Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Even though it's Bendis......

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hareil0079

Let's talk about the pieces we know about coming in, starting with Brian Bendis on "All-New X-Men." He's been working with the Avengers for so long, what was it about his pitch on the X-Men that made you as a person invested in that franchise say, "Yes, this is what we want"?

Alonso: When we first entertained a story that would bring the Lee/Kirby X-Men into the present, Brian was the one who immediately latched onto it. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who reads Brian's work because he has a special gift for writing compelling, nuanced stories featuring young characters that either come to terms with new powers or deal with strange new situations, or both. No one tells a better ground-level story that introduces readers to a world through a young person's eyes -- and that's apparent from the first two scripts Brian's already written -- yep, already written! [Laughs] This is young Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel traveling into the future and seeing what happened to Xavier's dream. And some of them will find out they didn't even make it this far! [Laughs] Imagine you're 17-year-old Jean Gray and you crash-land in the present. It'd be, like, "Why is everyone looking at me so strange...?"

And let me be very clear: Once the Lee & Kirby X-Men come into the present, they're here for the long haul. They're here for the foreseeable future, and that's something they -- and the rest of the Marvel Universe -- will have to come to terms with.

I'm kind of excited now with UXM successor All New X-Men. On another thread I previously thought that the idea with bringing the O5 to post AvX time wouldn't last to long and be a brief interlude and then move on, but now I'm actually glad I'm wrong and after reading this I'm seeing more possibilities and hopefully good stories so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39603

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Osian2

I'm really not looking forward to this. What real difference can the O5 make to the current X-men? These will be the characters people love but without any of the development or experiences that made them great. Even if the O5 don't like what they see why should anyone listen to them? They won't have experienced any of the biggest X-men events i.e.Phoenix Saga and House of M. Scott won't be the great leader, Bobby won't have access to his full powers, Jean will be weak, Warren will be a stereotype and Beast will be the same but more human looking.

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nightcrawler23

@Osian2 said:

I'm really not looking forward to this. What real difference can the O5 make to the current X-men? These will be the characters people love but without any of the development or experiences that made them great. Even if the O5 don't like what they see why should anyone listen to them? They won't have experienced any of the biggest X-men events i.e.Phoenix Saga and House of M. Scott won't be the great leader, Bobby won't have access to his full powers, Jean will be weak, Warren will be a stereotype and Beast will be the same but more human looking.

That's what makes them interesting. They've never seen themselves in a place of leadership before. Now they're back, with everyone expecting them to be more than they are.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osian2

@Nightcrawler23 said:

@Osian2 said:

That's what makes them interesting. They've never seen themselves in a place of leadership before. Now they're back, with everyone expecting them to be more than they are.

I'd rather read about the current O5 and where they're gonna go and what they're going to be doing. These O5 won't know anyone and have no real experience. It seems to me like Bendis couldn't be bothered to learn about the X-men so he just went and brought the O5 back so he can write his own personalities.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

everyone is to quick to jump on the Bendis hate bandwagon....his Ultimate Spider-man has been nothing but good and it's been going on for well over a decade now....plus his Daredevil was excellent....give him a chance before you start bashing

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Osian2

@danhimself said:

everyone is to quick to jump on the Bendis hate bandwagon....his Ultimate Spider-man has been nothing but good and it's been going on for well over a decade now....plus his Daredevil was excellent....give him a chance before you start bashing

I personally don't hate Bendis (I've only read his ultimate Spider-man and I liked it) I just hate the whole idea of bringing the O5 to the present instead of moving forward.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hareil0079

@Osian2 said:

That's where I'm seeing possibilities, now in a sense they can have new and different experiences compare to what was originally laid out for them which most of us know

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Kallarkz
    @danhimself said:

Have you read a book with Bendis writing for a team? 
    His Ultimate Spider-Man run is awesome and his Daredevil run was superb. 
    But when he writes team books they suck. 
    And people have every write to notice that pattern. 
    Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Umbraa

@danhimself, agreed. His ANXM might be a team version of USM! And while his later team books did kinda lose it, when he first started that wasn't the case. Plus Young heroes are his thing.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

616 Scott: Hi, Jean.

O5 Jean: Hi...Scott?

Scott: I haven't seen you in awhile.

Jean: What do you mean by th..?

Emma: It means your a corpse floating in space.

(I know she isn't "dead" and is in the WHR, but I hope this happens.)

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Blood1991

@god_spawn said:

Love it.

I'll read an arc before I starting hating something I have little information about.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Blood1991: I won't hate on it but I probably won't buy the first two issues or so unless I see some good things about it. Hareil does raise a good point Bendis does do well with younger heroes, but that usually involves single characters. His team books and works on events make me distrust it for the time being.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mercy_

I WILL HATE THIS ON PRINCIPAL BECAUSE I AM AN IRRATIONAL COMIC BOOK FAN.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Blood1991

@god_spawn said:

@Blood1991: I won't hate on it but I probably won't buy the first two issues or so unless I see some good things about it. Hareil does raise a good point Bendis does do well with younger heroes, but that usually involves single characters. His team books and works on events make me distrust it for the time being.

I'll tell you if it is awful or not then lol. I have to agree his team books are just terrible and I am also pretty skeptical about him playing with the orginal X-Men.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hareil0079

@god_spawn said:

I'm not doubting the distrust or the dialogue you provided cause I'm actually anticipating it, but I'm saying things can change the O5 Jean in Post AvX could possibly develop new relations and new experiences that's all, we never know we'll find out (it's that aspect I'm seeing that's got me sorta excited) I could see different parring, hell Jean may end up learning some things under her alternate reality daughter, her and Hope may end up being rivals and best of friends who knows. Chances are I can see her going to Wolverines school though I can bet it'll be weird for her at first. I'm sure her current (WHR self) will end contacting her eventually. (Just ideas i can see)

MarvelGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MarvelGrey

@Hareil0079: Alonso: When we first entertained a story that would bring the Lee/Kirby X-Men into the present, Brian was the one who immediately latched onto it. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who reads Brian's work because he has a special gift for writing compelling, nuanced stories featuring young characters that either come to terms with new powers or deal with strange new situations, or both. No one tells a better ground-level story that introduces readers to a world through a young person's eyes -- and that's apparent from the first two scripts Brian's already written -- yep, already written! [Laughs] This is young Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel traveling into the future and seeing what happened to Xavier's dream. And some of them will find out they didn't even make it this far! [Laughs] Imagine you're 17-year-old Jean Gray and you crash-land in the present. It'd be, like, "Why is everyone looking at me so strange...?"

Shame that they couldn't even spell her name correctly. I like Ultimate Spider-man and it was his best series (never read his indy stuff) but this book is gonna bomb because Bendis can't handle multiple characters that have continuity. I could have sworn that Bendis only read the first issue of X-men or something like that and now he gets this book ridiculous.This book will have Wolverine, disrespect towards Jean (and women in general), and I'm not having that towards characters that I love no Bendis for me.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oraclefyre

He actually seems to be going for the fiesty red-headed take for Jean. Remember it was written in the 60s, and the Original 5 definitely need an update.

“It’s the one thing X-Men fans have always asked for is: They want Jean Grey back," he said. "But they want Jean Grey. Not reincarnated Jean, or the ghost of Jean. Well, you’re getting Jean back. And Jean is gonna be looking at a world that rattles her. I love feisty redheads. I’ve been married for many years to a very feisty redhead. But I’ve never applied that to writing before. I didn’t even realize what I was doing, but Stuart Immonen is drawing the book, and looking at it I realized: ‘Ha ha, I’m doing my wife!’”

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/191541-marvel-responds-to-new-52-with-marvel-now

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By lorex

While I am not opposed to seeing how the original 5 react to the modern world, I just do not see the big deal about those characters. We have seen who these characters have grown and developed over the years and now their younger selves will see what they have become. The concept to me looks good for a mini or even a maxi series but how can this be sustained in the long term. At some point these characters have to go back to the past and with the knowledge the posess they could change everything about the Marvel universe. Since Marvel has been adamant that they are not restartinig their universe how can this be. Maybe the Professor will edit their memories again. Personally I would have prefered to have a new team created without Cyclops or Wolverine and focus the spotlight on other X-Men. Part of me thinks this is a cheep ploy to get Jean back from the dead so to speak. That being said one scene I would like to see would be their meeting an older walking Professor X and finding out that he was basically fired from the X-Men. As for Bendis writing a main X-Book, while he would not have been my first choice I will give him a chance, I hope I am not disappointed.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Crimsonlord53

@oraclefyre said:

He actually seems to be going for the fiesty red-headed take for Jean. Remember it was written in the 60s, and the Original 5 definitely need an update.

“It’s the one thing X-Men fans have always asked for is: They want Jean Grey back," he said. "But they want Jean Grey. Not reincarnated Jean, or the ghost of Jean. Well, you’re getting Jean back. And Jean is gonna be looking at a world that rattles her. I love feisty redheads. I’ve been married for many years to a very feisty redhead. But I’ve never applied that to writing before. I didn’t even realize what I was doing, but Stuart Immonen is drawing the book, and looking at it I realized: ‘Ha ha, I’m doing my wife!’”

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/191541-marvel-responds-to-new-52-with-marvel-now

This is what I don't like. As a x-men fan I want an older more mature jean who has tamed or is in control of the phoenix heck even just have the big bird dormant back. I do not want 17 years old doe eyed unsure of herself or her powers jean back. This also throws her into a new/old love triangle with scott and warren which is one of the major points jean fans wanted marvel to avoid.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By _Zombie_

@danhimself said:

Both of those are single-character books. It's his team books that're more or less complete crap. So the hate is somewhat justified.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By _Zombie_

@InnerVenom123: I like to pretend that run didn't happen.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    This is already better than anything that's happened in Uncanny since #500.  

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@danhimself said:

Both of those are single-character books. It's his team books that're more or less complete crap. So the hate is somewhat justified.

The hate is completely justified. He writes crap. Ultimate Spider-Man was always average, and Daredevil just f*cked over any writer that followed.
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By KainScion

i shall refrain from hating. for now. due to spider-men. but even those are a HUGE tease so far. but they are great.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By AgeofHurricane

No. I for one don't want to waste time or money on something that has been done more than 5 times already, it's a little bit of a given that the 05 are probably the most boring and non-interesting team out there, the majority of their series' have been cancelled and the only time they were on the lines of interesting was during 80's/90's XF, the 05 are like, the main reason why characters like Storm, Colossus and Wolverine are around today, because they got the title cancelled in the first place -_-.

If the recent reactions are anything to go off of, fans do not want to read about a young, sassy, red-head who's finding herself in a world that's changed and w.e, we've gotten that already. I for one want to read about a Jean Grey who's finally collected all those damned pieces, is entering a world that has changed mostly because of the powerful entity she possessed, figuring out her place with Mutantkind, getting over the fact that her marriage ended up a mess and that Scott is with Emma now--an independent Jean Grey who actually makes a statement, rekindles her lost friendships with people like Ororo and Wolverine maybe, comes to terms with death of loved ones like Kurt...and her whole damned family FFS.Not THIS rubbish, this a fu*cking waste of space, no matter how good the writing and premise might be, it was the wrong way to go. We don't need two versions of Warren, two versions of Hank, two versions of Bobby, two versions of Scott and now two versions of Jean Grey in the same universe (Hope Summers, LOL.) it's a complete and utter waste, obviously, there are no ideas sprouting out from that House.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oraclefyre

Wait, so what's going to happen to Hope?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@oraclefyre said:

Hopefully she get's flushed down a toilet in K'un Lun, with Grey's return, she is no longer needed, as bad as that makes me feel.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Osian2

@AgeofHurricane said:

@oraclefyre said:

Hopefully she get's flushed down a toilet in K'un Lun, with Grey's return, she is no longer needed, as bad as that makes me feel.

It's only natural to flush crap down the toilet, don't feel bad.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

My two biggest problems with Bendis are that he doesn't write as well as he used to, either because he lost his touch or because he spread himself too thin, and that he know absolutely nothing about the X-Men. I expect for character to be out of character more than they were in Fraction's run.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oraclefyre

@AgeofHurricane said:

@oraclefyre said:

Hope so. The build up for her was so great but it was really all for pretty much nothing.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hareil0079

@AgeofHurricane said:

No. I for one don't want to waste time or money on something that has been done more than 5 times already, it's a little bit of a given that the 05 are probably the most boring and non-interesting team out there, the majority of their series' have been cancelled and the only time they were on the lines of interesting was during 80's/90's XF, the 05 are like, the main reason why characters like Storm, Colossus and Wolverine are around today, because they got the title cancelled in the first place -_-.

If the recent reactions are anything to go off of, fans do not want to read about a young, sassy, red-head who's finding herself in a world that's changed and w.e, we've gotten that already. I for one want to read about a Jean Grey who's finally collected all those damned pieces, is entering a world that has changed mostly because of the powerful entity she possessed, figuring out her place with Mutantkind, getting over the fact that her marriage ended up a mess and that Scott is with Emma now--an independent Jean Grey who actually makes a statement, rekindles her lost friendships with people like Ororo and Wolverine maybe, comes to terms with death of loved ones like Kurt...and her whole damned family FFS.Not THIS rubbish, this a fu*cking waste of space, no matter how good the writing and premise might be, it was the wrong way to go. We don't need two versions of Warren, two versions of Hank, two versions of Bobby, two versions of Scott and now two versions of Jean Grey in the same universe (Hope Summers, LOL.) it's a complete and utter waste, obviously, there are no ideas sprouting out from that House.

I want that too, i'm just keeping my mind open to it that's all. the biggest problem I see with this is how will time get altered cause if the O5 from 616 comes to Post AvX 616, time has gotta obviously change in or get disrupted for Post AvX which i'm wondering how that's gonna be addressed.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@oraclefyre said:

It's only natural to flush crap down the toilet, don't feel bad.

Lmao. It's just, the sad things is, i used to like the character.

@oraclefyre said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@oraclefyre said:

Hope so. The build up for her was so great but it was really all for pretty much nothing.

Too true. I think i much preferred the Hope who was still a toddler and was under the care of Nathan and the REAL Hope Summers. Those were better days.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oraclefyre

@AgeofHurricane said:

Too true. I think i much preferred the Hope who was still a toddler and was under the care of Nathan and the REAL Hope Summers. Those were better days.

Ah, the good old days when Hope was one of my favourite characters and not the brat she is today. Good times they were...

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By x_29

On one hand he wrote his rather unimpressive avengers run. On the other hand he wrote ultimate spider-man. I hope All-New X-men is his second Ultimate Spider-man if you catch my drift.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bendis now infects another Marvel franchise....the original X-Men brought to the present for the long haul and not a one shot or mini-event? It's like they are sending me subliminal messages to not give them any more money

Metron144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Metron144

Marvel is just getting worse and worse. What the hell happened? After Civil war and Anihilation, I figured they were actually trying to tell good stories. Even the avengers section of marvel has become stale, probably because there are 50 different avengers teams. The only marvel book that I like right now is uncanny xforce. Everything else just feels like. a hype machine cash in. I'll bet wolverine joins the kirby/lee xmen after a few issues.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By JonesDeini

Couldn't pay me to read most Bendis helmed books these days, folk.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@god_spawn said:

ROLFMFAO Emma would say that lol

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Mercy_ said:

You were joking when you said this, I however am completely serious

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Mercy_
    @BlackArmor

@Mercy_ said:

I wasn't joking :(
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Mercy_ said:

@BlackArmor

@Mercy_ said:

I wasn't joking :(

Oh.......well.......good

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.