Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

end of trial - EPIC FAIL

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jean discovers new levels of her powers. a level definitely much higher than the jean of the x-men gold and even years after. she was like of pure psionic energy. a complete twist i never saw coming.

So, Xorn-jean was really powerful enough to take on a phoenix avatar and a bunch of x-men altogether. WOW!

I just dont get it when gladiator and jean herself said that she is last of her kind when cable, nate grey and rachel grey are still alive.

I really hated the ending. No PHOENIX of the CROWN shit yet. Will there still ever be?

I don't like the thought of 04+X23 line up. DISGUSTING!

Please Bring scott back!

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Eeshaan1685

I think O5 Scott is gone for the long haul. Don't seem like he's coming back anytime soon.

The issue was decent at best. Cyke was a badass, and do take NOTE of the interaction between Angela and Jean on the spaceship. That might answer a lot of questions.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XsPectre28

i dont care about have a super powerful teen jean, i just want the original jean back. i see and understand giving the O5 new depth but unless they do merge with there current selves or atleast erase the current timeline when they return to the past i just dont care. i liked jean the way she was, and is the heart of the x-men. the x-men suffered tremendously without her... she was there moral compass and i see teen jean becoming a villian and i dont want that.... unless she and maddie join forces for a short time... maybe bring hope in as well to create a new crossover event/Arc- "Save Jean or True Jean or The Rebirth" were maddie manipulates teen jean and hope the trio goes on a rampage thru the marvel U decimating the Shi'ar, enslaving the earth or atleast trying to and in the end of the arc. Maddie, Teen Jean, & hope fuse into Jean/Phoenix of the Crown then the phoenix leaves Jean and returns to guard the white hott room leaving jean with her advanced power but no phoenix unless needed.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.....So first off, this was written extremely poorly. And i don't mean "i dont like what they did with the characters so it sucks" I mean the phrase "I love you guys" was used so often that the rules of repetition in writing fell apart.

2nd I'm not a fan of uber Jean because its just another reason for someone to lock away the character forever. I get the desire to seperate this Jean from the Phoenix, but how is this a good thing for the character to have another ridiculous power up long term?

3rd. I read X-Men War of Kings/King Breaker.....Rachel Grey exist and i'm tired of Marvel writing stories around her just for the sake of a cool idea.

4th. Cyclops' departure was under written.

5th. I dont like the Guardians of the Galaxy

But all that said, I think a big part of why this failed was because we were hoping for a major development regarding Jean and her connection to the phoenix, and what we got was 6 issues (some of which were unneccesary) of cast interactions just to so Jean could find out that the Shiar killed her family and get a power up from it. And that's our fault for guessing wrong.

Still even her finding out that her entire family was killed, would've had more impact if it was revealed in a single issue by adult Cyclops or even Rachel Grey. Then we could've spent the other two building to her new powers instead of giving me a reason to not see the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eeshaan1685

Still absolutely no meaningful interaction with Rachel and Cable.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not suprised this was a waste of time. It should never have been done. I dont know anyone who was excited about this. At the comic store Im listening to all the outrage and laughing like "come on, why are we still buying this crap and supporting it". Again what did we really expect?

IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst thing about this is there is no telling when the O5 will be leaving.

IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Not suprised this was a waste of time. It should never have been done. I dont know anyone who was excited about this. At the comic store Im listening to all the outrage and laughing like "come on, why are we still buying this crap and supporting it". Again what did we really expect?

It really was a waste of time and it does not get me excited for the future of X-books.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The scene with Cyclops leaving made sense. I like how Bendis killed the Scott/Jean relationship for good without either of them getting into an argument or pointing fingers at each other. I expected Bendis to make their break-up a lot more violent.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@hawk2916 said:

It really was a waste of time and it does not get me excited for the future of X-books.

Man, I stopped reading this book in the middle of BotA, and it looks like that was the right time. I actually like the idea of the "O5" being around in their own book, but they should have given this book to Mike Costa after issue 15.

I do think things are looking much better for the other X-men books though, so if this one's kind of a flop, that'll be okay with me.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CheeseSticks

Magneto is out of Bendis hand and now Young Cyke? HELLLLLL YEAHHHHHH!!!

And another boring Bendis event. We really need a meme of «Bendis happened».

There, I create one. Now we can all use it.

No Caption Provided

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yeah....I gotta agree with everyone here, this issue was a huge letdown. This whole trial storyline has kind of been a huge letdown.

I have no idea where they are going to go from here on out or what direction they are going to with this team and the All-New X-Men book...and frankly I'm kind of worried

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm dropping All New. Will pick it back up when, or if my favourite character ( O5 Scott) returns.

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaaaaaaay Cyclops is gone!

Now things will get really exciting and truly be All-New.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Ok.....So first off, this was written extremely poorly. And i don't mean "i dont like what they did with the characters so it sucks" I mean the phrase "I love you guys" was used so often that the rules of repetition in writing fell apart.

2nd I'm not a fan of uber Jean because its just another reason for someone to lock away the character forever. I get the desire to seperate this Jean from the Phoenix, but how is this a good thing for the character to have another ridiculous power up long term?

3rd. I read X-Men War of Kings/King Breaker.....Rachel Grey exist and i'm tired of Marvel writing stories around her just for the sake of a cool idea.

4th. Cyclops' departure was under written.

5th. I dont like the Guardians of the Galaxy

But all that said, I think a big part of why this failed was because we were hoping for a major development regarding Jean and her connection to the phoenix, and what we got was 6 issues (some of which were unneccesary) of cast interactions just to so Jean could find out that the Shiar killed her family and get a power up from it. And that's our fault for guessing wrong.

Still even her finding out that her entire family was killed, would've had more impact if it was revealed in a single issue by adult Cyclops or even Rachel Grey. Then we could've spent the other two building to her new powers instead of giving me a reason to not see the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

All of this but especially 3 and 4.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Magneto is out of Bendis hand and now Young Cyke? HELLLLLL YEAHHHHHH!!!

And another boring Bendis event. We really need a meme of «Bendis happened».

There, I create one. Now we can all use it.

No Caption Provided

OMG! I'm stealing this! :D^

Orrsome28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Orrsome28

Could someone please explain why all of a sudden Jean is now so far removed from the original that the nature of her power is drastically different? It makes little sense to me at all.

I understand that the circumstances surrounding the development of her powers differs but why should that equate to her becoming a glowing pink entity of psionic energy? It doesn't seem all that plausible considering the original Jean went through all the actual trauma and all O5 Jean did was hear secondhand accounts of such events. Sure, finding out about the death of most of her family line would affect her deeply but its incredibly hard to believe that it affected her to such an extent that it triggered her new-found level of power.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Could someone please explain why all of a sudden Jean is now so far removed from the original that the nature of her power is drastically different? It makes little sense to me at all.

I understand that the circumstances surrounding the development of her powers differs but why should that equate to her becoming a glowing pink entity of psionic energy? It doesn't seem all that plausible considering the original Jean went through all the actual trauma and all O5 Jean did was hear secondhand accounts of such events. Sure, finding out about the death of most of her family line would affect her deeply but its incredibly hard to believe that it affected her to such an extent that it triggered her new-found level of power.

Thing is, it didn't. It's not virtually possible to coalesce the development TJeen's received since the inception of this series and provide a positive and logical consensus as to how things have happened; pertaining to herself and new-found discoveries as well as those that have happened around her since the O5 came. You'll find nothing more than a tired old man's half-arsed attempt at conveying what he perceives is today's teenager through myopic misconceptions coupled with pandering attempts directed specifically to those on Tumblr >.>.

Like, see her somehow beating her future self in BOTA. That made no sense whatsoever.

The whole 'being of psionic energy' thing was a way for Bendis to, yet again, pull the wool over unsuspecting reader's eyes and have them believe that this was the big, warranted, pay-off that they had been sitting on the edge of their seats for since the trial began. It's accompanied by no explanation or justification--just lots of fancy art by Pichelli and Immonen. *shrugs*

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By darthphoenix

jean being of pure psionic energy, does this mean that her kids, nate and rachel can also be of pure psionic energy?

i'm not sure that jean-jean would do what tean jean did, take a head-on collision with gladiator.

Orrsome28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Orrsome28

Thing is, it didn't. It's not virtually possible to coalesce the development TJeen's received since the inception of this series and provide a positive and logical consensus as to how things have happened; pertaining to herself and new-found discoveries as well as those that have happened around her since the O5 came. You'll find nothing more than a tired old man's half-arsed attempt at conveying what he perceives is today's teenager through myopic misconceptions coupled with pandering attempts directed specifically to those on Tumblr >.>.

Like, see her somehow beating her future self in BOTA. That made no sense whatsoever.

The whole 'being of psionic energy' thing was a way for Bendis to, yet again, pull the wool over unsuspecting reader's eyes and have them believe that this was the big, warranted, pay-off that they had been sitting on the edge of their seats for since the trial began. It's accompanied by no explanation or justification--just lots of fancy art by Pichelli and Immonen. *shrugs*

Cheers for the response. It would seem that I'm not the only one who failed to see reasoning nor value in this sudden progression. Even as I write this it irks me to refer to the issue's conclusion as any sort of progress made.

In fact, within this entire story arc lies a giant disparity to what we have seen recently without any semblance of an explanation. I don't need to be told everything but it would certainly be nice if there was some clear logic behind a lot of what happened. For instance, the motivations driving Gladiator's behavior were handled incredibly poorly. Apparently we are expected to believe his zero tolerance stance stems from a place of retribution or hard justice when everything we've seen of him lately paints a very different, humbler picture.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I've been flipping through issues for the past year or so; not really buying them anymore. Have been discovering other comics, incl. Marvel and DC titles, though, so all is not lost.

@koays said:

They'll probably talk about her immaturity and etc. So we'll have to see. Quentin Quire is still around, and he's very powerful on paper.

I'm interested in the idea of her becoming a being like Malice or Shadow King.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Koays

@phoenixofthetides: idk, to me it seems silly. The running reason for Jean being dead was that she was too powerful, so in the same storyline they once again distinguish her from the Phoenix REMOVING the thing that made her so broken.....they give her another crazy power?

I mean Age of X and BotA both hinted at this type of power but Is it too much to ask for a usable Jean Grey not defined as a psy god?

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad I stopped reading this after BOTA, it sounds like a train wreck.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Nate Grey already has been a being of psionic energy. It was first during the crossover with Cable where they dealt with Stryfe called Blood Brothers (I think), I am too lazy to find a scan of it. Plus when Nate "died", he turned himself into psionic energy and merged with all life on Earth. This is talked about by Dark Beast to Beast during Endangered Species when they talk about Nate and Jean. Dark Beast also stated he could undo the process which Nate did in Dark X-Men. However it was learned that Nate became a psionic entity and his physical form is technically a faux body that he made for himself that is made from psionic energy. Not sure X-staff gives a damn about that canon though given what happened in New Mutants to nerf him.

Long story short, Nate has done something like this too.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F**K Off Bendis.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: Nate Grey already has been a being of psionic energy. It was first during the crossover with Cable where they dealt with Stryfe called Blood Brothers (I think), I am too lazy to find a scan of it. Plus when Nate "died", he turned himself into psionic energy and merged with all life on Earth. This is talked about by Dark Beast to Beast during Endangered Species when they talk about Nate and Jean. Dark Beast also stated he could undo the process which Nate did in Dark X-Men. However it was learned that Nate became a psionic entity and his physical form is technically a faux body that he made for himself that is made from psionic energy. Not sure X-staff gives a damn about that canon though given what happened in New Mutants to nerf him.

your absolutly right but nate gained these powers via an upgrade (The X brand) but then again all it really did was stabilize his powers so that they no longer burned him out. jean has been stated as a very powerful being from the start as to why xavier had to hold back most of her powers giving her limited access to them over time. we already seen how her powers advanced after the power switch between her and Psylocke so yea maybe Jean Jean was capable of this all along but due to her own restrictions due to her experience with the phoenix force held her back from venturing into the higher realms of her telepathy/telekinesis due to fear of releasing the phoenix. either way i said before and ill say again XAVIER HELD JEAN BACK.... WAY BACK!

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@xspectre28 said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

your absolutly right but nate gained these powers via an upgrade (The X brand) but then again all it really did was stabilize his powers so that they no longer burned him out. jean has been stated as a very powerful being from the start as to why xavier had to hold back most of her powers giving her limited access to them over time. we already seen how her powers advanced after the power switch between her and Psylocke so yea maybe Jean Jean was capable of this all along but due to her own restrictions due to her experience with the phoenix force held her back from venturing into the higher realms of her telepathy/telekinesis due to fear of releasing the phoenix. either way i said before and ill say again XAVIER HELD JEAN BACK.... WAY BACK!

The brand only fixed the genetic failsafe that was inside his own DNA like you said. It didn't add anything else. The first time he became a being of energy, it was pre-shaman and it was stated on panel that the form wasn't a power boost, it just was greater awareness/control over what he was already capable of doing. Hell if you read Warren Ellis notes/plans for Nate during Counter X, that brand really would have been a place holder to Nate just using his own powers to undo the failsafe outright. Hell Ellis wanted Nate to do the same thing to save Moira from the Legacy Virus. Nate was already able to do everything Shaman Nate could do, it's just different applications of what he already could do with TP/TK (which he taught himself). And the psionic entity aspect was established back when he recreated Maddie to begin with, and was again done when Onslaught brought himself into reality using a technique he saw Nate do when he ripped Xavier's Astral Self out of the astral plane and into the real world. Nate did all that himself, no boosts, no education.

edit: I wanted to add that Nate did learn a few trick from the Shaman Nate he encounter during Counter X, but again were just different applications of what he was already capable of doing.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epic fail indeed: illogical behavior by Gladiator and Shi'ar, sh!tting all over continuity and what not. The only ones who might enjoy this are JG fans who don't care for quality of their stories.

I think Bendis considers X-fans pretty unintelligent, don't you find?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Epic fail indeed: illogical behavior by Gladiator and Shi'ar, sh!tting all over continuity and what not. The only ones who might enjoy this are JG fans who don't care for quality of their stories.

As a Jean Grey fan i can't see how anyone could approve of this story....It didn't even explain its plot pass "Gladiator is out for Jean Grey". And there's more then a continuity problem when your story is based on the premise that Gladiator doesn't realize his son goes to a school taught by Rachel Grey...who is arguably more connected to the Phoenix then Jean.

I haven't read much of Bendis' other work outside of X-Men to judge whether he thinks were not intelligent, but after reading this arc I'm pretty sure we don't think he is....either that or he's too lazy to google X-Men too figure out what he's supposed to be writing.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@adamtrmm said:

As a Jean Grey fan i can't see how anyone could approve of this story....It didn't even explain its plot pass "Gladiator is out for Jean Grey". And there's more then a continuity problem when your story is based on the premise that Gladiator doesn't realize his son goes to a school taught by Rachel Grey...who is arguably more connected to the Phoenix then Jean.

I haven't read much of Bendis' other work outside of X-Men to judge whether he thinks were not intelligent, but after reading this arc I'm pretty sure we don't think he is....either that or he's too lazy to google X-Men too figure out what he's supposed to be writing.

Yup. The rabid Jean cult followers on CBR had an absolute blast with this story though. The fact that his son is studying in a school named after the person he's trying to kill is just pathetically lazy writing.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Would you be surprised if I told you there are plenty of those who approved that story?

No I think he's pretty intelligent, always taking over everything he wants and I think he learned some X-fan-trolling right after interacting with some of them. I swear X-fans can both best and the worst lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@koays said:

Would you be surprised if I told you there are plenty of those who approved that story?

No I think he's pretty intelligent, always taking over everything he wants and I think he learned some X-fan-trolling right after interacting with some of them. I swear X-fans can both best and the worst lol

I'd be very surprised and extremely disappointed.

Anyone whose ever read a X-Men solicitation knows the art of the troll is a part of the fandom: "This week someones got a gun pointed at Cyclops!!! find out who in this shocking issue of Uncanny X-Men" (The gun was on the floor, and the issue was flashbacks) smh

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.