Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Thoughts on Age of X.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have recently read Age of X in it's entirety and while I think it's generic crap, it did have some interesting things about it......

The story itself is sort of mundane. It's sort of like an X-Men centric House of M scenario where a certain character alters a reality to their specifications and some changes reverberate when the reality is set straight again. It's also similar to Age of Apocalypse in the sense that it has a novelty, "What if" type aspect where the X-Men are formed, or not formed, under different circumstances and characters have different allegiances and wear different outfits and have different appearances, or in some cases are completely different characters altogether. It isn't as over hyped, grandiloquent and prolonged as the Age of Apocalypse either.

It features a character, in this case Rogue, learning that reality isn't the real reality, not unlike the plot of aforementioned stories like House of M and Age of Apocalypse, so different characters conspire to stop her and some to assist her. Again, like those other stories. There is an Avengers type entry to the series where it features a group of superhumans who hunt down mutants (Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Susan Storm Black Widow, and Ghost Rider) and instead of telling an interesting story of how prejudice might exist and in reality there really is no such thing as "good and evil" and just people who believe what they are doing is right, they just primarily act like psychopaths until a couple of them have a change of heart and fight the others. Typical super hero comic drivel.

The artwork in the X-Men Legacy entries in the series and the promotional art were done by Clay Mann who is a great artist, though in twenty years comic book hipsters will probably look back at his work and heavily criticize it, you know, like Jim Lee. The other entries have serviceable art but nothing that stands out.

There some pretty good takeaways from it though....for instance I thought the use of Gambit was nice. Gambit is always used better in alternate universes actually, because he is usually some sort of loner or in the case of something like Age of Apocalypse, he was tasked with stealing something.... because is a thief. I don't know, he just seems "cooler" I guess and more interesting if he is just a character that shows up and interacts in a story arc once in a while as opposed to just being X-Men member #000026.

Also Pixie, who was named Nightmare in this, looked much better as a gargoyle woman than how she usually looks, which is like a character from Rainbow Brite.

No Caption Provided

Another thing worth mentioning is the Guthries. Their family is killed and they form X-Force. Not only was Cannoball field leader in of the X-Men type group (yay) but Paige, otherwise known as Husk, Cannonball's sister, also played an important role. I don't remember what happens to Paige, but Cannonball tragically dies (boo) near the end.

If nobody remembers, Paige (Husk) was an astute young girl with a promising future and an obsession with being the leader of an X-team in the pages of Generation X, became little more than Angel's semen depository in the pages of X-Men, then retired to a life of having random X-character syndrome since then with mental instability and lack of control with her powers. She has since recovered from that. Her power was pretty unique and I would have liked to see more of her.

No Caption Provided

Anyways, it was nice to see the two siblings interacting and be important X-Men members. I would have liked or would like to see a series with them possibly splitting leadership duties among a team. I suppose you could have them bicker as siblings do while trying to lead, might be a neat dynamic for a spin off title.

And speaking of things I would like to see.......

No Caption Provided

How come this group isn't just the X-Men now?? This was Dani Moonstar's Cadre and I found this to be the best line up and the most interesting thing in the entirety of Age of X. Dani Moonstar using her archery skills, Karma, Magma, Douglock, Sunspot and Dust. Seriously, somebody create a book with this group. If you don't want it to be too New Mutants-y you could swap out Magma for Firestar or something. I would much rather read about these guys than most of the current X-Men characters, I mean, does anyone really care about the further adventures of Wolverine and Jean grey, who really aren't Jean and Wolverine but totally are, or Colossus and Nightcralwer who have each been through their 17th dramatic emotional outlook on life at this point?? I don't.

Make that happen.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I absolutely loved the New X-Men lineup in Age of X. They were so capable and they were a force to be reckoned with for good reason. You had two forces of nature with Dust and Magma, a mind-controlling telepath, an expert marks(wo)man, a tank, and a very unsettling techno-organic guy. I'd definitely take them over the Extraordinary X-men or the time displaced team.

I also feel like Bendis missed an opportunity with not just going with Dazzler's Age of X costume and opting for her costume that went through a shredder. I found myself enjoying Basilisk as well and liked how he had ssuch an appropriate name.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the way Age of X gets talked up in this forum, I was quite disappointed too. The whole story was very depressing. The characters themselves have no fun, and while the art is good, everything is grey coloured.

The lack of a proper discussion on prejudice makes perfect sense that it is a world made by David Haller.

On a slightly unrelated note, why were the heroes so quick to destroy the fake reality in House of M? It seemed to be a better world for pretty much everyone. That world was a great playground to explore new ideas on prejudice too.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raunjisto: I found myself enjoying Basilisk as well and liked how he had ssuch an appropriate name.

Yeah, If they insist on keeping Cyclops around and him being an important part of the X-men I wish they would make him more like his Age of X counterpart, especially with his current outlook. Definitely needs the mask.

With the way Age of X gets talked up in this forum,

I wasn't aware that anyone "talked up" Age of X one here.....I don't think I have even heard anyone mention it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To me, Age of X is like a nice little X-Men art gallery/pin-up collection. I barely recall the plot, but I remember thinking "Oh wow, everyone looks cooler with these new designs. They should keep them."

-___-

They didn't keep them.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

@sprior93 said:

To me, Age of X is like a nice little X-Men art gallery/pin-up collection. I barely recall the plot, but I remember thinking "Oh wow, everyone looks cooler with these new designs. They should keep them."

-___-

They didn't keep them.

Ew, no, bleh. The costume designs largely looked like cosplay teenagers would wear to a rave that was "neo-medieval" themed. Buckles, plate armor and tight leather. I mean look at Karma and Doug-o in the picture I posted above, they are just wearing skin tight shiny bodysuits. They look like back up dancers for Lady Gaga.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

I like tight leather and skin tight bodysuits.

"cosplay teenagers would wear to a rave"

You're old.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just dont like it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I see you turned the mods against King David. Our last hope has been snuffed out. Where does your lust for power end? How much blood will you spill before your thirst is quenched?

The horror, the horror!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

You're old.

Raves are still a thing. It's not my fault you don't know about things.

@koays said:

I just dont like it...

Fascinating insight.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: lol but its accurate.... i mean i dont like Age of Apocalypse but thats because its a tedious series of loosely connected Alt. U. Stories that dont stand well on their own. I know that much. I dont like AvX because its a poor finale to a important trilogy of stories and doesnt even explore the consequences of its own scale let alone lead to anything meaningful.

Age of X is just another Alt U. The costumes are different...which is expected. The characters act different...again expected (though taking farther then usual). Their are shocking relationships and unions as the norm here...ok.

It just doesnt do anything to make me like it...except maybe Frenzy's aftermath and alot of the last issue. But really its just a really dragged out time waster.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I picked it up on sale on Comixology after a few people mentioned it as a good alternate reality X-Men. I think it was mostly mentioned in relation to Gambit, Mag's armour and Cannonball leading the X-Men.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

While Age of X is yet another alternate reality. I think it's one of the better ones written. It's one of the better stories that came out then. I also like the depiction of Gambit, Pixie, Moonstars Cadre, and Husk. I like the potential that came out of the story. Frenzy making a change. I hope one day Pixie goes the Nightmare route. Also Gambit should be using charged bullets. I agree Moonstars cadre should be a team....have to give them a good premise later but I immediately think investigations and secret missions. I like that those memories of that time is still in people's minds. The force walls protecting them was an interesting concept that could be used also. Overall it was not horrible and is better by far than any of the All New and Extraordinary stuff out there now

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Hush your mouth and add him to the list of people to go missing under my reign, while praying i didnt do to him what i did to Oldnightcrawler.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto was so daddy in that all-white costume.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: I was also a fan of the all white for Magneto. I really liked how Doug looked too.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@cattlebattle: lol but its accurate.... i mean i dont like Age of Apocalypse but thats because its a tedious series of loosely connected Alt. U. Stories that dont stand well on their own. I know that much. I dont like AvX because its a poor finale to a important trilogy of stories and doesnt even explore the consequences of its own scale let alone lead to anything meaningful.

Age of X is just another Alt U. The costumes are different...which is expected. The characters act different...again expected (though taking farther then usual). Their are shocking relationships and unions as the norm here...ok.

It just doesnt do anything to make me like it...except maybe Frenzy's aftermath and alot of the last issue. But really its just a really dragged out time waster.

Yes. I didn't think very much of it either and thought it blatantly just reused plot elements from previous crossovers. There was some good ideas used in it though, character wise at least.

@tristanheron I don't think I have ever heard anyone really praise the actual crossover though. Maybe someone mentioned that they liked the artwork or something.
    @hawk2916 said:

. Also Gambit should be using charged bullets.

If super hero comics insist on using the same characters for decades I agree their should be some evolution to a character to show they have aged, or do things some what differently or at least look different now. In that regard, I agree that if Gambit has a more nuanced power set these days then he should be using some sort of firearm.

@sprior93 said:

Magneto was so daddy in that all-white costume.

He looked like a militant Colonel Sanders. If you have white hair, you have to avoid wearing all white.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Douglock was cool too and should be a permanent thing.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loved some of the character redesigns and histories. Felt it could have been grander.

HowlingWolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me the most memorable thing about it was the art.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By adamTRMM

Purple Sunspot was lovely as well.

You know what, I mean look at this thread (and it's common pattern I've noticed in general), Mann managed to attract people to this story even just by design and style. Now, look at Suicide Squad (movie) the plot... what plot? Characters... what the hell proper and compelling characterization even is? No matter how you look at it, SS was creative abomination, worthless on all accounts of substance... apart of just one - style/design. Seriously, this movie was extremely attractive just from the looks, and with that single accomplishment they made frikin 732 millions... and that's while everyone thrashes it online and out... And then, look at Apocalypse... It had Katniss, Fassbender, McAvoy, Jackman (not for long, still), well known brand, previously successful AND praised movie, and yet they struggled to pass 500. I think I just realized what the problem was. It terribly lacked... style. And it's especially well-documented by the release of the mall scene that from what I've seen was universally praised, while the movie in general was nothing like. Character designs were bland, general aesthetics were as close to standard as possible, story was linear and predictable (because we're not willing it to be successful just by design right?), basically, everything about it was uninspired and unattractive. The main reason I went to watch was out of fan obligation more than actual excitement, while SS managed to achieve the opposite, I was expecting some new approach towards CBM... and it's just by design. I let myself be deceived because I wanted to of course, since I already knew better to not really expect much from the guy who was behind that utter piece of trash that is Sabotage, yet by design I also remembered that that guy was also behind Harsh Times and Training Day. I mean, how come an absurd and trashy parody (and yet absolutely awesome!) of the 80s that was Kung Fury, got better drive and style than did Apocalypse?

Sorry for derailing, I just felt like brainstorming :]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.