Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Proffessor X = Martin Luther King Jr and Magneto = Malcolm X

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I stumbled across the X-Men on Wikipedia and it says that Proffessor X could have been based on MLK and Magneto could have been based on Malcolm X. 

Racism: Although this was not initially the case, Professor X has come to be compared to civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. and Magneto to the more militant Malcolm X. The X-Men’s purpose is sometimes referred to as achieving "Xavier’s dream," perhaps a reference to King’s historic "I Have a Dream" speech. Magneto, in the first film, quotes Malcolm X with the line "By any means necessary." X-Men comic books have often portrayed mutants as victims of mob violence, evoking images of the lynching of African Americans in the age before the American civil rights movementSentinels and anti-mutant hate groups such as Friends of Humanity, Humanity's Last Stand, the Church of Humanity and Stryker'sPurifiers are thought to often represent oppressive forces like the Ku Klux Klan giving a form to denial of civil rights and amendments. In the 1980s, the comic featured a plot involving the fictional island nation of Genosha, where mutants were segregated and enslaved by an apartheid state. This is widely interpreted as having been a reference to the situation in South Africa at the time 

What do you think of the comparison to MLK and M-X?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

I've heard it a dozen times. It pretty much makes perfect sense.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By biggkeem89

Stan Lee stated years ago that one of his inspirations for the X-Men was the Civil Rights Movement. This was his way of addressing the situation of the time, with Xavier being King and Magneto being X respectively, and mutants as the stand in for African-Americans. On a side note: if you look at the names Xavier starts with X, like Malcolm X, and Magneto begins with M, like Martin. The names have been fixed to correspond to opposites.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Yes agreed.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Makes sense.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

I thought that was Stan Lee's intention.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

Yup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing is, Proff. X was created in 1963, same year of MLK's dream speech.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By daak1212

"Sigh"

This is....

FACT!!!!!

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wise Son

@biggkeem89 said:

Stan Lee stated years ago that one of his inspirations for the X-Men was the Civil Rights Movement. This was his way of addressing the situation of the time, with Xavier being King and Magneto being X respectively, and mutants as the stand in for African-Americans. On a side note: if you look at the names Xavier starts with X, like Malcolm X, and Magneto begins with M, like Martin. The names have been fixed to correspond to opposites.

@comicdude23 said:

Another thing is, Proff. X was created in 1963, same year of MLK's dream speech.

Bingo.

This has been brought up dozens of time before in several threads. It's pretty much been accepted as fact at this point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wise Son: Link?
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wise Son

@comicdude23: I could have sworn I had come across at least one thread here whose OP was about this very topic but my search is acting funny. I think I'm grouping together instances where the topic was brought up in threads discussing the movie in general with threads that actually make the Civil Rights Movement/ Mutants the focus of discussion. On other sites it's been brought up as well. It's still been discussed at length before, all I'm saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.