Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men: The Last Stand vs X-Men: Apocalypse

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
    TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll X-Men: The Last Stand vs X-Men: Apocalypse (60 votes)

The Last Stand 22%
    Apocalypse 78%

So, since both resulted mediocre and a disappointment (as compared to their predecessors), let's see which one's preferred by the majority.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I can name more redeeming qualities for Apocalypse than Last Stand.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Its a tough one, but I think maybe Last Stand. The reason for this is that it actually felt like it had stakes and that the characters were in danger as many important characters were killed or cured. Though Apocalypse did have a much less crowded narrative, it seemed to reuse a lot of elements from previous X-Men movies. Last Stand is still a terrible movie that ruins lots of good characters and the Dark Pheonix Saga and Gifted story arcs, but it still felt like a conclusion to the trilogy and does offer some slight pay off.

NetherlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Last Stand killed the franchise. Apocalypse was just a disappointing movie to some.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xwraith said:

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Stand was garbage.

Cylcoverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse was more focused - ie, it's all about Apocalypse destroying the world! Last Stand felt like they had three decent movie plot and couldn't decide where to take it - Phoenix, Mutant Cure/Civil War, or Teenage Mutant Love Triangle Romance - so they mixed it all into one.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse is a good movie that could've been better just by having Apocalypse do more then he did.

Last Stand....sigh. Last Stand killed fan favorite characters, which never goes over well. But for as bad as that aspect effected the plot, the mutant cure/Magneto's brotherhood storyline was great. And Rogue's plot not culminating in a "I am mutant, here me roar" moment was a huge misstep for the character that was basically the protagonist of the movie verse.

Last Stand did 2 things right while there are 30 things preventing Last Stand from being great. Apocalypse did 30 things right, but there are 2 things that prevent it from being great (Apocalypse doesn't do much, Jean and Storms roles in the final battle could've been alluded too better).

In the end Apocalypse stomps though Last Stand has aged much better then you'd think

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse was great. You think less of it because you listen to blind critics

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked apocalypse. The comparison with las stand doesn't make any sense to me.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Stand was much worse than Apocalypse.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last Stand is my favorite X men movie to date. Alot of different characters got focus in that movie which is something I loved. Jean, Logan, Bobby, Magneto, Xavier and some others got some great and well thought out characterization. Besides the death of Cyclops and Rogue leaving the movie early it was fine. I mean Rogue being taken out of the movie made sense as at this time she didn't have control over her powers and she would have had to absorb someone else ability to fight in which case that person would have been out of commission. I mean who were they going to take out during the final battle in order to give Rogue a good fight scene and why didn't they just use that character instead?

As far as the Phoenix was concerned I think they translated it over to the film really well. They didn't make it extremely powerful and the showed the struggle Jean had controlling it. It was still mega powerful but I love how they didn't over do it by having her destroy the world or universe but that would have been to much. To show off the true Phoenix power there would need to be a ton of CGI and PIS for the characters to even defeat the Phoenix. If the true Phoenix was released than the film would have been like 10 minutes long and ended with the death of the Universe.

Now I will say that Cyclops should not have been killed at off in favor of Logan. Especially not that early or at all for that matter. He should have been the leaded of the X men not Logan but from a popularity contest Logan was the more popular character and the studio thought making him lead would be a bigger cash haul than using Cyclops. Same thing happened in Apocalypse with Mystique.

Apocalypse while not bad left a lot to be desired. The fight scenes weren't that good. Compared to Last Stand the fight scenes in Apocalypse seem like child play. They was no memorable fight in the movie. Storm was so underutilized same with the other horseman not named Magneto. The empowered horseman were being overwhelmed by average teenage mutants. They took a backseat to the movie even though they should have played a bigger role. Apocalypse himself looked stupid and wasn't really entertaining.

So my final judgement would be:

Story: XMLS>XMA

Fight: XMLS>XMA

Characters: Tie

All in All last stand was without a doubt better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse is mediocre, but cmon, that's too much.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is no comparison. xmen the last stand almost killed the franchise.

tb86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 636

To be fair I neither love nor hate these movies but I think I would go for Apocalypse as the better movie. I may also like it more than The Wolverine which is also an OK movie.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse. X3 is just all around a truly awful film with a few ok moments throughout.

Apocalypse has some decent acting, good moments but a weak script, villain and CG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

*Magneto shouts to the sky*

"Is this what you want from me?! Is this what I am?!"

That scene alone makes Apocalypse better than The Last Stand because of how funny it is. It's like Fassbender thought he was Macbeth instead of Magneto.

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By O-Face

@ready_4_madness: Lol how??

Just read this comparison between the comic and film version.

http://stay-tuned-true-believers.tumblr.com/post/150911716157/x-men-apocalypse-compared-to-the-comic-books

I'm surprised so many people haven't read Apocalypse's definitive and best story. That's what the movie version was mainly model after. With little elements from The Twelve.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@nerevarine_11: @christianrapper: @adamtrmm: @farkam: @immolation: @bullpr: @darthphoenix: @koays: @cylcoverine: @invain: @peterparkerjr: @netherlandman: @xwraith: @darkdetective27:

I think you should all know that there is one very awesome thing about The Last Stand and its that it started a fantastic arc for Xavier. Just watch this three videos to see what I mean.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Apocalypse is average if you look at it as a standalone film, but a pretty solid film if you look at it as the second part of Xavier's arc from DOFP.

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men Apocalypse is my favorite X-men movie. So, I like it better than The Last Stand.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RustyRoy

@xwraith said:

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Oh, The Last Stand is still terrible but I think its cool that Singer and co managed to make something good out of it.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were disapponting after strong entries (X2 and DOFP)

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse.

Not really much of a comparison here. Apocalypse wasn't great but it wasnt bad. The Last Stand was bad. Terrible writing and dialog. The only saving grace was the battle at the end.

Anopticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Anopticblast
    butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last Stand. apocalypse was probably one the worst xmen movies I had the displeasure of viewing. storytelling all over the place, rehashed story lines, awful fight scenes, the charles/Eric love fest, mystique being a hero of franchise... ugh it was a catastrophe and so happy singer is no responsible for making the xmen franchise irrelevant when compared to films like Dr. strange, Captain America, etc.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@butterflykyss:

The only thing that was rehashed was the Weapon X scene.

As for storytelling, The Last Stand was the one that was all over the place. Bunch storylines that had nothing to do with each other(Warren, Phoenix, The Cure, and the Iceman/Rogue/Kitty love triangle).

Apocalypse was far more focus as it was really just the second part of Xavier's story arc in Days of Future Past. It was about about Xavier's friends turned enemies(Mystique, Magneto, and Jean) going on a better path than in the original timeline now that Xavier has hope in them and/or not trying to control their lives. With Apocalypse just serving as an evil counterpart/foil for Xavier and the stepping stone for those three characters.

I'm surprised people who say The Last Stand is better don't seem to remember the Jean-Xavier relationship in that film, which was paid-off in Apocalypse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.