Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-men: DOFP New Costumes

• 66 results
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@skypilotbinky said:

@poisonfleur said:

@papad1992 said:\

Image 1 is post X-Tinction Agenda when Storm and Wolfsbane where shaved bald on Genosha. Image 2 is Storm's look after the X-Men movies declared superhero costumes "lame" and Marvel fell in line. 2 horrible examples, and I'm pretty sure the only 2 "plenty of times" Storm has had short hair.

She also had a short hair cut in X-Treme X-Men

Thank you^ I didn't realize I needed to source all the times she had short hair. I thought 2 examples would get my point across and why it's okay Storm in the film has short hair.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you hit it on the head. The X-movies don't have much of a purpose for Storm in the movies. It's like Matt Fractions comics. Storm was there, but he never gave Storm a change to be that memorable.

I think Storm could play great Ultimate Storm if given the right opportunity. But 616-Storm save that for Angela Basset.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
    MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@farkam: Actually like I said I get it don't tell me what I don't get I know every actors is not right for every part but how are you suppose to tell if the past isn't even written correctly.?!

An uh no presence comes from both the actor an the writing a character from a book can have presence do to the writing. In a movie both the writing an acting must work together to give that presence to the audience

MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: Yall an Anglea LoL Anglea is to old to play her an she doesn't have to look for me :/ the acting is there just not the look

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@magnificentstorm said:

@farkam: Actually like I said I get it don't tell me what I don't get I know every actors is not right for every part but how are you suppose to tell if the past isn't even written correctly.?!

An uh no presence comes from both the actor an the writing a character from a book can have presence do to the writing. In a movie both the writing an acting must work together to give that presence to the audience

I'll stop saying so once you start showing me that you are following along. Which you didn't, since you were yapping on about something utterly different from what I was saying. That or you just barely understand English. Halle Berry carries no commanding presence about her. Get rid her and put someone in who did you would at least get that, if nothing else. It's the actor, not the writing. You can't "write" presence into an actors performance. Some people are just not commanding, intimidating, etc. regardless of how much they can act. Not everyone is right for a role, regardless of how well they can act or well written their character is in the script.

MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MagnificentStorm

@farkam: wow ur such a internet as hole

But it's ok not everyone wins them all :/

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DarkDay

@darkday: yeah, despite being mind-controlled in his best action scene, Nightcrawler was, I thought, surprisingly faithful to the comics. His story was a bit different, but his character was there.

Other than him, only Xavier, Magneto, and sometimes Wolverine, really resembled their comic book counterparts in terms of characterization. I don't think that's entirely bad, though. Mystique, for example, despite being one of my favorites from the comics and pretty drastically different in the films (especially First Class), was still one of my favorite characters in the films.

yeah, the Last Stand was just a train wreck.

Honestly I agree about Mystique, but then I enjoyed the heck out of movie Mystique for what she was, though again...Last Stand felt the need to kick that characterization while it was down too...

Magneto most assuredly might have turned on her after she was human, but I doubt that would suddenly have her flipping on him (she might track him down after escaping and there being heck to pay) and inversely First Class...ew...the way she just left Charles shot on the ground was a pretty big piece of characterization confusion I don't even think the writers noticed. Or they didn't get the chance to truly expand on it as a concept, but either way it was weak and you feel it there.

@darkday: I liked last stand true they did try to put about 3 movie concepts into one movie but I liked it for the most part I think I was well written while there were many concepts u didn't get lost in the movie add to the direction it was going.

As for Storm I've never felt that she was written to where she should be at all. You never really felt that strong presence she brings or leadership.

While I didn't enjoy the movie, I can say that there are things it did that I liked and things I didn't. One of them was trying to give Storm a stronger leadership role and presence and while I find that awesome, they also sort of fell pretty short of where they could have gone with some thing like that. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the performance, but either way it sort of came up short. Then there was Cyke's useless and pretty much senseless death. Plus I really hated their Callisto and her power set, not to mention the gathering of mutants they decided on for Magneto's troops.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By poisonfleur

@magnificentstorm said:

@poisonfleur: Yall an Anglea LoL Anglea is to old to play her an she doesn't have to look for me :/ the acting is there just not the look

Clearly you haven't been watching this last season of American Horror Story Coven. I swear in some scenes it's straight up STORM! But you are right, I wouldn't want to see Angela with a Mohawk.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@darkday said:

Honestly I agree about Mystique, but then I enjoyed the heck out of movie Mystique for what she was, though again...Last Stand felt the need to kick that characterization while it was down too...

Magneto most assuredly might have turned on her after she was human, but I doubt that would suddenly have her flipping on him (she might track him down after escaping and there being heck to pay) and inversely First Class...ew...the way she just left Charles shot on the ground was a pretty big piece of characterization confusion I don't even think the writers noticed. Or they didn't get the chance to truly expand on it as a concept, but either way it was weak and you feel it there.

I really liked 'First Class; really, when I think about how Mystique was different in the movies, it's the one I think of since it not only drastically changes her origin, but Xavier's as well. It makes her a different character in some ways, but definitely more integral to the story overall. For alt.-reality X-men stories, it's probably my favorite.

I know what you mean about her turning against Xavier at the end, how it seemed especially strange given the context of the scene, and her history with him. When I watched the scene again, it almost played for me like she didn't even want to go, and yet Xavier didn't seem especially betrayed or even surprised that she does. This made me wonder if maybe this was a set up for a reveal that he actually asked her, telepathically, to go with Magneto, to follow him. I don't know if that's where they were intending to go with that, but it would make a lot of sense to the story if they did.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

I really liked 'First Class; really, when I think about how Mystique was different in the movies, it's the one I think of since it not only drastically changes her origin, but Xavier's as well. It makes her a different character in some ways, but definitely more integral to the story overall. For alt.-reality X-men stories, it's probably my favorite.

I know what you mean about her turning against Xavier at the end, how it seemed especially strange given the context of the scene, and her history with him. When I watched the scene again, it almost played for me like she didn't even want to go, and yet Xavier didn't seem especially betrayed or even surprised that she does. This made me wonder if maybe this was a set up for a reveal that he actually asked her, telepathically, to go with Magneto, to follow him. I don't know if that's where they were intending to go with that, but it would make a lot of sense to the story if they did.

I rolled my eyes so hard at Mystique in first class. Not only did she try and molest half the cast, I found it plain rude when she left Xavier dying on the beach to roll with Magneto. Who in their right or left mind would do that to a life long friend who helped you out when you were a stranger and homeless? Seriously think about it... She comes off as a thirsty h0. And not only that-- She tried to freak everyone in the cast with the exception of Azazel???? *sigh* wouldn't that have made the most sense??? No? *rolls eyes again*

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rolled my eyes so hard at Mystique in first class. Not only did she try and molest half the cast, I found it plain rude when she left Xavier dying on the beach to roll with Magneto. Who in their right or left mind would do that to a life long friend who helped you out when you were a stranger and homeless? Seriously think about it... She comes off as a thirsty h0. And not only that-- She tried to freak everyone in the cast with the exception of Azazel???? *sigh* wouldn't that have made the most sense??? No? *rolls eyes again*

That's why I was inclined to think it was actually Xavier's idea.

As for her character, I thought she came off as wanting some kind of acceptance or validation, the way someone who'd only had one friend her whole life might be likely to do. Most everything else she does in the movie makes sense in the context of the story.

Don't you think it's a bit of a double standard to criticize her character for that, and not, say, Xavier, who is depicted blatantly flirting with every other woman in the story?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By poisonfleur

@poisonfleur said:

As for her character, I thought she came off as wanting some kind of acceptance or validation, the way someone who'd only had one friend her whole life might be likely to do. Most everything else she does in the movie makes sense in the context of the story.

Don't you think it's a bit of a double standard to criticize her character for that, and not, say, Xavier, who is depicted blatantly flirting with every other woman in the story?

Okay, I hear you on that. I now see where you are coming from. BUT-- I don't think it was Xavier's idea for her to leave. And if it was, they should have made that much more evident.
    With that being said, You can't knock Charles too much for not wanting to date Raven. It was implied that he viewed her as a sister and did more for her than anyone else did. Raven had too many episodes of unrequited love-- Which is crazy because she is HOT in any skin color. I don't care how much of a jerk one of my life long friends were, I don't think I would leave them dying on the beach. (Is it odd that I think Halle would have done better playing Mysique instead of Storm?) I am still pissy about Mystique and Azazel. She had ONE JOB-- and that was to flirt with Azazel... Instead she flirted with the other half of the cast. :/

The only way they can make this up to me is if Mystique befriends Destiny and those two end up being Nightcrawler's parents.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DarkDay

@oldnightcrawler said:

@darkday said:

Honestly, the telepathy explanation works better than anything the movie actually puts forth and I could even see it given Charles's nature and the nature of his relationship with Magneto up until that point. But the thing is, it wouldn't have been hard for them to slip that in. Charles in pain, looks up at her and we here a disembodied voice over that is Charles. "Go, Raven. Protect my friend. Especially from himself." Simple as that we have a set up that is interesting and suitably complex when you think about it. Raven is protecting Mags because Xavier wants her to and inversely she also has a certain attraction to Mags and his ideals. I think it works beautifully.

@poisonfleur said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@poisonfleur said:

Okay, I hear you on that. I now see where you are coming from. BUT-- I don't think it was Xavier's idea for her to leave. And if it was, they should have made that much more evident.

With that being said, You can't knock Charles too much for not wanting to date Raven. It was implied that he viewed her as a sister and did more for her than anyone else did. Raven had too many episodes of unrequited love-- Which is crazy because she is HOT in any skin color. I don't care how much of a jerk one of my life long friends were, I don't think I would leave them dying on the beach. (Is it odd that I think Halle would have done better playing Mysique instead of Storm?) I am still pissy about Mystique and Azazel. She had ONE JOB-- and that was to flirt with Azazel... Instead she flirted with the other half of the cast. :/

The only way they can make this up to me is if Mystique befriends Destiny and those two end up being Nightcrawler's parents.

LOL.

Honesty I agree with @oldnightcrawler here. We get a lot of scenes that basically stress how lonesome Raven's life has been. It was worse before Charles assuredly, but we get cues that though it has improved because of Charles, even with this improvement she is left as a sort of outcast even still (Charles was really her only friend and she wanted more than that.) Which is even stranger when you remember that she is a shapeshifter and can literally be anyone, so I think the Charles flirting with anything that wasn't her burns a bit more with that in mind. She could literally be anyone for him, and he's just like "Yeah, no thanks..." That's not to say that he was wrong in his view of her as his family, but come on he's a telepath and a genius to boot and he's sort of pretending he doesn't see the problem or what it is obviously doing to the self esteem of someone he cares about.

So yeah, she totally shouldn't have left him bleeding on a beach, but he was really being a jerk even if he doesn't see it like that. Also I find that Mystique totally wasn't being a ho, if anything she was really looking for acceptance and that has to be pretty hard for her and continued to be. Especially given how she reacted in X-2 when her and Nightcrawler were discussing her power or even the various times she mentions it throughout the rest of the series.

Her ideals end up drawing a really interesting parallel between her feelings and her abilities. She is the one mutant that doesn't have to fight and yet she's also the one mutant that can't afford not to because running away would be so easy.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, they gave her a different job, and I thought it made for a good story.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

Honestly, the telepathy explanation works better than anything the movie actually puts forth and I could even see it given Charles's nature and the nature of his relationship with Magneto up until that point. But the thing is, it wouldn't have been hard for them to slip that in. Charles in pain, looks up at her and we here a disembodied voice over that is Charles. "Go, Raven. Protect my friend. Especially from himself." Simple as that we have a set up that is interesting and suitably complex when you think about it. Raven is protecting Mags because Xavier wants her to and inversely she also has a certain attraction to Mags and his ideals. I think it works beautifully.

Yeah, I think it makes the most sense, and the idea for not revealing it could be that they thought it would be a stronger reveal later in the story (like in a sequel). it gives them some wiggle room to work with this new Mystique's true motives.

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By skypilotbinky

@poisonfleur said:

@emequious_swerve said:

@skypilotbinky said:

@poisonfleur said:

@papad1992 said:\

Image 1 is post X-Tinction Agenda when Storm and Wolfsbane where shaved bald on Genosha. Image 2 is Storm's look after the X-Men movies declared superhero costumes "lame" and Marvel fell in line. 2 horrible examples, and I'm pretty sure the only 2 "plenty of times" Storm has had short hair.

She also had a short hair cut in X-Treme X-Men

Thank you^ I didn't realize I needed to source all the times she had short hair. I thought 2 examples would get my point across and why it's okay Storm in the film has short hair.

Well I can source a time when she was completely bald. Perhaps Halle Berry should shave her head for her next portrayal of Storm. My point is basing a character off of a very unpopular version of the character that appeared for a limited time in the comics doesn't make sense. Especially when your first example is something that happened to Storm against her will. The very very short time she spent with short hair in Xtreme X-Men falls into the second category along with the Ultimate version of Storm. Citing versions of Storm that were influenced by the movies as reasons for her appearance in the movies is circular logic. Storm's two most popular hairstyles are her original long hair and the mohawk. There was also a time when she had a short in back long in front style.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just think Halle not growing her hair for her portrayal of Storm shows her lack of commitment to the character. She's there for name value alone which is a shame because she could have been a very good Storm. Halle has the gift of youth and can grow very beautiful hair that most her age can't and it's a shame she doesn't take advantage of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.