Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How many omega mutants are there?

Hondo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hondo_

Is Magneto one?

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Med

he isn't officially i think. but (back in the day at least) he was considered to have a vast array of powers all stemming from his fine control of magnetic fields. so he is (or was) very powerful, particularly in his villain days but i don't think he's been labeled an omega.

some omegas are jean and rachel grey, gabriel summers, david haller, and emma frost and xavier have been called omega level telepaths. i think the scarlet witch should also qualify.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

no but i think namor is one

jean grey was one

prof x was one

apocloypse was one

evan is one

and kid omega is one

oh and sos scarlet whitch

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By D3athstroke

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

Nope

Magneto is not a Omega level Mutant but Polaris (His daughter is)

Frankling Richards

Hope Summers

Iceman

Nate Gray

Quirinius Quire

Storm

Elixir

Vulcan

Are all Omega

Its not confirmed in any way but i think Hiro Kala was Omega too there are others too

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

The term if I remember correctly was created by Chris Claremont, but no writer or Marvel employee has ever given a strict criteria to what a Omega level mutant is, and lots of writers have offered their own opinions and as admitted by them, as opinions as far as what the term means and some have even corrected themselves after making errors about the term (or editorial has stepped in) and even a few websites have taken their own liberties and introduced fan made scales regarding mutant types.

Those alluded to or referenced as Omega level mutants in the past include Iceman, Mr M, Legion, Hope, Vulcan (when his powers were boosted by his teammates) - Vulcan was actually supposed as more than an Omega by text but this was an oversight by Ed Brubaker who corrected himself later. Elixir, Quentin Quire, Rachel Grey, Franklin Richards, X-Man.There are a few more but can't remember right now. I think Alpha may have been retconned to be.

To obscure the matter, some characters like Emma Frost have been referred to as Omega class telepaths. Which if your serious about language doesn't automatically suggest her being or exclude her from being an Omega level mutant. Many writers have also expressed the idea that certain characters could be Omega level mutants leading to much fan speculation and insistence that a character is Omega.

The term Omega level is also just a common term in fiction. Its the End, often its used to identify end level threats or dangers. Hulk has been referred to being an Omega level threat before but he obviously isn't an X-Gene mutant. Its somewhat of a cliche and overused device now, especially without any actual official criteria. After all what is it actually measuring? Extent? Versatility, expertise, potential, raw power, latent power, power at one moment or overall? Appears to be bits and pieces that can differ in consistency.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

@D3athstroke said:

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

Nope

Frankling Richards

Hope Summers

Iceman

Nate Gray

Quirinius Quire

Storm

Elixir

Vulcan

Are all Omega

Its not confirmed in any way but i think Hiro Kala was Omega too there are others too

what iceman is one and magneto isnt storms one WTF

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By D3athstroke

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@D3athstroke said:

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

Nope

Frankling Richards

Hope Summers

Iceman

Nate Gray

Quirinius Quire

Storm

Elixir

Vulcan

Are all Omega

what iceman is one and magneto isnt storms one WTF

I'm was surprised that Magneto is not and Polaris is when they both have practically same abilities but wen i think about it..

Magneto is so powerful and dangerous because of his mindset and knowledge about magnetism when Polaris is just that powerful

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Madame_Mist

Wait, could Emma be considered one since she no longer possesses telepathy?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tupiaz

@D3athstroke:it makes good sense it is pretty normal that mutant (and mutate like spider-man (what if created spider-girl) and Franklin Richards) gets mutants that are powerful.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The V0id

@D3athstroke said:

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

Nope

Frankling Richards

Hope Summers

Iceman

Nate Gray

Quirinius Quire

Storm

Elixir

Vulcan

Are all Omega

Omega's are supposed to have potential for immortality. So you can scratch Magneto, Polaris and Storm off that list.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: Er, when did that become an requirement? That also removes the majority of them.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The V0id

@Target_X:

The majority left on the list minus Magneto, Polaris and Storm all have immortality potential.

Franklin Richards - Most powerful mutant on Earth. He could warp reality so he could become immortal.

Iceman - Virtually immortal. He can be liquified, evaporated, etc. etc. and still come back to life.

Nate Grey - Already shown being able to turn into a being of pure energy after "death".

Quentin Quire - Same as Nate Grey. Supposedly died, but instead turned into being of pure energy. Xavier noted he had ascended to a higher plane of existence.

Elixir - Biological manipulation. It's highly possible that he cannot be killed due to his biological abilities.

Vulcan - Supposedly died on Krakoa, but survived in space. Blackbolt yelled as loud as he could into Vulcan's ear and he still came back. Doubt he's dead.

Hope Summers - This one is iffy. I think she could be killed. You could scratch her off this list as well.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC said:

The term if I remember correctly was created by Chris Claremont, but no writer or Marvel employee has ever given a strict criteria to what a Omega level mutant is, and lots of writers have offered their own opinions and as admitted by them, as opinions as far as what the term means and some have even corrected themselves after making errors about the term (or editorial has stepped in) and even a few websites have taken their own liberties and introduced fan made scales regarding mutant types.

Those alluded to or referenced as Omega level mutants in the past include Iceman, Mr M, Legion, Hope, Vulcan (when his powers were boosted by his teammates) - Vulcan was actually supposed as more than an Omega by text but this was an oversight by Ed Brubaker who corrected himself later. Elixir, Quentin Quire, Rachel Grey, Franklin Richards, X-Man.There are a few more but can't remember right now. I think Alpha may have been retconned to be.

To obscure the matter, some characters like Emma Frost have been referred to as Omega class telepaths. Which if your serious about language doesn't automatically suggest her being or exclude her from being an Omega level mutant. Many writers have also expressed the idea that certain characters could be Omega level mutants leading to much fan speculation and insistence that a character is Omega.

The term Omega level is also just a common term in fiction. Its the End, often its used to identify end level threats or dangers. Hulk has been referred to being an Omega level threat before but he obviously isn't an X-Gene mutant. Its somewhat of a cliche and overused device now, especially without any actual official criteria. After all what is it actually measuring? Extent? Versatility, expertise, potential, raw power, latent power, power at one moment or overall? Appears to be bits and pieces that can differ in consistency.

Great write up. I think all of this is accurate on all levels. At this point, the term is so devalued that many superhuman mutants can receive enough upgrades to fall into the category.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: Emma Frost and Charles Xavier have been cited as Omega Level on various occasions, and neither of them are immortal.

@SC: Really in depth post, and informative. Thanks!

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By D3athstroke

@The V0id said:

@D3athstroke said:

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@Hondo_ said:

Is Magneto one?

Nope

Frankling Richards

Hope Summers

Iceman

Nate Gray

Quirinius Quire

Storm

Elixir

Vulcan

Are all Omega

Omega's are supposed to have potential for immortality. So you can scratch Magneto, Polaris and Storm off that list.

I said that Magneto is not Omega and you are wrong All Mutants in my list are Confirmed Omegas

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shutdown

@D3athstroke: Do you have the scan of when Storm was said to be Omega?

LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordOfFate

Alright the only confirmed Omega Level - Jean Grey, Iceman, Franklin Richards, Legion, Nate Grey, Mister M, Quentin Quire, Hope Summers, Elixir and maybe Vulcan.

There no real reason how someone is classified as Omega-level mutant....the only thing we know for sure is that they have a vast/almost limitless ability to manipulate or produce energy/matter. Storm, Magneto, Xavier, Polaris and if I remember correctly Havok have all been mention as possible omega level mutants.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarkDay

@SC said:

This for the most part is my response, however I'd also add that in my personal opinion I think it might also be in story writer short hand for "Okay, careful with this character because they could potentially be a story breaker."

If you notice, every character that is confirmed as an Omega is powerful enough or their particular power works in such a way that they could potentially kill plot suspense if handled incorrectly. It's hard to come up with a plausible treat to a reality warper without pushing things into a super powers arms race or just getting silly or convolutedly complex. The same can be said for someone that is capable of atomic level matter manipulation, a powerful healer, someone that has almost nothing to fear from physical damage or even just plain old telepaths honestly once their powers are pushed far enough. Don't get me wrong I know a lot of people enjoy discussing the label and its possible connotations where mutant power is concerned, but I think it is something that has become more popular with fans than it was ever meant to be and as such has just taken on more life than writers ever intended.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@Target_X said:

@The V0id: Emma Frost and Charles Xavier have been cited as Omega Level on various occasions, and neither of them are immortal.

@SC: Really in depth post, and informative. Thanks!

They are not Omega level mutants, they are Omega class telepaths which has to do with their mastery of telepathy, and has nothing to do with genetic potential. For instance adult Jean is an Omega level mutant and an Omega class telepath. Nate, Rachel, young Jean and Quentin are Omega level mutants, but not strictly Omega class telepaths, because as far as we know, none of them have the skill and mastery of telepathy like adult Jean, Xavier or Emma to be classified as Omega class telepaths.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The V0id

@D3athstroke said:

I said that Magneto is not Omega and you are wrong All Mutants in my list are Confirmed Omegas

NO. You sir are wrong. Storm is not an Omega level mutant. Why is she Omega? Because she has extreme manipulation of weather? No. I'm not buying that. Do you think Iceman is considered Omega because he can make stuff freeze? No! It's because he can't die! Polaris is an Omega level mutant? Really? Since when? Because she has magnetic powers? I'm not buying that.

You can add Mr. Immortal and Wolverine to that list, because they truly cannot die. That is the main prerequisite for being an Omega level mutant.

IMMORTALITY POTENTIAL

Say it with me....Immortality potential, which Polaris and Storm do not have.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@The V0id said:

@D3athstroke said:

NO. You sir are wrong. Storm is not an Omega level mutant. Why is she Omega? Because she has extreme manipulation of weather? No. I'm not buying that. Do you think Iceman is considered Omega because he can make stuff freeze? No! It's because he can't die! Polaris is an Omega level mutant? Really? Since when? Because she has magnetic powers? I'm not buying that.

You can add Mr. Immortal and Wolverine to that list, because they truly cannot die. That is the main prerequisite for being an Omega level mutant.

IMMORTALITY POTENTIAL

Say it with me....Immortality potential, which Polaris and Storm do not have.

I was always under that impression that is was not just immortality but the way that immortality is accomplished, through transcending, Wolverine is virtually immortal but if he dies he can't come back (he died in the Sun and only returned because Jean recreated his body), Iceman can transcend death and exist as a disembodied consciousness that can recreate a body, much like Nate Grey can, and Jean can through her ultimate evolution to become a Phoenix. Now, Emma can exist as a disembodied consciousness but cannot recreate or even reassemble her body making her no different than the Shadow King, just a ghost. There was more than one prerequisite and another was potential for unlimited power even on a cosmic scale and extreme control over fundamental forces, but most importantly there is an unknown genetic marker that makes you one and power and immortality don't matter if you don't have this marker. Which is why a mutant that is not terribly powerful, Elixir, is classified even though mutants like Jean and Franklin are far far far more powerful than he is.

And for those that say Polaris is an Omega, she is technically not even a mutant anymore, she lost her mutation and became human (like all mutants that lost their Xgene) and gained powers through tech, making her a mutate (unless I missed something), and it seemed that Omegas were not affected by Wandas spell, as Iceman lost his power and it just turned out this was unconscious on his part and his power returned.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: I don't want to beat a dead horse, but where do you get this information? I'm a fairly avid comic book reader, and I've never heard of this prerequisite until now and I would like to see the source if you don't mind? As far as I've known Marvel has always been very vague on the criteria, and has not made an official checklist of their rubric for deciding.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The V0id

@Target_X said:

@The V0id: I don't want to beat a dead horse, but where do you get this information? I'm a fairly avid comic book reader, and I've never heard of this prerequisite until now and I would like to see the source if you don't mind? As far as I've known Marvel has always been very vague on the criteria, and has not made an official checklist of their rubric for deciding.

The source is right before your eyes! All you have to do is look at all of the actual "confirmed" Omega-Mutants. You can say with confidence that all of them have immortality potential. You say Jean Grey is dead now, but she'll be back, you just wait and see.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: But Jean is dead, and has been for a good while now. Is there a probability of her coming back? Sure. That doesn't mean it is going to happen though. You're only speculating that it is a requirement.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The V0id

@Target_X said:

@The V0id: But Jean is dead, and has been for a good while now. Is there a probability of her coming back? Sure. That doesn't mean it is going to happen though. You're only speculating that it is a requirement.

Actually, I have to correct myself. Jean is still manipulating events from another plane of existence within the Phoenix I believe so she isn't technically dead. Also, she recently came back. I totally forgot about that.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: She didn't come back, that's a past self of her which doesn't technically count.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The V0id

@Target_X: Old Jean is currently in the White Hot Room.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Target_X

@The V0id: Oh yeah? How did she get there? Through being immortal, or by some other means?

The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By The_Myth

Jean Grey, Franklin Richards, Iceman, Nate Grey, Rachel Grey, Cable, Quentin Quire, Legion, Elixir, Vulcan, Hyperstorm, Hope Summers and Mr M are the only mutants to have been confirmed as Omega Level by marvel writers.

soundjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soundjam

Its very confusing to me. Back in the day, I understood that omega level was a mutant whose powers could effect the surround environment, Not so much now I guess. Magneto should be, Hope should not. I'm not in the Hope haters club, Cable is my favorite character in the 'verse so I like Hope. But her powers are like Rogue's only less, so she isn't omega in my eyes.

On the subject of Cable, I don't think he has ever been described as omega, but seeing as its been said that he's a stronger telepath than Jean, who is omega, I would just assume that he is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.