Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why You Should Read HOUSE OF M

• 78 results
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@m3th said:

This is the 1st book from the "Why You Should Read" articles/threads that I've actually read. I loved House of M. ( + )

Fixed

and I'm back In Blacck Ai Apec is my current icon

( + )

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

house of m was a great story line

jackassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought it was a great story arc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Nice work. House of M definitely set the stage for many things to come in the Marvel Universe. Unlike most big events where there are few and often not any repercussions this one left its lasting imprint for quite some time. Is it the best written story ever? No, but it is very important in the grand scheme of things at Marvel. Quite a few of the tie ins were cool too especially the Spider-Man stuff.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tximinoman

House of M broke the X-Men books for years.

After this and unitl Schism and AvengersVSX-men every single thing the mutants did sucked.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I would just read it because it is one of the more important stories that bridges the mutants to the non mutant characters. It is still relevent today and characters are still greatly impacted by what happened. must read. and the tie-ins are all interesting as well.

ThreadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art alone is worth the price of admission.

Love the new layout by the way.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

I have to say, House of M is one of my all time favourite comic events. I can't really explain exactly why that is, I just like it a lot. *shrugs*

djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

I read it. I thought it was awesome. I think it was definitely recommended as the first place to start for anyone getting into X-Men because it explained their current situation and why Scott was acting the way he was. However, now I'd probably just tell people to start at AvX.

Also, it introduced Layla Miller! (X-Factor!!) She was one of the only people to know the House of M world was messed up.

Mr_Holmes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need to read House of M, just know that mutants have been reduced to 198. It's better than most Marvel events, but I don't think it was good. Wiping out the mutant population was a huge mistake. And the fact that Wanda completely walked free for what she did is just BS.

Turkeysammich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave a friend of mine the House of M and Second Coming hardcovers a few months ago and it pulled him back into comics. I feel that says just how good and important it is.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#63  Edited By lorex

House of M was not a bad story line in and of itself. It was a typical (well typical for X-Men) alternate reality story, also Layla Miller was introduced as well. What I really did not like was the M-Day and the Decimation, that caused me to stop reading Marvel for a few years. When I came back I found the tone of the X-Men had become very dark as all the nut jobs were coming out of the woodwork to try to finish the mutants off. On top of that it was clear the Decimation was a editorial decision to try to fix previous editorial oversights that allowed the mutant population to swell into the millions and it was becoming impossible for the "Heroes" to ignore the horrible things being done to mutants. So instead of tackling the issue and maybe make a modern parallel to the lingering racism in the US they made the problem go away by removing most of the mutants. Its only now several years later that they are tackling the issue. I feel a great story telling opportunity was missed and a quick fix was used instead.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I love the premise of the story but not officially read it word for word yet. But now, I must...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#65  Edited By amazing_webhead

I had definitely been considering it.

K3vinkha0S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really love these "Why you should read" articles. Always great recommendations.

More Please!

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By freeballer

I'm usually very patient but when it comes to trades and story arcs I have reservations.

After reading the "back stories" of spider island I can tell you I'm not at all interesting in every facet of it, but the core title/arc. If I were interested, is there a trade that only involves the main title?

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xscarletkittie: thank you so much for saying that. I agree completely.

While this may have been the best crossover Bendis ever wrote(which isn't really saying much), it's still fundamentally Bendis: an interesting, though not entirely original concept, that's potential is squandered by Bendis's contrived writing and plotting and only saved by the talents of his artist. As far as I'm concerned, Bendis's handling of Wanda is unforgivable. Taking one of the strongest, most well developed characters in the MU and reducing her to a contrived plot device just shows how lazy of a writer he is. And way to make the X-Men, who were my favorite superheroes as a kid, look like a bunch of douches by having them launch this fervent crusade against the Scarlet Witch which they had no right to do. The Scarlet Witch was never an X-Man, she was an Avenger for almost all of her character history. And can I just say how ridiculous that scene in the first issue was where the X-men, the founding Avengers, and all of Bendis's pet characters from New Avengers all sit around a table deciding Wanda's fate was? Wanda is one of the most senior Avengers in the organization. No one has been an Avenger or lead the team longer than she has besides the founders. Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hank, and Wasp are the onlypeople who have any right to be discussing her fate. And one last thing, and this is a minor complaint, but, I heavily disagree with the idea that House of M is the only reason we have Wiccan as a character. Wiccan as a character was created as a result of Wanda's children losing their souls. House of M had nothing to do with it. Let's please not squander one of my favorite character's reputation by suggesting that Bendis had anything to do with his creation.

And now my rant is done.

Avatar image for ahmedhamedahmed
    ahmedhamedahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

nice story arc :)

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@xscarletkittie: thank you so much for saying that. I agree completely.

While this may have been the best crossover Bendis ever wrote(which isn't really saying much), it's still fundamentally Bendis: an interesting, though not entirely original concept, that's potential is squandered by Bendis's contrived writing and plotting and only saved by the talents of his artist. As far as I'm concerned, Bendis's handling of Wanda is unforgivable. Taking one of the strongest, most well developed characters in the MU and reducing her to a contrived plot device just shows how lazy of a writer he is. And way to make the X-Men, who were my favorite superheroes as a kid, look like a bunch of douches by having them launch this fervent crusade against the Scarlet Witch which they had no right to do. The Scarlet Witch was never an X-Man, she was an Avenger for almost all of her character history. And can I just say how ridiculous that scene in the first issue was where the X-men, the founding Avengers, and all of Bendis's pet characters from New Avengers all sit around a table deciding Wanda's fate was? Wanda is one of the most senior Avengers in the organization. No one has been an Avenger or lead the team longer than she has besides the founders. Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hank, and Wasp are the onlypeople who have any right to be discussing her fate. And one last thing, and this is a minor complaint, but, I heavily disagree with the idea that House of M is the only reason we have Wiccan as a character. Wiccan as a character was created as a result of Wanda's children losing their souls. House of M had nothing to do with it. Let's please not squander one of my favorite character's reputation by suggesting that Bendis had anything to do with his creation.

And now my rant is done.

and this.

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

House of M came out right around the time I had gotten back into comics after about a five year hiatus. As I remember it was pretty good, especially seeing Avengers and X-Men work together (which afterwards it felt like they were in two different universes until basically AvX). It certain helped cement Bendis as a Marvel mainstay. However, in my opinion, you don't get a better alternate universe, huge tie-in, with plenty of repercussions than the original Age of Apocalypse.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#73 vance_astro  Moderator

House of M,Civil War, & Initiative where the last of Marvel's decent events. It's been all down hill since then.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By laflux

House of M is what actually reminds me that Bendis can do crossover events without them being oafish.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

House of M,Civil War, & Initiative where the last of Marvel's decent events. It's been all down hill since then.

I do feel like things have gotten better since AvsX got over, but yeah, I mostly have to agree with this. And, as far as the X-men are involved, that means the last decent crossover was almost eight years ago. Not that I'm generally a big fan of the mega-crossovers anyway, but considering how many they've pumped out since then, it is a bit sad.

That said, as far as big crossovers that effect everything go, I still think House of M is one of the best to come out of Marvel ever, probably. The story was just self contained enough, but the effects were felt for years. The characterization was well thought out and balanced, and the art was just gorgeous.

Honestly, if all of Marvel's big crossovers were this good, it wouldn't bug me that they have so many.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#76 vance_astro  Moderator

I do feel like things have gotten better since AvsX got over, but yeah, I mostly have to agree with this. And, as far as the X-men are involved, that means the last decent crossover was almost eight years ago. Not that I'm generally a big fan of the mega-crossovers anyway, but considering how many they've pumped out since then, it is a bit sad.

That said, as far as big crossovers that effect everything go, I still think House of M is one of the best to come out of Marvel ever, probably. The story was just self contained enough, but the effects were felt for years. The characterization was well thought out and balanced, and the art was just gorgeous.

Honestly, if all of Marvel's big crossovers were this good, it wouldn't bug me that they have so many.

Marvel NOW is has been pretty good so far but I feel like everything Marvel did in like the last 10 years has been to push the X-men out and solidify the Avengers as their most popular superhero group. Everything has been about the Avengers for a while now. Once Cap & Thor 2,Iron Man 3,& Avengers 2 are out as well as the animated series that's supposed to be coming out...The Avengers will probably have fully taken over.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I have the hard cover because it was a gift. But i guess i'm one of the few that didn't like this event. I aknowledge the impact it has had, and the guys to push this through. But i hate how they decimated the mutant community, the story itself really wasn't great, i hate how they treated Wanda. It set the stage for a change, sure. but i don't think it was for the better.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@vance_astro said:

Not really.

jojo111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to limit crossovers more, not just do one every year or so. I'd say about every three years or so is the appropriate time frame for cross overs.

PLTRGY13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't kill me, but I've never read it, but I do intend to. Thanks for a good preview!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.