Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Grant Morrison or Joss Whedon?

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Grant Morrison or Joss Whedon? (32 votes)

Grant Morrison 53%
    Joss Whedon 47%

These are the two most talked about xmen runs from the 2000s. Which one did you like more?

• 
    Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Grant Morrison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like Astonishing more but I think New X-Men is objectively better, if only for taking risks instead of wanking Claremont.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/morrisons-new-x-men-and-whedons-astonishing-x-men-677437/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/why-are-grant-morrison-and-joss-whedon-so-loved-1810374/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/x-men-155/grant-morrison-vs-joss-whedon-685429/

Not to be an @$$ but these tend to pop up frequently.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Morrison was great and did a whole ton of cool different things to help get the x-men out of a massive slum, but Whedon was just so good. There has not been any writer to this day who has made the X-Men feel cool again like what Whedon did in Astonishing X-Men.

God damn remember when Cyclops was the f**kin coolest?

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

My god just watching these clips I have forgotten how good he used to write Logan to....

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Well, my answer's always going to be the same: JOSS WHEDON!!!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Grant Morrison run was one of the smartest, out there, game changing takes on The X-men, and I Hated It!

After ready Morrison's run, I learned you can have well written stories that you just don't like. There is nothing with Grant's X-Men, I just don't like it.

Now Whedon run on X-men was my ****. Some people may call it Claremont wanking, and they're right. I just wish there was more Claremont wanking going around....

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Huir

Grant Morrison.

I did not like Whedon. His run was boring imo. I also don't think his style was anything like Claremont's. Whedon seemed more like Mark Millar.

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By David_James

@adamtrmm said:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/morrisons-new-x-men-and-whedons-astonishing-x-men-677437/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/why-are-grant-morrison-and-joss-whedon-so-loved-1810374/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/x-men-155/grant-morrison-vs-joss-whedon-685429/

One of those threads was made by me and has nothing to do with which run was more enjoyable. The other two dont have my fancy poll. ;)

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

One of those threads was made by me and has nothing to do with which run was more enjoyable. The other two dont have my fancy poll. ;)

I concede.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whedon easily.

Anopticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say Whedon.

Morrison was incredible and laid the groundwork for many more X-men stories, but Whedon was simply so much fun.

And I really liked where Cyke's costume went from his run into the utopia and heroic age.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are both overrated, but Morrison a little less so.

Whedon was full of bad plots and bad dialog. All of its humor fell flat imo. He turned Wolverine into a punchline and I didn't like what he did to Emma Frost and Professor X. His first arc was ridiculously average. Danger was just a bad concept and silly within itself. The Hellfire arc was the weakest out of the four. By the time I got to the last one, I just couldn't care anymore. I really don't understand the hype for this man.

Morrison was very good in the beginning. He changed the X-Men and moved them away from the cluster that became the status quo in the late 90's. His run did also have some bad characterizations and lazy writing, but at least it actually felt like he was doing something worthwhile.

Morrison easily did more for X-Men, and whether you like him or not, his run is a must read. Whedon is skippable and you lose almost nothing from doing so.

frostyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whedon. I really like Morrison's run, but Joss Whedon made the X-Men feel like the X-Men again. Also, he writes the best Emma Frost.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison. I didn't enjoy Whedon's at all. I can't stand his sense of humor and I didn't like him bringing Colossus back.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like Whedon's run in the same way that I really loved Dennis Hopeless' X-Men: Season One--it was a nice reminder of the stories and dynamics of the past. It wasn't exactly the same, but provided a nice updated, modern look at the X-Men of yesteryear.

But I just cannot get over how exciting Morrison made the X-Men, even if it wasn't the X-Men I'm necessarily comfortable with. His run was like adding another planet into the already vast X-Men universe, pushing characters I love into the next century and past their breaking points, while also shining a light on characters that would never have seen the light of day before the moment the leaped upon the page.

Both runs are great and highly influential, but my vote goes to the one that lit my soul on fire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Joss Whedon. I never understood the appeal of Morrison's run.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were a bit disappointing after hearing the praise for them, but I will go with Morrison. Whedon was okay, but didn't feel like anything special.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Morrison provided more interesting material.

NetherlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disliked Morrison. Whedon was okay, but not as good as some of the other writers from the 2000s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.