Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

New Cyclops' Solo series in May

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

But its teen cyclops from ANXM:

The founding X-Men known as Cyclops has been many things: hero, leader, rebel, villain, father. But there’s one thing he’s never been – a solo star – until now.

Earlier this week Marvel announced that in May they are launching Cyclops, an ongoing series by Greg Rucka and Russell Dauterman spinning out of All-New X-Men which will see the teenage Scott Summers find out the father he thought has been dead since his childhood is alive and kicking, and kicking it with aliens as a space pirate. Devoted X-Men fans are just as shocked as Cyclops is, because up until this month’s All-New X-Men #23, Cyclops’ father – Corsair, aka Christopher Summers – has been dead since 2007 thanks to Cyclops’ secret half brother, Vulcan.

But now with Corsair back among the living and his teenage son Cyclops transported forward in time, it’s a chance to make up for lost time. But this father-son bonding isn’t all about learning to shave and fishing trips, because they’re in space and dad’s got a business to run – a pirate business. When asked what readers could expect when Cyclopsdebuts in May, Senior Editor Nick Lowe promised a lot.

Are you happy or not interested in it?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

very much so, this also makes me more excited about ANXM. They have added X 23, will some one replace Cyclops? Could the team filter in a few more new mutants to make it more original then just the time displaced O5?!

And yes for the solo series, im excited it should be fairly good read

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, but should have been Adult Cyke. The younger one needs to stay with his team.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So interested in this. Cannot wait.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only it was the Cyclops I cared about.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Im amazed at people being excited for this. Concepts are horrible and ANXM should just go away. Cant believe they are doing all these dumb solos. I put this in the same category as the upcoming Poop... i meant Doop solo, beyond stupid and the joke being played on us x-fans continues

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@hawk2916 said:

Im amazed at people being excited for this. Concepts are horrible and ANXM should just go away. Cant believe they are doing all these dumb solos. I put this in the same category as the upcoming Poop... i meant Doop solo, beyond stupid and the joke being played on us x-fans continues

hey! how'd Doop get thrown under the bus?

He makes more sense having his own series than Cyclops. Either Cyclops. Or most X-men, really.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Koays

This needs to go away....Why does Young Cyclops need a solo? The only two characters getting development in All New were him and Jean anyway was there not enough room for him or is Jean taking over All New completely? ~Sigh~ We already have a much more interesting Cyclops who needs to be explored in Uncanny and now this

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Doop deserves to go away imo. I really get tired of this silly characters that make a joke out of my favorite franchise. No one in the xmen needs there own solo series. And like Koays said this needs to go away. Marvel should really stop with all this crazy stuff

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordMordor

on one hand...its Rucka writing, and young scott + corsair is sure to provide lots of enjoyable father/son character moments.

on the other...I feel Cyclops' place is with hiss team. It just feels awkward having the O5 split up. But this may be a blessing in disguise. Scott+Jean have basically monopolized ANXM, with the trial over and Scott in space with his dad hopefully Hank, Bobby, and Warren (maybe Laura as well) can get some more page time beyond little comic relief moments.

I'll be giving it a shot at least...

As for Adult Scott vs Young scott....I agree that adult scott probably DESERVES a solo...but I don't think he needs one. He has been the primary character for Uncanny for years now, and is basically 100% dedicated to his current mission. Young Scott on the otherhand hasn't yet grown into being a leader, and since he has yet to grow into the person we know him to be, you have a lot more freedom to work with him as a character. Plus him meeting his father again after thinking him dead, and his father likewise now having a second chance with his young son should be nice.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Doop deserves to go away imo. I really get tired of this silly characters that make a joke out of my favorite franchise. No one in the xmen needs there own solo series. And like Koays said this needs to go away. Marvel should really stop with all this crazy stuff

Pfft.. like it or not, Marvel is built on "crazy stuff" as much as anything else they do. It's all kind of crazy.

Whether you like Doop or not (and I do), he makes more sense having his own series than most of the other X-men characters because he's not really an X-man. Like Gambit (but arguably more so), Doop is a man of mystery who isn't and doesn't need to be defined by his relationship to the X-men. He's actually probably the best candidate to get his own series, really.

And, if he gets his own series, that means he can do his thing separate from the X-men, which would just make sense. I don't see why you would have a problem with that since you seem to not want him around anyway. It's not like if he has his own series you have to read it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cattlebattle

@hawk2916 said:

In fairness, in the X-Force series Doop debuted in there was a lot more going with the character. He was very interesting and it was kind of hinted that possibly maybe he was altering reality or controlling the characters in the book or something to that effect.If they were going to follow up on his original concept it might be cool

But otherwise, yeah, I agree they just have made him into Slimer from the Ghostbusters. Thats a major problem in comics I find, they will take a characters that someone used or introduced as interesting, and just use them for the sake of using them until they are pretty much a joke. Deadpool and Fantomex are also victims of this treatment.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Adult Scott vs Young scott....I agree that adult scott probably DESERVES a solo...but I don't think he needs one. He has been the primary character for Uncanny for years now, and is basically 100% dedicated to his current mission. Young Scott on the otherhand hasn't yet grown into being a leader, and since he has yet to grow into the person we know him to be, you have a lot more freedom to work with him as a character. Plus him meeting his father again after thinking him dead, and his father likewise now having a second chance with his young son should be nice.

This is the way I look at it, too.

I don't really care about young Scott one way or the other, but Cyclops shouldn't need a solo series because he should already be a main character in Uncanny'. It would be like Mr. Fantastic having a solo series.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@hawk2916 said:

In fairness, in the X-Force series Doop debuted in there was a lot more going with the character. He was very interesting and it was kind of hinted that possibly maybe he was altering reality or controlling the characters in the book or something to that effect.If they were going to follow up on his original concept it might be cool

Well it's by his original creator so most likely they will.

BB

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kind of hoping they would have had a teenage and adult cyclops duo series. I thought that would have been cool. Like maybe they team up or they do it like hawkeye handles the two hawkeyes

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: oooooohhhhhh!!! I get it. You like Doop. So really if youre a fan its really no convincing you. You are right though I wont be buying Doop or the O5 Cyclops solo stuff. Imo there are far better characters currently in limbo that deserve to be put on a team and have a book. Unlike some people I dont drink up everything Marvel is doing. I dont always like the direction they are taking and tend to voice my opinion about it rather than agreeing with and trying to defend everything they do. Yet you seem to defend whatever they do when anyone raises an objection. If I have you pegged wrong on that I apologize. I jsut think solos are a waste and takeaway artist, writers, time and money that could be better used or better spent on making good quality product. Quantity doesnt always equality. At least thats been my experience.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it but it involves space so, idk I'm conflicted.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it but it involves space so, idk I'm conflicted.

I don't get it either. I'm not interested in Young Cyclops without the other O5, and I'm not interested in reliving Scott and Corsair's story since we've been there already.

But as a Cyclops fan, putting him in space away from mutant stuff no matter what else I think just seems silly.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's by his original creator so most likely they will.

BB

Yeah, Milligan seemed to imply the series would be tonally serious. I would be interested to see how it turns out.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Koays

I was kind of hoping they would have had a teenage and adult cyclops duo series. I thought that would have been cool. Like maybe they team up or they do it like hawkeye handles the two hawkeyes

THIS!!

It actually makes sense considering it's what All New X-Men was supposed to be about. Old Cyclops pragmatism vs Young Scott's optimism. Let them both see the world through each others visors.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@bigtewell said:

THIS!!

It actually makes sense considering it's what All New X-Men was supposed to be about. Old Cyclops pragmatism vs Young Scott's optimism. Let them both see the world through each others visors.

That would be awesome but i guess marvel is milking this anxm o5 drama for all its work. It would eventually lead there but it will take time

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@bigtewell said:

THIS!!

That would be awesome but i guess marvel is milking this anxm o5 drama for all its work. It would eventually lead there but it will take time

I thought that would've made for a good issue, or story arc. We get to see each O5 character spend a day with their future self (Jean with Rachel visiting the Grey family graves). Now with Young Scott heading for space who knows when the past X-Men story will ever be resolved

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@koays said:

@bigtewell said:

THIS!!

I thought that would've made for a good issue, or story arc. We get to see each O5 character spend a day with their future self (Jean with Rachel visiting the Grey family graves). Now with Young Scott heading for space who knows when the past X-Men story will ever be resolved

Yeah well as soon as anxm become less popluar they will rush those stories to get them out of the 616. Also maybe Jean Grey gets to say well bye to everyone because it might be the last time they get to see her, like ever. Besides they already had a teen jean freak out/running away from her frineds in BotA and no one wants to remember that horrible arc

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: oooooohhhhhh!!! I get it.

1. You like Doop. So really if youre a fan its really no convincing you.
    2. You are right though I wont be buying Doop or the O5 Cyclops solo stuff. Imo there are far better characters currently in limbo that deserve to be put on a team and have a book.
    3. Unlike some people I dont drink up everything Marvel is doing. I dont always like the direction they are taking and tend to voice my opinion about it rather than agreeing with and trying to defend everything they do. Yet you seem to defend whatever they do when anyone raises an objection. If I have you pegged wrong on that I apologize.
    4. I jsut think solos are a waste and takeaway artist, writers, time and money that could be better used or better spent on making good quality product. Quantity doesnt always equality. At least thats been my experience.

1. I do like Doop, but that isn't my point. And no, you can't convince me that a story that neither of us has read isn't worth telling. That's not being critical, that's just being prejudiced.

2. If you don't like Doop, then you don't and that's your prerogative. I don't have any interest in, say, Cable, but I don't complain when he gets his own book just because I don't care about him. Like Doop is for you, I don't really like it when Cable's on the X-men, but him having his own book? why would I care? By your rational, Peter Milligan shouldn't get to write a story about his character, for fans of that character, because you'd rather read something else? See how that's kind of entitled sounding?

3. Apology accepted. I can see how it comes off that way. Personally, I think I'm pretty critical of most of what I read; and I certainly don't defend books that I think are bad -or good- against genuine criticism. But, even if I don't like something, I'm still inclined to point out when a criticism is arbitrary rather than actually critical, because actual criticism is constructive where arbitrary criticism is arbitrary. You saying that Doop doesn't deserve his own book is arbitrary because it's only based on your dislike of the character, and not based on having actually read the book; it speaks only of your own personal taste and doesn't speak about the thing you're criticizing itself. That's why I don't critique books I haven't read, because, really, I can't.

4. I'm really not as much of a fan of solo comics as I am of ensemble casts either. I don't read Wolverine's books because he interests me more with the X-men and I'd rather support that. Same with Cap' and the Avengers. Then again, even though I like Hawkeye with the Avengers, I still read their book because it's really good.

In the case of Doop, to me he's part of Milligan's X-force/X-statics team, but was far more compelling in his own stories than that group of characters was as a whole, so it makes sense to me that he would survive that series to go on to have his own.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Like I said: To each his own. Different people have different taste and that's fine.Its just interesting to me what some people enjoy. But its what makes the world go around.

The inclusion of characters like Doop in the X-books is what Im referring to. If that character is off doing his own thing totally unrelated to the Xmen and not showing up in the books, then I concede your point. It's just another book that can be ignored on the shelf, and God knows there are plenty of those. But seriously, being objective you could probably see how an announcement about the young Cyclops getting a solo and Doop getting a solo, while other characters are not being used in books or given their own team books, could be a bit aggravating for someone who's a fan of teams and other characters. I guess it just stings a bit to walk into the comic store and see stuff like that, when you dont see Generation X or New Mutants or New Xmen on the shelf.

As far as criticism, by your rationale every idea should be just put out there and allowed to run its course. I feel that some ideas should be left on the cutting room floor so-to-speak. So I dont see the criticism as arbitrary but rather valid when attacking a concept or an idea. But once again we just have a different opinion of what criticism is, and again thats fine. Some things dont need to be constructively criticized since that would denote a feeling that there's a way to improve on said concept or idea. This is not the case if some things just need to be torn down and scrapped.

It just irritates me that money and creative resources are being spent on solo's period, whether it be Doop, Cyclops or Wolverine or anyone else. Even as much as I'm interested in Magneto's new story. I still feel that it would be that much better if it was taking places within the pages or confines of the book and team he is or was suppose to be on, Uncanny Xmen. Imagine him off doing his detective work and killing behind the team's back. That would offer another dynamic to be explored within the team. Or given the statements regarding his mission, he would fit right in with an Xforce team. Solo's just seem redundant to me and offer more opportunity for contradictions and convultion while not contributing to overall cohesive and coherent storytelling. It's kind of a too many hands in the cookie jar type thing. To me Xmen (plural) should be what the name says, about a group or team of people. To see resources spent on solo's when you could incorporate the stories into the team books and either produce more team books per month (example: Uncanny every 2 weeks instead of once a month) or make the issues longer than just 18-20 pages (because really that's all we get), just seems ridiculous. Say for instance you took the Wolverine book and told those stories in the WATX books,or Amazing Xmen, Xmen, or Astonishing or whatever main book he's in, then just made those books bigger (40-50 pages) or produced them more than once a month, by that rationale the same people would buy the books. Being that you are producing more, you are still making money from the company standpoint and then from the fan standpoint, that $4 feels better spent the story gets told with less convolution and you still get to see your favorite character featured. All basis covered.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Like I said: To each his own. Different people have different taste and that's fine.Its just interesting to me what some people enjoy. But its what makes the world go around.

The inclusion of characters like Doop in the X-books is what Im referring to. If that character is off doing his own thing totally unrelated to the Xmen and not showing up in the books, then I concede your point. It's just another book that can be ignored on the shelf, and God knows there are plenty of those. But seriously, being objective you could probably see how an announcement about the young Cyclops getting a solo and Doop getting a solo, while other characters are not being used in books or given their own team books, could be a bit aggravating for someone who's a fan of teams and other characters. I guess it just stings a bit to walk into the comic store and see stuff like that, when you dont see Generation X or New Mutants or New Xmen on the shelf.

hey, I get that. No one wants to see the New Mutants get their own book again more than me (Gen'X and new X-men I can excuse, since at least Wood is making a point to use most of my favorites from those books/teams in X-men), but that doesn't mean that I think Milligan shouldn't get to do a Doop book, they're just two different things.

As far as criticism, by your rationale every idea should be just put out there and allowed to run its course. I feel that some ideas should be left on the cutting room floor so-to-speak. So I dont see the criticism as arbitrary but rather valid when attacking a concept or an idea. But once again we just have a different opinion of what criticism is, and again thats fine. Some things dont need to be constructively criticized since that would denote a feeling that there's a way to improve on said concept or idea. This is not the case if some things just need to be torn down and scrapped.

It just irritates me that money and creative resources are being spent on solo's period, whether it be Doop, Cyclops or Wolverine or anyone else.

Well, just because you don't see how your criticism is arbitrary doesn't mean that it isn't. You don't see the merit in Doop as a character, and that's your prerogative, but it can't be a genuine criticism of Doop's stories if you haven't read them. Some characters may seem to be uninteresting or without merit, but in the hands of the right creator can become interesting in the context of a good story.

Many of the characters from Peter David's X-Factor were like this for me, just characters I didn't care for one way or the other, and some I didn't even see the point of; but then the book was great and it made me like them. So saying that some ideas just don't deserve a chance is ultimately just restricting the creative process, and again, that's not criticism, it's prejudice.

Even as much as I'm interested in Magneto's new story. I still feel that it would be that much better if it was taking places within the pages or confines of the book and team he is or was suppose to be on, Uncanny Xmen. Imagine him off doing his detective work and killing behind the team's back. That would offer another dynamic to be explored within the team. Or given the statements regarding his mission, he would fit right in with an Xforce team. Solo's just seem redundant to me and offer more opportunity for contradictions and convultion while not contributing to overall cohesive and coherent storytelling. It's kind of a too many hands in the cookie jar type thing. To me Xmen (plural) should be what the name says, about a group or team of people. To see resources spent on solo's when you could incorporate the stories into the team books and either produce more team books per month (example: Uncanny every 2 weeks instead of once a month) or make the issues longer than just 18-20 pages (because really that's all we get), just seems ridiculous. Say for instance you took the Wolverine book and told those stories in the WATX books,or Amazing Xmen, Xmen, or Astonishing or whatever main book he's in, then just made those books bigger (40-50 pages) or produced them more than once a month, by that rationale the same people would buy the books. Being that you are producing more, you are still making money from the company standpoint and then from the fan standpoint, that $4 feels better spent the story gets told with less convolution and you still get to see your favorite character featured. All basis covered.

I actually agree with all of this, especially as it pertains to characters like Cyclops or Magneto who are and should be so central to the X-men's stories. The X-men are meant to be an ensemble cast (even when some characters go off to do their own thing), and to me that has always been one of the strengths of the concept. It's part of why I can enjoy X-men comics from almost any era, regardless of who's on what team, because it's the relationships between the characters and their stories that makes any of them especially interesting individually.

The problem, for me, comes when a creator wants to do something outside of that framework. It could be the best thing to ever happen to the character, or it could be a completely superfluous story thread that I would resent having to pay for to read a book I'm already enjoying; and there's no way to really tell if a story will be worth your while without reading it. There just isn't.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: While I can agree with most of what you said, I guess we have to agree to disagree on the criticisms, because were basically getting into the realm of playing with words. Its good to know that you arent a blind fan that can shoveled s**t and yet believe its sugar because they say so. If more fans had an opinion perhaps things would get better and we could have more fun discussions about whats happening. Equally glad to hear someone still roots for the New Mutants and other established characters as well. By the way I loved what Wood did in the most recent installment of Xmen

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By lorex

It seems easier to use younger Scott because there is less baggage here but older Scott really need Marvel to get behind him and sign the spotlight on him and give him some good treatment. I know older Scott has been the main character in the X-Men for years but I think he needs Marvel to get behind a solo series.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: While I can agree with most of what you said, I guess we have to agree to disagree on the criticisms, because were basically getting into the realm of playing with words. Its good to know that you arent a blind fan that can shoveled s**t and yet believe its sugar because they say so. If more fans had an opinion perhaps things would get better and we could have more fun discussions about whats happening. Equally glad to hear someone still roots for the New Mutants and other established characters as well. By the way I loved what Wood did in the most recent installment of Xmen

yeah, Wood seems to be trying to take advantage of how many under-used characters are around, and it's giving his book a really distinct feel from the other groups. Between Storm's team and the New X-men, his cast is shaping up to be one of the most interesting of all of the books, for me.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: do you think that this will be mainstay in Wood's series or just a one time deal?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AweSam

Me after reading the title...

No Caption Provided

Me after reading the first line...

No Caption Provided
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: do you think that this will be mainstay in Wood's series or just a one time deal?

considering that he introduced the subplot with Bling from the first issue, and has included her, Mercury, Pixie, and Hellion this far, as well as Armor, Oya, and Quire who are all set to be more main characters in the next WatX-men, and now Rockslide, it looks like he's trying to develop that group as a faction in themselves, which at least seems promising.

Though, with the cast he's already got on Storm's team, he's already got lots to work with, so this could just be a bit of fan service; it could just be wishful thinking. But I'm hoping he can find a way to work the two teams together in the one book more like what we're seeing with Uncanny'. There could be a balance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.