Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13422 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Should there be a mandate.... No new X-students?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Should there be a mandate.... No new X-students? (33 votes)

Yes 52%
    No 48%

This gets debated quite bit when it comes to new creations. Some will accuse others who don't care for new x-kids as being non -progressive or wanting the sane old same old. Some will say stopping writers from coming up with their own young mutant creations is limiting creativity. I would argue differently and say that it forces a writer to be even more creative in using what exist already and finding a feasible way to upgrade, repower or advance the character of an existing mutant. And really if we are being honest here, they seemingly always go back to the original X-Men characters, in the end, don't they? I mean who has gotten more exposure and development over the last few years than Cyclops, one of the originals? Or who's more popular arguably than Wolverine over the years and he was in multiple books, while other good characters sit in the sidelines? I mean even now how many stories really focus on the New Mutants or Generation X. Hell with exception of Magik we have to read a Defenders or Avengers book to find out what the hell is going on with the rest of the students from the New Mutants.

A lot of times students are introduced and people have X-kids they've grown attached to. The problem is that these characters hardly last and just end up being wallpaper. Then another writer comes along and decides to create his/her own version of the same character either with the same or similar powers or the same personality. People either don't give them a chance because there's already another character they like, and/or have seen with the same powers, so it's not as interesting, or they don't even bother with the book because they know that yet another writer, will just repeat the same process. In the case of Kyle and Yost who I love, they just blew up a bus load of students to get rid of everyone. Which was fine with me because most were redundant or had hard to explain powers anyway. Honestly I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to something like that happening again with the JGS and all of Aarons and Bendis new creations and really most of Morrison's with exception of a few. I know I'm in the minority with that but I'm being honest here.

So with all that plus the fact seemingly more recently the quality of the new students/creations has plummeted even in the names (i.e. Eye-boy, Nature-Girl, No-girl etc) Should Marvel just stop the new creations and mandate no new x-kids and just have the writers use one of 50-100 existing characters already out there? Is the xmen pantheon already big enough?

Your thoughts..

• 
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I basically said my piece about Marvel needing to invest in the mutants they already have. But this is essentially where a lot of the problem lies.

I don't have a problem with WatX-Mens students but the fact that they did absolutely nothing with them, consistently for years despite increasing the cast size, adding in the New X-Men from Utopia and repeatedly recruiting more kids.... Well it shows that maybe they need to leave the idea alone until they figure out what to do with them.

I'm not praising New X-Men as a perfect work, but there was at least a story being told and clear cast despite a full school setting. Why WatX-Men couldn't get through Idie, Quire or even Broo's story in 3 years idk, but the fact remains that Uncanny X-Men's student body had more development under a madman then Sharkgirl or Genesis had in 2 volumes.

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that the number of X-Men is out of hand. At the same time, though, I think it's important to remember that our heroes reflect our society, and as our society changes with the times, so should our heroes. I love the original X-Men, Stan Lee's creations were amazing. That said though, many of the best characters were added during Claremont's era, when there was suddenly this ubiquitous push towards representing different ethnicities in media. Of the minority characters introduced in the 70s, I'd say only Storm was a real success -- Sunfire and Thunderbird are either dead(?) or not relevant anymore. But luckily the trend continued in the 80s and Psylocke and Jubilee were added to the roster, and as feminism took off comic book writers started introducing more developed female characters. Someone like Rachel Summers, angry and traumatized and almost infinitely powerful, never could have existed in the 60s, before feminism really reached its height. I'm not a Northstar fan, but he was pretty influential as one of the first gay heroes. What I'm trying to illustrate is that without the creation of new characters, the superheroes wouldn't reflect the diversity and the circumstances of their audiences. While Spider-Man was basically comics' stand in for the average comic book nerd in the 60s, and still is today, now we also have characters like Miles Morales and Kamala Kan, finally acknowledging that persons of color are included in Marvel's fanbase. That relateability aspect of the X-Men is why the series is so enduringly popular. I think it's important that as society changes, the X-Men can reflect those changes. Thus, that's one reason I think it's important to continuously introduce new characters. I don't really know what the future will bring. Maybe a superhero with Autism, or one with a mental disorder? There are so many interesting perspectives that could be explored.

That said, I completely understand what you're saying. I'm far more interested in the "classic" X-Men, too, and it already feels like there's not nearly enough time to read about all the characters I care about. It's especially frustrating to have two different versions of the Original X-Men (other than Jean, but I guess really we have Rachel Grey and Hope Summers and plenty of stand ins for her anyway), when other characters that we'd like to spend more time with are getting the shaft. For me, I'd love to see some more of Multiple Man.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

develop the teen x-men better, all teen x-men(ie O5, surge, x-23, magik, cannonball, hellion,etc)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HAWK2916

@zdub327: I think I've discussed this before but really attempting to show diversity when its suddenly convenient means nothing. I'm African American and I'm not in the least bit happy with black Nick Fury or Falcon being Captain America. Its contrived. All of sudden now what does Marvel expect, African american kids to suddenly be interested in Cap because he's black now? That's just perpetuating the problem. I really don't see this as an excuse to constantly keep throwing out new characters which waters down the product.

In my opinion we already have just about every nationality and lifestyle represented in Xmen so I see no need to keep creating to reflect the times. But then again I never read comics searching for a role model maybe some do.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new mandate is no more X-Men.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's with you and mandates??

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HAWK2916

@cattlebattle: Its just a question about what the fans really want. I'm asking would people be happy if Marvel made certain rules regarding their xmen writers.

You have any thoughts on it?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a mandate : No new mandates.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: If you don't have anything sensible to contribute why comment? What the f@#& is the problem

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: There should also be another mandate especially for you : No Ruslted Jimmies.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@cattlebattle: Its just a question about what the fans really want. I'm asking would people be happy if Marvel made certain rules regarding their xmen writers.

You have any thoughts on it?

I believe writers aren't allowed to create any new characters because of the movie rights ordeal. I assume that means new students as well.

But yeah, I generally agree with what the usual consensus on this topic is...that they shouldn't create these new X-books if the characters are just going to wind up as background drawings. However, the fundamental problem is that X-books get canceled like people change clothes these days. The whole "student-in-training-X-Men" started with the New Mutants in the 80s, but it was a very different time for comics back then and the New Mutants not only tied into the X-Men title, making it kind important, but not overly necessary to read, but it also was the only X-Men spinoff. Making it easier to buy and keep up with. This is an unfortunate problem with the X-titles that is too far gone. Junior X-Men books getting canceled is kind of a thing that you don't want, but will most probably happen....like traffic on the way to work.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: K lets hear it then :D

at least avenger85 cant bother me its my birthday nah nah :PPP although i agree he is a tool, i mean troll........

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eeshaan1685
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

yes but not like the world isn't making any mutants anymore or any of that, just not introducing them in comics for a while and taking this time to focus on some that have been ignored or atleast under exposed over the last few years

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, yes, absolutely yes.

Avatar image for faithandbegorrah
    FaithAndBegorrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes for gods sake. Build the characters that are already seasoned and loved by fans. You can have a school, background shots of students, but please don't focus on them.

Who cares about rockslide when you have colossus? Surge when you have Storm?

Looking for a more reasonable example? Look at Elixir. Presented to us as an omega level mutant, just starting to understand his powers, is given a combat aspect to his powers. And as soon as you think, "holy shit, this guy might be kind of cool if he were experienced and older" he fades into the other failed characters and now we get Triage.

I understand there's an urge for more powers, unique ones, but there are too many similar powers, too many failed ones, too many unexplored characters, and too many relationships for me to care about.

Make the X-men a family, and mutants and endangered species. Not every damn mutant needs spotlight.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant believe how close the voting is on this one!!!

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well, given that they decided to ignore every new character to introduce additional versions of the original X-Men, yeah, enough of the new ones.

Kweschun_Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a new mandate that no new mutants can be created in an X-Men series. Unless they are introduced in a book like Avengers or Spiderman. Since Marvel is self sabotaging the X-Men franchise since the movie rights are owned by Fox. They essentially do not want to promote Mutants or X-Men, or give Fox any new characters to use. So we wont be getting any new students for some time.

I haven't kept up with all the books recently, but I have to agree, WatX didn't jive with me the way New X-Men did. I really enjoyed that cast of characters, and to me it achieved it's goal. Which was to bring back a student/school centric book (like New Mutants was in the 80s). After all it was originally titled New Mutants. I'm not at all interested in any of the newer students, Shark-Girl, Eye-Boy, Gold-Balls, Triage etc (or the five lights).

I don't know what the world is going to look like after Secret Wars, but I wouldn't be upset if somehow all these newer mutants disappear. And for whatever reason, they decide to make another 'Young Mutant' book, I hope they revisit the ones that actually worked (in my opinion). Hellion, Surge, Rockslide, Dust, Anole, Mercury. Perhaps put a few of them on a team with the original New Mutants.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kweschun_mark: Actually the mandate seems to be mostly ignored or has been drastically overstated. From the first time it was mentioned and confirmed to exist by Claremont we've been introduced to Naturegirl, and Matthew Malloy in Uncanny and WatX, the Storm book actually introduced two i think and All New X-Factor and X-Force introduced 1 each as supporting characters.

Tommy_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tommy_X

I voted yes but I'm torn on this. I think we have more than enough x-kids already and don't need more for a long while until the current ones get some focus and fleshing out. I know that many may disagree with putting a stop to creation of new characters and think that it's limiting the creativity but I also think that it could force writers to get more creative by having to dig up old and forgotten characters for stories instead of just creating new ones.

And it's not like Marvel needs to stop creation of all new characters! They could just limit the creation of new students. After all X-Men are in dire need of some fresh new villains at the moment. I could only see point in creating new young mutants if they were actually useful unlike Aaron's creations, had more original powers (not a 100th new character with tp/tk combo) and were meant to be new villains instead of heroes.

@koays:Well those mostly happened because there are loopholes to this mandate. All of Aaron's and Bendis' students were introduced at a point where they were part of Heroic Age/Marvel Now/whatever new relaunch and thus out of Fox's reach. At least this is what Bendis himself said back when this was first brought up. And same goes for Malloy who was introduced in Xavier's Will which, if you remember was tied to Marvel's larger Original Sin story.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I cant believe how close the voting is on this one!!!

Yea i'm at a loss on this...it's currently 50/50 and no one has given a counter argument.

@tommy_x said:

@koays:Well those mostly happened because there are loopholes to this mandate. All of Aaron's and Bendis' students were introduced at a point where they were part of Heroic Age/Marvel Now/whatever new relaunch and thus out of Fox's reach. At least this is what Bendis himself said back when this was first brought up. And same goes for Malloy who was introduced in Xavier's Will which, if you remember was tied to Marvel's larger Original Sin story.

Lol which basically would mean that by the time news of the mandate came out it was irrelevant. I mean i see your point, since it would explain strange things like XX-Men being relabeled as an All New Marvel Now title during the second Arkea arc, but it's seems like an after thought for the writers to consider.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They REALLY need to start using the Academy X kids again. I really don't care for the new X-Kids.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No new students until they develop the existing students. The new mandate should also say don't create students with gimmicky and boring powers. Goldballs is a step in the wrong direction. And the students shouldn't have codenames - Goldballs is a good example of a dumb code name and a boring character with boring powers.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tommy_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tommy_X

@koays: What was irrelevant? The mandate? I think it's still relevant since it makes it harder for writers to create new villains for the X-Men despite the obvious need for that.

Also the mandate seems to still be going strong as the the writer of the Spider-Gwen book let it slip in a podcast (which was quickly edited to remove that mention from it) that they have to base all the new characters on pre-existing ones like Luke Cage etc so that Sony couldn't use them in any movies. And that's despite Marvel already reaching a deal with Sony about sharing Spidey! So it's pretty likely that F4/X-Men who are fully at Fox still are under this mandate if it even affects Spidey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.