Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men Run vs Run 2.0- Gillen's Uncanny X-Men v2 VS Carey's 'X-Men'

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll X-Men Run vs Run 2.0- Gillen's Uncanny X-Men v2 VS Carey's 'X-Men' (14 votes)

Gillen's Uncanny 43%
    Carey's X-Men 57%

(I have an excuse this time....i'm lazy)

Match 12 in the Tournament

Previously-

Match 1- In a rematch from last year Morrison once again "Murderstomped" Bendis' run.

Match 2- Saw Joss Whedon's Astonishing defeat Lobdell's Uncanny X-Men run. (Though the battle continues

Match 3- Is seeing an interesting battle between Claremont and Davis' Exaclibur and Peter David's X-Factor with X-Factor seemingly in the lead.

Match 4- Has Jason Aaron's WatX-Men run against Austen's Uncanny X-Men run. With a Austen in the lead via the poll.

Match 5- Has a solid victory for Cullen Bunn's Magneto over Carey's X-Men Legacy

Match 6- Has a tight match between Fraction's Uncanny and Claremont's X-Treme, with Claremont in a slight lead.

Match 7- Has a great debate between K&Y's X-Force vs and Remender's Uncanny X-Force...though Uncanny X-Force seems to be solidly winning in the polls

Match 8- Sees Lobdell's Gen X and K&Y's New X-Men going back and forth with New X-Men breaking away in the polls.

Match 9- Sees X-Men Forever being beaten into a corner by Ultimate X-Men.

Match 10- Sees X-Factor's O5 gain a good majority over All New X-Men's time lost O5

Match 11- Has a good match where Old Man Logan is edging out Magneto Testament

(All battles are ongoing until end of R1)

NOW
    Gillen's Uncanny X-Men Vol 2 spun out of the Schism event and saw Cyclops form a team from some of the most powerful mutants remaining on Utopia following the departure of a large group of X-Men. The team, featuring Magneto, Colossus (possessed by the Juggernaut), Magik (Having recently ended the world for personal reasons), Emma Frost (Former White Queen of the HellFIre Club) and Namor; was brought together with the intention of handling the most dangerous threats to mutant kind and the planet, while reminding people that mutants are as powerful as they are dangerous. This team would take on Mr. Sinister, the mysterious Tabula Rosa, and even the Avengers and the Phoenix Force in their quest to show that mutant kind is a force to be re conned with.

VS

Carey's X-Men v1 (starting around X-Men 180) picked up from the end of Austen's run and showcased the formation of a team of darker X-Men following M-Day and the Decimation. Primarily focused on Rogue as she fall into a leadership role, this run would see her joined by Iceman and Cannonball as they attempt to keep control of their reluctant and/or unpredictable teammates (including Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Sabretooth, Omega Sentinel and Cable). The team would face off against Apocalypse controlled allies, the Marauders, and Mr Sinister as each of the teams members plots behind the scenes.

Both of these teams have a large number of villainous members...BUT- Which do you think is better?

Gillen's Uncanny
    Gillen's Uncanny
    Carey's X-Men
    Carey's X-Men
     • 
    Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Carey's X-Men more.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Invain

Carey.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

i didnt hate gillens run, i enjoyed the premise and liked the cast well enough however it really seemed to be taken over by avx and then it was gone, it was short and kind of ended flat.

Carey's X men was one of my favorites i just recently reread it and love the super novas story, i love bachelo and ramos art and the team itself was great Cannonball, Iceman, Rogue, Cable, Lady Mastermind, Omega Sentinel, Mystique and Sabertooth was really great using alot of lesser known characters and villains to kind of fight out of the box it was good Im a big fan and imo it wins by a long shot

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My vote is with Carey, pretending that this does not cover any of X-Men Legacy, which was quite boring.

I think Gillen's strongest work was in the AVX epilogue, AVX Consequences. If Gillen had continued with that concept--which eventually became the foundation for Bendis' Uncanny--I think he would of had one of the best modern day X-Men runs. His Illyana is particularly excellent and he knew how to make me root for Cyclops and Emma--who I was experiencing fatigue of with Fraction's fratty run on Uncanny X-Men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gillen's run was butchered by AvX.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

I don't remember either of these series all that much, although Careys run had Bachalo and Cannonball, so that's a win from me.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I picked Carey's run. The Supernovas trade is awesome. Gillen was good too and his premise of the Extinction team was one of the best mission statements for the Xmen. I would have loved for him to have a linger run and he should have actually handled the Revolution instead of Bendis. Though his premise was great the writing was OK and he seemed to be hitting his stride in AVX consequences which was better than the whole damned AVX event.

This was a tough choice but Carey executed a little better though Gillen had the best premise, he just didn't have long enough to develop everything

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a way i;ve been kind of bothered by the negative way alot of people seem to view Gillen as time passes (I personally acknowledge he's over hyped, but still was an enjoyable read) but i'm not ready to rush to his defense because I feel like Carey is so freaking underrated it' scary and i don't want to take this moment from him....hmm torn

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll need a short rereading session to commit. It's going to be a hard pick.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so with a short delay (a friggin month already? I didn't even.. dam sux to be a student, but better someday than never right?) I can finally say that I'm ready to at least try and cast my vote because both runs are totally worthy with some major and positive contributions for the X-mythos from those points on.

Both runs had some of the most explosive, diverse and incredibly interesting casts that with a sheer fact of them being on the page would make you want to read those comics (if you have something similar to what we call "taste" of course ;)) and when we talk about writers as good as Gillen and Carey, we already know it's gonna be something much, much more than just that. And that's why, in that area, the question isn't just "whose cast was better" because with all due respect to Carey and his roster, Gillen' Extinction team will stomp by default. It's probably my favorite lineup in all comics and maybe even like in everything... yeah, that's a confession (even to myself?) of kinds I try to avoid of making for the most time, but that's me being more than honest right here. In all seriousness, what kind of comic book fan wouldn't possibly be at least interested in a roster that involves Colossus' metamorphose into Juggernaut reunited with his little snowflake (in his myopic vision) who's in fact a twisted Hell-lord, now sharing the similar curse together? Namor and Storm who are both respectively King and Queen of Atlantis and Wakanda at a time? Scott and Emma showing more and more signs to the crisis in their relationship as the result of Schism and more. Yeah, and don't forget Magneto with Hope Summers, with latter being the center of mutant universe in that moment and former to just be there duh. All it needed to have Archangel or Omega Sentinel instead of Danger to be really perfect. Too perfect even. Anyway, getting back to the main point, it's not about undermining Carey's team, it's just things that we learn in comparison. The real question is, whose handling was better? Because that's where Gillen's flaws are going to be exposed pointwise. Will be getting there.

I will admit, as cliched as it was, the Namor/Emma/Scott apparent love triangle (of which Cycko wasn't even aware, the best part!) was on point. I really loved the idea of that emotionally, on a personal level, Cyclops might not be as well-guarded as he is at almost anything else, and that in time, the impact will be felt. And that's not even the main concern on the vast landscape of responsibilities, extravaganzas and rendezvouses he had to deal with. Again just think about the whole roster. And the fact they're extincting. Seriously, the concept was greatest. And the first arc was really strong. The revision committed on Sinister was just incredible (imagine my disappointment when I had to witness Lemire's most recent devolution and unimaginativeness with him) but I had that point covered already on multiple other threads on the Vine so I won't be getting more into details here. Even with Magneto being "plot" sidelined in that arc, and Sinister/Magneto panel-sharing was something I've been waiting long for, I was ok with that it's not happening in the setup arc (eventually it never did but that's a different issue). The fourth issue was the proof to the statement I kept repeating on these boards, guy's just that creative when he's on it. A single issue villain that steals the whole show... and from such team of so many favorites, and also explained the changes Sinister had went through at the same time. I love to be surprised and I was. Yet, from there, it all slowly slips down in quality. The next Tabula Rasa arc was... meh to say the least. And switching from Pacheco to Land didn't help either. Yeah that arc did setup the fan favorite dynamic between Magneto and Psylocke (that I'm pretty sure also inspired the recent depiction of Uncanny as well) but besides numerous character moments, that was a waste of 4 issues for the stories that might've been told instead, especially knowing that everything that comes after is an either pre-AvX or the AvX tie ins which makes the realization even more painful. The tie ins weren't bad, but then again it's not exactly what I really wanted to read about. That's why I'm considering the Fear Itself and AvX:Consequences to be additional parts of that run for the voting, because it's basically the prologue/epilogue to Gillen's work on Uncanny. And both were glorious.

We can argue all day and night if it was forced on him and that his show unapologetically switched the show-runner (and thus, their demands) but the fact is, it never gets as good as the first four issues (of vol.2) + FI/AvX:C tie ins that sets up such an incredible dynamic between Magik and Colossus that culminated by the end and was basically the apex of this run, but the things he achieved and set in motion deserve to be highlighted regardless:

Cyclops embracing belligerence. Ending his and Emma's relationship. In a different fashion, doing the same for Colossus and Magik. The transformation of Sinister. Making sense out of nonsensical AvX and almost restoring everything and everyone in the process (that achievement alone worth some writers' entire careers).

Now, about Carey's X-men. The first thing I'm going to emphasize on is his ability to write 20 characters at once and still to manage making them all sound distinguishable and almost all the time, spot on and true to the character. That's the main reason I miss him so much right now. Anyway, back to our specifics - Supernovas. The first arc, as usual sets the tone and carefully switches priorities if we're talking about respectful writers with appreciation for continuity and Carey is both. The narrative does address the previous run's plots, but at the same time emphasizes on a new direction and shapes the main plot around those same characters, old and new that are going to be central for what is future to be. The fun thing is, after Rogue is being asked to assemble her own "respond unit" the team assembles itself while responding. Those she has chosen herself aren't the only ones to stick around, some aren't there voluntarily and are in for their agenda, others are to be monitored, some happen to be sleeping agents and others may be as well they just don't know that. The dynamics are explosive by default, that with a strong characterization and writing in general, multiple and intriguing plot points, all is extremely appealing in every sense I can possibly think of. Maybe the art wasn't the strongest part of it, as I'm not biggest Bachalo and Ramos fan, but I must admit I wasn't also that much bothered by it. Ramos' art was actually much better than his recent work on Extra even. Another moment to say to Carey's credit would be his ability to dig the forgotten characters and bring them back to the spotlight: Marauders, Exodus, Omega Sentinel, as well as his appreciation to a younger cast, New X-men had few, yet pretty nice appearances that what is more importantly were done with respect to these characters as well disregarding the trend for OOC appearances that most of the time happen with some shallow agendas of throwing them under the bus for all them unjustified reasons.

Yet, for all multiple praises Carey deserves, there's something that I must add, and that would be the most problematic part of his pretty short run, it's not really memorable. It's hard to highlight something to really standout as a big and definitive plot twist or character developments. His work is of quality, that's for certain, but just wasn't iconic in this regard.

Summarizing everything said, it's really hard to pick a winner in this one as Gillen had more highlights yet in the same time more quality drops, while Carey was pretty consistent in delivering good work but without highlights. One thing is certain, noth are extremely talented writers with a strong grasp on X-mythos and are very much missed on the books if you ask me. I think I'll concede a draw right here. A rare example quality works compared, so if anything I'd love the franchise to be filled with that kind of resolutions more in the future. That would mean we actually have multiple good books to look for.

A little of topic, did anyone read creator owned projects from Gillen and Carey? I was thinking of getting the trades of Suicide Risk and Uber, are they good?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Carey's run was great on the whole. Very, very good. I really enjoyed the pre-Messiah Complex issues and the post-MC Professor X issues. I do feel it became a bit too much of a Rogue solo book for me around 2009/10, but then it picked up again! Very good.

Gillen's Uncanny was great, but wish he'd had a longer run - i.e. him doing Uncanny post AvX and him doing the Cyclops Revolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.