Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is Namor a good fit for the Xmen? Does he belong?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Namor a good fit for the Xmen? Does he belong? (24 votes)

Yes 33%
    No 67%

Just wanted to pose a simple question here about Namor. It seemed pretty cool the way he was brought in with the Xmen. But really it just seems like Namor kind of fits everywhere in the Marvel U. I mean FF, Avengers, Defenders, Invaders, Xmen hell I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next possible match for Medusa or Crystal of the Inhumans. A lot of tines I see people putting Namor on their dream xmen rosters and teams or wishing for his inclusion in certain X-books. So I guess my question can be somewhat two-fold: Where you satisfied, intrigued or at least happy with his past inclusion in the Xmen? And is that where he belongs- with the mutants?

• 
    kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Namor belongs everywhere

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I'd like to see him become an exclusive member

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the X-men are a family. Namor is too big an ass to be with them. He worked well as a Defender because they were the "Non-Team" team. Depending on the line up he can work with Avengers, cause when your running with gods and cosmic powered beings being Prince of Atlantis isn't really such a big deal.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamTRMM

Namor is an ass, and so are the majority of Marvel's pantheon, unlike him they're just in denial.

Now I kinda even hope Namor to be Bunn's secret character for UXM which I didn't consider in the past. That might be marvelous considering Squadron Supreme are after him, that might bring some explosive dynamics. Although Namor's days as an X-gene positive mutie might be numbered, one might still hope.

Ha!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I thought Namor was a good fit for the Utopia era where the X-men were a political faction and his alliance with them was mutually beneficial. He is one of my all-time favorite marvel characters, so having a plausible reason for them to be allies was a lot of fun.

Does he fit with the X-men in a general sense? Well, what are the X-men? They're a school, they're a superhero team that fights for mutant rights, and sometimes they're just a bunch of mutant outlaws fighting the good fight; those are primarily the only three premises that make the X-men the X-men (albeit with some overlap and variation).

So, does Namor really fit with any of those? I mean, he's got no real reason to hang out at a school, so there's that; he doesn't seem to identify as a mutant the way other mutants do, and it seems a bit out of character for him to hold a strong allegiance to any faction for longer than suits his own needs, so.. I guess not particularly?

But, like say, that's in a general sense, and he has worked well with them before, so to my mind it really depends on the premise and story as to whether you can plausibly justify him being with them. If someone can though, oh boy, because Namor's friggin' great.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Seems like Namor would be a great fit for something like Uncanny Avengers. I know he's not necessarily about Unity but if there was some amalgam of the Illuminati idea coupled with Unity squad thing he might fit at least in a say what needs to said and do what others won't do anti-hero role

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: I could picture that, I guess, but I have a hard time picturing his motivation for wanting to be on that kind of team.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HAWK2916

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah. I was thinking really just to make sure Atlantis is represented and that Atlantis reaps any rewards or benefits. Also wanting to be in the know as to whats going on as far as threats, maybe even manipulating things to suit his and Atlantis' interest. But I guess he could just as soon send Namorita to join the team and work as his agent or even Loa

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I always preferred him working with the Avengers.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I think you would have to eliminate Atlantis to make him fit full time, maybe a group of Anti Mutant people or Sentinels or something destroy most of Atlantis after namor? Give him more of a revenge plot to side with the X men, make them into his new family his new nation, but yea its hard to see him doing anything that doesnt help him lol

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no he just wanted to be with emma and when that didnt happened he left.....hes not really stable and i dont like him.....he looks like a vampire

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@oldnightcrawler: I think you would have to eliminate Atlantis to make him fit full time, maybe a group of Anti Mutant people or Sentinels or something destroy most of Atlantis after namor? Give him more of a revenge plot to side with the X men, make them into his new family his new nation, but yea its hard to see him doing anything that doesnt help him lol

well, help him or help his people -I do think he's dedicated to that.

He is a hero, after all, he has a sense of honor and of duty; it's just that his main duty is to Atlantis, and whatever he champions sort of needs to be in service of that to make sense with his character. Like you say, there are ways of doing that that could put him with the X-men, or put them on the same side of a thing, but as long as there's Atlanteans that kinda has to be his motivation.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give Magneto a nation again, Utopia or Genosha or whatever and just let him be 'allied' and join the team! problem solved now make it happen

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Koays

no he just wanted to be with emma and when that didnt happened he left.....hes not really stable and i dont like him.....he looks like a vampire

LMFAO... I swear i had something to contribute to this before i read this....now i feel like everything important has been said.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes. I like the fact that he is a part of every faction in the Marvel universe as he was one of Marvel's first characters, and his arrogance could be a good source of conflict for the X-books

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Eh, I don't think he should be. Namor's inclusion in the X-Men always struck me as a bit odd if not opportunistic and his story fits well in the Atlantean/FF/Avengers mythology than the X-Men one.

He fits in better with a school of fish rather than a school of mutants so glad he's off doing other things now.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor is a good association of the X-Men and i like him being a mutant, but he seems to op to be a team member.

OP compared to what? lol Jean Grey? Nate Grey? Storm? Magneto? yea i think hes just right in the middle when it comes to power compared to X men lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.