Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

in a fight, who would nature obey?

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By darthphoenix

Poll in a fight, who would nature obey? (23 votes)

storm 65%
    meggan 35%

you think storm can take on meggan? who would nature or the elements follow?

Many are familiar with what storm can do, here is meggan's powerset

Meggan is an extremely powerful mutant. She is an empath, elemental, and shapeshifter. These combination of these powers give Meggan a myriad of powers. Given elemental powers she can control the 4 basic elements: Air, Fire, Earth, and Water. Meggan can be called an elemental empath, elemental shapeshifter, or an empathic shapeshifter.

Meggan is an empath, which allows her to feel the emotions of others. She has been shown to feel the emotions of people, animals, and plants. She can also influence others' emotions. She can see psychic, natural and magical auras. This gives her the ability to track someone down by their aura.

Being an empathic elemental she can connect to the earth and the four elements. Meggan can control nature with her elemental powers and, being an empath, she has great control over this. The environment acts upon Meggan's emotions. If she is mad, volcanoes will erupt or a storm will come. She can stop a forest fire without even trying. She can split lakes in half with a wave of her hand. Meggan can also affect the magnetic fields around herself. She can increase mutants with elemental powers. She can also affect man-made things; for instance, when she needed to get to a lower level in a building she talked to the atoms to make a hole and sealed it back up as if nothing ever happened. She can use her focus her elemental powers into an energy blast. When Meggan was attacked by Baba Yaga, she manipulated the magical energy and used it against her

Meggan is also a shapeshifter. She can become anything living. She can grow in size or mass. She has been shown to even become creatures in legends. When Meggan was an infant she was a furry baby. This happened because she was cold and, thus, her body adapted. When Meggan shape shifts she gets the special power of whatever being she is impersonating. She once took the shape of a dragon-like being and she gained the power of fire breathing. Once she became a werewolf and had the werewolf's heightened sense and agility. She also grew into a humanoid bunny when she needed to track someone down. She gained the bunny's agility and jumping skills. Meggan can also shape shift into humans. Depending on her mood she shape shifts into whatever her mood reflects. If she feels loved by everyone she shape shifts into a beautiful woman. If she feels hated she will reflect that hatred. She has been shown to mimic creatures that are around her; such as when she took on an appearance similar to Nightcrawler when she was around him. With her elemental powers she has been shown to alter her appearance due to the weather; such as grow gills and fins when underwater, and grow fur when cold. She can increase her muscles to become stronger. She has even been able to beat Captain Britain very easily. When Galactus was taking the life force of Earth, Meggan got mad. She grew to Galactus's size and the bigger she got the more the environment was being destroyed. Being an empathic shapeshifter she can mimic the powers of others. She has mimicked the powers of Dazzler, Rogue, Colossus, Longshot, Storm, Wolverine, Havok, Nightcrawler, and even Silver Surfer. Being an elemental shapeshifter, she can turn into the elements. Thus far, she has only been shown to turn into sand and water.

• 
    Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Roddy010

Very tough call but I may have to give Meggan the slight edge due to her force empathic abilities (i.e she can literally make the elements feel actual emotion) as opposed to Storm whose emotions are reflected by weather. However as far as their connection to the EM systems of the planet, I would say they were about even. Both their powers adapt to whatever environment they are in. Both can perceive the world as energy as opposed to solid matter as well as are subconsciously attune to their environment. Their powers sets are pretty similar just in diferent applications. But comparing the two is an apple to orange situation.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure of the extent of meggan's powers, she once absorbed great volumes of mystic energies and used it with ease. most of the time she'd use her powers to morph into an animal like creature, i havent seen her creativity in the use of her powers unlike how storm use her powers

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
    ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From that info given it seems their connection to nature is pretty much the same, if it came down to willpower then Storm.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think elemental forces would obey both. In the normal Marvel universe, the elements have no consciousness, so if Crystal were to fight Storm with wind-powered attacks, it wouldn't come down to either element not manifesting for a particular heroine, but each character's willpower, overall power level, and training. However, if we were to factor in the mystic side of the Marvel universe, then I could see an element not obeying a superhuman mutant because of mystic energy - we've seen Thor and Enchantress both counteract the forces Storm could summon, most likely because magic energy tends to trump the type of psionic energy Storm uses to manipulate the weather...Thor especially embodies the elements he controls, which is very different from being an elemental manipulator like Storm or Crystal.

I think Storm has the stronger willpower and overall toughness in this fight. Even though Meggan has a mystical connection, I don't think it is on the order of Thor or Enchantress at the height of their powers, and I think Storm should be able to take the battle overall because I think a hurricane force wind from her would trump Meggan's attempt to connect with the wind and dispel it.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

However, if we were to factor in the mystic side of the Marvel universe, then I could see an element not obeying a superhuman mutant because of mystic energy - we've seen Thor and Enchantress both counteract the forces Storm could summon, most likely because magic energy tends to trump the type of psionic energy Storm uses to manipulate the weather...Thor especially embodies the elements he controls, which is very different from being an elemental manipulator like Storm or Crystal.

I wouldn't say magic energy trumps Storm's psionic control considering Storm has manipulated magic based elemental attacks as well. When she fought Thor, they were on equal terms. So much so that he had to find another way to defeat her. There also cases of her counter attacking magical elementals. In UXN #121, Shaman created a violent blizzard that Storm had to diffuse and even managed to double it's intensity and turn it back on him. Most recently she fought against Meruda, who was magically amped by the gods, and redirected his storm back at him. I believe it's mainly due to will power and focus as to who can seize the other's control.

As for "Thor emboding the elements he controls" the same has been stated time and again about Storm. Her commune with the elements is so intimate that she literally becomes the weather itself. This was first shown in UXN #147 when she ascended to her elemental form.

The same can be said for Meggan, since she too can encompass and embodies any planet/dimension's energy she is present in.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@roddy2010: I think it depends.

• Resolving that question depends on the power level of the opponent - I can easily by Dr. Strange at his height easily trumping or neutralizing anything Storm or Meggan put out, while an Asgardian weather fairy might not fare so well against either. I was thinking of precisely that panel you showed, where Shaman (not in Dr. Strange's league, but with a very good level of magical potency) basically summoned weather forces using magic that basically exhausted Storm's manipulation to diffuse leaving her open for a OHKO.
    • In terms of embodiment, Storm is a superhuman mutant who has weather powers, she doesn't embody the weather. Very different from a god or goddess whose lifeforce consists of those forces and whose control of them goes beyond manipulation. When I use the term, I am moreso discussing characters like Gaea, Oshtur, Thor, and etc. who are associated with nature and mystical forces to an extent that is unquestioned. It's arguable whether if she ascended to an elemental form could be the same thing, but that's not really the discussion here. The same can be said for Meggan - she can encompass and embody the environment she's in, but she's not a divine or elemental being.

Neither of these points are that major for me, though - I think that Storm should win here, unless Meggan got a huge mystic amp or they went to an environment that favored Meggan. I like Meggan quite a bit, so I'm not downplaying her here. Just hard to see her come out on top for a majority under standard conditions and taking into account their dispositions and fighting styles.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Roddy010

@phoenixofthetides: I see what you mean and can agree with a few of your points. You're right about circumstances playing a part considering the way Storm and Meggan's powers operate. Raw power and versatility should also be considered when making this comparison. In the case of Dr.Strange, he has more magical raw power allowing him access to multiple forms of energy to manipulate. So of coarse it will seem like her trumps them in every catergory. Think of the fight between Scarlet Witch and Thor, she explained how her magical forces allow her to manipulate all forms of energy. However if Strange/Scarlet were limited to just weather/elemental manipulation, there is nothing stopping either superhuman from counter/usurp control over said elements.

No Caption Provided

We'll have to agree to disagree on the embodiment part, though I will say there have been too many on panel reference to her "becoming the tempest" to say she doesn't embody the forces she manipulates. Asgardian's are not abstracts, but beings (aliens) from another dimension and don't necessarily personify all aspects of nature like say Eternity or Phoenix. They fall in the same category of "superhuman" as any other Mutant, External, Inhuman. As a matter of fact Buri, the first born of the Asgardian and Thor's great grandfather, was a humanoid. So in other words Thor and Enchantress are no more "divine" than any other elemental. Their power may come from a different source, however this doesn't mean their commune with nature is any more complex than Storm or Meggan.

As far as the thread topic though, I can agree that Storm would potentially win in a fight, due to having more offensive capabilties. Meggan's powers are usually generated by her emotional state, while Storm has more finesse/skill in working patterns on her own without relying on her subconscious to do the work for her.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meggans connection to nature goes far beyond weather and elemental manipulation and sometimes is low level reality warping. She has asked the molecules of her street clothes to rearrange themselves into her uniform as she is not a naked shapeshifter like Mystique so her shapeshifting has always included an ability to manipulate matter on at least the molecular level on a subconscious level. She has subconsciously asked the molecules in the ceiling to open make a hole for her and it did as well as automatically fix itself. She has tickled metal spikes with her mind and turned them into butterflies and turned the ground into quicksand. She can travel through dimensions, sense temporal anomalies and harness power from the Beyond which allowed her to halt the chaoswave. During Inferno she brought television monsters to life when she was overwhelmed by the evil becoming the goblin princess. So her empathic connection to nature runs far deeper than Storm's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm. The answer is always Storm.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think in terms of raw power, Meggan has the edge, but Storm is a leader and a fighter. She would put together a plan of attack where Meggan would rush in head first, so even though Meg has the chops, 'Ro's got her pegged.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.