Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Has Bendis delivered on what he promised ?

• 95 results
    Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Has Bendis delivered on what he promised ? (61 votes)

Yes, he gave us exactly what he promised and met or surpassed the Hype 20%
    Nope. I'm disappointed. 52%
    Forever Evil 28%

So lets see, disastrous consequences to the timestream for bringing the O5 ? Nope. Does Beast get at least SOME sort of punishment for pulling off that stunt, from Cyclops or anyone else ? Nope. Do we get a good amount of interaction between Rachel, Cable and young Cyke/Jean ? Nope, just a panel or two in one issue and a few spoken sentences in another.

Did anything major come out of the hype for one of the O5 leaving for Cyclops team ? Absolutely not. The O5 are back together as if nothing happened. Was BOTA the awesome event that radically changes everything like Bendis said it would ? In my opinon, far from it. Did Kitty Pryde's move to Cyclops' team make any sense whatsoever ? Not to me. And what about the X-Men from the future ? What happened to them ? Nothing.

Honestly I think Bendis' stories are decent. They're entertaining, but the whole hype of the O5 coming to the future is dead. They just don't meet the hype that the solicitations create. I think Bendis should just send the O5 back to their own time ASAP, give them a mindwipe and be done with Time-Travel stories for good.

My 2 cents.

• 
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

I don't know, you are trying to rationalize way too abstract writing. So if everything is so non-simply simplified let's just create the device that will teleport several X-powerhouses to every personal heaven/hell and liberate all the dead X-men out of there, why not? At least to get there, was THAT simple, it even would be amoral for them not to try lol. Rules of real world, where flesh and blood can be ripped apart, yet we see pretty much looking the same "demons/ghosts" and every one can physically interact is too odd to begin with. Of course this concept always existed, who says it was ever good?

oh, I dunno. I guess it just doesn't strike me as being that weird or out there for an X-men comic.

There's a reason for this times of him and Bendis as main X-writers being called "the worst times to be an X-fan" lol You're an old-school fan, when was the last time you've heard this (before M-day)? :)

I only started paying attention to what other fans liked or didn't around Regenesis, so I don't have a lot to draw from, but there's always going to be some people that don't like it. When I started reading in '92, a little after Claremont left (is that old-school?), but while his stories were still in monthly reprints, a lot of people seemed to think it was the worst time for X-men. And reading his early 80's stuff alongside the contemporary early 90's stuff, I felt this was probably the case.

In retrospect though, I still think the early 90's stuff after him was better than a lot of what he did in the late 80's, so now I appreciate where the book(s) went. Having read almost all of the main X-men books ever printed, I would definitely not consider right now one of the worst periods. Not even close. I actually think things have gotten better.

For starters, we have a lot more choice with what styles of X-men we read. Aaron's going for a more comic-booky late 70's/early 80's style, Wood's doing a mid 80's/early 90's character drama thing, Uncanny X-Men is doing a re-imagining of the premise like Morrison did, but with it's own distinct vision, All-new' is the far-out future adventures of the 60's team, the new X-force looks like edgy-90's greatest hits, and so forth. So we kind of have the option to choose between the styles of different eras, like X-fans have never had before. For what each book is, even if some may be better than others, there's still way more X-men comics I enjoy coming out now than ever before.

Personally, I've had my fill of All-new'. But I do really like Uncanny X-Men, I think it may be one of the best X-men series in years, and Bendis is writing that. Aaron I'm way more hot and cold on, but I do like some of it. And even if I didn't, I don't think it would be fair to say that this era is worse because of them. Wood's writing Storm's team in X-men, and that's sort of my frame of reference for the team, so I think of that book as being just as central as what Bendis is doing in Uncanny', and more central than anything Aaron's doing. And I like that book

Yep, I disliked Kitty's return was played out awfully, she was phased alone in this bullet with only thoughts of death and eternal loneliness for like a year or two (?), yet she's back like nothing happened and she's pretty sane and no one even remembers she was "absent" and many other odd sh*t was handled so poorly around her "back from the dead". So you do get my point, at least, on this occasion :)

For me, it had nothing to do with how weird it was that she survived this crazy experience and went back to her normal life (of other weird problems), like I say, that kind of weird isn't weird for the X-men. It was more how they tried to get two birds stoned at once; that her return was as much a story about Magneto trying to redeem himself as it was about her being back. You're probably right that Kitty should have had more to do with the story if they were going to bring her back, but the way they did it still could have worked; I mean, Kitty and Magneto used to be friends, she's indirectly responsible for him turning away from villainy in the first place, and they don't even talk about it after. nothing, not even a thank you or anything.

now that Bendis has them sort of on the same team again, he has the opportunity to do something with that; either through a flashback to Utopia or some explanatory exchange between them. Maybe it's not worth trying to fix, but I think I'd appreciate the acknowledgement behind it. It would certainly be an appropriate starting point for developing their relationship at least.

If you're enjoying Kurt's way back to the X-books, then I'm glad for you. I'd like a more complicated way of treating concepts of death and resurrection, but I won't tell you "hey man you shouldn't enjoy this sh*t cause you shouldn't", for me it could be much better IMO

I don't disagree that there might be a better story to tell to bring him back, or a better way to tell this one.

But I can't appreciate something for what it is by judging it based on what it's not.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Knowing Bendis if Kitty and Magneto was to have conversation acknowledging the past, they might end up sleeping together and becoming a couple. He seems to like pissing the serious fans off sometimes

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Knowing Bendis if Kitty and Magneto was to have conversation acknowledging the past, they might end up sleeping together and becoming a couple. He seems to like pissing the serious fans off sometimes

sometimes ?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85: all right all right. Im pissed all the time with him. But I thought it was only me.lol

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All New X-Men is going nowhere fast but Uncanny is great.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@avenger85: all right all right. Im pissed all the time with him. But I thought it was only me.lol

Me too lol.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only started paying attention to what other fans liked or didn't around Regenesis, so I don't have a lot to draw from, but there's always going to be some people that don't like it. When I started reading in '92, a little after Claremont left (is that old-school?), but while his stories were still in monthly reprints, a lot of people seemed to think it was the worst time for X-men. And reading his early 80's stuff alongside the contemporary early 90's stuff, I felt this was probably the case.

In retrospect though, I still think the early 90's stuff after him was better than a lot of what he did in the late 80's, so now I appreciate where the book(s) went. Having read almost all of the main X-men books ever printed, I would definitely not consider right now one of the worst periods. Not even close. I actually think things have gotten better.

For starters, we have a lot more choice with what styles of X-men we read. Aaron's going for a more comic-booky late 70's/early 80's style, Wood's doing a mid 80's/early 90's character drama thing, Uncanny X-Men is doing a re-imagining of the premise like Morrison did, but with it's own distinct vision, All-new' is the far-out future adventures of the 60's team, the new X-force looks like edgy-90's greatest hits, and so forth. So we kind of have the option to choose between the styles of different eras, like X-fans have never had before. For what each book is, even if some may be better than others, there's still way more X-men comics I enjoy coming out now than ever before.

Personally, I've had my fill of All-new'. But I do really like Uncanny X-Men, I think it may be one of the best X-men series in years, and Bendis is writing that. Aaron I'm way more hot and cold on, but I do like some of it. And even if I didn't, I don't think it would be fair to say that this era is worse because of them. Wood's writing Storm's team in X-men, and that's sort of my frame of reference for the team, so I think of that book as being just as central as what Bendis is doing in Uncanny', and more central than anything Aaron's doing. And I like that book

I think you actually nailed down the main point of where are the present books right now and why me, and the way I've seen, many other fans feel "cheated", the books are pretty much repeating themselves (from different points of time, using comics terminology). The only progress I've seen is Cyclops' Revolution supporters, humans that actually go out of doors to support a controversial team, and I really like it. Anything else, not really, oh maybe Legacy but I yet have to read it. A new direction could be a little dangerous, but the world belong to those who dare :)

For me, it had nothing to do with how weird it was that she survived this crazy experience and went back to her normal life (of other weird problems), like I say, that kind of weird isn't weird for the X-men. It was more how they tried to get two birds stoned at once; that her return was as much a story about Magneto trying to redeem himself as it was about her being back. You're probably right that Kitty should have had more to do with the story if they were going to bring her back, but the way they did it still could have worked; I mean, Kitty and Magneto used to be friends, she's indirectly responsible for him turning away from villainy in the first place, and they don't even talk about it after. nothing, not even a thank you or anything.

now that Bendis has them sort of on the same team again, he has the opportunity to do something with that; either through a flashback to Utopia or some explanatory exchange between them. Maybe it's not worth trying to fix, but I think I'd appreciate the acknowledgement behind it. It would certainly be an appropriate starting point for developing their relationship at least.

I am with you on that, I think they should have given her more time to express her feeling and to fit in (morally), to make it feel more natural, but Fraction was mostly a shallow writer, one of the reasons he wasn't good.

Hopefully, you're right, this interaction suggests itself for a good couple of years.

I don't disagree that there might be a better story to tell to bring him back, or a better way to tell this one.

But I can't appreciate something for what it is by judging it based on what it's not.

Depends on what you're looking for.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I think you actually nailed down the main point of where are the present books right now and why me, and the way I've seen, many other fans feel "cheated", the books are pretty much repeating themselves (from different points of time, using comics terminology). The only progress I've seen is Cyclops' Revolution supporters, humans that actually go out of doors to support a controversial team, and I really like it. Anything else, not really, oh maybe Legacy but I yet have to read it. A new direction could be a little dangerous, but the world belong to those who dare :)

See, so from the perspective that Bendis is actually going in a new direction in Uncanny', he's probably the least guilty of repeating old stories. But that hasn't stopped fans from hating what he's doing.

People want something new, but they won't give his new characters/direction a chance because they aren't the characters/direction they want to see. But he also gives people what they say they want by bringing back old characters like Jean Grey and Angel, and it's still not good enough, still somehow not "the real Jean". And in the case of both books, he gets flack for not using the New X-Men instead, as if that has anything at all to do with the stories he is telling.

This is sort of my point about not appreciating something for what it's not. If you're looking for a book to be a specific thing, as in a thing that appeals to your own ideas about what should be central to the stories, it's easy to criticize any book for not meeting your expectations. But how can it? and why should it? Genuine criticism should be based on what something is, not what it's not.

I am with you on that, I think they should have given her more time to express her feeling and to fit in (morally), to make it feel more natural, but Fraction was mostly a shallow writer, one of the reasons he wasn't good.

I think Fraction had some cool ideas for stories, but yeah, overall his era is one of my least favorite. While I do think he's a decent writer, I think he made the mistake of trying to appeal to too many people's desire to see their favorite characters be X-men, ultimately disappointing almost everyone because it meant that not only was there not enough development/reason behind most of these characters, but the team became so big that most of them became background characters if they were even around at all. Magneto and Kitty were both classic X-men, so of course they had to come back, but the reason to bring them back was largely wasted in that context.

The decision to make Cyclops and Emma the center of this huge team was organic enough, in that, after Morrison, Whedon, and even New X-men, and with Wolverine being shared with the Avengers, they really had become the most central characters. But because the team tried to appeal to every fan (of every era), it ultimately had no defining character of it's own other than that it was their (Cyclops and Emma's) team.

Of course, after all that, it made sense to separate Cyclops' Utopian inner circle from the rest of the X-men, so that both he and the rest of the X-men could do their own thing, his inner circle forced in a new direction, while the other X-men try to get back to what they were trying to do as X-men in the first place. From the perspective of the overall story, it has worked out pretty organically.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because Bendis is trying to do something "new" in creating characters, doesn't mean he's actually doing a good job in the creation. Of course that is only my opinion and while Im not seeking to anger anyone who's in love with his characters but I think he's done a lousy job.

I guess I happen to be in the minority when I mention that I dislike Goldballs ( I mean what is that?) and that Deeds comes off as a low budget wannabe Mystique. Almost as if someone decided that Mystique should have always been a member of the Xmen and so in order to get that we get Deeds. Triage is a also a bad rip-off imo. I know Angel had healing powers and someone could argue that Elixir is a repeat of that. But Angel was primarily known for flight and his wings. Also Elixir's backstory starting out against mutants and that constant feeling of him not fitting anywhere was good writing imo. Plus I would Elixir's potential is far more interesting. I mean this guy could possibly restore or give powers to people or even take them away. Also he was created years after Angel. Its just hard to accept that Elixir is just off in la-la land somewhere and now we got another healer in his place. That just seems arbitrary and unnecessary. Honestly instead of creating these new mutants after AVX, I find that I would have preferred that mutants remain endangered and allow the Generation Hope stuff to continue and be fleshed out, incorporating the New Xmen into those stories.

In addition to thinking about Bendis' so-called new direction. The revolutionary team, which is taking a long time to actually get to a revolution, is not a terrible idea. It's just the execution that warrants at least some criticism. In fact I've always felt that Gillen's idea of the Extinction team was one of the most groundbreaking and fresh ideas in a long time. I wish we had a continuation of that team, even if we got replacements for the originals. Then we could have a separate revolutionary team/book working almost directly in harmony with that Extinction team.

Its just hard to get behind the constant introduction of new characters while others are being pushed into limbo, only to realize that in a few years the same current new characters will get the same treatment and be pushed into limbo as well for a whole new batch. Though one may quote that as the history of the xmen franchise, that doesn't make it any less.. for lack of a better word.. bad. that kind of stuff needs to change, there are just too many X-characters floating around out there, ones that were introduced with interesting powers/potential, even some with incomplete backstories and stories left unfinished, to be pushing them off into limbo, for new characters that seem poorly thought-out and poorly written. As much as some people didn't like it, Avengers Arena had somewhat of the right idea seemingly trying to clean up the marvel universe by disposing of the excess. Hate to say it that way but really should we care about the new additions to the already seemingly thousands of Xmen say for instance that we currently have.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I would totes be behind Cyclops' revolution idea if Gillen was the one to headline it. As boring as i thought his actual run was on Uncanny, Consequences was quite enjoyable and he laid some enticing seeds towards the end. Why they had to go and get Bendis to headline it...i will never truly understand.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I don't know, you are trying to rationalize way too abstract writing. So if everything is so non-simply simplified let's just create the device that will teleport several X-powerhouses to every personal heaven/hell and liberate all the dead X-men out of there, why not? At least to get there, was THAT simple, it even would be amoral for them not to try lol. Rules of real world, where flesh and blood can be ripped apart, yet we see pretty much looking the same "demons/ghosts" and every one can physically interact is too odd to begin with. Of course this concept always existed, who says it was ever good?

oh, I dunno. I guess it just doesn't strike me as being that weird or out there for an X-men comic.

There's a reason for this times of him and Bendis as main X-writers being called "the worst times to be an X-fan" lol You're an old-school fan, when was the last time you've heard this (before M-day)? :)

Yep, I disliked Kitty's return was played out awfully, she was phased alone in this bullet with only thoughts of death and eternal loneliness for like a year or two (?), yet she's back like nothing happened and she's pretty sane and no one even remembers she was "absent" and many other odd sh*t was handled so poorly around her "back from the dead". So you do get my point, at least, on this occasion :)

If you're enjoying Kurt's way back to the X-books, then I'm glad for you. I'd like a more complicated way of treating concepts of death and resurrection, but I won't tell you "hey man you shouldn't enjoy this sh*t cause you shouldn't", for me it could be much better IMO

No kitty and magneto conversations becuase they dont want chemistry between them, lol. Like be the new Magneto and Rogue.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler said:

See, so from the perspective that Bendis is actually going in a new direction in Uncanny', he's probably the least guilty of repeating old stories. But that hasn't stopped fans from hating what he's doing.

People want something new, but they won't give his new characters/direction a chance because they aren't the characters/direction they want to see. But he also gives people what they say they want by bringing back old characters like Jean Grey and Angel, and it's still not good enough, still somehow not "the real Jean". And in the case of both books, he gets flack for not using the New X-Men instead, as if that has anything at all to do with the stories he is telling.

This is sort of my point about not appreciating something for what it's not. If you're looking for a book to be a specific thing, as in a thing that appeals to your own ideas about what should be central to the stories, it's easy to criticize any book for not meeting your expectations. But how can it? and why should it? Genuine criticism should be based on what something is, not what it's not.

Again, the idea of liking new characters is becoming dangerous because traditionally, you know they will be thrown into limbo, so why bother? I wasn't an ANXM supporter since the beginning so not guilty, the whole concept is about beating the dead horse, and as I always repeat myself - not in my case as well. With the Uncanny, the only complain would be the slow rhythm of the actual direction, which after 16 issues we still cannot really say what it is! Don't say it is biased, because I just gave the main and actual "why" it isn't.

I think Fraction had some cool ideas for stories, but yeah, overall his era is one of my least favorite. While I do think he's a decent writer, I think he made the mistake of trying to appeal to too many people's desire to see their favorite characters be X-men, ultimately disappointing almost everyone because it meant that not only was there not enough development/reason behind most of these characters, but the team became so big that most of them became background characters if they were even around at all. Magneto and Kitty were both classic X-men, so of course they had to come back, but the reason to bring them back was largely wasted in that context.

The decision to make Cyclops and Emma the center of this huge team was organic enough, in that, after Morrison, Whedon, and even New X-men, and with Wolverine being shared with the Avengers, they really had become the most central characters. But because the team tried to appeal to every fan (of every era), it ultimately had no defining character of it's own other than that it was their (Cyclops and Emma's) team.

Of course, after all that, it made sense to separate Cyclops' Utopian inner circle from the rest of the X-men, so that both he and the rest of the X-men could do their own thing, his inner circle forced in a new direction, while the other X-men try to get back to what they were trying to do as X-men in the first place. From the perspective of the overall story, it has worked out pretty organically.

As the result, it was executed quite well, of course besides the Wolverine's side, although I don't want another of this debate, I'll say I can actually understand why it was Wolverine who "invented" the side of opposition. Anyways some Fraction's ideas were good, but the way he wrote characters unnatural and they were more of shells than actual persons, which I hated plus that art by Dodson and Land, it was the formula of failure in the end lol.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

Man I don't know what you're talking about, Goldballs is a badass. I see in him something symbolical to all this period of character creation lol

I do agree about Elixir, he could be much more than he showed us. I also had this thought of him being able to be that man that can revive the X-gene, but it's too late to be exploited... or not, since the depowered ones won't be repowered by natural process.

I agree in general btw.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Again, the idea of liking new characters is becoming dangerous because traditionally, you know they will be thrown into limbo, so why bother? I wasn't an ANXM supporter since the beginning so not guilty, the whole concept is about beating the dead horse, and as I always repeat myself - not in my case as well. With the Uncanny, the only complain would be the slow rhythm of the actual direction, which after 16 issues we still cannot really say what it is! Don't say it is biased, because I just gave the main and actual "why" it isn't.

Well everyone has their bias, and if you aren't digging the book then you aren't digging the book. Though I'm personally loving the direction of Uncanny', pacing, tone, and all, I do get that not everything's for everyone.

You bring up a point that I've seen others bring up lately, though, that I would like to address, which is this idea that if you don't think characters will last beyond a certain point, why bother enjoying them?

To this I would say why bother enjoying anything? Just because something may or may not be relevant ten years from now doesn't make it any more or less enjoyable right now. I really enjoyed Generation X when I was fourteen, but given that half of the original New Mutants were dead or in limbo by then, I certainly had no illusions about Gen'X still being a thing by the time I was 24. They were the new students of my generation, that's all.

Now it seems like those characters are coming back, like many of the New Mutants did ten years ago, and that is really cool; but half of why it's cool is that I didn't know if any of them would ever be back.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I really dont get the fascination with Goldballs. I guess it really is just me. Coincidentally I think Im might be the only one that is not a fan of Chris Bachalo's art. Guess Im weird that way, but I tend to like a more serious tone in my comics with the occasional joke or quip. I mean I do like Iceman. Goldballs for me just represents that silly tone that I hate as if someone is trying to make a mockery of my favorite franchise.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well everyone has their bias, and if you aren't digging the book then you aren't digging the book. Though I'm personally loving the direction of Uncanny', pacing, tone, and all, I do get that not everything's for everyone.

You bring up a point that I've seen others bring up lately, though, that I would like to address, which is this idea that if you don't think characters will last beyond a certain point, why bother enjoying them?

To this I would say why bother enjoying anything? Just because something may or may not be relevant ten years from now doesn't make it any more or less enjoyable right now. I really enjoyed Generation X when I was fourteen, but given that half of the original New Mutants were dead or in limbo by then, I certainly had no illusions about Gen'X still being a thing by the time I was 24. They were the new students of my generation, that's all.

Now it seems like those characters are coming back, like many of the New Mutants did ten years ago, and that is really cool; but half of why it's cool is that I didn't know if any of them would ever be back.

And that's exactly the circle I'd like to be stopped from spinning around, why is this trend of unforgotten "forgettable" characters is so wrong. At least I'd like to see an in-continuity explanation for the disappearance, though I don't think I wouldn't be angered by Academy X Arena lol

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's terrible on teams in general he should go back to writing street level heroes or indie titles like Powers.

QFT

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Experio
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

And that's exactly the circle I'd like to be stopped from spinning around, why is this trend of unforgotten "forgettable" characters is so wrong. At least I'd like to see an in-continuity explanation for the disappearance, though I don't think I wouldn't be angered by Academy X Arena lol

you know who's both kind of forgettable and kind of great? Rictor. I never really thought much of him until he was on X-Factor, I have no idea what he was doing between X-force and X-factor, and I actually don't care if I ever know, y'know?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know who's both kind of forgettable and kind of great? Rictor. I never really thought much of him until he was on X-Factor, I have no idea what he was doing between X-force and X-factor, and I actually don't care if I ever know, y'know?

That's my problem with starting to read X-Factor, the lineup consists mostly of characters I don't really get or interested. Guess we aren't thinking about the same are we?

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually expect Bendis to write good stories? That's a laugh. He's a hack who only knows how to write one kind of character and his plots have been contrived and nonsensical since Disassembled. Ultimate Spider Man is the only good thing he's ever written

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually expect Bendis to write good stories? That's a laugh. He's a hack who only knows how to write one kind of character and his plots have been contrived and nonsensical since Disassembled. Ultimate Spider Man is the only good thing he's ever written

Thats a shame but then again Marvel Loves Bendis. Cant wait till he goes away.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By LP

Maybe I'm weird but this is the most fun I've had reading an x-men story in years! Is it a masterpiece? No, far from it. For me the x-men's last great story arc ended after Here Comes Tomorrow.

The weird thing for me is that I almost never like Bendis stories!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

Like you say, in the MU all mythologies are real, and that means that there's as many versions of Heaven or Hell as there are stories about them. This is one of the reasons I don't care much about continuity between different stories, because it's really only relevant if it's relevant to the story, and not all stories need to fit within a cohesive framework to be good and/or fun stories.

There's also the explanation that since Nightcrawler was in Heaven when the story started, assuming that his version of that realm grants it's inhabitants their every desire, he could have subconsciously allowed Azazel entrance by either wishing for answers about his mysterious past or by simply wishing for a swashbuckling adventure. However it was that Azazel made his way in though, once he was there, couldn't he wish himself the ruler of his own private hell? I'm just free-ballin' here, but my point is, the premise of the story is already so fantastic, and sets it in realms where the rules of the real world (even by MU standards) don't apply anyway, that one can sort of explain it however suits their fancy. The main thing is, is it a fun story because of it? So far, I think it is.

I don't know that he's trying to make it a joke, I think he's just trying to write a certain style of X-men comic that, presumably, he himself would enjoy. His X-men are pretty wacky by contemporary tastes, sure; but they wouldn't seem out of place at all for someone who grew up reading the X-men in the 70's or even early 80's. I feel like this is actually what he's been swinging for with Wolverine & the X-Men, even if that series was all over the place, that the X-men can also be silly and fun. A lot of that is bound to be too silly for some people, but I'm sure that for many others it's refreshing. I'm certainly enjoying the approach in Amazing' anyway.

I see your point, I guess. Personally, even though Nightcrawler is my favorite character, I was okay with him being dead. He died a hero, and that was better than contriving some story to bring him back just to hang around in the background; I felt the same with Kitty when I thought she was dead, at least her last chapters were good ones. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in reading more stories with Nightcrawler, and so far I'm enjoying this one.

And yeah, even before he died it had just been so long since he'd been a really central character, so seeing him again in a leading role has been pretty great, but I can totally see how he might not always be around or be a main character all the time. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he never came back, but if he is, I enjoy it.

I didn't like how they handled Kitty's return either. I would have thought that she would have developed some kind of fear of being in space or she would had tried to deal with being alive again. That's why I loved the way that Joss Whedon handled Colossus' feelings about coming back from the dead because we actually get to see Colossus trying to get used to being alive and how he was pondering about what his purpose in life was (or something to that degree). I actually wished the X-Men stories after Kitty Pryde was released from the bullet actually showed a bit of Kitty's insecurities about being brought back to Earth.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By adamTRMM

@rabbitearsblog said:

I didn't like how they handled Kitty's return either. I would have thought that she would have developed some kind of fear of being in space or she would had tried to deal with being alive again. That's why I loved the way that Joss Whedon handled Colossus' feelings about coming back from the dead because we actually get to see Colossus trying to get used to being alive and how he was pondering about what his purpose in life was (or something to that degree). I actually wished the X-Men stories after Kitty Pryde was released from the bullet actually showed a bit of Kitty's insecurities about being brought back to Earth.

Fraction sucked in personalities and details, and that's exactly the combination of two lol

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By adamTRMM

Awesome thread timing, but everything was said and done already.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Awesome thread timing, but everything was said and done already.

I was like bruh, how as dis necroed ?

But yeah, he has NOT delivered on what he promised.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By adamTRMM
    @avenger85 said:

No Caption Provided

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
    @avenger85 said:

No Caption Provided

That is the current state of the X-Franchise.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
    @avenger85 said:

No Caption Provided

That is the current state of the X-Franchise.

I wonder who's to blame...

/thread

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Not Bendis. But Disney & Marvel. I've stopped buying X-books and any other Marvel related products for awhile now.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By adamTRMM

@avenger85:

Honestly, I can't believe that Bendis was ever c*ckblocked by powers that be during his run, it's nothing but his creative impotence to blame. He clearly didn't have much plans beyond "look I can make some convoluted time travel shenanigans, of course create a POV time-manipulator Mary Ben.. I mean Sue (that will get the main push) cause I'm Bendis and that's what I do! But I can also show them all how progressive I am and make all tumblr pseudo-social warriors support me with outing some character I write. Why? Because they send me some out of context scans and I'll make the ultimate pandering fan service right here, because in fact I have nothing truly worthy to say instead".

MF had an officially dying Marvel Universe as hi play-yard and look what we got. Disney has nothing to do with sh!tty writing.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This run wasn't for me

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@adamtrmm: The whole pandering to SJWs & hyper-PCness campaign thing has been going on with Marvel and DC for quite sometime now. Disney is notorious for this. Marvel's been doing it hardcore since they got acquired by Disney.

Bendis isn't the only one. Although they might not have ordered him to make those exact decisions, he being PC as he is, the higher ups must have just supported him & patted him on the back for these decisions ( specially Iceman's as it's gone completely against his established canon over decades ). They had the power and authority to not let him go ahead with the Iceman thing. Instead they encourage that crap.

I blame Marvel & Disney for taking NO action to stop these stupid decisions from Bendis, not the other way round.

Disney is right up there with EA these days.

rodrigomonsalv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By rodrigomonsalv

i think it was the first time before phoenix saga we can watch jean shine so it was very nice to watch her, so i think it was amazing

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read much of his run, so I voted Forever Evil... I really liked that story... lotta fun... villains just takin ova... just not givin a cluck... just good evil times of evilness...

Loading Video...

...What were we talking about? kinda got off track

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By adamTRMM

@avenger85:

No denial in that Disney\Marvel is pushing diversity for the sake of it in an absolutely tasteless way (American/Western PC way), and I agree that it is more than obvious that Iceman's swap has become possible most likely due to this pandering policy, BUT, I'm also 100% sure no one really pushed Bendis to make that move, so you can't really blame editorial for accepting main writer's ideas, especially the ones that fit their current mandates. You can blame BOTH, but Bendis is the cause, not the other way around.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In defense of Bendis.... A lot of His strong points early on are clearly still his strong points, the only thing is now people can no longer (or would rather not) defend his stronger points due to the rushed ending of his run.

For all the complaining, debating and nitpicking about his story choices everything in Uncanny is still considerably good until you reach the last issue of the Will and Testament.

Now does it take the fault away from him, because he was forced to wrap up early? No, his pacing and failure to meet deadlines is his own fault and only compounds issues with characterization he faced.

But it should be noted that when we speak about the run that, Bendis clearly had more he wanted to do and that we may never see some of these elements explored doesn't take away from the loads of potential that they had should he have completed it.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@avenger85:

No denial in that Disney\Marvel is pushing diversity for the sake of it in an absolutely tasteless way (American/Western PC way), and I agree that it is more than obvious that Iceman's swap has become possible most likely due to this pandering policy, BUT, I'm also 100% sure no one really pushed Bendis to make that move, so you can't really blame editorial for accepting main writer's ideas, especially the ones that fit their current mandates. You can blame BOTH, but Bendis is the cause, not the other way around.

Oh of course. no one pushed Bendis to make that change. That was his own idea. Had it been the old Marvel days before the whole SJW horseshit started happening, the editorial would have stopped him cold lol.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read much of his run, so I voted Forever Evil... I really liked that story... lotta fun... villains just takin ova... just not givin a cluck... just good evil times of evilness...

Loading Video...

...What were we talking about? kinda got off track

Yeah I loved that event too. The option is there in the poll cuz I made the poll right when Forever Evil began.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I felt everything seemed off and almost pointless when the O5 joined team Cyclops....

Also he didn't develop half of his cast. Aside from Eva-- most of his new mutants were very redundant... And I wanted more from Emma. There were many moments where it felt like the plot wasn't going anywhere or the characters seemed voiced horribly off.
    I liked his vision of Cyclops, Magik, Iceman and Dazzler. And Snatching Kitty from XX-men was a bad move.
    I NEED him to also have Rachel be a bigger role in this. Too much Grey and Summers drama and Rachel like 'whatever'...

But after AvX ended that was his chance to blow the doors off X-men and create something never done before-- This ended up being a big let down. :(

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Koays

I felt everything seemed off and almost pointless when the O5 joined team Cyclops....

Also he didn't develop half of his cast. Aside from Eva-- most of his new mutants were very redundant... And I wanted more from Emma. There were many moments where it felt like the plot wasn't going anywhere or the characters seemed voiced horribly off.

I liked his vision of Cyclops, Magik, Iceman and Dazzler. And Snatching Kitty from XX-men was a bad move.

I NEED him to also have Rachel be a bigger role in this. Too much Grey and Summers drama and Rachel like 'whatever'...

But after AvX ended that was his chance to blow the doors off X-men and create something never done before-- This ended up being a big let down. :(

Again, in his defense....their could've been(and arguably was considering the O5 needed to hear Cyclops' side of things) a good reason from a long term planning point, to add the 05 to the mix since they shared a setting but didn't really have more then one short arc where they interacted.

Pretty much agree with everything else though.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:
    @poisonfleur said:

Again, in his defense....their could've been(and arguably was considering the O5 needed to hear Cyclops' side of things) a good reason from a long term planning point, to add the 05 to the mix since they shared a setting but didn't really have more then one short arc where they interacted.

Pretty much agree with everything else though.

In our defense, of course a Storm fangirl didn't like the O5 leaving Storm's fail school. At least they got to do SOMETHING when they joined Cyclops, instead of remaining worthless like the the JGS staff & students.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.