Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

I'm calling it. Young Scott will die.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eeshaan1685

So what really happens when a rather hated character becomes heroic all of a sudden, in comincs ? He dies. And Jean is a pro at dying and resurrecting, so it won't be shocking at all.

What is gonna happen is, young Scott is gonna Martyr himself for Xavier's dream, and in doing so is gonna give current Scott the change-of-heart needed to get back to his old-school ways. The timeline will not change, the rest of the O5 will go back to an alternate timeline without Scott. Bendis himself said that there is gonna be a big price to pay for all the time-hijinks.

After all, Marvel now needs a death to rival Damian Wayne, and who better and more shocking to kill off than a young, heroic Scott Summers, eh ? Controversy = sales.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

TIME TRAVEL MAKES SENSE THREAD 2013

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Lol.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Veshark

So you're saying that when Young Scott dies...an alternate timeline is created with no Scott? So does that mean that they were from an alternate timeline in the first place, and that Young Scott isn't the young version of Current Scott? Or will Young Scott's death trigger a time paradox and make their own timeline into a separate one than the current timeline?

....ah f*ck it, I don't care. My head hurts too much. But if you do turn out to be right, I tip my hat off to you.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith

@Veshark said:

So you're saying that when Young Scott dies...an alternate timeline is created with no Scott? So does that mean that they were from an alternate timeline in the first place, and that Young Scott isn't the young version of Current Scott? Or will Young Scott's death trigger a time paradox and make their own timeline into a separate one than the current timeline?

To put it simply, when Hank yanked them out of their timeline, he created an alternate where in one, they stayed in the timeline, and events transpired as normal. This is the 616 universe. The timeline he created by removing them is now completely different, but no one notices since he brought the alternate timeline versions into the 616. So Young Scott dying shouldn't effect current Scott, since current Scott grew up (relatively speaking) normally and never met his future revolutionary self. Hank hoped that by returning them all at the exact moment they left, and having Charles wipe their minds when they returned, all would resume as normal, refusing the now altered timeline back into the 616 normality.

If young Scott were to die, the alternate timeline would continue to exist, even when they were returned.

... That wasn't simple at all.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Veshark

@JonSmith said:

@Veshark said:

To put it simply, when Hank yanked them out of their timeline, he created an alternate where in one, they stayed in the timeline, and events transpired as normal. This is the 616 universe. The timeline he created by removing them is now completely different, but no one notices since he brought the alternate timeline versions into the 616. So Young Scott dying shouldn't effect current Scott, since current Scott grew up (relatively speaking) normally and never met his future revolutionary self. Hank hoped that by returning them all at the exact moment they left, and having Charles wipe their minds when they returned, all would resume as normal, refusing the now altered timeline back into the 616 normality.

If young Scott were to die, the alternate timeline would continue to exist, even when they were returned.

... That wasn't simple at all.

Ah OK, that makes a lot more sense. An alternate timeline was created the moment that Beast chose to screw around with history...I can see Bendis pulling something like that.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tomchu

@Avenger85:

It would seem like an awful waste of a plot line, I was getting used to young Scott living in today's world.

It is true that death = more sales (look at ASM#700, Batman Inc #8), but then again, it also pisses off a lot of fans. Sadly, fans would still buy the book even if they flip a complete 180 in the book.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@tomchu: Yup, killing off heroic young boys before their time, is the fad in comics these days lol.

I would have loved to see Damian grow into an adult and inherit the mantle of the Bat from his dad. Just like I'd like young Scott to grow into the leader he was always meant to be, and return to his timeline and follow a whole new story from there, but sadly, in comics if something starts to look like it's too good to be true, then it really is. I mean, if Scott actually grew up and became the successful leader like he is supposed to, then how are we gonna get our dose of bleakness/tragedy ?

I sure am gonna be done with X-Men when it happens .

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tomchu

@Avenger85:

Hahahah, do I sense a bitterness due to Damian's death? I'm annoyed that I cannot complete GM's Batman Inc run (which was all I was going to collect) thanks to #8 being stupidly hard to find, but also that Damian was honestly starting to become a Robin I loved.

Fact is, one person that was unusually good at making characters grow up was Claremont. If Claremont had his way without editorial decisions, Cyclops would have retired in the 80s, and be married to Maddie Pryor, and Cannonball would most likely have led the X-Men, but alas! Characters never grow up in the comic medium, which is a double edged sword. Franklin Richards will forever be a child and never form Psi-Lord, but we'll never see Prof. X die of old age.

I honestly just want Batman #700 to happen. Ted McGinnis please exist in the New 52.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@tomchu: Well, Damian's death pissed me off because I found Damian to be more interesting than Batman, and now they are going to make a complete coward out of Batman, as all he is gonna do is mourn for 6 issues, then go back to busness WITHOUT avenging his 10 year old SON.

This was even worse for Bruce than the death of his parents IMHO, and he is still not gonna break his no-kill code for it. Which sucks lol.

BTW Maddie was Sinister's creation, and his own "time-bomb". So after having the son, at one point of time, he would still have come and kidnapped them both, and she would have become her evil self anyways, regardless of Scott being there or not. She was created for this very reason lol.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JakeN7

@Avenger85 said:

So what really happens when a rather hated character becomes heroic all of a sudden, in comincs ? He dies. And Jean is a pro at dying and resurrecting, so it won't be shocking at all.

What is gonna happen is, young Scott is gonna Martyr himself for Xavier's dream, and in doing so is gonna give current Scott the change-of-heart needed to get back to his old-school ways. The timeline will not change, the rest of the O5 will go back to an alternate timeline without Scott. Bendis himself said that there is gonna be a big price to pay for all the time-hijinks.

After all, Marvel now needs a death to rival Damian Wayne, and who better and more shocking to kill off than a young, heroic Scott Summers, eh ? Controversy = sales.

This seems very plausible. That was Beast's initial goal anyway....

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@JakeN7: I think that there is also the chance that young Hank may die, resulting in the current one seeing that and becoming a villain at one point ( Dark Beast ). But IMHO we have had enough kids/teenagers die in comics now. Would be better if all the O5 are alive when they return to their timeline.

Let's remember that this is Bendis, the guy who killed off Pete in Ultimate Spider Man. So anything might be possible. The O5 's timeline will need a leader like Scott or shit is gonna hit the fan again and we'll get another AOA-like scenario. Enough of the bleakness please.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tomchu

@Avenger85: Maddie Pryor's original function (according to some Claremont interview I read ages ago) was for Cyke to be married away to a girl who resembles Jean, and as you like to put it, "they lived happily ever after". Editors decided they could cash in on the O5 team, since none of them were operating in anything, but they had to get through the whole Jean Grey being dead issue. So they brought her back and made Cyke leave his wife. This made Cyke hated (much more than he is now) for not even being a decent human being. Claremont's solution? Make Maddie Pryor even worse than Cyke. This happened with Inferno, with a stupid retcon and Sinister (who is not a bad villain) pulling the strings.

My vote goes to Harper Row being the new Batman, or Stephanie Brown. A Batman must have a Robin right? Lets just hope Damian's death actually creates some character evolution with Batman (unlike Nightcrawler's death in Second Coming), just like Jason Todd's in Death in the Family.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@tomchu: Ah yes, you have a point there about Maddie.

Anyways, I am gonna be done with X-Men if they kill off young Scott lol.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PassionFlower

I can't see the duplicates surviving young Scott would make sense...

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@PassionFlower: Well they weren't gonna stay in the 616 timeline forever anyways, but I really, really hope that they all make it back to their time in one piece.

It would be a HUGE waste to build up young Scott like that and then kill him off. Beast should be the one to die, but let's see, hopefully no one dies lol.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By DH69

marvel has a huge crossover goin on ergo an death to rival damiens aint gonna happen but theres a garaunteed death waiting to happen

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Avenger85 said:

@PassionFlower: Well they weren't gonna stay in the 616 timeline forever anyways, but I really, really hope that they all make it back to their time in one piece.

It would be a HUGE waste to build up young Scott like that and then kill him off. Beast should be the one to die, but let's see, hopefully no one dies lol.

I heard it's gonna be another individual for real.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I long ago gave up pretending to figure out Marvel logic

Jarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jarface

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Same here. Thats why I always loved DC I guess.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By SUNMAN

As long as current Scott goes away

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RustyRoy

I really hope he doesn't die, he's my favorite marvel hero and my favorite DC character just died, that'd be too much for me.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By UltraBiel

@Jarface said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Same here. Thats why I always loved DC I guess.

Yeah. When things get too absurd even for comic book's they simply reboot the entire universe.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Backflip

This whole Doom-lock thing Beast put in place is just frankly retarded. If such tech exists, why can't Beast just go back and save all his friends, those friends that he wept for. That died. Why would is waste it to try with his infantile attempts at scorning one of his closest friends.

Anyway, I'm calling Angel. Sure Scott has no actual contribution, but Angel has kinda been set up as the fall guy.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@Backflip: lol man, Scott is gonna and does have a major contribution. He is the real leader of the X-Men, and is gonna set his current self right.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

I think he is going to kill current Cyclops.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By consolemaster001

@InnerVenom123 said:

TIME TRAVEL MAKES SENSE THREAD 2013

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.