Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why Are People in 616 So Shallow?!

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I guess it also applies to most of the Marvel multiverse too.

It really bugs me when a mutant goes out with a normal human and when the human finds out, they're all "EWW! DO NOT WANT!!!" Even if they announce their love to the mutant beforehand. Though, it doesn't tend to happen to mutants who can't "turn off their mutation" as much (Nightcrawler, Anole ect...). Strange, as Classic X-Men 4 had Nightcrawler go out in public without his disguise on, and everyone was OK with it, but in the following issue, Rasputin got his heart broken.

Another thing I don't get, is why are people OK with Thor, despite the fact that Loki tries to destroy Earth? It seems to only be Mutants who get the bad rep, because they're not gods or royalty/they didn't make their own powers/they didn't get radiation on or in them. Then again, inhumans don't all follow those rules, so I guess mutants are the only exception.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You ask a question that lacks a response that makes sense. That's just how it is I guess. I guess you could also feel weird about someone losing control of their powers if they were your neighbor. The Avengers, Inhumans and most other super teams tend to keep to themselves in one location but mutants can be anywhere.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Humans are scared mutants will one day replace them like the caveman

...... Awe hell. I give up. It's just stupid like you said

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol there is no point in even examining it.

Why do poor white people in america hate poor black people in america? Why the reverse? Why don't they hate the rich people? Why don't they hate the other poor people who are a little better then them?

Idk...but here's the thing, I once knew a girl who broke up with her boyfriend over a debate about the military in philosophy of religion? I know a guy who broke up with his long term girlfriend because she's a slightly aggressive atheist and hes extremely religous.

The world doesn't make sense...but we accept it...so let's just accept that a world where gods and superheros exist as everyday normalcy might not make sense either.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By w0nd

@takeshi57:

@takeshi57: it's to show you how stupid racism is. I shit you not there is a girl who went on a date with one of my friends who she thought was italian, he was not, he was another race, and she became instantly disgusted, any previous thought she had about him went out the window.

same thing goes for religions,

politics

and so on

Why did slave owners rape their slaves who were pretty much dogs to them?

Why to people in prison claim they hate gays, but indulge in gay sex, because that’s all that’s available to them.

it's just point out how crappy people are. I am glad you think it is stupid, the only thing I find sad is that some people only notice it in comics and not in the world around us haha

The avengers never really did anything about it mind you. Oh what's that an army of sentinels being mass produced?..... okay

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@takeshi57: Yes, Classic X-Men #5 is a great issue, but I always scratch my head at the reaction of Piotr's girlfriend(forget her name) to his powers. I don't know about you guys, but if my tall, impossibly handsome boyfriend was also a superhero who could turn into literal metal, I'd be pretty damn stoked.

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Yeah. :/ This is why it bugs me so much. I mean, she's pretty damn shallow and she even said she was glad she hurt her dad's feelings! I think maybe she was always pretty cold.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@takeshi57: Yup, and fortunately Piotr said "you're wrong" after she called him a monster, so even he saw through her bullshit.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've seen plenty of humans datevmutants.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the comics refected our world currently I would expect there would be some humans actively seeking to date mutants.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
    deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the X-men belong in the shared universe

It doesn't make sense for them to be hated yet the fantastic four, spiderman or basically most other 'happy accidents' are accepted

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1: You sir have earned my undying love and support. Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
    deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I think most of the double standard between the X-Men and the rest of the MU just comes to the fact that the X-Men and Avengers/Fantastic Four/Defenders/Knights have been treated by Marvel as 2 separate worlds without real crossover because nobody really questioned the discrepancy until around the rise of the internet (or at least these opinions weren't widely shared). Marvel has taken steps to rectify this with Uncanny Avengers but since Marvel doesn't own the rights to the X-Men movies, they haven't really been focusing on the X-Men and along with the FF have down played them.

I personally would prefer is ALL superhumans faced the prejudice and fear mutants face which is the main reason why I think Spider-Man was actually a good medium between the two sides (with his own fluctuating popularity).

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people can be racist, irrational, and full of hypocritical double standards. Like today. I agree that it's weird that other weirder heroes from other planets or just more dangerous are trusted more than Earth based Xmen. But it's just how it is. I think it stems from the fact that the Xmen aren't necessarily "mainstream" heroes like the avengers or f4. They save the world but not as much recognition.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Immolation

It is somewhat realistic. Sometimes they just seem to go too extreme with it and make it appear unrealistic.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Look at the writers and the editors. It goes all the way to the top. <--all whispered

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most of the double standard between the X-Men and the rest of the MU just comes to the fact that the X-Men and Avengers/Fantastic Four/Defenders/Knights have been treated by Marvel as 2 separate worlds without real crossover because nobody really questioned the discrepancy until around the rise of the internet (or at least these opinions weren't widely shared). Marvel has taken steps to rectify this with Uncanny Avengers but since Marvel doesn't own the rights to the X-Men movies, they haven't really been focusing on the X-Men and along with the FF have down played them.

I personally would prefer is ALL superhumans faced the prejudice and fear mutants face which is the main reason why I think Spider-Man was actually a good medium between the two sides (with his own fluctuating popularity).

If the X-Men weren't yet ANOTHER team based in NY and were based somewhere, where super heroes aren't normally seen, then I guess the prejudice would make more sense. I just find it annoying that the X-Men are hated because their powers are natural, despite the fact that Thor (original) is loved.

I've been watching My Hero Academia and it's pretty much House of M, but people without powers (or a quirk as they call it) aren't normally seen or mentioned, bar the main character. Though, I find it funny that Midoriya is so concerned about not having natural born powers and instead being handed them.
    I think Marvel should do a similar thing again (but not to the extent of House of M), like have most heroes in the world have natural powers, while guys like Iron Man are disliked for using artificial powers.

Homifred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gods don't have it easy either. One such citizen of that fine nation decided to express his displeasure with the asgardians moving in (when Odin destroyed the rainbow bridge) by punching Kid Loki's face in.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle

Yeah dude!! Humans hate mutants and totally trust humans that developed super powers. I mean, it's not like the government invented a registration act for people with powers because they didn't trust them......they should totally write a story about that and then adapt it into a movie!!

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really bugs me when a mutant goes out with a normal human and when the human finds out, they're all "EWW! DO NOT WANT!!!" Even if they announce their love to the mutant beforehand. Though, it doesn't tend to happen to mutants who can't "turn off their mutation" as much (Nightcrawler, Anole ect...). Strange, as Classic X-Men 4 had Nightcrawler go out in public without his disguise on, and everyone was OK with it, but in the following issue, Rasputin got his heart broken.

Another thing I don't get, is why are people OK with Thor, despite the fact that Loki tries to destroy Earth? It seems to only be Mutants who get the bad rep, because they're not gods or royalty/they didn't make their own powers/they didn't get radiation on or in them. Then again, inhumans don't all follow those rules, so I guess mutants are the only exception.

the mutants are a metaphor for racism. that is the reason story wise. however, it's just dumb for that universe, though. they have literal gods running around, and people hate mutants. it's just dumb to me. the inhumans are facing the same thing now. arguably any non-alien super hero can be classified as a mutant.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just go with it.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

because the writers are perhaps

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takeshi57 said:

the mutants are a metaphor for racism. that is the reason story wise. however, it's just dumb for that universe, though. they have literal gods running around, and people hate mutants. it's just dumb to me. the inhumans are facing the same thing now. arguably any non-alien super hero can be classified as a mutant.

OK, but racism has toned down from how it was in the 60s. Also, nowadays most people aren't always open about being racist. Plus what make less sense, is that NY has had time to know the X-Men and mutants in general, so they're more likely to hate on another group they're less familiar with, AKA in inhumans. Racism over time shifts from group to group. For example, people back in the 40s hated Germans and in the 60s/70s they hated the Vietnamese, so why can't the hate move to another group in the comics like it does in real life? I know it's a shifting timeline, but at least 10 years has passed since the X-Men were formed and that's long enough for the citizens of NY to get over their hatred for mutant kind.

The double standard doesn't only affect mutants, but everyone who's considered "different". If the inhumans are looked at as heroes, while mutants are STILL condemned in years time, then I won't be able to read these comics anymore, because it just seems too mean spirited and real people wouldn't act like that. I mean, why even bother saving people who clearly want nothing to do with you?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By w0nd

@takeshi57 said:

OK, but racism has toned down from how it was in the 60s. Also, nowadays most people aren't always open about being racist. Plus what make less sense, is that NY has had time to know the X-Men and mutants in general, so they're more likely to hate on another group they're less familiar with, AKA in inhumans. Racism over time shifts from group to group. For example, people back in the 40s hated Germans and in the 60s/70s they hated the Vietnamese, so why can't the hate move to another group in the comics like it does in real life? I know it's a shifting timeline, but at least 10 years has passed since the X-Men were formed and that's long enough for the citizens of NY to get over their hatred for mutant kind.

The double standard doesn't only affect mutants, but everyone who's considered "different". If the inhumans are looked at as heroes, while mutants are STILL condemned in years time, then I won't be able to read these comics anymore, because it just seems too mean spirited and real people wouldn't act like that. I mean, why even bother saving people who clearly want nothing to do with you?

Oh yeah? Tell that to trump. He has thousdands of supporters now and all he is saying is a bunch of racist things.

Racism has toned down,but I still see black kids getting shot, and muslim people being beat up because something another crazy group did. If anything it's more toned down in the comics too. There were several big time mutant schools at one point before secret wars and no one really seemed to bother them much.

I am also pretty sure the in humans get hated on a lot too, but it's kind of hard to tell the difference between the 2 from first glance.

I am sure if it was as racist as it was in the past, mutant schools wouldn't be popping up left and right they would have just been shut down immediately.

I am not sure that complaint here.... is it that racism exists?

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People in this thread need to understand predjudice and racism and that the X-Men aren't limited to one.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

People in this thread need to understand predjudice and racism and that the X-Men aren't limited to one.

I agree. People also need to realize that civilians in the Marvel Universe have actually had prejudice against many characters that have super powers....not just mutants. Characters like Thing, Hulk, Spider-Man, have all been met with hostility from the general public and even special government groups were founded to watch their activities. I mean, do people not remember Civil War was a thing??

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I think its the fact that people can't understand perspective writing.

I mean Deadpool is in a world where everyone is stupider then him. And it is true if your reading his boom, because they focus on the moments where he outsmarts the heroes. It doesn't mean he is, just that that's what they focus on.

The avengers write from a heroic perspective... And even then its not like they're being given medals and crap every other day. They just focus on a different aspect of the story.

Spiderman has gone fron getting medals in one story and saving the day to being seen as a villain do to one newspaper article. It doesn't mean the whole world feels one way or another just that the story isn't and is focusing on that aspect depending on the moment.

When the Avengers focus on the effect of the superheroes in the world we get Civil War, when they don't we get 1 of a dozen other aspects of their government endorsed super team. But the X-Men have worked with SWORD and Shield and been celebrated for saving the city. It doesn't negate those things that they decide to go back to exploring one of their more popular themes. It just means their switching perspectives and diversifying the world and stories by showing layers.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Marvels, it puts the mindset of Marvel citizens into perspective regarding heroes and beings with powers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

You're looking for rationality in racism, which is very irrational and hypocritical.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they cross over all the time. spiderman even taught at the mutant school. wolvie was an avenger. storm married black panther. it's only a double standard because marvel wants to make the mutants an allegory for racism which makes no sense in a world where there is a guy who can turn himself into a big ball of fire.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allnewoverseer said:

they cross over all the time. spiderman even taught at the mutant school. wolvie was an avenger. storm married black panther. it's only a double standard because marvel wants to make the mutants an allegory for racism which makes no sense in a world where there is a guy who can turn himself into a big ball of fire.

even johnny faced it
    even johnny faced it

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlackWind

Humans are the PS4. Mutants are the PS4000.

Eventually they'll be chucked in a box, collect dust, stop working, and be forgotten.

The end.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ultra_beleco

Mutants works as a metaphor for real life prejudice.

Prejudice in our world also doesn't make sense.

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
    @christianrapper said:
    @allnewoverseer said:

even johnny faced it
    even johnny faced it

Took long enough for the issue to be addressed though. Also all the things that happened to non mutant heroes/villains is not on the same scale as to what happen to mutants alone.

Why is it that Sentinels never hound the Avengers or Spider-Man like mutants were back in the day?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: the only shallow person in x-men is (adult) cyclops........he choose good girl jean grey over bad girl emma frost, lol :P

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By christianrapper

@koujimoreno said:
    :
    said:
    @said:

even johnny faced it
    even johnny faced it

Took long enough for the issue to be addressed though. Also all the things that happened to non mutant heroes/villains is not on the same scale as to what happen to mutants alone.

Why is it that Sentinels never hound the Avengers or Spider-Man like mutants were back in the day?

the sentinels are made for the x men. that's like saying 'why don't the xmen get hounded by spider slayers'. every hero basically faces the same villains over and over again. you don't see tony stark complaining because the mandarin doesn't go around attacking the uncanny xmen.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cattlebattle

the mutants are made for the x men. that's like saying 'why don't the xmen get hounded by spider slayers'. every hero basically faces the same villains over and over again. you don't see tony stark complaining because the mandarin doesn't go around attacking the uncann xmen.

While the Sentinels maybe designed to hunt mutants they do usually wind up hunting super humans as well. The opening page of the Days of Future Past story features the tombstones of the likes of Fantastic Four, and every dystopian future story usually featured the Sentinels killing super humans as well as mutants.

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By harlequinreala

@cattlebattle said:
    @christianrapper said:

the mutants are made for the x men. that's like saying 'why don't the xmen get hounded by spider slayers'. every hero basically faces the same villains over and over again. you don't see tony stark complaining because the mandarin doesn't go around attacking the uncann xmen.

While the Sentinels maybe designed to hunt mutants they do usually wind up hunting super humans as well. The opening page of the Days of Future Past story features the tombstones of the likes of Fantastic Four, and every dystopian future story usually featured the Sentinels killing super humans as well as mutants.

Lemme get to the root of my question. Why did humans feel the need to build sentinels to specifically hunt mutants? They felt like they were going to be replaced by mutants and that they were overall dangerous right? Why didn't they go after other super powered beings that were non mutants such the FF, Avengers, Doom, Abomination, Red Skull etc., with such passion as they did for mutants? Also when you got people like Stark and Richards around, if they weren't going to feel threatened by them, why wasn't their existence enough to say, "Oh looks like our race isn't going to be replaced when we have these guys running around."

Aren't the futures considered alternate places? I'm mostly referring to the main timeline when talking about this mutant hate. It just really makes no sense to me, especially when a ton of these guys all live in NY.

I'm not saying fights didn't happen to non mutants, but the aggression to mutants dwarfs that of the other powered beings, it just makes no sense. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but they stated X-Men should've been its own contained universe, I would have to agree.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

Lemme get to the root of my question. Why did humans feel the need to build sentinels to specifically hunt mutants? They felt like they were going to be replaced by mutants and that they were overall dangerous right? Why didn't they go after other super powered beings that were non mutants such the FF, Avengers, Doom, Abomination, Red Skull etc., with such passion as they did for mutants? Also when you got people like Stark and Richards around, if they weren't going to feel threatened by them, why wasn't their existence enough to say, "Oh looks like our race isn't going to be replaced when we have these guys running around."

Aren't the futures considered alternate places? I'm mostly referring to the main timeline when talking about this mutant hate. It just really makes no sense to me, especially when a ton of these guys all live in NY.

I'm not saying fights didn't happen to non mutants, but the aggression to mutants dwarfs that of the other powered beings, it just makes no sense. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but they stated X-Men should've been its own contained universe, I would have to agree.

the mutants are a metaphor for racism so they will suffer an inordinate amount of the super powered hate. the inhumans are facing the same thing.

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By harlequinreala

I know they're a metaphor and I know about the inhumans, but the inhumans are just happening fairly recently. Why did it take so long for the 'hate' to be shared by other powered beings? I think the height of the shared hate was Civil War.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koujimoreno: because when they were created t hey probably didn't intend for the universe to be THAT shared. you are right though, there's no other answer other than "comic book logic" you wont find any other answer no matter how many times you poke.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would agree with you. People would be be in awes to see mutants, and that's humans with superhuman abilities. Unless the mutants look ugly, then yeah, kinda ewww.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know they're a metaphor and I know about the inhumans, but the inhumans are just happening fairly recently. Why did it take so long for the 'hate' to be shared by other powered beings? I think the height of the shared hate was Civil War.

you know the answer...because it's a comic book. they are illogical and they need a story. there are plot holes in every single comic book. why does jjj still hate spidey despite spiderman saving his life countless times? it's a comic book and that's all there is to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.