Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Upcoming film continuity problems ahead... (major spoilers)

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

1) So Caliban is planned to be in the the Logan film which is set in 2024... yet the last time we saw him was in the 1980s. However Stephen Merchant is rumored to play the next Caliban, yet they are only less than 10 years apart. Hopefully it will be easy to tell that both Calibans are the same character.

2) There's a rumor of an upcoming X-force film staring Deadpool, X-23, and Psylocke... However Psylocke is from the 80s. Deadpool is from the present. And X-23 is a young girl in 2024....... So that's going to interesting to figure them all out on the same timeline....

3) In the film Logan which is an loose adaptation of Old Man Logan. Apparently Patrick Stewart's Xavier character will take on the role of Hawkeye's and Emma's respective parts in the original storyline. So I guess movie version Emma isn't coming back-- which isn't as much of a continuity issue and a major blessing. January Jones sucked as Emma.

4) While Old Man Logan is an alternate reality. Logan which is based off Old Man Logan is actually apart of the main movie timeline... which could result in a crappy future for the X-men. This could mean Hugh gutted Halle, Famke, Anna, and Kelsey in the future of the timeline. Which could destroy any chances of X4 or a return of the original X-cast to be used again...Despite the actors wishing to return. Which if they do bring them back in could mess up continuity...again. This was one of the main reasons why The Last Stand was a deemed a disaster. Too many fan-favorite character deaths.

I'm worried... and rightfully so.

Thoughts?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Why would anyone be concerned about this?? It's not exactly like the X-Men comics themselves are a glimmering paradigm of continuity.

I mean characters like Karma and Forge were involved with Vietnam (the war) and both somehow still look 25. Every dead X-Man has come back to life and the X-Men interact with all sorts of alternate universes regularly.

It seems the X-Men films are absolutely faithful to the comics in a strange way.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about continuity when you have cool mutants in cool stories.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly this

Why would anyone be concerned about this?? It's not exactly like the X-Men comics themselves are a glimmering paradigm of continuity.

I mean characters like Karma and Forge were involved with Vietnam (the war) and both somehow still look 25. Every dead X-Man has come back to life and the X-Men interact with all sorts of alternate universes regularly.

It seems the X-Men comics are absolutely faithful in strange way.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly this

@cattlebattle said:

It seems the X-Men comics are absolutely faithful in strange way.

Just about

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably should do somthing to fix it. Maybe reboot, recast, and rebuild the X-Men in the world of Deadpool. It don't really bother me, but it should bother Fox. When the reviews of X-Men: Apocalypse first came out, a good portion of the early critics were bashing it for messing up the timeline of the original movies. Like they didn't understand that Days of Future Past hit a reset button on the franchise. Even saw the same thing on some of the user reviews for the movie on this site.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RaunJisto

So are we certain this this movie also won't be an alternate reality in the X-men movieverse?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like First Class, I have to admit it was absolutely terrible continuity-wise. I mean I could totally see Mystique's social disconnection or selectivity, which led her becoming a silent and badass assassin that she was in the first movies be the result of harsh past experiences for all of them understandable reasons, from that insecure girl that we've witnessed in FC. It's their history with Xavier that makes little sense after how remorseless she was towards him eventually which could only mean that he either hurt her very much, or betrayed at some point of time. And since none of this was acknowledged, it made the cinematically cohesive experience vastly diminished imo. Then we have none-bald Xavier becoming paralyzed before he got balding, plus Emma Frost whom we already saw in Wolverine's Origins as a kid to Prof X's adulthood right there. Well the EF can be easily ignored I guess, I mean if there can be multiple telepaths why can't there be others with diamond form? Pft. But it's the discordant nuances like all that said above, Beast making cerebro, this stuff, makes aforementioned "cohesive cinematic experience" kinda fractured.

But let's be real, could you really believe after watching X1 that Sabretooth is Wolverine brother? Continuity messups happened with the first frikin spinoff already. It was always f@cked up.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Thunderscream
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Original Time Line and First Class Time Line are two different universes.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it's a waste of time to try and figure out movie timelines in relation to comics timelines. Both are screwed up. I think we just have to try and enjoy the movies for what they are. As hard as that might be

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.