Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why is there so much hate for Glob

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

One thing Ive begun to notice recently is that there seems to be a lot of hate or apathy towards Glob Herman. Personally, I find him to be a cool looking character and has a nice personality. He is still a kid and has potential to grow into a wiser and more complex character. Sure his powers arent the best when it comes to fighting, but they also arent terrible either. There are a lot of normal looking X-Men and thats kind of why I like Glob as he is among the different looking ones. The X-Men are all about acceptence and not judging those that are different. I like that Glob is there amongst the X-Men treated the same. Sure there are many other mutants that fit this role like Nightcrawler, but considering there are over 200 named mutants there's bound to be some overlap. He works well, imo, as a minor mutant attending Xavier's. Guess long story short Im not quite sure where the hate for him comes from. Is the the fact I like him blinding me from seeing major flaws in him? Are people mad he is getting some recent attention and as such creating a backlash? I just dont see what's so bad about him.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the exception of Grant Morrison's run, just about every run that Glob has been featured in has not been very well received by fans. He was featured in Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men and Elliott Kalan's Spider-Man and the X-Men, which most fans didn't like. Lemire's run seems to of hit a nose dive with Apocalypse War. So, when some people think Glob it might remind them of bad X-Men stories.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Since I'm clearly one of those that drew attention to the hate...I have to ask: What is endearing about Glob Herman? What could attach you too his character? What locks you into his character?

Because the truth is, despite pre-dating him, his personality and role within the X-Men books was basically taken from Rockslide. And aggressively at that.

Remember Glob was around since 2001 as a background character/one note antagonist in a story that forgot about him quicker then Morrison forgot X-Fans liked the X-Men, and after Morrison there was a revolution for younger mutants and X-Characters...one that Glob was not apart of. The Stepford Cuckoos, Hellion, Armor, Surge, X-23, Rockslide, Anole, Blindfold, Ernst, Bling, Mercury, Pixie and Elixir....these characters had built up roles as major, supporting and featured characters. They made up the infrastructure of the X-Men between the post Morrison and Utopia Era's and did it with different personalities wants and desires.

Glob though...or rather the current iteration of Glob, was used by Aaron to fill his school with recognizable faces. Even among a fresh cast that was HEAVILY under developed, Glob lacked any defining trait that made him stand out or that was worth building on. His entire attitude was basically "dumb big guy" which Rockslide had been using and developing from for years. And the most in character moment for Glob..the most noteworthy thing Glob did in a decade and a half of stories....was get left by Logan when he ran off with the Hellfire Club.

Glob is a extremely weak character mostly due to his recycled traits, he has forced his way into a niche and friend group with Anole and Hellion for unknown reasons..and among all of the poorly written/gimmick heavy student characters like Sharkgirl, Naturegirl, Eyeboy Genesis and Oya....he's the one who has absolutely nothing interesting or relevant to him other then "I'm Glob". And yet he's become one of the most prominent younger X-characters today, and is being reused for the 3rd run in a row...this time in a major role.

So the reason he isnt liked, is because when people see him in a book or on a team roster, they ask "Why Glob?" And there isn't a good answer. And it isn't because he did something wrong, but because nobody cares, and he's irrelevant to most fans. Because even among disliked characters....people would be more interested in the infamy that is Goldballs...then a Glob Herman story because there is nothing interesting about Glob

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Actually no you were just the one who made me decide to make the thread. Ive seen a lot of people of here just seem to hate him for no real reason other than he's Glob. You have a lot of good points and thats what I was hoping to gain from this thread. When I ask people that dont seem to like him, nobody answers me other just cuz he's Glob. Thank you for giving me good points and reasons for why you dont like him.

I personally think he's a visually cool character with a likable personality. He never seemed like a character to attract a lot of hate as he is just such a minor character. I think he fits the role of a student at Xavier's very well. Obviously he shouldnt be a main character, but as a very minor character he seems perfect to stand out from the crowd.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: It really comes down to what you said....He works as a background character, and shouldn't be a main character. (Mostly because there are better ones)

I mean to be honest idk if he even has a hatedom. To me it would just be like if you took the mildly humorous background character from any run and made him the main character of a run. Its like Ralph from the Simpsons nobody hates Ralph...but make Ralph a main character and subtract the actual Simpsons from the show and people will start to notice how much they'd rather see something else.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Ok that makes sense and thank you for explaining it. Like I said before a lot of people seem to hate him in threads and pms Ive seen yet no one goes beyond just saying they just dont like him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.