Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What was the point of adding her?

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Seriously what was the reason to adding Firestar to the X-men family? I'm only familiar with her in "Spider-Man and his amazing friends, is she even a mutant? I know she was added to be a teacher but that's it? Did she even have a significant story with them for the team to add her? And it looks like from the new X-Men titles and other Marvel titles that she gonna be another forgotten hero.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Firestar belongs with the New Warriors in my opinion. I'm not completely against her as an Xmen member but its just not really her place

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

@handofprometheus: Yes. Firestar was always acknowledged as a mutant, even back when she was created for the Spider-Man series she had ties to the X-Men in the episodes they appear in.

She was given a mini series in the mid 80s and was a student of the Massachuessetts Academy, the school that was run by Emma Frost in direct opposition to Xaviers School and Emma Frost was featured as her prime antagonist and tormentor in the series. She also appears in what I consider one of the best issues of the X-Men in the 80s in The Uncanny X-Men #193 - Warhunt 2. Other than that, no she hasn't had very much affiliation with the X-Men or any significant interactions.

I am fine with her being on the team. The more redheads, the better, right??

#Gingermasterrace. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really like Firestar.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she'd fit well with the x-men. bobby's counterpart. she doesnt go well with rachel or jean in a roster though

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh...look this is the problem when you people keep asking for the X-Men to be more included in the Marvel Universe. We end up sending Rogue to join the Avengers while they ship Firestar to us....not out of spite, but because she's really the only one that makes sense.

Honestly she works well with the whole "70/80's sci-fi" vibe that Amazing X-Men was going for (every issue could've been a Spiderman and the Amazing friends ep) but I honestly just see it as another example of Jason Aaron just doing things without any real basis.

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of any story?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@handofprometheus said:

Seriously what was the reason to adding Firestar to the X-men family? I'm only familiar with her in "Spider-Man and his amazing friends, is she even a mutant? I know she was added to be a teacher but that's it? Did she even have a significant story with them for the team to add her? And it looks like from the new X-Men titles and other Marvel titles that she gonna be another forgotten hero.

Firestar is a character that I'm quite fond of since she had so many connections to the New Mutants prior to becoming a New Warrior, and Avenger, with especially tense history with Emma Frost via The Hellions. You should look at her character page. Also, she's a mutant (one of the more powerful energy generators, btw). I think the point was that she hasn't been used much since since she left the Divas. And she is one of the few characters that has gone on to college to study science, so hiring her as a Physics Professor at the School makes sense.

@darthphoenix said:

she'd fit well with the x-men. bobby's counterpart. she doesnt go well with rachel or jean in a roster though

I don't understand why you think she doesn't go well with Rachel or Jean. If it's just about multiple redheads, I'd say that their energy signatures, and costumes, are different enough to make them stand out. And her personality is actually quite different from Jean's. Her ability to disrupt psionics could also be useful since psychic backlash has often incapacitated telepaths before.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By kcomicfan

IMO she is a good fit for the X-men

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: i would have liked iceman dating firestar but now hes gay so........

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Magma around I just think it would be better if Firestar was in New Warriors or even Uncanny Avengers. Like I said she's great as a character but with the Xmen......ehhhh I guess it certainly can't hurt.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

With Magma around I just think it would be better if Firestar was in New Warriors or even Uncanny Avengers. Like I said she's great as a character but with the Xmen......ehhhh I guess it certainly can't hurt.

Magma and Firestar have very different powersets. I'm just not seeing the confusion about what Firestar brings - she blasts and emits microwave radiation, can fly, and her energy signature is quite special. Magma can manipulate the tectonic plates, fire superheated magma or lava when in her magma form, and can regenerate when in contact with the ground. The closest she comes to being redundant would be if she is compared to Sunfire, and even then his energy emissions are superheated plasma and his look is very different.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought she made an interesting addition to the X-Men

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. Just as pointless as the whole era Aaron was writing for the X-men....

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HAWK2916

@phoenixofthetides: There is no confusion here. Like I said I just think she belongs or fits more so in Avengers or New Warriors. The power sets may be different but many times its portrayed the same both flying and blasting heat. I wasn't saying they are the same or even redundant. I'd rather see Magma get development in Xmen as opposed to adding Firestar simple as that

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Ah OK. If you think she just doesn't belong in X-Men, fair enough. I'm just happy to see her be used. I like a lot of the lesser known characters like Magma and Firestar. In many cases, over the over-exposed more well-known characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.