Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Hope Summers .. Spoilers

Avatar image for deactivated-61184dee846d3
    deactivated-61184dee846d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^

^

^

^

^

^

Avengers X-sanction #4 reveals Hope Summers to be the Phoenix

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

boo

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jubilee042

i saw that coming

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

Wait...confused. Do you mean THE Phoenix, as in it's taken a corporeal form? Or do you mean a host of the Phoenix? If it's the latter this couldn't be farther from a spoiler. She's been displaying Phoenix traits since she was a baby.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@The Dark Huntress:

Hope cures Cable of his TO virus completely and he recovers psychically discussing with Cyclops that Hope is indeed the Phoenix via telepathy.

That's what I've heard from forums on the issue on CBR and Uncannyxmen,net

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Hope cures Cable of his TO virus completely and he recovers psychically discussing with Cyclops that Hope is indeed the Phoenix via telepathy.

I don't know if I can totally believe Cable though. I saw another theory on what Hope is that ties into Iron Fist Mythos that makes me question it.

Nathan AdlerMar 17, 2012 03:04 PM
    Back in 1975, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #19, written by Chris Claremont, introduced us to the Firebird which represented the soul and potential goodness for the Earth!
    Before the Great Cataclysm just after the N’Garai were banished from ruling the Earth, a woman known as Jade was physically and sexually assaulted by a band of men and left for dead in the woods. When she recovered she was so mentally anguished that she prayed for death and in response, she was exposed to a blinding light which set her afire, and transformed her into the Firebird, the mystical embodiment of all that is good, kind, decent and noble in humanity.
    In this way Jade represented all that is best, and served as humanity’s soul, and thus lifted humanity out of the charnal pit the N’Garai had dug for it, allowing it to rise above its damned infancy.
    Millennia later, the demon sorcerer, Dhasha Khan, sought to power of the Firebird directing a group of people to assault its human manifestation, Jade, in Feng-Tu, the realm of the dead for the people of K’un L’un.
    This assault was prevented by Iron Fist, who it was suggested was Firebird’s protector.
    With this in mind, it’s interesting that the upcoming Avengers Vs X-Men is suggesting that Iron Fist is the protector of the Firebird.
    Given Bendis and crew are fans of Marvel’s 70s period, I wonder if the plot is a thruline from this story…
    So perhaps Hope Summers isn’t Jean Grey, but Jade reincarnated from Feng-Tu.
    And K’un L’un’s Book of the Dead reveals that the duty of each Iron Fist down the ages has been to protect each incarnation of her!

I saw that on this blog (http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/sunday-rant-avengers-vs-x-men-and-jean.html) under the comment section. It's an interesting theory to say the least.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE

I wish they would pick something for Iron Fist and stick with it. As last established at the end of Fear Itself, he is currently the vessel of Agamotto.

No Caption Provided
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@CATPANEXE: I'm sure they are still keeping him a vessel of Agamotto, but perhaps he thinks Hope's existence is connected to old lore of K'un L'un. Beyond that, it is in Bendis's hands and the editors.....boy that doesn't inspire confidence.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By papad1992

@GambitXRemy said:

^

^

^

^

^

^

I think I just cried because I was sooo hoping that Marvel wouldn't take that predetermined path and surprise us with a huge turn around event!! But no... the creepy Jean Grey-look-a-like has become the Phoenix, ground-breaking!!

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

@GambitXRemy said:

^

^

^

^

^

^

I think I just cried because I was sooo hoping that Marvel wouldn't take that predetermined path and surprise us with a huge turn around event!! But no... the creepy Jean Grey-look-a-like has become the Phoenix, ground-breaking!!

Wow. This whole Avengers vs. X-Men story line and Hope character really did me in as far as any interest in the X-Men goes. It's kind of sad how they chose the least interesting option to proceed with knowing that of all the characters that have returned from the dead, Jean Grey is the one that could do so the easiest with least PIS. Hope was already overpowered to a certain extent and it's to the point that giving her the Phoenix Force in any form is just a prelude to a retcon of either the character, the Phoenix Force itself or continuity. I get that Marvel has this fascination with the Phoenix, but I'm going to go on record as saying I liked Jean Grey more, and the Phoenix was just the ultimate expression of her powers (i.e. without Jean, the Phoenix Force just doesn't seem that interesting).

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@The Dark Huntress:

I don't know if I can totally believe Cable though. I saw another theory on what Hope is that ties into Iron Fist Mythos that makes me question it.

Nathan AdlerMar 17, 2012 03:04 PM
    Back in 1975, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #19, written by Chris Claremont, introduced us to the Firebird which represented the soul and potential goodness for the Earth!
    Before the Great Cataclysm just after the N’Garai were banished from ruling the Earth, a woman known as Jade was physically and sexually assaulted by a band of men and left for dead in the woods. When she recovered she was so mentally anguished that she prayed for death and in response, she was exposed to a blinding light which set her afire, and transformed her into the Firebird, the mystical embodiment of all that is good, kind, decent and noble in humanity.
    In this way Jade represented all that is best, and served as humanity’s soul, and thus lifted humanity out of the charnal pit the N’Garai had dug for it, allowing it to rise above its damned infancy.
    Millennia later, the demon sorcerer, Dhasha Khan, sought to power of the Firebird directing a group of people to assault its human manifestation, Jade, in Feng-Tu, the realm of the dead for the people of K’un L’un.
    This assault was prevented by Iron Fist, who it was suggested was Firebird’s protector.
    With this in mind, it’s interesting that the upcoming Avengers Vs X-Men is suggesting that Iron Fist is the protector of the Firebird.
    Given Bendis and crew are fans of Marvel’s 70s period, I wonder if the plot is a thruline from this story…
    So perhaps Hope Summers isn’t Jean Grey, but Jade reincarnated from Feng-Tu.
    And K’un L’un’s Book of the Dead reveals that the duty of each Iron Fist down the ages has been to protect each incarnation of her!

I saw that on this blog (http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/sunday-rant-avengers-vs-x-men-and-jean.html) under the comment section. It's an interesting theory to say the least.

My main critique of the Jade theory is based from a storytelling angle: I just don't see Iron Fist becoming a recurring character in an X-Men book for the sole purpose of protecting Hope. Cable already did that, and it wasn't that interesting. Also, I don't get how being raped and beaten makes Jade into a symbol of goodness, kindness or nobility, but I do feel bad for anyone who undergoes it.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

while im not surprised or overly excited about Hope becoming the host to the Phoenix Force i still think it will be a good story and i love that they healed Cable. lol now im curious how they are going to infect him with the T.O. Virus again bc you know they aren't going to leave him with his full abilities for very long. I would love to see him stay healed, advance his use of TK and any other mutant abilities he has specially now that X-Man is only a shadow of what he used to be

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

This is not even the first time "Phoenix" healed him, Jean did before when her tk was gone, she used Phoenix imagery and telepathy to increase his powers and turned his arm back into flesh they had some heart to heart moment and it was changed back, he then thought she was Dark Phoenix by the end of the issue and was very wrong. Safe to say Cable might not know what he is talking about, if he's basing this off of her just healing him, something that shouldn't be that amazing anyway with Elixir and reality warpers around. But I did read somewhere that everything going on is for new and potential readers which would explain why everything seems so alien to me right now, I guess all the thousands of dollars many of us "old" readers have individually spent has run out :).

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By WildValentine

Was kind of hoping for Danny to get the Phoenix Force...y'know, with that teaser and all.

lovelyamy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lovelyamy

@CATPANEXE: I agree completely. Having him associated with the phoenix force was and still is a bit random and not in a good way.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Kallarkz

So Cable is like ultimately powerful now since he doesn't have to use his TK to hold back the Virus?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Blood1991

@Kallarkz: I would assume that as well. He is probably gonna join the Xtinction team now or show that power during the event.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The entire 4 issue series was spoiled before it shipped out, just terrible in every way

- If X-Sanction is supposed to set the tone for AvX, the hate for the event will reach new heights

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kallarkz said:

So Cable is like ultimately powerful now since he doesn't have to use his TK to hold back the Virus?

We'll see. Not many writers have a good conception of what a powerful telekinetic could do. We may get an underwhelming 'big TK burst that is scary' type effect rather than what Morrison or Claremont would have done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.