new characters join at once. We don't even know their stories fully. Mal-how did he join the team? Lagoon Boy- the same question? Wonder-Girl-????? We know nothing about her except that she is Wonder-Woman's apprentice. Robin- if we just watched the series and didn't read any batman comics we wouldn't even know his name is Tim Drake. Batgirl-the same as Robin. Invasion has just tooooo many characters, and because of this most of them are undeveloped.

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By srk12

@DMXN: Those characters pretty much fall into the last category at the bottom of my post. I've neither liked nor disliked them because they have not gotten any char development.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By rav4

Ive come to hate Blue Beetle for exactly the reason you like him. This season has been ALL about him, and I'm very sick of him being shoved down my throat. They introduced a lot of other characters who barely get any screen time because Blue is hogging it all. Really wish he'd just go away.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackWind

Arsenal went from on the fence to dislike territory with his actions in the mere two missions he has been part of.

Like someone mentioned, the cast got too big too quickly, we know jack about Wonder Girl, Robin, Mal, Bumblebee and Lagoon. And quite honesty, they did it with Rocket in season 1.

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By srk12

@Ravager4: See I blame more the writing than the character. I think Blue Beetle has been written quite well but the writers made a mistake in making him hog so much of the screen time and giving so little to the characters we loved from season 1.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @srk12 said:

@Ravager4: See I blame more the writing than the character. I think Blue Beetle has been written quite well but the writers made a mistake in making him hog so much of the screen time and giving so little to the characters we loved from season 1.

The main storyline of the season is the Reach invading....seeing as Blue is a part of the Reach its perfectly logical that he would be one of the main focuses of the season. The point of the show and the time skip is to portray growth, evolution and change...like in real life, groups are going to grow apart and change and have new members.  You have to look at this season as an entirely different show.

People see to have short term memory with this show, likely due to all the hiatuses, saying Blue Beetle hogs screen time or is shoved down our throats is, well, kind of inaccurate. He has been a major character in roughly 5 episodes out of how many....15?? I would hardly consider that to be overused. I mean when you read a  Justice League comic and a kryptonian villain shows up you don't get angry that Superman gets a bunch of focus right?? He is just used largely in stories that pertain to main story arch.
    DMXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DMXN

I think there is no doubt that the first season was better. We knew equally as much about seperate characters as about the Team itself. It feels like season two has started not long ago, as we still don't know much about as the Team members as the missing 5 years. Plus 2016 Team seems not to be as close as 2011. It doesn't leave the feeling that they are one big Team, more like seperate factions, unlike the first Team.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JohnnyGat

Loved Mal Duncan in that fight with Despero. Hilarious. Plus in the recent episode I have to admit he's got some moves.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilvegeta74

Since Young Justice has been canceled, it's time to do a new Justice League show and incorporate the Young Justice characters there.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By dngn4774

Arsenal would have made a much better villain than a hero. I would've also liked wondergirl to be Donna Troy instead of Cassie Sandsmark.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bestostero

I agree with a lot you said, I do disagree with a few characters, but great choices.

Wonder Girl and Batgirl really stood out to me in the first half of the series, especially in the all girls episode. Bumblebee too, and in the War episode she solidify her position in my eyes.

Lagoon Boy I felt is season 1 Superboy, where he's arrogant and a hothead, given the time and development, I really think Lagoon Boy could've been more like season 2 Superboy.

Captain Atom had presence this season too. probably the only Justice League member that did. Black Lighting was a huge disappointment to me, he's one of my favorite Leaguers and he was essentially a background character like much of the Justice League characters were this season.

Other than that I pretty much felt the same.

pokemonmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pokemonmon

i have a lot of complaints but i guess my main one would be the fact that they trusted green beetle too easily and the fact that miss martain has continued to be so secertive. while i do prefer the season 1 team but we knew them better and they were more of a team that felt like a family, im happy with the introduction of all the characters here too. i only wish they all got more screen time and development. if only the show was getting a 3rd season we mightve gotten that. oh well.

Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mojo65

I'll say to me the most improved is Aqualad who has shot up to being in my top 3, he's much more interesting this season even with much less screen time.

Miss Martian is also improved, she's even more well developed and interesting than before.

Superboy I have mixed feelings about, on one hand he's less angry and more likable and I like how he's kinda the moral pillar among the originals, but he really has no character arc or development anymore, his character has kinda been eaten by M'gann and his role in the plot more or less revolves around her.

Wally, did not care much for him last season, even less now. He already had the same problem Conner is having in Season 1 in that his character was eaten by Artemis and more or less his entire role in the plot revolved around her and moving forward HER character arcs and development while he got virtually none so I have no real reason to emotionally connect with him outside of me liking Artemis. frankly the only reason I think he's so popular is cause he's Wally West and people love Wally in other stuff (I do too) because really here he started uninteresting and has remained such.

Artemis, one of my favorites last season, still one of my favorites this season.

Dick Grayson seems less competent and cool than he was as Robin, he's kinda just not been the best leader and he doesn't even get much action scenes, he was one of my favorites last season and while I still like him he is no longer one of my tops.

Zee, Rocket and Red Arrow are not around enough to really worth noting, I do miss Red Arrow though.

Now for the new cast

Blue Beetle: good character, too much screen time as of late, still probably the most invested in him of the new cast and the Reach are HIS villains so his big role makes sense

Impulse: in 9 episodes already a MUCH better and more interesting character than Kid Flash.

Arsenal: Really good, works well as a replacement for M'gann as the teams loose cannon as well.

Wonder Girl: I don't know why but I just really really love despite her having almost no role, I think its cause she reminds me of what I liked about Miss Martian early in season one while not having the things I didn't like about her at the time.

Beast Boy: like him mostly cause of Miss Martian and his scenes with her, he was kinda needed in those early episodes to humanize her a bit while she was doing the crazy things she did.

Mal Duncan: I have come around from not caring about him to liking him quite a bit in the last few episodes.

don't care enough about Bumblebee, Lagoon Boy, Tim or Batgirl to note them.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Mojo65 said:

I'll say to me the most improved is Aqualad who has shot up to being in my top 3, he's much more interesting this season even with much less screen time.

Miss Martian is also improved, she's even more well developed and interesting than before.

Superboy I have mixed feelings about, on one hand he's less angry and more likable and I like how he's kinda the moral pillar among the originals, but he really has no character arc or development anymore, his character has kinda been eaten by M'gann and his role in the plot more or less revolves around her.

Wally, did not care much for him last season, even less now. He already had the same problem Conner is having in Season 1 in that his character was eaten by Artemis and more or less his entire role in the plot revolved around her and moving forward HER character arcs and development while he got virtually none so I have no real reason to emotionally connect with him outside of me liking Artemis. frankly the only reason I think he's so popular is cause he's Wally West and people love Wally in other stuff (I do too) because really here he started uninteresting and has remained such.

Artemis, one of my favorites last season, still one of my favorites this season.

Dick Grayson seems less competent and cool than he was as Robin, he's kinda just not been the best leader and he doesn't even get much action scenes, he was one of my favorites last season and while I still like him he is no longer one of my tops.

Zee, Rocket and Red Arrow are not around enough to really worth noting, I do miss Red Arrow though.

Now for the new cast

Blue Beetle: good character, too much screen time as of late, still probably the most invested in him of the new cast and the Reach are HIS villains so his big role makes sense

Impulse: in 9 episodes already a MUCH better and more interesting character than Kid Flash.

Arsenal: Really good, works well as a replacement for M'gann as the teams loose cannon as well.

Wonder Girl: I don't know why but I just really really love despite her having almost no role, I think its cause she reminds me of what I liked about Miss Martian early in season one while not having the things I didn't like about her at the time.

Beast Boy: like him mostly cause of Miss Martian and his scenes with her, he was kinda needed in those early episodes to humanize her a bit while she was doing the crazy things she did.

Mal Duncan: I have come around from not caring about him to liking him quite a bit in the last few episodes.

don't care enough about Bumblebee, Lagoon Boy, Tim or Batgirl to note them.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By weaponxx

Season two destroyed the show. Season one was soooo much better. That is all.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By papad1992

@srk12: Forgot to mention the category: Characters that never had a chance in the spotlight. Which include Wonder Girl, Robin, and Batgirl!

Also u forgot Beast Boy!

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

The recent episode made me like Miss Martian a little more. She wasn't annoying.

nmiller1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nmiller1939

Well, let's see, from the top:

Nightwing has been a disappointment in the action front, but I like his character. Struggling with making the right decisions and seeing the pressure build is interesting, and seeing his anger in the latest episode was AWESOME. I think he's about to kick some ass, and it's about time. Also, seeing him lead a joint Team-League mission with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman involved was a great scene for the character, shows just how much authority he has in the superhero community, despite only being 20.

Aqualad has been cool. His action scenes are great, and he plays a great villain.

Wally hasn't been around, but I was never a big fan of him in the first season.

Ms Martian is an interesting case because I think she's had a great character arc and is an essential part of the story, but I don't really like her. But I've always felt that fiction should have more unlikable leads. I mean, I have plenty of people I know that, while I don't like, are a far cry from bad people. It just seems realistic.

Superboy is great this season. Kind of a static character, but it works for him. He comes across as a jerk, but he's shown to be a pillar of morality and also seems the most affectionate with the younger cast.

Artemis is cool. She's always been cool. She'll always be cool.

I've really grown to like the Roys this season. Haven't seen much of Red Arrow, but he seemed to be in a really good place last time we saw him. And Arsenal adds a nice dynamic to the group.

Blue Beetle's cool, but has too much screen time. I understand why he has so much, but I still don't like it.

Mal's really likable, though I wish he and Karen had broken up. Sometimes people just grow apart, and that seems to be the case with them.

Karen? Meh

I've liked what I've seen of Tim, but not really enough to judge.

Batgirl hasn't done much, but I've just never been a big Barbara-as-Batgirl fan in any form.

Wonder Girl is likable when she's there

Beast Boy has a great design, and I liked him quite a bit in the second episode, especially his relationships with Conner and M'Gann

Impulse is great. Lot of fun, while having some hidden depths. Any character whose plan to save the future is to go back in time and become best friends with the guy that causes the future apocalypse is alright in my book.

Wolf and Sphere are chill.

All around, I've really liked this season, but I'm not the kind of person that cares too much about even screen time. Tell the story you need to tell, don't ruin that just for the sake of balance. And I'm fine with characters being introduced but doing little, any exposure for the characters is good for them, even if it is minor, and it makes the universe feel more fleshed out.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vernierhawk001

Well, if the writers had the indication that they'd only get two seasons...makes sense that they wrote BBeetle in so much: it was necessary for the story they wanted to tell. That being said, I also don't like seeing so much of lue Beetle. I kind of wish the second season had focused more on the developments in the original team as they aged. They still could have done that this season but it would have made background characters of everyone else. I enjoy Wondergirl, Tim and Batgirl

As for Nightwing....he's one of my faves in general. this season has been a bit dry for him as far as the action but I think it becomes more interesting if you look at his stroy as a whole (from Robin to Nightwing). Anywho....I'm just hoping for some major Nightwing butt-kicking in the final few eps...starting with a HUGE throwdown between Nightwing and Deathstroke

LipstickZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LipstickZombie

I love Young Justice, but it has really changed since season one. The focus has been taken off the six original team members and hasn't really been put on anyone else. I guess you can say the focus has been put on Jamie, but I don't think he is a strong enough character to carry the show. Personally, I would like to see more of the original team and explore more about what happened in the 5 year time laps. Although I like what they have done with the story, there should be more focus on how the situation is affecting Wally and the strain that has been put on his relationships with Artemis and Nightwing.

Mojo65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mojo65

If you think Jaime isn't strong enough to carry the show why would you want to put attention on the weakest character from the first season?

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@LipstickZombie said:

I love Young Justice, but it has really changed since season one. The focus has been taken off the six original team members and hasn't really been put on anyone else. I guess you can say the focus has been put on Jamie, but I don't think he is a strong enough character to carry the show. Personally, I would like to see more of the original team and explore more about what happened in the 5 year time laps. Although I like what they have done with the story, there should be more focus on how the situation is affecting Wally and the strain that has been put on his relationships with Artemis and Nightwing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.