Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Missing the Academy X Members

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 59

Seriously, I liked those characters especially as a team and so many of them are just in the wind. It was nice seeing Prodigy in Young Avengers, but it sucks that Rockslide and Hellion are stuck as background Heckle and Jeckle characters in Wolverine and the X-Men. I know Anole is apparently running the Worthington Company, but where is Surge? Dust? Elixir? Gentle? Mercury? Did something happen to them that I missed? Are they maybe appearing in books I'm just not buying right now?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Welcome to the club.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Seriously, I liked those characters especially as a team and so many of them are just in the wind. It was nice seeing Prodigy in Young Avengers, but it sucks that Rockslide and Hellion are stuck as background Heckle and Jeckle characters in Wolverine and the X-Men. I know Anole is apparently running the Worthington Company, but where is Surge? Dust? Elixir? Gentle? Mercury? Did something happen to them that I missed? Are they maybe appearing in books I'm just not buying right now?

have you read the new volume of Wolverine & the X-Men by Latour? it's actually pretty good.

I know a lot of the New X-men are out of the picture at the moment, but I feel like characters like Surge and Elixir will most likely be back once their presence in the current landscape has more chance of having an impact. But I think Rockslide, Hellion, Mercury, and Pixie (along with Quire, Cypher, Armor, and Bling) are all on Jubilee's squad in Wood's X-Men, so at least we know the team's still active in some capacity.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wood's X-Men has actually used everyone of the New X-Men in some way or another.

Surge and Dust got shout outs when Psylocke was running through the JGS in her underwear so we know their at least on the campus.
    Prodigy was in the Young Avengers up until December.

The only ones truly missing are Elixir and maybe Gentle, but Gentle is often forgotten.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It's a real shame. So many characters are missing (they fail to even receive an off-hand comment from the X-Books despite the purported variety that we've got nowadays. And the characters we do see are being subject to lackluster and inconsequential stories 'cause the current crop of writers (Wood, Bendis and formerly Aaron) are kind of boring, doing f all, and don't really know about the incredibly rich history behind the characters they're handling and that of the sand-box they're (thankfully only temporarily) playing in.

Why? I suppose we'll never truly know.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a real shame. So many characters are missing (they fail to even receive an off-hand comment from the X-Books despite the purported variety that we've got nowadays. And the characters we do see are being subject to lackluster and inconsequential stories 'cause the current crop of writers (Wood, Bendis and formerly Aaron) are kind of boring, doing f all, and don't really know about the incredibly rich history behind the characters they're handling and that of the sand-box they're (thankfully only temporarily) playing in.

Why? I suppose we'll never truly know.

I know why :v

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I miss Wind Dancer.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how K/Y managed to depower/kill off only the characters I was careless about, while a depowered Prodigy has become even more interesting and symbolic as a human who was still highly into mutant agenda. I don't really know what happened to him since then.

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@adamtrmm: Wallflower was the best... Couldn't believe they killed her off! :'(

I'm still hoping to see a New Mutants book come out with the Academy X characters. I think its weird that Anole's running Worthington Company, and in the new WaTX book it said a bunch of characters graduated... That being said I'd like to see a book come out about the graduating students in a new New Mutants volume. Would be a cool concept I think. Just no cross-overs with the O5 or Avengers please!

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illyanarasputin:

I think the previous to them duo of writers had plans for her and her father, yet HOM changed everything, and K/Y made us really feel what being Endangered Species actually meant, with not just depowerments but the deaths and defenselessness, and it wasn't meaningless like the circus Fraction turned Nightcrawler's death and funeral into. Her, and pretty much everyone else's assassinations had heaviest impacts on the whole cast and our feelings. It's made Elixir turn into one of the potentially interesting characters, for me it was good enough.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So much more could be done with these members but yet we get Bendis' new creations and Aaron's focus still alive in the writing of Latour and his rehashing yet again of a Phoenix story.

You would think that with as many people calling for the New Xmen on different boards Marvel might see that and be interested but excuses are continually made. First of all the Academy X students really should be too damn old to be in school. LOL at Quire just now graduating, what is he like 22 or 23 now. Elixir has the potential to be a Magneto-esque type character. There's really no reason why Surge would be over at the Jean Grey school instead of with Scott, Emma and Magik with whom she had a rapport and much more interaction. PLus Surge should be in her 20's now. Someone mentioned Hellion and Rockslide playing Heckle and Jeckle to Quire's shenanigan's and I agree. Mercury and Dust should likewise be with Scott as well as Pixie. I could see X-23 in either place but aside from her stint in Avengers Academy her friends seem to be Mercury and Dust more so. I dont get Anole running Worthington Industries. It's really just foolishness and bad writing. And we are still being subjugated to it

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@hawk2916: I think its hilarious that Quire's 22 and he's dating a 15 year old... Haha. So f**kd up.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HAWK2916
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

You would think that with as many people calling for the New Xmen on different boards Marvel might see that and be interested but excuses are continually made. First of all the Academy X students really should be too damn old to be in school. LOL at Quire just now graduating, what is he like 22 or 23 now.

I'm not sure, but if we assume that Quire was, say, 16 when he incited his infamous riot, he should probably only be like 20 now; and if we take into account that he spent most of the time between then and now in a coma, it still kind of makes sense that he's just graduating now.

And, by that rational, since, other than Dust, most of the New X-men should be at least a year or two younger than Quire, it doesn't seem that weird that they'd still be seniors in high school.

Elixir has the potential to be a Magneto-esque type character. There's really no reason why Surge would be over at the Jean Grey school instead of with Scott, Emma and Magik with whom she had a rapport and much more interaction. PLus Surge should be in her 20's now. Someone mentioned Hellion and Rockslide playing Heckle and Jeckle to Quire's shenanigan's and I agree. Mercury and Dust should likewise be with Scott as well as Pixie.

Surge is one of the few characters I think would make more sense at Cyclops' school, and, like the Cuckoos, was only there because of him and the others being in jail. The only reason I can think of that she would have stayed when the Cuckoos left was that all of her friends are at the school and maybe she feels a responsibility to them. Mercury and Dust don't really strike me as though they'd be on Cyclops' side more than the other X-men, but they also seem like they should be graduated to another team.

Maybe it's because Pixie's supposed to be one of the youngest in her class, but I could really see her going with Surge or staying at the school; her being on Cyclops' team just seems like a stretch, though.

As for Hellion and Rockslide, though their characters have been simplified lately, it's not as if they weren't largely used for comic relief in the past, so it's not crazy out-of-character; they're kind of like the Iceman and Angel of their generation, no matter how much depth their given, it never seems surprising to have them act kind of immature. If Surge left the school to start her own team, I think they'd go, but not if she went with Cyclops; if that's not happening I'd rather they actually just replaced Iceman and Angel on the actual X-men.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HAWK2916

@oldnightcrawler: Hmmmm. I never really looked at Hellion in that way. Rockslide yeah but Hellion ive always looked at differently, so I cant agree with you on that. That said I'd be all for Hellion joining Storms team. Ive also wanted to see X23 interact with Storm. You would seriously replace Iceman though? Angel Ive never cared about except when he's Archangel but Iceman is pretty badass though he never seems to be written right or given credit or something, i dont know cant figure that one out but there always seems to be something missing with him.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler:

I think the whole idea of Cuckoos joining with Scott because of Emma is really Bendis' bad researches consequence. Remember, it was always said, they were more loyal to Scott and had something against Emma. But who cares, you can differentiate them now.

And don't you find Hellion a pretty messed up character this days? From how X rejected him, to the whole "outcast" among friends, after the "Omega Sentinel incident".. oh and his forearms.. Respecting continuity will be the hardest part in succeeding with such relaunch, because it's just the tip of the iceberg.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Hmmmm. I never really looked at Hellion in that way. Rockslide yeah but Hellion ive always looked at differently, so I cant agree with you on that. That said I'd be all for Hellion joining Storms team. Ive also wanted to see X23 interact with Storm. You would seriously replace Iceman though? Angel Ive never cared about except when he's Archangel but Iceman is pretty badass though he never seems to be written right or given credit or something, i dont know cant figure that one out but there always seems to be something missing with him.

I like Iceman, I'm just saying he's kind of redundant on a team with Rockslide. They aren't the same, but they both have that powerful, immortal elemental thing that could be super-bad-ass if it weren't for how immature they are; they just sort of fill the same role in a group. And while Hellion's more of a central character to the group than Angel is to the classic X-men, he's still the cocky rich kid turned bitter amputee, and his relationship to Rockslide especially reminds me of Angel's friendship with Iceman. I just think either pair would be redundant on a group with the other.

@adamtrmm said:

And don't you find Hellion a pretty messed up character this days? From how X rejected him, to the whole "outcast" among friends, after the "Omega Sentinel incident".. oh and his forearms.. Respecting continuity will be the hardest part in succeeding with such relaunch, because it's just the tip of the iceberg.

like I say, his character seems to be used on a more simplified, surface level these days; but I haven't found him to be out of character so much as just not the main character at the moment.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surge is one of the few characters I think would make more sense at Cyclops' school, and, like the Cuckoos, was only there because of him and the others being in jail. The only reason I can think of that she would have stayed when the Cuckoos left was that all of her friends are at the school and maybe she feels a responsibility to them. Mercury and Dust don't really strike me as though they'd be on Cyclops' side more than the other X-men, but they also seem like they should be graduated to another team.

Maybe it's because Pixie's supposed to be one of the youngest in her class, but I could really see her going with Surge or staying at the school; her being on Cyclops' team just seems like a stretch, though.

As for Hellion and Rockslide, though their characters have been simplified lately, it's not as if they weren't largely used for comic relief in the past, so it's not crazy out-of-character; they're kind of like the Iceman and Angel of their generation, no matter how much depth their given, it never seems surprising to have them act kind of immature. If Surge left the school to start her own team, I think they'd go, but not if she went with Cyclops; if that's not happening I'd rather they actually just replaced Iceman and Angel on the actual X-men.

All of this, but especially the Pixie and Surge part.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.