Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

why do mutants get hated but yet the F4,& avengers get loved

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

like the title said why do mutants get so much hate but yet heroes like spiderman and the avengers get so much love?

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because they are not mutants.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@marvelman92: Mutants are born from humans and represent an evolutionary threat. Non-mutants show regular humans that they can become special without upsetting humanities place on the food chain

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Mutants are born from humans and represent an evolutionary threat. Non-mutants show regular humans that they can become special without upsetting humanities place on the food chain

Good answer. It's just very hilarious to me because most of the superhumans are actually mutants themselves, except they weren't born that way. We even see that many of them pass on these genes to their children. So they represent as much of an evolutionary threat, if not moreso, than mutants, who often don't have powers that would give them an appreciable advantage.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's even funnier when Franklin Richards, a mutant, is one of the most powerful and potentially dangerous beings in the universe even as a baby. He could have turned everyone on the planet into popsicles accidently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

It's just very hilarious to me because most of the superhumans are actually mutants themselves, except they weren't born that way.

Mutants are born mutants. What you're thinking of is mutates.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamTRMM

Don't hurt my intelligence and pretend like there's a reason, there's NO. I mean, for some it's exactly why a mutant metaphor works, right? Blind and stupid racism? Then why lots of racists vindicate and reason their hate? I mean hated and feared must be standing for something? They are hated cause racism and feared cause they're dangerous, and.... mutates are just as dangerous, but they are being judged just like the rest of humanity? Maybe humanity is the core of the answer right here, yet mutates breed mutates or mutants, how dafaq are they human?

Like I said, my intelligence is at stake right here.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One the avengers and F4 dont carry a stigma that they are dangerous to be around. Many mutants are dangerous either by an accident or they hate humans or just looking out for themselves. Also their outward appearance can frighten others some look like aliens and others look like demons.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@adamtrmm:

Even if it's just flat out racism, then that is still a reason. Just because the reason may not seem reasonable to you, does not mean there is not one. Mutants represent something that humans cannot understand and at their core are an evolutionary step up, so they are hated and feared not only because they can be dangerous or strange looking, but also because they have the potential to replace humanity if their numbers continue to increase.

One theory of why Neanderthals are extinct is that humans killed them off being superior to them in many regards. Now there are other theories that have caused that once popular theory to be questioned, but the point is, it was once a popular opinion. Lets say on Marvel Earth, that theory also existed, and was just as popular. It may make people think that it's only natural for the more powerful race to eventually kill off their predecessors as a natural part of evolution. So humans fear and hatred of mutants can be seen as a natural response. We are still animals and it is our nature to be wary of things that don't look and act like us because of competition. Our emotions and intellects tell us that racism is wrong, but somewhere deep in us, we have an instinct that wants no competition from any other animal. Leopards and Lions are both cats, but they have no desire to explore that commonality and will compete for land and food to the point of fighting to the death. So for the most part the leopards stay away from the bigger and more organized Lions. They are basically naturally racist. Most things on Earth hate and or fear things that are different from them, so it's not just a human thing. Humans just have the ability to "understand" this concept and deem it unreasonable as they see fit.

Humans also breed mutants, just like mutates. The concern with mutants is that they are a different species altogether, making them a viable threat as far as evolution goes. The population of mutates can potentially be controlled because they are created by outside influences that are for the most part manmade. Mutants on the other hand cannot be controlled the same way, because they were created due to the influence of higher forces than man, namely the Celestials and apparently the Phoenix Force.

Not liking a reason does not invalidate it, your intelligence will survive.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because the X-Men books are too numerous and convoluted to be enjoyed. *looks at amount of Avengers books* Although...

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamTRMM

@lordofallhumans said:

Even if it's just flat out racism, then that is still a reason. Just because the reason may not seem reasonable to you, does not mean there is not one. Mutants represent something that humans cannot understand and at their core are an evolutionary step up, so they are hated and feared not only because they can be dangerous or strange looking, but also because they have the potential to replace humanity if their numbers continue to increase.

What reason? To hate the different? Mutates are different as well, Hulk doesn't even consider himself a human, and you if you ask me, he have that right. He is something new, just like mutants. So humans cannot understand their own evolution, yet they can understand cosmic/gamma rays creating something that have a lot more in common with those they appear to not understand. Am I correct? This is your logic?

I mean you're basically telling me that humans understand Dr. Strange and Thor, but they're in no way can accept understanding of a mutant?

One theory of why Neanderthals are extinct is that humans killed them off being superior to them in many regards. Now there are other theories that have caused that once popular theory to be questioned, but the point is, it was once a popular opinion. Lets say on Marvel Earth, that theory also existed, and was just as popular. It may make people think that it's only natural for the more powerful race to eventually kill off their predecessors as a natural part of evolution. So humans fear and hatred of mutants can be seen as a natural response. We are still animals and it is our nature to be wary of things that don't look and act like us because of competition. Our emotions and intellects tell us that racism is wrong, but somewhere deep in us, we have an instinct that wants no competition from any other animal. Leopards and Lions are both cats, but they have no desire to explore that commonality and will compete for land and food to the point of fighting to the death. So for the most part the leopards stay away from the bigger and more organized Lions. They are basically naturally racist. Most things on Earth hate and or fear things that are different from them, so it's not just a human thing. Humans just have the ability to "understand" this concept and deem it unreasonable as they see fit.

Cool, nothing from the above explains how an average Joe is so fluent in evolutionary theories and how he differs a mutant from mutate, god, angel, etc.

Again, they hate the different? Gods, mutants, mutates and mages have much more in common among themselves than with regular humanity, don't you think?

Humans also breed mutants, just like mutates. The concern with mutants is that they are a different species altogether, making them a viable threat as far as evolution goes. The population of mutates can potentially be controlled because they are created by outside influences that are for the most part manmade. Mutants on the other hand cannot be controlled the same way, because they were created due to the influence of higher forces than man, namely the Celestials and apparently the Phoenix Force.

They are different species just as much as mutates can be considered ones. Not every human can survive a gamma irradiation which creates one's propensity for adapting to it, a whole new species, because in theory, he is unique (not anymore, but you know what I mean).

Everything about Celestials and PF doesn't matter, since you know that as a reader, 616-Joes on the other hand, have never showed to posses that awareness.

So, my intelligence is still in pain. Because if that's how you reason all those questionable (to say the least) concepts, that's OK. Those are still far from absolute truths.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

It's just very hilarious to me because most of the superhumans are actually mutants themselves, except they weren't born that way.

Mutates is a Marvel term that doesn't really clear anything up. Technically, all of the superhumans are mutants because they were mutated by various means. To make it even more confusing, Beast is both a mutate and a mutant, as are other characters, further muddying the definition. The whole "My power is to manipulate my skin." leading to civilians being terrified vs. the "I gained my powers via exposure to cosmic radiation, and now have the ability to fly, superstrength, fire energy blasts, and emit nuclear energy!" leading to civilians loving them.

The new phenotypes that appear in fictional mutations generally go far beyond what is typically seen in biological mutants, and often result in the mutated life form exhibiting superhuman abilities or qualities. (from Wikipedia ((I know, I know, but it proves the point that it is often the superhuman "mutates" tend to be much more dangerous and powerful than the majority of characters who were mutants at birth))).

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol it really is just like picking and choosing your racism/prejudice.

I mean sure there are cases in America of people hating Jews and the Irish despite being indistinguishable from others except for minor features. Still its a plothole what can you do

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@phoenixofthetides said:

@squares said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

Mutates is a Marvel term that doesn't really clear anything up. Technically, all of the superhumans are mutants because they were mutated by various means. To make it even more confusing, Beast is both a mutate and a mutant, as are other characters, further muddying the definition. The whole "My power is to manipulate my skin." leading to civilians being terrified vs. the "I gained my powers via exposure to cosmic radiation, and now have the ability to fly, superstrength, fire energy blasts, and emit nuclear energy!" leading to civilians loving them.

The new phenotypes that appear in fictional mutations generally go far beyond what is typically seen in biological mutants, and often result in the mutated life form exhibiting superhuman abilities or qualities. (from Wikipedia ((I know, I know, but it proves the point that it is often the superhuman "mutates" tend to be much more dangerous and powerful than the majority of characters who were mutants at birth))).

Oh, but hey, this is from Wikipedia too, check it out:

The term Mutate refers to most non-mutant superbeings in the Marvel Comicsuniverse.

I guess that could be unclear, so let's check what the Marvel universe's definition of mutant is. This is also from Wikipedia:

In comic books published by Marvel Comics, a mutant is an organism (usually otherwise human) who possesses a genetic trait called an X-gene that allows the mutant to naturally develop superhuman powers and abilities.

Unlike Marvel's mutates which are characters who develop their powers only after exposure to outside stimuli or energies (such as Hulk, Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, and Absorbing Man), mutants are born with the genetic potential to possess their powers, although the powers typically manifest at puberty.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.