Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Iceman gets an ongoing solo

• 76 results
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Here's hoping they retcon his random transition to the same sex. I'm not a homophobe, but that was awful

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hmm, I wonder why they picked Iceman?!

-___-

Marvel has their token LGBT book. Now they can pat themselves on the back.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HighAccuser

@sprior93: LOL. This is so true it hurts. Although I don't think Bobby is boring he's had good moments

Ice-Breaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ice-Breaker

The character I've wanted to get an ongoing for years finally has one (besides that one mini-series no one remembers).

I want to be exited for him but marvel has started a trend of pushing their diversity characters and while some work well like spider-man and ms. marvel others are very lazy.

Instead of a great book about iceman using his powers in cool ways and building a cool cast and story arc, I really hope It doesn't focus on his lazily retconned sexuality. It was such bad writing that didn't develop or put iceman anywhere he wasn't already before. we got 2 or 3 pages of "oh I was gay all along" and that's supposed to justify years of contradiction.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quit X-Men.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather read SIlver Surfer

And I don't like silver Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ice-breaker: Iceman being gay is the only reason he's getting a book. It will absolutely focus on his sexuality. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but current Marvel is too superficial and tacky to pull it off. We'll probably see Iceman eating some twink's face in the first issue and the muggles will praise it because of inclusivity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Its a mutual break up. Been coming for a while now. Marvel keeps coming between us.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember how Iceman's supposedly ALWAYS hidden sexuality was the reason for his inability to grow to his true potential, whatever the hell it means? Let's see how his potential is going to be realized now. Apologists will be like "but... but.... but.... we are so progressive!".

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Lol. Bendis run was garbage and in order to try and leave his mark he made Iceman gay. Now some idiots are clapping their hands and acting like this is some championing of diversity. It's a gimmick and a bad one at that. Bobby is not gay. They should have left it alone and he definitely doesn't need a solo. If they wanted to focus on LGBT then they should have pushed Karma or even (God forbid) NorthStar.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very obvious publicity stunt. Make Iceman gay, mention it like one time in over a year and then call him a prominent LGBT character. Right. I would've read this before the forced change of sexuality cause I knew it would've been more about Bobby, but now we all know this book will place his new and unwanted sexuality as a main focus, and I don't for it, mainly because it was never even an aspect of his character until it suddenly.... was.

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will probably be more interesting than the Cyclops and Storm series.

Which admittedly is a low hurdle to pass. We'll see.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which One?

The Young Iceman? I may be interested, yes :)

The Old "to much convulsed book history in the last 30 years have bored me" One? Uhmmm I think he may reamain on the shelf...

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think people should actually read the book before jumping to conclusions. At least the way I see it, Bobby is a far more interesting character than most of the legacy characters who are lugging around with their own solo titles right now.

The gay thing was done way back in 2012 and it has worked for Bobby pretty well imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@nerevarine_11: It was Jean Grey, she thought i dont have Gay Best Friend yet. I know i will change Iceman´s mind so he can my GBF and having a Gurl Night Out.

Avatar image for andriperdhian93
    AndriPerdhian93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh no

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I just can't seem to care about this at all.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jcg79 said:

It will probably be more interesting than the Cyclops and Storm series.

Which admittedly is a low hurdle to pass. We'll see.

Hahaha too true. I like Iceman so I am looking forward to this and will support it for the first few issues. I hope it is executed well.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What a waste of perfectly good trees.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be getting this

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Iceman being gay is the only reason he's getting a solo book. Without the token sexual preference change, this would never be happening.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Thank god Iceman came out as gay because otherwise he never would've got an ongoing.

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain: Yeah at this point the only reason Iceman's book would stay afloat is because Marvel would force it to be that way. The publicity of the book might make the first few issues sell well, but unless the writer and artists are amazing I can't see this holding up well.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarvelMan92

Honestly, I Was Afraid We Were Gonna Get An Ongoing On Ice Man After What Bendis Did But Now........You Know People Call Us Bigoted Idiots For Hating The New Ice Man But We're Not And That's Not The Reason. The Reason Is That The Character Just Suddenly Came Out Out Of Nowhere Without Any Hints Nor Even Build Up To This. It's Just A Cheap Stunt To Force Diversity Down Our Throats And Now Suddenly People Praise This Even To Bendis. Now I Know What Some Of You Guys Are Gonna Say. "But Bobby Has Always Been Gay! It's Always Been Hinted!" How? I've Read Every Hints You Gave Of Me For Ice Man And Nothing Has Indicated That He's Always Been Gay. Those Were Just Complete Misunderstandings Of His Mutant Heritage And His Immaturity And Reckless Even His Depression. He Acts Immature Because The Guy Sees Himself As Weak Which Is What Straight People Also Do. Now If You Guys Thought He Was Gay Then There Could've Been ALOT More Effort Into This After Years Of History. You Could've Given The Young Ice Man Hints Or Build Up Towards His Sexuality But Instead We've Gotten This. Infact, Someone Told Me That Someone Told Him In 4Chan That The Editor Disagreed With Bendis' Idea And wanted Bobby Bi Instead But Since Bendis Won That Fight......Yeah. I Just Hope Whoever Writes Ice Man writes The Adult One As Bi. The Young One? Eh, It'll Take A While Before He Realizes This.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Revive

Not interested.

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Yeah, also the previous All New X-Men issue was all about Bobby trying to get laid in some gay bar, for the entire issue. I read comics for superhero action not some teen reality show crap.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean grey has her solo too

devildog8774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made him gay, so maybe marvel is trying to appease the gay fans

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MarvelMan92

The Funny Thing Is If They Try To Make Him Revert Back Into His Heterosexuality People Would Claim This as Homophobia And A Hate Crime Which I Can Say That Nobody Not Even Gay Readers Would Have The Right To Think Nor Say That. Not After That Stunt Bendis Pulled. It'd Be A Crime To Make Characters Like Wiccan Straight Than Bobby.

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want the OG Bobby that was hitting on all the girls and immature. He was my favorite X-Man (aside from Gambit). In my eyes, this new Iceman isn't the Bobby I know. I was pretty upset about the change and hope that they retcon it again. Since Marvel would never do this, I don't think I'll be picking it up another X-Men comic until they get they act together.

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Scott's series got canned, why do they think this will work?

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Hope They Revert Both Versions Back As Straight Because There Are Loads Of Gay Or Bisexual Mutants You Could've Used And You Drastically Changed Bobby's. People Or At Least The SJW Or Other P.C. Groups Would Say That's Offensive But Then We Say HOW!?! WHY!?! Changing An Established Character's Sexuality Is Alot More Offensive As Changing A Gay Character's Sexuality! It's Pointless And Just Pandering. People Said There's Always Been Hints Where I Like To Say That Those Were Complete Misunderstanding Making You Think He Was Gay Because Most Straight People Have Been Through Those Kinds Of Relationship Probelms AS Bobby And We See The Reasons As To How And Why His Relationships Were Like This. They Were Also Like This Because Of Something His Loved Ones Did. And As For The Other Instances, Nothing Indicated That He Was Gay Or At Least Announced Some Things Related To That. He Was Just Immature And A Bit Reckless. As For His Insecurities, Many People Have That. It Doesn't Make Anyone Gay. Even The Most Confident Of People Have Their Fair Shares Of Insecurities. Bobby Has Problems With Him Being A Mutant. Bobby Has Problems With His Loved Ones And What Happened To Them. Bobby Has Trouble With His Family. Bobby Is Just An Insecure Guy And Just Uses Humor And Arrogance As A Defense Mechanism To Make Sure He's More Of A Man Than The Rest Of His Team. The X-Men May Have Some LGBT Characters But Their Purpose Was To Be What Blacks And Gays/Lesbians/Bisexual/Transgender People Are Like. They're Suppose To Be Symbolic And Those Instances For Characters Like Bobby Showcases This. If You Thought There Were Other Things That Shows He Has A Sexuality Problem Well At Least Do The Smart Choice Of Making Bobby Bisexual .With All Of The Stuff Showing Bobby's Deep Relationship With These Women And Showing Some Hints Of Interests Towards Them I Feel Like It's Not Only A One Big Lie But Just A Slap In The Face Of The Character, Fans Of THe Character, And Possibly An Embarressment To LGBT Readers. With All The Flack Bendis Gets On This Run This Was The Thing That Gave Him The Most Praiseworthy . Gambit And Rogue And Even Storm And Rachel Grey And Kitty Pryde And Even Hercules And Psylocke And Even Jessica Drew Were More LGBT Characters Than Bobby .

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: I would suggest using proper capitalization and punctuation - this post looks like a wall of text and is actually a bit hard to read :).

I don't think there are "loads" of gay or bisexual mutants. It would help if you provided a list, though, because I do not think the majority of the ones I am thinking of have as much history with the team as Bobby does and most are barely used. Some of the characters you listed, such as Hercules and Jessica Drew are not even mutants so they do not really strengthen your argument. Basically, if by loads of LGBT mutant characters you meant 6-7, that really doesn't help your point considering there are 7,000 Marvel characters, with a couple of hundred being mutants IMHO.

I am not heterosexual, so I have to admit that I do not really understand that argument that revealing that Bobby is gay is offensive to heterosexual readers. It's actually kind of offensive to me since I was about 27 before I came out and had dated multiple women before. Bobby has always been a favorite of mines but the reveal actually made him seem more relevant to me because I can understand the idea of staying in the closet to fit in.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: I would suggest using proper capitalization and punctuation - this post looks like a wall of text and is actually a bit hard to read :).

I don't think there are "loads" of gay or bisexual mutants. It would help if you provided a list, though, because I do not think the majority of the ones I am thinking of have as much history with the team as Bobby does and most are barely used. Some of the characters you listed, such as Hercules and Jessica Drew are not even mutants so they do not really strengthen your argument. Basically, if by loads of LGBT mutant characters you meant 6-7, that really doesn't help your point considering there are 7,000 Marvel characters, with a couple of hundred being mutants IMHO.

I am not heterosexual, so I have to admit that I do not really understand that argument that revealing that Bobby is gay is offensive to heterosexual readers. It's actually kind of offensive to me since I was about 27 before I came out and had dated multiple women before. Bobby has always been a favorite of mines but the reveal actually made him seem more relevant to me because I can understand the idea of staying in the closet to fit in.

Well There Are Other Mutants They Could've Used Instead Of Changing One Especially Since There Wasn't Any Hints Nor Foreshadows To His Reveal In The Exact Same Run Where He Has Been Outed. It's Not Just Him Being Outed That's The Problem It's How It Was Handled And The Lack Of Anything Leading To That. It's Just Forced Pandering And Changing An Established Character With Such A Unique(Excuse That Term) History And They Just Drastically Change Him Just Like That. And The Reason I Listed Those Two Non Mutant Character Is Because, Well, They Have Better Hints Of Being Gay or Bisexual Than Bobby With Their Behavior And One Of Them(Hercules) Being A Greek God. It's Offensive Changing A Big Name Character Just For Pandering. It's Like Making Cap Or Misty Knight Gay Or Even Luke Cage For That Matter. Would Those Really Be Neccessary Into Doing That ?

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: I did not mind the revelation because Bobby's behavior did indicate that he could be a closeted gay character. Personally, I do not think his history was all that unique so this makes him more relevant than he has been for years. Otherwise, he'd be yet another straight character. And he was not drastically changed - his personality is still the same, there have been no alterations with how his powers work, and his history is still relevant. I don't think sexual identity is that important or interesting but it is good to see a member of the original team become less "white bread" TBH.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: I did not mind the revelation because Bobby's behavior did indicate that he could be a closeted gay character. Personally, I do not think his history was all that unique so this makes him more relevant than he has been for years. Otherwise, he'd be yet another straight character. And he was not drastically changed - his personality is still the same, there have been no alterations with how his powers work, and his history is still relevant. I don't think sexual identity is that important or interesting but it is good to see a member of the original team become less "white bread" TBH.

You Know They Could Make A New Character Without Changing One. As For Bobby I Think His Character Was Drastically Changed Because Before That He Did Have His Own Characteristic And His Behaviour Was More Of That Of An Immature, Insecure , And Emotional Child Than That Of A Closeted Man. Bobby Has Always Been A Bit Childish And With His Insecurities It's Pretty Reassuring That It Was Because Of His Mutant Heritage And It Has Been Shown Time And Again That It's Like That. His Relationships With His Loved Ones Were Actually Pretty Important Seeing As How Much They Mean To Him And How Romantic He Was Towards Them. There Might Be Some Other Things That Could Change Him But Hopefully That Wouldn't Be The Case. Changing Him To Be A Gay Character Instead Of Bi Is Basically Just A Huge Mistep To His Character And The X-Men .

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By O-Face

@phoenixofthetides: How did his behavior indicate that? I'm pretty sure we have seen thought bubbles of him being attracted to women across the decades. That and I found it strange that his friends like Rogue who has absorbed his psyche and the other telepathy never confronted him about it.

I'm not bothered with Bobby being gay itself but rather that there was no attempt to fill in the gaps. As far as I know.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@o-face said:

@phoenixofthetides: How did his behavior indicate that? I'm pretty sure we have seen thought bubbles of him being attracted to women across the decades. That and I found it strange that his friends like Rogue who has absorbed his psyche and the other telepathy never confronted him about it.

I'm not bothered with Bobby being gay itself but rather that there was no attempt to fill in the gaps. As far as I know.

I'm not sure if you are gay or have talked to someone who is, but I definitely can tell you that I still get attracted to women and can think about them in a romantic sense - my thought bubbles before I came out would have been all over the place. It just would not be a completely satisfying relationship. TBH I tend to think that most of his friends had other things going on when they absorbed his mind or scanned him telepathically. I'm not sure if an adult would ever necessarily confront him over that - it made sense that Teen Jean would do that because teenagers do not have this sense of maturity but other adults might not be willing to intrude on another adult's privacy in that way.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides said:

You Know They Could Make A New Character Without Changing One. As For Bobby I Think His Character Was Drastically Changed Because Before That He Did Have His Own Characteristic And His Behaviour Was More Of That Of An Immature, Insecure , And Emotional Child Than That Of A Closeted Man. Bobby Has Always Been A Bit Childish And With His Insecurities It's Pretty Reassuring That It Was Because Of His Mutant Heritage And It Has Been Shown Time And Again That It's Like That. His Relationships With His Loved Ones Were Actually Pretty Important Seeing As How Much They Mean To Him And How Romantic He Was Towards Them. There Might Be Some Other Things That Could Change Him But Hopefully That Wouldn't Be The Case. Changing Him To Be A Gay Character Instead Of Bi Is Basically Just A Huge Mistep To His Character And The X-Men .

It is very difficult to make new characters and most of the new, gay characters have already faded into obscurity. Exploring another aspect of an established character brings new life to that character and also allows them to grow past decades of stagnation. We will have to agree to disagree but honestly, I was more annoyed with the execution than the idea of Bobby being gay.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kiba

@phoenixofthetides: "I'm not sure if you are gay or have talked to someone who is, but I definitely can tell you that I still get attracted to women and can think about them in a romantic sense"

Okay can you explain that then? If you are attracted to men AND women how do you consider yourself gay and not bisexual? I'm not trying to be an ass I'm genuinely looking to understand.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92 said:
    @phoenixofthetides said:

It is very difficult to make new characters and most of the new, gay characters have already faded into obscurity. Exploring another aspect of an established character brings new life to that character and also allows them to grow past decades of stagnation. We will have to agree to disagree but honestly, I was more annoyed with the execution than the idea of Bobby being gay.

It's Not Really Hard If You're Creative And Know And Understand How The People Work. Changing Established Characters Like Iceman Like This Is Just A Huge Mistep Into His Character. It Doesn't Grow Into His Character. It's Just Forced Pandering. It Would've Worked With The Other Characters I've Listed But Not Bobby. Maybe Him Being Bisexual Would But Not Gay. And As For The Other Gay Characters, They Could Bring Them Back And Use Them Again If They Need It And If It Works Out .

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@o-face said:

I'm not sure if you are gay or have talked to someone who is, but I definitely can tell you that I still get attracted to women and can think about them in a romantic sense - my thought bubbles before I came out would have been all over the place. It just would not be a completely satisfying relationship. TBH I tend to think that most of his friends had other things going on when they absorbed his mind or scanned him telepathically. I'm not sure if an adult would ever necessarily confront him over that - it made sense that Teen Jean would do that because teenagers do not have this sense of maturity but other adults might not be willing to intrude on another adult's privacy in that way.

I Think Them Finding Out That He Was Gay When Snooping Into His Mind Mostly By Accident Or That If They Have To Would Be A Big Surprise For Them Because They Could've Talked To Him About It Or At Least Give An Impression About It. As For Teen Jean Grey , The Two Of Them Have A Love Hate Relationship (Though I Believe That Bobby Always Had A Thing For Her) And Jean Got Really Sick Of His Attitude Towards Her She Just Made Him Think He Was Gay. Comics At Times Have Shown To Be Pretty Or Very Offensive .

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@phoenixofthetides: "I'm not sure if you are gay or have talked to someone who is, but I definitely can tell you that I still get attracted to women and can think about them in a romantic sense"

Okay can you explain that then? If you are attracted to men AND women how do you consider yourself gay and not bisexual? I'm not trying to be an ass I'm genuinely looking to understand.

Because to me, the difference is whether you can see yourself having a long term romantic and sexual relationship with the other person. A bisexual can do so with a man or woman while a gay man would always favor another man for long term companionship. It's like how a straight guy or girl can find a member of the same sex attractive and even sexy but the feelings do not progress when it comes to anything deeper than admiration.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm up for a gay superhero read! :)

I still want my Storm solo back.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still waiting on that Marvel Rebirth

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Hope It Reverts Iceman Being Straight Again . The Whole Outing Of Him Was Just Forced And Pandering.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind this pandering to my subgroup, though. Most straight guys take for granted how much comic book artists and writers pander to them via plot, storylines, gratuitous T&A, and etc., so it felt nice to get a recognizable and long time character on my team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.