Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should Wolverine be a X-Man?

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I know... I know.... he is dead.

Everyone seems to agree that wolverine was used to much, but no one seems to agree where he should be used. When he comes back do you think he should rejoin the X-Men or stick to his own title and the avengers?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He'll come back and join both teams and having his own solo simultaneously

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Wolverine was written well I used to prefer him to just stick to his own series. In my opinion Wolverine was written best by people like Greg Rucka and Chris Claremont and when you see him in those stories it becomes hard to picture the same guy being in the X-Men.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@invain said:

I know... I know.... he is dead.

Everyone seems to agree that wolverine was used to much, but no one seems to agree where he should be used. When he comes back do you think he should rejoin the X-Men or stick to his own title and the avengers?

I like Wolverine a bunch, so I really can enjoy him with the X-men, the Avengers, or on his own. If I had to pick between the three options, I'd say have him with the X-men... but I don't have to.

Also, and I know some are divided on this, but to me he's not really dead. When I read the original Old Man Logan story, I read it as though it was the same Wolverine I'd been reading about my whole life -there's nothing about that story to make me think of him as a different character, so, to me Old man Logan is Wolverine. I honestly don't even understand why people are making the distinction.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Wolverine was written well I used to prefer him to just stick to his own series. In my opinion Wolverine was written best by people like Greg Rucka and Chris Claremont and when you see him in those stories it becomes hard to picture the same guy being in the X-Men.

no it doesn't.

not to me, anyway.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Immolation

@oldnightcrawler: Thst came out wrong. I don't think Wolverine seems like a different person or anything in those stories. It's just that when you see him doing something like traveling the country or living in some random run down apartments he doesn't seem like he should be in the X-Men. Just another timing thing with him being in to many stories at once. Since I really liked those stories I would of just preferred him to keep doing that if I had to choose between his solo series or the X-Men.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@immolation said:

@oldnightcrawler: Thst came out wrong. I don't think Wolverine seems like a different person or anything in those stories. It's just that when you see him doing something like traveling the country or living in some random run down apartments he doesn't seem like he should be in the X-Men. Just another timing thing with him being in to many stories at once. Since I really liked those stories I would of just preferred him to keep doing that if I had to choose between his solo series or the X-Men.

oh, okay, I see what you mean.

I dunno, I hear people say stuff like that, like, how can he be in so many stories all over the place all the time.. and I just think, well, I had time to read all of those stories, and live the rest of my life, so since his whole life is just being in stories, why wouldn't he have time?

also, Wolverine never runs out of time.

also also, I don't care about like continuity. when I'm reading a Wolverine story, the only Wolverine story I care about is the one I'm reading; how they all fit together isn't the point, the stories themselves are.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Immolation

@oldnightcrawler: It never bothered me to much either. I rarely ever thought about it. I feel the same way when reading a wolverine story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Wolverine is at his best when he's an X-Man. He has foils in characters like Kitty, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus that make him more compelling.

His solo series often get lost in brainless violence and overly angsty monologues, offering little in the way of plot and characterization.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: right?

I mean, I can see why people would think about it, as a point of trivia or whatever.. I just don't get what that has to do with what's good (or bad) about the stories themselves.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

He should be purely an X-Man unless they try to force him into being the leader.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love wolverine (I know a lot f the hardcore X fans seem to have a opposite opinion) and I will probably read him no matter where he is. If I had to choose though I would like him to stay with the X-Men.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@izzy0292 said:

I love wolverine (I know a lot f the hardcore X fans seem to have a opposite opinion) and I will probably read him no matter where he is. If I had to choose though I would like him to stay with the X-Men.

I dont think any hardcore Xmen fan really hates him, we just get sick of bad characters and people who are casual X fans acting like hes the end all of X men, the only one who matters and his popularity (which we are mostly responsible for) causing our other characters we know and love to be totally ignored in favor of him in every X book. Still most every X fan still has fond feelings for him being used in the more traditional way. I for one will more then likely come off as a wolverine hater, im good with him being dead and happy with OML in his place I would love to see more characters like warpath, or wolfsbane used in his place but still I love alot of wolverine stories and always happy to see him interact with people like Jubilee or Kitty so yea lol.

As for should he be an X man Hell yea he should, thats why hes who he is. Its the X men who make him even more interesting. Sure he can hold a solo title but his more interesting interactions and moments aren't with the characters created for him in other books. I honestly couldn't care less for Draken, his death via puddle in X force was blah to me when it was suppose to be a powerful moment. His moments with people WHO I care about, Kitty, Jubilee, Scott, Armor, Jean, Storm, Kurt, Colossus, those are the moments and the stories that make him a good character and fun to read. Can't have wolverine without the fastball special darn it!!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wolverine is a great character though he has been overexposed recently. I like him with the Xmen and not as the leader. Not a big fan of solos at all. I think what some fans don't like is Wolverine being in six or seven books all at once while other characters that could be used sit on the sidelines.

Also I really don't get the disrespect for continuity some people have. Its not like it really hurts or even limits a story, in my opinion a decent writer can tell a good story while still respecting it. I guess I feel that way because I read and help edit and critique a lot of novels both fiction and nonfiction. I guess I take that same linear approach to comics at times but really for me it comes down convoluted vs continuity. And I'll pick continuity all the time. I'm just not artsy like that, I think a story should make sense. That's not to say that Wolverine can't appear in multiple books at the same time, but he shouldn't be with bone claws in one but adamantium in another. He shouldn't be with a healing factor in one but not in the other. I mean if he's off in Madripoor or in another dimension then let that story finish before you have him back at the school teaching self-defense class and sitting behind a principals desk. I just don't think that's too hard to accomplish or portray.

As far as the Old Man Logan thing...well I thought the original story was OK but really sort of meh. In an illusion Wolverine kills every Xman...Really? Yea that's highly unlikely especially when he's always getting his ass kicked from here to next week by whoever he's fighting. I would have liked the story more as an elaborate illusion to get him to turn against all the superheroes and return to Weapon X in some way or to get him out of the way for something else, hell maybe even some dreamt up by the Canadian government to get him back in Alpha Flight or something . I'm sort of sick of all the alternate universe stuff and while its easy to turn a blind eye and just make up a story that this is Logan in the future, that's not really the case. Its yet another alternate reality character. I think the same tortured soul depiction that they seem to want could have been accomplished another way or in-universe. The overused character death thing is part of the problem with this too because in my opinion its kind of stupid to kill him off then turn right around a few weeks later to bring a "version" of the same character back. To me it becomes a simple matter of, why. Why do all that just to tell a story? Why do all that...just to see who come up with the most creative way to kill? It just gets exceedingly ridiculous at least to me. And again really just unnecessary.

All that said, to me OML is more Wolverine and I prefer him in that role more so than making it some sort of mantle to be passed on to Laura now. She is X23 or Talon not Wolverine so in that sense... yeah.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

As for should he be an X man Hell yea he should, thats why hes who he is. Its the X men who make him even more interesting. Sure he can hold a solo title but his more interesting interactions and moments aren't with the characters created for him in other books. I honestly couldn't care less for Draken, his death via puddle in X force was blah to me when it was suppose to be a powerful moment. His moments with people WHO I care about, Kitty, Jubilee, Scott, Armor, Jean, Storm, Kurt, Colossus, those are the moments and the stories that make him a good character and fun to read. Can't have wolverine without the fastball special darn it!!

word up.

@hawk2916 said:

..Also I really don't get the disrespect for continuity some people have. Its not like it really hurts or even limits a story, in my opinion a decent writer can tell a good story while still respecting it. I guess I feel that way because I read and help edit and critique a lot of novels both fiction and nonfiction. I guess I take that same linear approach to comics at times but really for me it comes down convoluted vs continuity. And I'll pick continuity all the time. I'm just not artsy like that, I think a story should make sense. That's not to say that Wolverine can't appear in multiple books at the same time, but he shouldn't be with bone claws in one but adamantium in another. He shouldn't be with a healing factor in one but not in the other. I mean if he's off in Madripoor or in another dimension then let that story finish before you have him back at the school teaching self-defense class and sitting behind a principals desk. I just don't think that's too hard to accomplish or portray.

I think a story should make sense, that is, that it should have it's own continuity; I just don't think continuity should have to matter from one story to the next. Every book doesn't need to follow exactly the same continuity for each story to make sense in itself. Canon in fiction is arbitrary, so it's not like there's any one true continuity anyway; there's only ever the illusion of continuity.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I just think there are some rules that should be followed. Just because its fiction doesn't make a certain continuity arbitrary. Laziness on the editors and writers parts is what has made it so. The elements of a good concise story and continuity can work hand and hand and doesn't have to be a deterrent or hindrance to the story. I've seen it work and I know it can so to see what I deem to be laziness in ignoring it is a bit aggravating to me. But it is what it is because ultimately what I express falls on deaf ears

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: I just think there are some rules that should be followed. Just because its fiction doesn't make a certain continuity arbitrary. Laziness on the editors and writers parts is what has made it so. The elements of a good concise story and continuity can work hand and hand and doesn't have to be a deterrent or hindrance to the story. I've seen it work and I know it can so to see what I deem to be laziness in ignoring it is a bit aggravating to me. But it is what it is because ultimately what I express falls on deaf ears

one of the reasons i never follow X men solo stories is they don't seem to fit in with the rest of whats going on lol, i gave up on that A LONG time ago. but yea it would be nice, but at the same time unless they take the character out of all team books (like they did magneto) its more then likely impossible to do

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:
    @hawk2916 said:

one of the reasons i never follow X men solo stories is they don't seem to fit in with the rest of whats going on lol, i gave up on that A LONG time ago. but yea it would be nice, but at the same time unless they take the character out of all team books (like they did magneto) its more then likely impossible to do

no it's not, it's literally the opposite of impossible.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: wernt u the one that said the o5(marvel now) are from a different timeline? how can u think OLM is the 616 logan even emma said he is from a possible future not our future

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes. I prefer him as a member of the X-men over an Avenger

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: wernt u the one that said the o5(marvel now) are from a different timeline? how can u think OLM is the 616 logan even emma said he is from a possible future not our future

I think he said that by every law of science Marvel has ever stated they SHOULD be from a different timeline, or at least create a different one when they were snatched to the present.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

I didn't mean to say a certain continuity is arbitrary, I said the idea of canon -as it applies to fiction- is arbitrary. In reality, all of the stories equally happened (since we read them) and didn't happen (since they are fiction), so the idea that one continuity is canon and another isn't is a line that by it's nature can only be arbitrary.

I mean, I can agree that for the sake of a given story, a story generally works best with it's own internal continuity, sure. I just don't think any creator should have to follow the continuity of another creator's story to create their own.

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

I said that, according to the events in All-New X-Men #1, the O5 are definitively from an alternate version of The X-Men #8, yes. If The X-men #8 is considered the 616 version of the past, then the O5 are from a different version of that.

But all of the events of Old Man Logan are all set in the future, which means there's nothing about them to contradict the time that the X-men are set in now. Not yet, anyway. Sure, 616 Wolverine's dead in this timeline, but we don't know he always will be (/we can almost assume he won't always be).

Also, "possible future" implies that, possibly, he could be from ours.

Anyway, I didn't say OML was the 616 Wolverine; I said that when I read the original OML story I assumed he was the same character and since I've seen nothing about him that contradicts that, I consider him to be the same. I honestly don't care if he technically is or not -I know that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine isn't the 616 version, but when I watch the movies he's still the Wolverine, so who cares?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wolverine will always be an X-Man to me.

SinisterSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think about this sometimes. I honestly prefer Wolverine either on his own or in X-Force.

Just doesn't make sense to me to have an angry, violent character with razor-sharp claws on a team that's against killing. Logan's a killing machine, he's said over and over again that there's no getting away from who he is, so... why does he stay with the X-Men?

I don't know, it just seems like Wolverine isn't allowed to be at his best with the X-Men (how do you use those claws in a fight without seriously wounding or killing?) but alone or with X-Force, he gets to be more free to do what he was made for.

Denam_Pavel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I suppose I prefer him on his own titles these days. But still with a X-Men supporting cast then going near the Avengers.

Jok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jok

Only the solo series. Maybe a guest appearance in the X-Men or the Avengers, but not anymore. I'm sick to see how Wolverine is used to cover or "fastball special", but he almost never ever play an important role in the plot. He is great character and he does not need to be on a team that did not even make the funeral when he died.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he comes back he should go solo for a couple of years and then, maybe, return to the X-Men. Never put him in the Avengers again.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

Yes we can. In, fact, I'll be uterly delighted if I never see that stupid, overused move again!

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Abishai100

Lilandra Saves the Day: The Academy Romance Formula

Man oh man, I didn't want to be the first fellow to post a Wolverine picture on this thread, but I found this really great pic on a simple Google search tonight.

First of all, I don't see the literary need to kill off mainstays like Superman and Wolverine. Superman has seen a resurrection with new films and new storyboards about his romance-relationship with Wonder Woman.

Let's see what we can do for Wolverine.

In my opinion, the whole Logan-Jean and Gambit-Rogue romance triangles with Cyclops in the middle and Storm floating around was under-used. However, I do think what we can salvage from this whole 'mess' is a rather interesting Future-Past kindling between Wolverine and Storm.

Wolverine is all over the place in Hollywood (USA) films. Hugh Jackman has been really terrific.

I can't see Logan joining Magneto or the Nasty Boys in any way. I could stretch something in my brain and link him to Lilandra (maybe). Perhaps Logan/Wolverine is drawn to Lilandra as Xavier and Cyclops find resurrected drama with Jean Grey/Phoenix.

Maybe this superhero-romance approach to resurrection has some pattern to it. Think of it: "Wolverine is resurrected by Lilandra in a strange gene bath and the two begin to really hit it off. However, is this new Logan the old Logan?"

How about a whole alternate-universe Lilandra-Logan series (perhaps adapted into a film)? I'd like to see an actress such as Anne Hathaway portray Lilandra.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Selina_Sublime

I wish they made Old Man Logan a 616 character like they did to Miles. I like angst, loner Logan as opposed to the social animal headmaster.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.