Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

You had one job!

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Matthew Vaughn did an excellent job with the X-men:First Class suits because they resembled the comics. Whedon took aspects from the comics too for The Avengers. Why can't they at least try to get the costumes slightly closer to their comic-book counterparts. I know the films are just adaptations of the characters but Bryan Singer has a no comic-book rule on set. He plans on going as far away from the comics as possible. Here's a poorly photo-shopped photo of more comic inspired costumes.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oscars94: part of me agrees with you, but I have two thoughts on the subject that made me not really mind:

1. I did think the movies did a pretty good job of making most of the characters instantly recognizable even without their costumes, which is maybe only something you could do with the X-men.

2. In the movie universe, the X-men are the only superheroes; so, without characters like Cap' or Spider-man to inform what that is aesthetically, it makes sense they would be less superhero-y. I mean, the first superhero in their world was sort of Magneto, and they don't want to be associated with him, right?

Also, I think it will just make it that much cooler if Marvel does ever get the rights back, since it will make their versions (which are bound to be closer to the source material), seem that much more definitive and distinct.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it really matter??

Its not like I can't tell the dude with horn hair and claws is Wolverine, or the black chick with white hair is Storm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve: @oldnightcrawler: I agree about it being cool that they are recognizable without their costumes. However the only reason I have a problem with them is Singer changed them simply because he didn't like them. Why make it then? I like the X-men movies though.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't care about changing costumes, race, design, powers but I draw the line at their personalities and they messed around with Iceman and Rogue way to much.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The X-Men films have their own style and presence. They established the leather team-suit look a long time ago and it's worked for them. I don't see any need to break out the costumes.

Besides, look at some of the 70s civilian outfits they'll be wearing. You want costumes, you got 'em right there.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

xrs10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And it was actually singer who liked the idea of the colourful costumes in first class. He was a very active producer and screenwriter on it :)

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

@emequious_swerve: @oldnightcrawler: I agree about it being cool that they are recognizable without their costumes. However the only reason I have a problem with them is Singer changed them simply because he didn't like them. Why make it then? I like the X-men movies though.

No, no, no, absolutely not true. He changed the costumes because at the time (2000), super hero movies weren't all the rage and some of the X-mens costumes, as they were wearing bright obnoxious costumes in the comics at the time, would have looked silly on film.

Also, the X-Men film world is more practical, so it makes sense they would just be wearing some sort of protective leather, kevlar, padded, uniform. In addition, they are not really recognized as super heroes in the film and are more or less a strike team that has to sneak into places they don't belong. Its not unlike the reason why a SWAT team or a group of NAvy Seals would wear dark colors.

Singer has stated these reasons for changing the costumes several times. Its not that he doesn't like them, its just that his X-Men film universe has become more reality based over the years. Also, as long as the story is good and the film is well made what they're wearing should be one of the smallest worries

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamTRMM

LOL no! The worst part of the Avengers movie was CA's silliest costume, Whedon thought if Coulson will approve, it'll make him look better? lol

Thank god we won't see this stuff in the X-movies (well, for now at least). Singer made a good decision to use more practical ALA black ops uniforms, still I had a problem with leather. It should be more protective since they mostly have just a human durability with a light-weight body armor ALA Nolan's Dark Knight (a second and improved version) with kneecaps and stuff. Of course, they could use a little of color, but mainly in details for the most recognizable colors per character, like red for Magneto and yellow for Wolvie and not like.. well you can see what I uploaded :)

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phisigmatau

@adamtrmm said:

LOL no! The worst part of the Avengers movie was CA's silliest costume, Whedon thought if Coulson will approve, it'll make him look better? lol

Thank god we won't see this stuff in the X-movies (well, for now at least). Singer made a good decision to use more practical ALA black ops uniforms, still I had a problem with leather. It should be more protective since they mostly have just a human durability with a light-weight body armor ALA Nolan's Dark Knight (a second and improved version) with kneecaps and stuff. Of course, they could use a little of color, but mainly in details for the most recognizable colors per character, like red for Magneto and yellow for Wolvie and not like.. well you can see what I uploaded :)

perfectly stated, couldnt agree anymore.
    I mean do comic book geeks really think that if a group of people who stumbled upon super powers really would dress this way?
    I don't get it. There is no logical reason behind it. If they had a uniform, yeah that would make sense. But It seems comic book geeks forget that the original reason for these zany outfits was to appeal to children who were the largest demographic for the comic media.

You nerds.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Also, the X-Men film world is more practical, so it makes sense they would just be wearing some sort of protective leather, kevlar, padded, uniform. In addition, they are not really recognized as super heroes in the film and are more or less a strike team that has to sneak into places they don't belong. Its not unlike the reason why a SWAT team or a group of NAvy Seals would wear dark colors.

Singer has stated these reasons for changing the costumes several times. Its not that he doesn't like them, its just that his X-Men film universe has become more reality based over the years. Also, as long as the story is good and the film is well made what they're wearing should be one of the smallest worries

I haven't read what Singer's reasons were, but all of those just make sense to me.

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skypilotbinky

It makes sense to me that super heroes dress the way they do to make themselves more recognizable to the general public. That's why the Fantastic Four all have 4s on their outfit. It basically lets the people know that this person is coming to help me, not to kill me. In the X-Men movies you wouldn't be able to tell the X-Men from the Brotherhood. They all dress in black. Toad could come up on an unsuspecting citizen and they'd be like "Oh look and X-Man!" and then they'd be dead.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By papad1992

@fodigg: I think the amount of 70s costumes that the characters will be sporting are enough for me. Plus the other part of the film is a dystopian future... if I were them, I wouldn't want to wear a brightly colored costume. Also, I still haven't seen any photos of the 70s X-Men's costumes yet. Maybe they'll look a tad different than the uniformed-look in the first movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.