Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Rogue fans how do you feel

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How does it make you feel how Rogue has been treated throughout the X-men movies?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fine. Films are directed at a mass audience, not just comic book fans. They have two hours to tell a good story with about seven core characters, so, not everyone is going to get the spotlight.

Thats the problem apparently with X-Men and their movies. Everyone expects their favorite character to be uber important to every plot, when the movies are more about Wolverine, Professor, Magneto and as of lately, Mystique who are all played by very popular, world renowned actors.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

She has not been portrayed well. Its not that she even needs a bigger part buts its the actress and the plot involving her. While Xmen was a good movie, it would have been even better if a few scenes had been shot with Rogue(portrayed by another actress) after almost killing her boyfriend had run away and come across Mystique and taken Mrs. marvel's powers and then was been hunted by Magneto and Mystique for there own agenda. I get that they went along the lines of the Ultimate universe stories but still.

Just because everyone cant get the spotlight doesn't mean that characters should be written or portrayed poorly. I mean they are still based on the comic books otherwise their would be no movie. Its the Xmen so while every character doesnt have to be the be all end all of every single plot, neither should the movie be Wolverine centric as if he's the only one that matters. The same mass audience who would go see the Xmen while not being into the comic, would still go see the same movie regardless of whether it was all about Wolverine or not. So why not try and be true to the product?

Either way out of 4 xmen movies, 3 have been good. So really it doesn't matter. I just find it funny how some people just gobble up whatever is fed to them by the industry and cant see any possible way there could be the slightest little something wrong or basis for complaint about the product.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle

@hawk2916 said:

She has not been portrayed well. Its not that she even needs a bigger part buts its the actress and the plot involving her. While Xmen was a good movie, it would have been even better if a few scenes had been shot with Rogue(portrayed by another actress) after almost killing her boyfriend had run away and come across Mystique and taken Mrs. marvel's powers and then was been hunted by Magneto and Mystique for there own agenda. I get that they went along the lines of the Ultimate universe stories but still.

The Ultimate Universe came after the X-Men film. Also, Not only did the first X-Men film not have a very large budget, but it also didn't have the rights to Ms. Marvel...so yeah, that wouldn't have happened. At the time the first 2 X-Men films were made, comic book films were still sort of "taboo" and didn't really find their place yet, So that factor coupled with the budget is the reason the X-Mens powers were more practical and played down. Hence, why Rogue just has her base abilities.

@hawk2916 said:

Just because everyone cant get the spotlight doesn't mean that characters should be written or portrayed poorly. I mean they are still based on the comic books otherwise their would be no movie. Its the Xmen so while every character doesnt have to be the be all end all of every single plot, neither should the movie be Wolverine centric as if he's the only one that matters. The same mass audience who would go see the Xmen while not being into the comic, would still go see the same movie regardless of whether it was all about Wolverine or not. So why not try and be true to the product?

Not every movie is Wolverine centric. However, Wolverine is the star of the films...because Hollywood is a business and Hugh Jackman is a popular actor worldwide. The X-Men films mad his career, no different from Terminator films and Arnold Swharzenegger. He is synonymous with the franchise. As for the comment about non comic fans not going to see an X-Film regardless of Wolverine being in it...I disagree. Nearly every friend I have ever had was never really into comics and they all didn't like First Class very much, mainly because it is missing a certain character they have come to expect to be included in these films.

@hawk2916 said:

Either way out of 4 xmen movies, 3 have been good. So really it doesn't matter. I just find it funny how some people just gobble up whatever is fed to them by the industry and cant see any possible way there could be the slightest little something wrong or basis for complaint about the product.

You're right. Although I don't know many people that do that. There usually is a reason for everything. For instance, no one really set out to make the Last Stand bad. There was a ton of problems behind the scenes of the film because Singer and his crew left the project halfway through and Fox couldn't find anyone, so they wound up with a thrown together script and a director who had to be rushed, also comic films were on the rise and they were unsure if they were going to make another one so they through a lot of characters in....my point of saying this is that comic films aren't just made for the minority of comic fans, it's made for a international audience, so not everything is going to be perfect, and there is far more that goes into making the film than the comic fans usually comprehend.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I can agree with most of what you are saying... I really do think that the majority of the people going to see superhero/comic book films are in fact comic book fans, maybe not die-hards but at some point comic book fans. I also think that not going to see a film because of the lack of big stars is....well.. missing out to say the least. I mean back in the day imagine not seeing the Godfather because Pacino wasnt a big deal then. That'd be criminal. lol

I missed that about the timeline too, I thought it was the other way around. So I guess the Ultimate line is based off of the movie?

Again while that's an explanation for the powers, I was just pointing out that it would have been pretty cool.... and really if they got the rights to all the Xmen, then with a little more research and effort I think they could have gotten the rights to Ms.Marvel, after all its not like they were asking for Cap or Iron Man. I just think it was more of a case of expediency. My biggest problem was with the actress though as the story was actually pretty decent. All that said.... X1, X2 and First Class were good movies. Although First Class' characters were kind of out there for sure.... I mean Havok in 1st class, really? X3 fell horribly short. X2 was the best imo.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

While I can agree with most of what you are saying... I really do think that the majority of the people going to see superhero/comic book films are in fact comic book fans, maybe not die-hards but at some point comic book fans. I also think that not going to see a film because of the lack of big stars is....well.. missing out to say the least. I mean back in the day imagine not seeing the Godfather because Pacino wasnt a big deal then. That'd be criminal. lol

I missed that about the timeline too, I thought it was the other way around. So I guess the Ultimate line is based off of the movie?

Again while that's an explanation for the powers, I was just pointing out that it would have been pretty cool.... and really if they got the rights to all the Xmen, then with a little more research and effort I think they could have gotten the rights to Ms.Marvel, after all its not like they were asking for Cap or Iron Man. I just think it was more of a case of expediency. My biggest problem was with the actress though as the story was actually pretty decent. All that said.... X1, X2 and First Class were good movies. Although First Class' characters were kind of out there for sure.... I mean Havok in 1st class, really? X3 fell horribly short. X2 was the best imo.

I would still disagree. Although the number of comic fans have probably been bolstered over the past several years due to the comic book films, and of course, our generation due to the fans growing up with the cartoons, you still have to figure in a lot of the film going population who probably vaguely remember the cartoons or never cared to watch them. I can think of many examples in my personal life. I have several sisters and I don't think any of them give a squat about the X-Men, however, they do know who Hugh Jackman is and that he plays Wolverine in the films and like the films. I agree that Hollywood films not being about the stars and being about the collabrative film making as a whole, unfortunately though, we live in a society obsessed with Hollywood, and that's the way Hollywood thinks. They want to put recognizable people on film because it will draw more interest for people to come to see it....some other examples of this would be Robert Downey as Iron Man or even Ben Affleck as Batman.

Yeah, the X-Men film and Spider-Man film from 2002 were the reason Marvel started the Ultimate Universe, they knew these movies were coming out and wanted to make a continuity that they figured the incoming fans could jump on and read without having to worry about all the history.

I think the use of Rogue is OK as it is, in the first film, she is like an introductory character along with Wolverine and kind of a plot device, in the second film there is so much going on that her part isn't really that large, however if you look at it from the context of the film, her and Iceman are untrained kids that live at a school....so it really wouldn't of made sense if they just started flying around and beating down bad guys. Rogue even gets badly written in the comics at times, I think you just kind of have to accept that not everything is going to be perfect, especially in the films..

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, here's my thing. I don't care that Rogue was written as a different then her comic counterpart because like every new comic run characters are left up to the interpretation the writer sees best in regards to the plot.

And it's not like it was character assassination either, Rogue generally has two sides the introvert trapped in her skin and the opinionated southern belle. They chose to use her in the way that best drove the plot which was an introvert looked after by the anti-social Wolverine. And i like the first movie because of the opening companionship between the two. And the movies then evolved her character within the storyline of the films.

I think Paquin did a great job in the first movie, though that may be because she was playing a younger quieter Rouge. After that her character was taken into love triangle category and I've seen enough True Blood that my opinion is heavily biased against her.

The only movie i think Rogue was highly mistreated in was X-Men the Last Stand. Her character, who was the mcguffin role in the first movie and a B Plot in the second movie would've seen excellent growth if she had come full circle and stepped up to a larger role on the team in the "final" movie. That is my only gripe, because they decided to take a unique spin on the character and rather then have her grow into a more adult role (ie Don't give up your powers the week we need to save the world) they kept her at the same level she was in previously.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess to each his own. I personally wish they'd gone in another direction with Rogue. I could have even stood for Jubilee or the introduction of Kitty. I understand for plot purposes why Rogue was used but ultimately I think if we'd had a better actress, it would have raised the level of satisfaction at least for some. That said both X1 and X2 were both good movies. X2 was pretty much great and then we got a huge let down with X3

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is nothing really new to say about this topic that hasn't been said in a dozen other threads created to complain about the X-Films. Just wait for a full reboot.

BRAZEKOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as bad as it could be. "Tolerable" I think is the word. Nothing I'd write a negative review over. I do, in stark contrast, love how she currently is in the comics though.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

Yea, here's my thing. I don't care that Rogue was written as a different then her comic counterpart because like every new comic run characters are left up to the interpretation the writer sees best in regards to the plot.

And it's not like it was character assassination either, Rogue generally has two sides the introvert trapped in her skin and the opinionated southern belle. They chose to use her in the way that best drove the plot which was an introvert looked after by the anti-social Wolverine. And i like the first movie because of the opening companionship between the two. And the movies then evolved her character within the storyline of the films.

I think Paquin did a great job in the first movie, though that may be because she was playing a younger quieter Rouge. After that her character was taken into love triangle category and I've seen enough True Blood that my opinion is heavily biased against her.

The only movie i think Rogue was highly mistreated in was X-Men the Last Stand. Her character, who was the mcguffin role in the first movie and a B Plot in the second movie would've seen excellent growth if she had come full circle and stepped up to a larger role on the team in the "final" movie. That is my only gripe, because they decided to take a unique spin on the character and rather then have her grow into a more adult role (ie Don't give up your powers the week we need to save the world) they kept her at the same level she was in previously.

pretty much all of this.

Jeanniebird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeanniebird
    @koays said:

I completely agree with every word you said :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.