Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men: The Animated Series vs X-Men Evolution

BornToLose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll X-Men: The Animated Series vs X-Men Evolution (74 votes)

X-Men: The Animated Series 58%
    X-Men Evolution 42%
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Which show was better?

• 
    tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were good, but the original handled adult themes better.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were good, but the original handled adult themes better.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men Evolution....

TAS didn't have to handle themes they just watered down the emotions expressed in the original storyline...that's why Rogue comes off as bipolar with ADHD because however she might be feeling in one story arc doesn't carry over to the next... Because she doesn't have a character arc from one episode to the next.

Compare that too Evolutions Rogue who's relationship with Mystique alone is a recurring theme and one of several character arcs she is juggling at once alongside the main story.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Immolation

I preferred X-Men: The Animated Series because that's the one I grew up with. Initially I didn't like the concept of Evolution but I do remember enjoying some episodes from the later seasons. I never really got into the show like I did with the one from the 90's.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Immolation

@koays said:

X-Men Evolution....

TAS didn't have to handle themes they just watered down the emotions expressed in the original storyline...that's why Rogue comes off as bipolar with ADHD because however she might be feeling in one story arc doesn't carry over to the next... Because she doesn't have a character arc from one episode to the next.

Compare that too Evolutions Rogue who's relationship with Mystique alone is a recurring theme and one of several character arcs she is juggling at once alongside the main story.

That's because X-Men: The Animated Series is a product of its time period. You can say the same thing about Batman: The Animated Series. We didn't really see overlapping themes in cartoons until the mid 90's.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evolution in a stomp. And it didn't even have Jubilee who I think is awesome.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: Nothing wrong with that, but Batman X-Men and Spiderman TAS came out around the same time and Spidermans cast had lots of development and plotlines that overlapped and expanded their stories as well as the shows.mythos....we don't take that away from the show, but we do use it to show what makes it stand out among the three.

Same thing with evolution.... What makes it stand out is how it takes the 3 episode arc style that TAS had and improves upon it by carrying the weight into new episodes that follow. Its not like animation differences where some things just weren't available... Its a different technique for writing episodes that leads to characters repeatedly Learning the same lessons or not calling back to previous events outside of arcs related to those events .instead it falls somewhere between episodic and full continuity which can sometimes come off strange.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Spider-Man was the first show I remember doing it. Every episode seemed to be a two parter and we would see the protagonist learn and grow from his experiences as the show progressed. It came out in 1994. Batman caught on when it changed its name for Season 2 in 1995. Unfortunately X-Men didn't catch on in its later seasons. It definitely would of made the show better.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evolution

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Evolution is better but I have more fondness for TAS due to nostalgia.

Where is the X-Men animated series for the next generation?!

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evolution

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By infantfinite128

Evolution had better animation, voice acting, and writing, but I prefer TAS.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, X-Men TAS is hard to undermine because it launched a whole generation of X-Men fans, at the same time however, it has also been a cancer to the franchise as many people just see perceive that show as what the X-Men "is" and always should be.

X-Men Evolution was wank. It was like a CW show for young kids with mutants in it. I was a bit older when it was on so maybe my opinion isn't best to consider.

@koays: Spider-Man was the first show I remember doing it. Every episode seemed to be a two parter and we would see the protagonist learn and grow from his experiences as the show progressed. It came out in 1994. Batman caught on when it changed its name for Season 2 in 1995. Unfortunately X-Men didn't catch on in its later seasons. It definitely would of made the show better.

Thundercats had continuity. Sure, the majority of episodes were basically one-offs but there was continuity. There was also 5 part episodes where a big event would happen.

Imbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

X-Men TAS. Evolution was only created due to the success of the movies and was aimed at a younger audience. I also didn't like the art style.

NetherlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men TAS

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS. No contest. XE was boring and I didn't like the art style.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Evolution because Jean in that show doesn't suck.

Compare this:

Loading Video...

To this:

Loading Video...

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote Wolverine and the Xmen

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men evolution 100%. I couldn't stand how the animation in TAS just looked so static. Everyone moved so slowly and it made the action scene just so... boring. I also liked how the show handled all of its relationships. As someone already mentioned, the relationship between Kurt, Rogue and Mystique was always relevant and I feel like Evolution gave me the best understanding of Mystique. Also, making Jean a teenager meant that there was no love triangle with Logan and Cyclops, and that was just so extremely refreshing for all involved.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By jumpstart55
    • Both were good...But X-men: Tas is miles upon miles ahead of Xmen:Evolution..And its not even close.
    • One felt more like a teen soap opera(X-men Evolution) And the other one(X: men Tas) felt like an epic, sociopolitical, Action Thriller, Sci fi adventure.
    PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, but X-Men TAS has gone through to more famous stories than Evolution, which stopped before the Dark Phoenix Saga. :'(

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I voted for TAS. Because I loved Weak and squishy Jean. :) Her VA played her marvelously.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

I like the X-men from TAS, because they WERE NOT overwhelmingly powerful, and had good weaknesses. Jean of this universe was never meant to be superhumanly overwhelming. Which is why I liked her a lot.

She's my main in Marvel heroes.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Compare this:

Loading Video...

To this:

Loading Video...

Well in the defense of TAS Jean. She was strong, she had her moment.s but was never meant to be the Super powered Phoenix persona forever. She was meant to be a Support character. Not every hero has to be overwhelming. Also. He picked and chose the bits of Evolution where she appeared amazing, but still had TAS Jeans weaknesses. The first four min she wasn't exactly herself.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-MEN TAS

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can tell a lot of people in this thread are pretty young , X-Men TAS stomps , sorry but evolution was overrated

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can tell some people in this thread are insecure and feel the need to put down others for thinking one animated show is better than another.

I grew up on TAS, it was my first experience with the X-men and I would rush off the bus from school to catch the newest episode.

Later in life I also remember doing the same thing for Evolution.

Looking back on them both now, if you asked me which one would I rather watch...id say Evolution. TAS was a product of its times before series really started getting into continuous stories and character arcs. As others have said, the characters in Evolution grew and evolved (heh) as the series went on. Kurt and Rogues relationship with their mother being the best and most obvious example. Yeah it had more teenage drama and didn't really hit your "standard" iconic X-men stories. But TAS's version of character drama was Scott or Logan shouting JEAAAN and blandly arguing over her, and while they hit many classic arcs, it was often compressed into a few episodes (rather than a season), and characters growth didnt always carry over after it was all done

TAS told stories we all know and loved (or later in life found the source material and learned to love), but due to its time those stories were very watered down.

Evolution decided to tell a completely different story, but it told its story better, imo

Worth noting I feel Wolverine and the X-men had some decent potential. It tied into classic X-men story arcs, and had continuous plot and character development. It was unfortunately held back by living up to its name of WOLVERINE andthexmen. The hardcore focus on him i think was a detriment to the series.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5985fcc3a539d
    deactivated-5985fcc3a539d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men: TAS for me

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men TAS

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xmen the animated series.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The one without Jubilee.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Manchine: So neither? She was in both.

Very little of one. Only like 7 or 8 episodes in 3 seasons. Compared to probable 1/2 to 2/3 in 5 seasons.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compare this:

Loading Video...

To this:

Loading Video...

well to be fair, Jean was pretty useless prior to Phoenix in 616,

and I chose Xmen TAS

As others have said, it handled adult themes much better, the animation and acting was much better and more aligned to the source material. Evolution was ok (not as bad as WATX and definitely not as bad as Xmen Anime) but I think of the two Xmen TAS did the best in staying true to the claremont stories (source material) which I love!

Minako_Mori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men TAS.

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
    ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too hard to decide. X-men animated series is legendary but Evolution is more fun to watch.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@butterflykyss: Yeah, because it was the Silver Age which wasn't a great time for female characters in comics.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By butterflykyss

@DevilMayehm666 said:

@butterflykyss: Yeah, because it was the Silver Age which wasn't a great time for female characters in comics.

well I don't know. Claremont was known for making or writing powerful women. this is where we got storm, Rogue, Jean (phoenix), etc. well at least for the xmen in the 70s, 80s Claremont took risk by allowing a black woman to lead.

Autobelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Autobelli

IMO, X-Men TAS had consistently stronger storylines, superior voice-acting and better animation. While AKOM did make some animation errors, the animation in X-Men Evolution seems childish in contrast to TAS.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.