Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Do you like the O5 as a team?

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Recently I asked the forum how they would return the O5 to their original timeline. I was surprised at how much hate there was for the O5 in the responses.

Often on this form there are topics asking who would you have in your X-Men team if you were starting from scratch. On these topics I have been surprised at how many people still want the team to start as the O5.

So, do you like the O5 as a team? Do you enjoy reading comics about the team or do you only like them as an immutable part of comic lore?

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They're alright, not my favorite lineup, but they're okay. The hate most likely comes from the time traveling bullshit. If they would of brought Jean back to life and then put the O5 back together as the current members, it probably wouldn't receive such a negative reception.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Individually? Yes.

As a team? No, not really. Reading through the Lee/Kirby run was torture.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the first team...Yea they work.

Any time its revisited or looked at from an outsider perspective you realize that a kid shooting lasers out of his eyes and a guy with wings were the best that could be gathered to go up against A man waging war on a military base and winning. And they started something that turned their team into the worlds largest and most powerful super group with an agenda.

They work because their powers, personalities and dynamic are the embodiment of "from humble beginnings".

But those same humble beginnings are why I don't want to read about them today. They are simple and work as they are, but aren't the most interesting X-Men to ever live....and really jumping through hoops and over ledges to MAKE THE O5 MORE INTERESTING, be it by reinventing, updating or adding a gimmick like time travel to it walks a fine line of betraying the very reason the O5 work in their spot in X-Men history. And unfortunately we've crossed that line today with All New.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes. I didn't like the old stories but I did like X-Factor and some of the flashback mini series.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate the time traveling O5 because

A. It was a stupid idea that to bring them to the future that went no where. It was what Bendis hit on his "Shock Factor" bulletin board after the dart he threw cruised right past "Emma Frost falls in love in and marries transgendered Syrian"

B. Instead of being written like time displaced people from the 60s (fishes out of water), they are written like modern day snarky teenagers. They is really no difference in personality from teenage Cyclops and teenage Iceman than there is from characters like Goldballs or Anole.

The original 5 X-Men can be written as a pretty enjoyable team depending on whose writing them. The team has essentially the perfect balance that any team has with Cyclops as the stern leader, Jean as the soul and level head of the group, Angel, as the hot headed what is sometimes considered "Lancer" character, Iceman as the comic relief, and Beast as the brains....Actually, holy shit, I just realized that the original 5 are just essentially the Ninja Turtles if you count April as a fifth member....

While the Lee/Roy Thomas era of X-Men stories were pretty bad, I think it has more to do with the comics back then being extremely outdated.....if you read the X-Men: First Class series by Jeff Parker and Roger Cruz, you''ll find that it is probably one of, if not the the most enjoyable X-Men spin offs to exist that doesn't constantly deal with melodrama and "muh oppression"...it's pretty great and the team is very likable. I highly recommend it if you are an X-Men fan by the way.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By kcomicfan

As a team I like the O5.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The O5 are pretty cool. I also like what Parker did with them. I hate the current iteration of them though. The time travel bs is part of the problem with them. And I agree about the way they ware written not to mention the liberties that were taken with the characters. As a team the original X-men are OK and a decent part of history but this current version needs to go away

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're alright when they're in their timeline. They have distinct personalities, but then some of their powers are subpar which doesn't always make them the most fun to watch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.