Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

uniforms vs individual

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

this feels like a school question but what do you guys like better for the X-men? when they all had the same uniform or when they wear their own costumes and why?

No Caption Provided

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I like uniforms

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Individual outfits, no doubt, uniforms are boring and reserved for henchmen. Besides, isn't it the point of graduating Xaviers school to become "an individual"?

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaunJisto

I prefer the individual costumes. Just throw an X in there on the belt buckle or torso and that's all you need really.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Individual costumes. The only way I like the uniforms is if they are some sort of government team or corporate sponsored or something

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cattlebattle: Do you need a flashy, garish appearance to be an individual?

I actually like matching uniforms, or at least matching color schemes.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk...I feel like they should at least compliment each other. Astonishings costumes are all different but play to the same theme... Throw Gambit or Polaris in with them and they just look weird....even Cyclops yellow boots and panties look makes him stand out in the ANAD line up and not in a good way.

Uniforms really work better if they are at the school teaching (I mean aside from Storm's last costume which could've been superhero work ware for the professional) or part of a organization that needs to be identified as soon as they show up on the scene.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Individual outfits, no doubt, uniforms are boring and reserved for henchmen. Besides, isn't it the point of graduating Xaviers school to become "an individual"?

this sort of sums up how I always felt about it. I like when the students wear uniforms, but I like it less on the X-men themselves.

That said, I do kind of like it when the X-men have individualized versions of the uniform, like Cassaday's designs

No Caption Provided

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Individual for sure.

No Caption Provided

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Individual Costumes.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@cattlebattle: Do you need a flashy, garish appearance to be an individual?

In real life?? No, not really. In a super hero comic where all the male and female characters have roughly the same anatomy and lots of colour is needed to help the artwork "pop"? Yes, yes you do.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: this for sure maybe team colors lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: idk about that just because things like White for Storm, Green for Polaris and purple for Psylocke are sort of needed. But I think the costumes should at least look like they were designed by the same person or with the same group in mind. Like Cassady has all his uniforms look like there 3 parts sewed together. With the same X belt buckle holding them together. Or how Jim Lee's costumes look like the whole team went to the same leather and armor factory when it exploded. They all fit together but don't look strange on their own.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both i guess lol

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uniforms for student teams, individual outfits for full members

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always liked the uniforms. The individual costumes were too uneven, with some very good, while others were so-so. And I outgrew the bathing suit costume look for the superheroines a long time ago.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love individual costumes mostly. That being said, my favourite team costumes ever are the typical X-Force ones from like 2009 when everyone on the team has a costume that compliments their bodies and power sets, but still works to a theme - which is more a uniform. I mean, I love all X-Force costumes, but I specifically remember 2009/2010 being a point when everyone was rocking the black and grey and it looked totally gorgeous!

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I prefer Uniforms if they're well designed like the Blue/Yellow color scheme in All New X-Men, or the Grant Morrison X-Men look. Makes the X-Men look like more of a team rather than a random bunch of people fighting together.

MicroSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Costumes.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer uniforms. Costumes look good sometimes, but often there is at least one person who looks ridiculous. Uniforms usually look good on everybody.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

No, preference really. Both can be very cool and work very well.

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends... I think new members should have uniforms, while veterans get their own costumes.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think uniforms would be good once in awhile. Like when they go on a space mission.

Also, uniforms with different colors would only work to a limited number of members. 5 the most. Like the o5

If more than 5 members, better have uniform with one color. Like jim lee's yellow and blue uniform.

I really like the acolytes uniform

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the original X-Factor uniforms. They are simple uniforms but still reflect the individual characters. I would like to see the other X-Men get their own X-Factor style costume.

No Caption Provided

MicroSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron: Did you draw those? They're pretty good.

I thought the original X-Factor uniforms were alright, but I didn't really care for Jean or Beast. I liked Jean's second outfit, the red one, more.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@microsoft: Thanks, yeah I did draw them. I cheated a bit though as I traced their outlines from existing images, but I did it as proof of concept for the costumes, not for the art.

I think Jean's original green and gold X-Factor costume (minus the mask) would work well on Rogue, with a jacket or a hoodie over the top. It was suggested by J. G. Jones in his excellent splash page in All-New X-Men 25. Rogue is behind Nightcrawler, under Beast's arm.

No Caption Provided

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind either way.

Would be cool of this was a poll.

Denam_Pavel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nightcrawler, Storm, Sunfire and many other should absolutely stay in their individual costumes. With those that I feel their best outfit is the uniform simply haven't found their optimal look yet.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump for thought.

Especially considering that Scott is likely going back to his yellow boots and panties look

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

bump for thought.

Especially considering that Scott is likely going back to his yellow boots and panties look

Still same thought as 3 years ago, uniforms to some extent are just better. The X men are supposed to be a closer nit organization than say the Avengers, so if they at least have similar color schemes or patterns then I think it comes off better. Things like the Uncanny X force redesign (with storm spiral and bishop) are my favorite way to go about it, not so much the whole Original X men look where they are all just alike but the ones that have a shared theme

Yea those comics sucked, but i was so excited mainly because of the redesigns

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: See. Not gonna lie, something that initially sold me on Cable and X-force is the orange and grey theme. And really the only time ive liked a team reveal on sight has been when they share a theme or aesthetic.

That said moments like Jeans "to me my x-men" where we see Red, Utopia, Decimation, X-treme, Reloaded and revolution era outfits from indiviuals really helps to portray the X-Men's history in a single moment.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: See i get that, but in that moment them all having different outfits is fine, LIke maggot hasnt been on a team in forever *thankfully* so he would show up in the 1990's team outfit he wore, while Idk Spiral would be wearing that X force thing, so you would still get the wide array of team history it would just be easier to spot what era the faceless character most of us had forgotten about was from

And the only bad part about this whole team uniform thing is for the comics to do this they need to dedicate themselves to a book for loner than 6 months or it just seems silly

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I agree. You need lasting power to make your individual uniform mean something.

Things like this always make me call back to the most egregious example in resent years.

Dazzler, with very little plot and writing to support or explain things, became a shield agent before being abducted by Mystique and joining Bendis' X-Men team as a angry traumatized (i guess, he didn't really dedicate more then a couple panels to explaining it) X-Man.

This plot point is so easily forgotten it's laughable and didn't even last a year. But it gave Dazzler 2 very distinct outfits that would call back to this run. Ultimately though if people saw it...it would be very much like the one of X-force/factor costumes from the 2012-2015 era.....where no one really remembers the details of it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say for a pair or trio, individual attire is important.

For a team of five or more who regularly team-up, a unifying color scheme should be important as time progresses. I.e. have them be in their individual attire to begin with, then, as the team forms, introduce the new uniform.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@microsoft: Thanks, yeah I did draw them. I cheated a bit though as I traced their outlines from existing images, but I did it as proof of concept for the costumes, not for the art.

I think Jean's original green and gold X-Factor costume (minus the mask) would work well on Rogue, with a jacket or a hoodie over the top. It was suggested by J. G. Jones in his excellent splash page in All-New X-Men 25. Rogue is behind Nightcrawler, under Beast's arm.

No Caption Provided

Jean Grey's green and gold is her more iconic color palettes, yeah. That said, it also shares colors with Iron Fist and HYDRA, so it's mostly the Gold and Phoenix motiff that tends to stay true.

Also, I notice Emma Frost (as a consummate fan of such) and I just love that pose of her just signing autographs while looking damn fabulous.

Then I notice Psylocke squatting and the magic is gone.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: yea they make all these great outfits for no real reason, or the reason is so terribly explained no one remembers. I enjoyed the idea behind dazzler in that book but at the same time it was such an afterthought when it did get mentioned you were like "oh yea" that thing

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jean Grey's green and gold is her more iconic color palettes, yeah. That said, it also shares colors with Iron Fist and HYDRA, so it's mostly the Gold and Phoenix motiff that tends to stay true.

Also, I notice Emma Frost (as a consummate fan of such) and I just love that pose of her just signing autographs while looking damn fabulous.

Then I notice Psylocke squatting and the magic is gone.

Look closer...is she holding Nightcrawler's tail AND pooping in stilettos? And Kitty is riding Wolverine's shoulders, but both legs over one shoulder? And lol Mystique is easy to miss, upstaged by Beast's manties.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still kind of maintain my initial thought from 3 years ago....senior members and full X-Men really do deserve individual looks, preferably with some kind of unifying them definitely, but they should still each look unique.

Student teams should have uniforms with some variations between them to help differentiate them.

Also, while I like the idea that the X-Men are slowly returning to their roots....I REALLY just want the underwear on the outside look to go away. I almost cried when Magneto returned to his fully traditional costume after having such a great run of looks since ditching the purple diaper

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: not sure what psylocke is doing to nightcrawler but itsnot fit for children thats for sure

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on the organization, but for me, individual.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.