Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How do you feel about the X-Men killing people?

Imbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

As many fans know, the X-Men have been killing people on a regular basis since the 70's. While most of the big name Comics would never featured the heroes killing, the X-Men are one of the few that did. I have heard many comic fans say that they don't like heroes that kill. How do you feel about it? Do you like it? Not like it? Don't care?

Personally, it don't bother me that they do. Most of them have ever been portrayed as blood thirsty anti-heroes, they have just been left no choice. They also have some of the few heroes that we have seen accidentally kill. We have seen mutants come into their powers and kill their friends, as well as mutants losing control of the powers and killing on accident like we have seen with Jean and Storm in the 80's. Then there is the whole losing their free will and killing, which is a plot devise that I am sick of, but as long as Apocalypse is around we will probably continue to see it happen.

Avatar image for purple_d_dragon
    Purple_D_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am cool with it...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Its not a big deal IMO. It almost seems kinda stupid for heroes to keep locking up criminals and villains only for them to keep escaping. I mean of you had Sabertooth in your sights after he killed a dozen people and you decide to let him off because you want to play all noble and not kill, then he goes and massacres a dozen more, then in my opinion you would be just as at fault as he is.

While I don't want all the x-villains dying off, I do think sometimes killing is warranted. So a reform first but kill if necessary approach is what I favor

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The X-Men are vigilantes who protect and guide the mutant species. They do this primarily through violence and giving patronizing speeches.

Is it any surprise that everyone wants to kill them, or that they're forced to kill in return?

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want them to at least feel conflicted about killing. Taking a life is a big deal.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron: Claremont usually did a good job with that. Especially with Colossus, Storm, and Magneto. Even Wolverine seemed to feel conflicted about killing due to how it could effect Kitty. Most writers since him have been hit or miss though.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation: Agreed about Claremont. His wordy writing style with internal monologues is beneficial in this case. The reader and the X-Men themselves knew where everyone stood on the issue, and cared about it.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Its not a big deal IMO. It almost seems kinda stupid for heroes to keep locking up criminals and villains only for them to keep escaping. I mean of you had Sabertooth in your sights after he killed a dozen people and you decide to let him off because you want to play all noble and not kill, then he goes and massacres a dozen more, then in my opinion you would be just as at fault as he is.

While I don't want all the x-villains dying off, I do think sometimes killing is warranted. So a reform first but kill if necessary approach is what I favor

I agree with this. It makes me think that the heroes who would imperil civilian's lives on a constant basis by not permanently destroying a villain that is too powerful to be held by the authorities are in the wrong line of work.

As Lt. Cmdr Elizabeth Paula Shelby said: "If you can't make the big decisions...I suggest you make room for someone who can."

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm cool with it as long as its sufficiently justified.

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the kill just to swiftly end a villain's life kinda thing. Claremont's X-Men weren't like that. Killing to put a big dramatic finish and is totally justified and is part of that person's character, then I would totally go for it.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accept it. Sometimes it's necessary. As long as they take no pleasure in it and it's done quickly and humanely. I love seeing tormented X-Men being forced into killing people out of necessity - hence, why my favourite character is Elixir.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Depends.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Tazirai

s1ckb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure why not

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imbroken said:

As many fans know, the X-Men have been killing people on a regular basis since the 70's. While most of the big name Comics would never featured the heroes killing, the X-Men are one of the few that did. I have heard many comic fans say that they don't like heroes that kill. How do you feel about it? Do you like it? Not like it? Don't care?

Personally, it don't bother me that they do. Most of them have ever been portrayed as blood thirsty anti-heroes, they have just been left no choice. They also have some of the few heroes that we have seen accidentally kill. We have seen mutants come into their powers and kill their friends, as well as mutants losing control of the powers and killing on accident like we have seen with Jean and Storm in the 80's. Then there is the whole losing their free will and killing, which is a plot devise that I am sick of, but as long as Apocalypse is around we will probably continue to see it happen.

every hero has killed people from time to time. it happens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Currently X-Men killing someone is regular thursday.

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Storm killed many during her past years so I guess I like it.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

Currently X-Men killing someone is regular thursday.

true enough lol

Geforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Geforce

@noctum said:

Well, Storm killed many during her past years so I guess I like it.

Even kids

Imbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Imbroken
    Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

The X-Men are vigilantes who protect and guide the mutant species. They do this primarily through violence and giving patronizing speeches.

Is it any surprise that everyone wants to kill them, or that they're forced to kill in return?

Haha. I can't believe I missed this response. They definitely love their patronizing speeches.

INCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine killed heaps of humans when they were mistreated in Genosha (right after Fall of the Mutants). Can't say he wasn't wrong to take them down.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roddy010

I'm cool with it. Not only does it bring depth to the story, some people honestly deserve it. Especially in the movieverse.

No Caption Provided
    kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i'm cool with it as long as its sufficiently justified.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"*snickt* happens"

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X-Men do what must be done. There are fans like myself who wish the X-Men were treated fairly, but ever since that fateful day in the 90s when the rights were sold away mutants have been fighting for their very survival and not just equality and acceptance. We even had to endure the particular travesty and retcon in the ultimate universe of mutants not being an evolution but an experiment. We lost genosha, utopia, our unity, painted our best leaders as villians even when they were right. And in the most recent embarrassment we have been chemically castrated. In response to this treatment I have no issue with the x men killing, and if they could leap off the page im sure they would do a number on the anti mutant monsters in marvels house of ideas

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: For that movieverse monstrosity, I will cast an eclipse...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.