Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why are they still on Utopia

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Dark Reign is over
    San Fran has apparently accepted them again. 

and how many facilities have they built on that damn island

wouldn't their situation improve if they integrated again, Maybe if Cyclops went back to Westchester some good memories would come back and he'd lighten up. He's been through a lot lately, but when hasn't he been able to recover.

How do you feel about them on their own island, it's made them into a bunch of hypocrites if you ask me. Screw Schism, they need a rebirth, and what the hell is with Cyclops and Magneto being around each other they've hated one another for years.

and why don't they just rename Uncanny X-force-----Over Used characters-The Series

I apologize if this post was random

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By Timandm

THANK YOU!!!!     I was wondering if I was the ONLY one not understanding why they are still on Utopia....

First:  If you have a population of people, and there are a number of people out to annihilate that population, would you protect those people by gathering them all in one location, that is separate from other land masses, that has open access from virtually all directions???

This actually makes it MUCH easier for the enemy to wipe out everyone of his targets...  Imagine one nuclear bomb (of course, in the marvel universe there are worse things) strikes Utopia....  How many mutants survive?  A FEW?  MAYBE???

If you were an assassin, and you were given a list of 100 people to kill, would you want them all in one location, or scattered around the world?  Which would make them easier targets?  I'd want them all in one location... It makes my job SO MUCH easier...

On a slightly different note, I'd like to just point out that Utopia IS NOT an island, even though it's commonly referred to as an Island.  It's a ROCK!  A great big ROCK on a STICK...  An Island would be hard to sink or destroy....  However, a large bomb placed on the pillar that holds up Utopia, will cause it to sink LIKE A  ROCK....  (especially since it IS a rock and rocks make TERRIBLE flotation devices.)

But your point about them INTEGRATING is even more significant....  All throughout history, we see evidence that isolating a population of people DOES NOT make them stronger... If anything, it makes them weaker....  You don't overcome racism by separating races....

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Beats me. I've hated the concept of Utopia ever since they raised the rock. They may as well have painted a series of giant concentric circles with crosshairs through the middle, as they've been an invitation to wipe out the mutant race in one swipe ever since.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Thunderscream

If they're gonna isolate themselves, they may as well just populate Asteroid M and orbit the Earth interfering when necessary a la JLA's satellite base

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm thinking one of the factions in Schism will be going back to Westchester.....hopefully. I don't hate the idea of Utopia but I do hate the idea that every mutant lives there.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @PrinceIMC said:
    I'm thinking one of the factions in Schism will be going back to Westchester.....hopefully. I don't hate the idea of Utopia but I do hate the idea that every mutant lives there.
    I was thinking maybe cyke will operate out of westchester with possibly a new team of mutants
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

The big windows make Cyclops look more thoughtful when he wants to look pensive. 

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @PrinceIMC said:
    Even though we only see the chosen few.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Timandm
    @TheCrowbar said:
    The big windows make Cyclops look more thoughtful when he wants to look pensive. 
    LOLOL!!!!  TOO TRUE!  
    batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10  Edited By batmanboy11
    @cattlebattle said:
    @PrinceIMC said:
    I was thinking maybe cyke will operate out of westchester with possibly a new team of mutants

Yeah, that'd make sense.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By papad1992

Utopia is just an excuse that writers are using because they are too lazy to conjour up anything interesting for the last of the mutants!! Back in the day mutants were scattered everywhere throughout the world! I know there's only a handfull left but still... isolating them is not the way Marvel!! Writers should let some X-fan readers come up with a story!!

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By lorex

I think they are still on Utopia because it is a relatively secure and isolated place which to use a a base of operations. Also the X-Men leadership has experience and knows that the warm and fuzzy feeling the government has for the X-Men right now are one 
    incident away from  disappearing and the anti-mutant hysteria from starting back up again, and then having the mutants being spread out all over he place would be a liability. And for those of you think being located on an island is more risky that being in 
    located in update New York, well with super heroes with power like flight, speed, teleportation and having private jets does it really matter. X-Men have been attacked no matter where they have been located over the years.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I agree. You'd think the fact that Magneto jumped on board would raise a few red flags about where this was headed: just look at how things worked out for him with Asteroid M, and Avalon, and Genosha...

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timandm
    @Shadow_Thief said:

I agree. You'd think the fact that Magneto jumped on board would raise a few red flags about where this was headed: just look at how things worked out for him with Asteroid M, and Avalon, and Genosha...

LOL!!!!  Too True!

I can't help but imagine a conversation between ANYONE and Scott about this very thing...

Anole:  Mr. Summers, could I talk to you about something?
    Cyclops: Of course, Anole.  You're one of the few younger mutants who are stable, intelligent, and actually read the files I prepare on villains.
    Anole: Actually, that's sort of what I wanted to talk to you about.  One of the files I read.  On a villai...FORMER villain.
    Cyclops: Oh?  Which former villain.
    Anole: Magneto.
    Cyclops:  Ah, you're probably wondering how we got lucky enough to have him on our side now, aren't you?
    Anole: Well, SOMETHING like that.  I couldn't help but notice his history with the places he's ruled...
    Cyclops: Uh-huh?
    Anole:  You know, like, what happened to those places...Like Asteroid M, for example.
    Cyclops:  (Big laugh) Oh, I see.  How did we get so lucky to have it as our very own ISLAND.
    Anole: um..It's a ROCK... But I was thinking of what happened BEFORE we took up residence here.
    Cyclops: (looking puzzled.)  You mean, how we raised it out of the ocean?
    Anole: Well, more specifically, how it got IN the ocean...
    Cyclops: (Still confused)  What's your point?
    Anole:  Well, Magneto used to rule Asteroid M...While it was in space...and look what happened to it?
    Cyclops:  We X-Men sort of destroyed it... Wow, you really DO read those files...
    Anole: Yes, asteroid M was destroyed...
    Cyclops:  Of course, Magneto repaired it after that.
    Anole: Yes, but it was destroyed AGAIN.  Magneto let it get destroyed TWICE>
    Cyclops:  You can't blame magneto for that!  WARLOCK flew into it as he was trying to escape from his father... These things happen when you're a mutant.
    Anole:  Okay...Well...Twice I could maybe understand... But he built a THIRD Asteroid M and ...
    Cyclops:  Now, you can't blame magneto for what happened to THAT asteroid M, can you?  I mean, Cortez fired nuclear missiles at it... What was Magneto supposed to do?  Put up some king of SHIELD and stop them?  COME ON!?!?   And actually, that worked out pretty well for us because, well, here we are living on it.
    Anole: Yes...but...I mean... He built a FOURTH asteroid M and it ends up floating  the freaking sun!  I mean..."
    Cyclops: HEY!  Be careful, young man.  My wife DIED on that asteroid just before it hit the sun.  That's a very painful memory for me.  That was the next to last time she died!
    Anole: Second to last.
    Cyclops:  How's that?
    Anole: That was the second to last time she died before she died the last time.  The LAST time she died she was brought back by Quentin Quire or some such thing... And the time before that she was killed by Xorn...and just before THAT Wolverine killed her on Asteroid M just before they entered the sun... To spare her from burning up and all that... 
    Cyclops: What?  WHAT?  You mean THAT'S how she died?  And Logan killed her?!
    Anole: Yes, but it saved her life so....
    Cyclops: Oh... Okay.. So what we're we talking about?
    Anole: The fifth asteroid M getting destroyed.
    Cyclops: Yes, but that was XORN'S fault...So....
    Anole: Yes, but...But... Okay, okay...  What about Avalon?!
    Cyclops:  The legendary home of King Arthur?  
    Anole: Um... No Sir... Magneto's space station that the Acolytes lived on...
    Cyclops: Oh, I see... What about it?
    Anole: It ALSO was destroyed... Like asteroid M was... FIVE times...
    Cyclops:  Yes, but look how well THAT worked out!  I mean, CABLE built PROVIDENCE from pieces of Avalon!  and look out how well that worked for him!!!
    Anole: (Stunned silence for a moment)  Um... Providence was destroyed and sank into the ocean....
    Cyclops: Well you can't blame Magneto for that, can you?
    Anole: Okay, fine.  What about GENOSHA?  I mean, it was completely freaking TRASHED.  Nuked and attacked by sentinels and what not.  Everywhere Magneto takes up residence gets destroyed.  Asteroid M ALWAYS gets destroyed!
    Cyclops: Well, it's not an ASTEROID anymore, now is it?  (looking rather clever and smug) "It's an ISLAND now."
    Anole: PROVIDENCE WAS AN ISLAND?
    Cyclops: What's your point?
    Anole: (sighs in frustration)  "EVERY TIME Mutants gather to live in ONE location, whether it's an asteroid, or a spacestation, or an island, it gets DESTROYED.  ESPECIALLY if Magneto has anything to do with it!!!
    Cyclops: (Quietly ponders Anole's words a moment)  Where are you going with this?
    Anole: (Drops his head in defeat)  Would you mind if a few of us moved back to Westchester?
    Cyclops: OH!  A vacation!  Why didn't you just say so!  I bet Logan would LOVE to take a group of you back for a visit!!!
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @xerox-kitty: @PrinceIMC: Yeah I don't hate the idea of Utopia either.  In a world where there mutants number less then 200 it made sense for them to band together and try to help each other out.  But I totally agree with Xerox-Kitty, they may as well have painted a big target on the island and made each mutant wear little targets for bonus points.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.