Follow

Young Justice

Team » Young Justice appears in 269 issues.

Young Justice started as another legacy team consisting of a generation of sidekicks younger than the original Teen Titans lineup. Like the Teen Titans, they would eventually increase membership beyond sidekicks and make a name for themselves beyond their mentors.

[SPOILER] Wally West - Season 3

• 55 results
    csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By csguterres

I know the show was cancelled, but I do think if there was a third season, Wally would return.

Why?

- His death wasn't really heroic like his (near) death in Justice League Unlimited against Luthor-Brainiac was.

Wally, Barry and Bart did all the same thing. But Wally simply botched. He was slower than the rest of them. That's the sole reason why Wally died and the others didn't.

A way more noble death would be Barry and Bart getting knocked out by (non-lethal) beams (and Jay Garrick too - by the way, where was Jay Garrick (The Original Flash)? He was probably faster than Wally and could have filled his role) and then Wally being the only one left and compensating the absence of the others by running faster than the light speed, thus sacrificing his life while saving the world.

The way Greg Weisman killed off Wally, I think that beam just transported Wally to another place. And this would have been explored in the Third Season. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled, so Greg will never have the chance to bring Wally back.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yeah that was kinda messed up how he died, they already showed us earlier he wasn't as fast as Bart and Barry, now that was just rubbing it in. 

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

Maybe he became one with the speed force?

jasontodd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jasontodd7

Didin't Wally West breaked something in the comics world that allowed him to become the fastest Flash?

I'm not too familiar with the character so i might be wrong but i guess this is what happened here..

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@jasontodd7: He unconsciously kept himself slower because he didn't want to overshadow Barry Allen. Later when he became The Flash he still had this problem before getting over it and the rest is history

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By srk12

I don't agree that his death wasn't heroic. Barry and Bart weren't able conjur up enough kinetic energy to stop the machine. Wally added enough kinetic energy to stop the machine. So he did die saving the world. However, Wally would have probably returned if there had been a season 3. There was no body, and in the world of comics and cartoons, you aren't dead unless there there is a body.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csguterres

@srk12 said:

I don't agree that his death wasn't heroic. Barry and Bart weren't able conjur up enough kinetic energy to stop the machine. Wally added enough kinetic energy to stop the machine. So he did die saving the world. However, Wally would have probably returned if there had been a season 3. There was no body, and in the world of comics and cartoons, you aren't dead unless there there is a body.

Well, I didn't said it wasn't heroic, I said it wasn't heroic as it could have been. If you watch the JLU episode in which Wally almost dies facing Brainiac-Luthor, I think you will agree with that. And the scenario I imagined, don't you think it would have been a more heroic and less embarassing way to go down?

But I understand you. The thing is, Wally's slowness can both overshadow his sacrifice or highlight it even more. The fact is, Wally didn't die because he helped Barry and Bart, he died because he was too slow to get the job done without getting killed. In the other side, Wally chose to help even knowing he wasn't as fast as the other two and because of that, risking himself a lot more than them, showing real courage.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csguterres

@CrimsonCake

@jasontodd7

No, he didn't die because he runned fast than Barry and Bart. It was the opposite. Barry and Bart were fast enough to dodge the beams from that energy thing, while Wally (who was the slowest Flash in YJ - while in the comics, he was really the fastest) got hit by them. That's why I didn't like his death so much, it could have been easily avoided if Wally was just a little bit faster.

In the other hand, like I said to @srk12 Wally chose to help even knowing he wasn't as fast as the other two, risking himself a lot more than them, showing real courage.

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By srk12

@csguterres: Well sure. This doesn't top the JLU moment. But the moment works in order to underline the tragedy. Wally was neither the greatest nor the most powerful of the Flash's and he didn't want to return to hero work, but when it came down to it, he wouldn't leave Barry and Bart alone to shoulder the burden and he risked his life to save the world and payed the price for it.

Lots_Of_Love

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lots_Of_Love

I think he is in the speed force not dead

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I'm just pissed Jay Garrick did nothing!

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By csguterres

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

He's my favorite Flash and all he did all the episode is pose with a bunch of the team and JL one time.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By arnoldoaad

I do think it wasnt an heroic death at all, it just makes no sense to me that he was needed to stop the "whatever that was" and its because of helping that he died

all of it was obviously an homage to the death of Barry in CoIE but it doesnt go near that, in fact i thought it was really lame that he just vanish while the death of Barry he literally turn into dust

The problem that pretty much everyone is having with this death is that he died because he was the weak link instead of actually being the guy who saved the world

he just got the short end of the stick and thats pretty insulting

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By RedOwl_1

@SHARKBEARAGATOR said:

I think he is in the speed force not dead

Yeah I also think so, because in comics one does not simply disappear because was hit by a lightening beam (Yeah remember Bats who was stroke with a beam of Darkseid... well he's now out there kicking ass)

AdmiralNAkbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AdmiralNAkbar

@AllStarSuperman: Well Jay Garrick is 90 years old because he and his wife had their 70th anniversary.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@AdmiralNAkbar: i know but i still wanted him to actually do something.

AdmiralNAkbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AdmiralNAkbar

@AllStarSuperman: could've broken a bone

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By Teerack

Really hoping this series keeps going in the comics. DC sure isn't giving Wally any love :C

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csguterres

@AdmiralNAkbar said:

He was always the "Badass Grandpa" in comics (before the new 52). The old guy who still can get the job done!

He is my favorite Flash as well,

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@csguterres said:

@AdmiralNAkbar said:

He was always the "Badass Grandpa" in comics (before the new 52). The old guy who still can get the job done!

Cool what do you think of young earth 2 jay Garrick? I see it as different I still like him. In fact he's still one of my favorite superheros. I actually like the different origin to it sets him apart from Barry Allen.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

He is one with the speed force. He could return.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By csguterres

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AdmiralNAkbar said:

Cool what do you think of young earth 2 jay Garrick? I see it as different I still like him. In fact he's still one of my favorite superheros. I actually like the different origin to it sets him apart from Barry Allen.

I like the Earth-2 Jay Garrick as well! (But I like Old Jay Garrick better).

I also see them as different characters, as a matter of fact, I think they only share name and powers, everything else is different: backstory, personality, role in the team, ...

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@csguterres: i exactly agree with you

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its unfortunate the series is over cause it was clear he writers wanted to do something more with Wally and its not hard to inagine they were going to delve into the speed force aspect of the characters had a season 3 taken place. now all we get is a lame "death" rather than a natural character progression and Wally gaining speeds equal or greater than the Allens

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By csguterres

He will miss Wally.

No Caption Provided
    tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tomchu

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

He's my favorite Flash and all he did all the episode is pose with a bunch of the team and JL one time.

I was waiting the whole damn time for Jay Garrick to just appear and be go all "GO, Flash, Family, GO!"

Corny, but it saves a life.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By csguterres

@tomchu said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

I was waiting the whole damn time for Jay Garrick to just appear and be go all "GO, Flash, Family, GO!"

Exactly.

I think I figured out why Jay didn't show up. Let's imagine that even the kinetic energy from Jay, Barry and Bart wasn't enough, so Wally would have to help anyway. So for only Wally to get hit by the beams, he would have to be slower than Jay too, and the audience would be like "Come on, even the 90-year-old guy can dodge the beams, and Wally can't?"

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@csguterres said:

@tomchu said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

Exactly.

I think I figured out why Jay didn't show up. Let's imagine that even the kinetic energy from Jay, Barry and Bart wasn't enough, so Wally would have to help anyway. So for only Wally to get hit by the beams, he would have to be slower than Jay too, and the audience would be like "Come on, even the 90-year-old guy can dodge the beams, and Wally can't?"

I guess, but they misused a good character. IMO

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By csguterres

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@tomchu said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

Exactly.

Absolutely. I personally wouldn't have any problem with them making Jay faster than Wally, but I think the audience wouldn't like that, so Greg (the series creator) just ignored him - but it created a plot hole even bigger, making Jay look like a coward for not going to help the other Flashes, or making up a cheap explanation like "Jay got injured off-screen while fighting those Reach things and couldn't be there to help".

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tomchu

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@tomchu said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

Exactly.

Absolutely. I personally wouldn't have any problem with them making Jay faster than Wally, but I think the audience wouldn't like that, so Greg (the series creator) just ignored him - but it created a plot hole even bigger, making Jay look like a coward for not going to help the other Flashes, or making up a cheap explanation like "Jay got injured off-screen while fighting those Reach things and couldn't be there to help".

My friend hypothesized that since Wally dies here. How much do you want to bet he's going to make an appearance in the New 52 soon (anytime this year in comic-bookdom.)

I mean, he's been anticipated for the longest time, but still, now's perfect!

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PassionFlower

I don't think they wrote this knowing they weren't coming back I think Wally and the SF was in the offing.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By csguterres

@tomchu:

Unfortunately, I personally don't see Wally returning any time soon in the New 52. The only possibility I see for him to come back in the near future is as the New Reverse Flash, blaming Barry for erasing his family and blah blah blah. (I don't like this idea for Wally - but I would really like to see this angle played with Superboy Prime, after all, he was locked down on the Wall, and is probably - AGAIN - the sole survivor from his old universe)

But I do think a West will play the Reverse Flash role in the New 52 - Daniel West, Iris' brother.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Yes Wally could come back on the 3rd Season if there was one coming up, and Nightwing could easily be the person to discover this since Wally was Dick's Best Friend on the team. He could have retired done solo missions, helped out a few times, and in his spare time focus on Wally. Tim could have played a bigger role, and Barbara could be in a wheelchair, now going by Oracle. Match could've come back, and they could have created a Young Injustice. They could have made stories about Red Arrow dying because he was a clone, and was imperfect or something. They could have continued a rivalry of Kaldur Vs Black Manta, and how both want the other to switch sides. We can go all day about the possibilities for a 3rd season.

(+)

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@tomchu said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@csguterres said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I second that.

Exactly.

Same

not2baad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By not2baad

Kid Flash had to die because he was a main character in the show.Superman was still on Rimbor but if they wanted to save kid Jay and Captain Marvel(with speed of Mercury) could have took some of the energy blast. Of course this was young justice not captain marvel or original flash show.

LipstickZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LipstickZombie

The worst part was that Wally's death was pretty skimmed over. I would have liked a few words to be said or a montage or just something to honor the importance and significance of the character.

Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Atari_Graphics

i think the fact that he was not as fast and thats why he died makes its more emotionally gripping. In spite of being the weakest link he still was needed to save the world and in the process die himself. Its the weakest link that I personally identify with more than the fastest, strongest, greatest.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrinceIMC

I was totally expecting Barry to disappear and Wally would have to be the Flash to honor him. And with Bart as Kid Flash it woulda been kinda funny for the Flash's sidekick to be faster than him. Sort of like Damian being dark Robin to the lighter Dick as Batman in the comics.

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By srk12

The thing that makes me believe Wally would have reappeared is in the manner in which he disappeared. I mean he wasn't straight away vaporized by the energy. He became more and more translucent and then simply faded away. Why would he have become translucent before dying? And the way his death was phrased that he had 'ceased' make me think that he vanished to a different dimension and a had ceased to exist in this world.

Anyways, as a big Wally fan, what pains me is the lack of reaction to his death. The scene with Artemis and Wally's parents was moving. But barring Artemis, Bart, Nightwing, and Barry and Kaldur to an extent, we didn't get to see the emotional reaction from the rest of his team mates. Not even from Megan and Connor who were his original team mates. It seems like his death was just as significant as Tula's within the context of this show which shouldn't be the case since Wally is an original founding member of the team.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By X9

@srk12 said:

The thing that makes me believe Wally would have reappeared is in the manner in which he disappeared. I mean he wasn't straight away vaporized by the energy. He became more and more translucent and then simply faded away. Why would he have become translucent before dying? And the way his death was phrased that he had 'ceased' make me think that he vanished to a different dimension and a had ceased to exist in this world.

Anyways, as a big Wally fan, what pains me is the lack of reaction to his death. The scene with Artemis and Wally's parents was moving. But barring Artemis, Bart, Nightwing, and Barry and Kaldur to an extent, we didn't get to see the emotional reaction from the rest of his team mates. Not even from Megan and Connor who were his original team mates. It seems like his death was just as significant as Tula's within the context of this show which shouldn't be the case since Wally is an original founding member of the team.

I agree with the first part.

And I can see your point, though I believe the reason for the lack of emotinal reaction was the short time they had to end the last episode. There were too many things to happen, so they had to give more importance to the facts, the story, not isolated characters.

As there was a third season planned, I'm sure they'd explore Wally's death with more details and with more characters. Even because there'd be the possibility of having him back.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ms__omega

I think Wally is in the Speedforce and hey would come back maybe a year later and more powerful but we will never know :(

srk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By srk12

@X9: Well they could have shown a funeral briefly. I thought it was a bit insulting that they basically used Wally's death as an excuse to bring Tim & Cassie and Connor & Megan together. Diminishes the impact of his death. As regards to Wally's death, I would like to believe that they would have continued to explore the impact of Wally's death in season 3.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#44  Edited By Teerack

I would of rather had Barry die to be honest. Then Wally could have taken over. One of the main reasons I thought wally was so cool in the comics was he was the only sidekick to take up the mantle of his mentor and become a core part of the Justice League.

greenwolf1019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone is forgetting wally west is the third flash so it comes to mind wally cant be dead just from that fact alone

MESBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC simply can't kill Wally west as in the DC universe he becomes the 3rd Flash

Also there are many examples of heros "dying" and then returning, like the official way Bart Allan comes into the present. Barry dies and people believe Iris does to but then Zoom appears pretending to be Barry, Wally defeats him then Iris returns from the future with Bart to save his life. Soo take that. We need a new series to explore this. Also Aritamis will eventually loose it like Arsenal if they are not careful.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkbearagator: I agree he is in the speed force and when/if he returned he will be more powerful.

Avatar image for khristian_willis
    Khristian_Willis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY NO SEASON 3?!?!?!

nez209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csguterres: my guess is that wally was transported to some other point in time. if so, maybe they could do something with the Legion of Superheroes. that is, if the show ever comes back.

fabulouselle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think at first they made Bart faster than Wally in order to justify that he really is the grandson of Barry but then "something happened" so they decided that it wasn't the right thing to do. To fix the mess, they killed Wally and they would probably make him return from the Speed Force as a faster version of himself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.