Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Did House of M Have a Real Purpose?

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheLurker

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the whole "No more Mutants" storyline was. I never got around to reading it. Was Marvel a little fed up with all of the mutants they had running around? Or was it just needless Scarlet Witch power-trip ? I'm curious because I've read A vs X and several other Hope Summers comics, and no one seems to state why most mutants lost their powers, only that it happened. I just want to know if there was an editorial reason behind the disappearance of so many characters?

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because there were too many of them and M Day did two things:

1. Cut down on the amount of active X-Men, so that new readers wouldn't get confused by how many there are.

2. It created a huge problem and problems for mutants sells. It made them feel like they were and are alone. It even got to the point where Magneto had to join the X-Men, because of the lack of mutants.

Also, a lot of the depowered mutants died, so that even when it does get undone (like it is now), a bit of it still sticks with the comic.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd say it had a pretty big influence on the X books.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, isn't it pretty much the/a huge cause for the reboot?

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It did

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) lowered the amount of mutants in the Marvel Universe to shift the attention from mutants back to the Avengers

2) gave a view of the Marvel U from a mutant stand-point where mutants lived in "Peaceful coexistence" with humans but as the dominate race

3) set Cyclops up to become a more involved leader of not only the X-men but to build him up to his current status as revolutionary, defender of mutant race.

4) created new characters: Layla Miller, Vulcan, Darwin, Sway (Brief), Petra (Brief), & more.

overall i feel it was the first push to lessen the X-men/Mutants influence of the Marvel Universe

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally, I don't think the problem is "too many mutants".

I think the problem is "too many books".

Seriously. Do we really need a dozen X titles out?

Keep the mutants, reduce the total titles.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Koays

@cutter said:

How about keep the titles and increase the quality of books....

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cutter: music to my ears. I say improve the quality of the books. Instead of a dozen out there just release a few more often. No rule says it has to be monthly right? Drop all these solos for one. So many books waters down the product

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i agree, even thou the avengers are supposedly the Main team of Marvel they have been bottom feeding off of X-men, FF, & Spiderman for years... i mean why else would Avengers need Prominent members from the X-men, the whole FF, & Spiderman to join their ranks

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@cutter said:

How about keep the titles and increase the quality of books....

One could only hope...

Now if they could just work on that pesky continuity thing...

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@cutter: music to my ears. I say improve the quality of the books. Instead of a dozen out there just release a few more often. No rule says it has to be monthly right? Drop all these solos for one. So many books waters down the product

Jejejeje, agree....just leave Magneto alone! lol

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think eliminating mutants was stupid. I say why not give some developments to those already created instead of creating new ones without giving any developments at all.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought it was because marvel didnt want fox to use more mutants in there movies so they cut them short. plus it was the greatest idea bendis had

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought it was because marvel didnt want fox to use more mutants in there movies so they cut them short. plus it was the greatest idea bendis had

This was before the MCU was even on the drawing board.

One story I've heard about it was that it was Marvel's way of getting back at Grant Morrison after he left them for DC.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

One story I've heard about it was that it was Marvel's way of getting back at Grant Morrison after he left them for DC.

really? Never heard of it. although doesnt morrison have a grudge on marvel for changing his stories from x-men. also morrison said he would never work for marvel again

never saw you in a while. How are you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

really? Never heard of it. although doesnt morrison have a grudge on marvel for changing his stories from x-men. also morrison said he would never work for marvel again

I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm doing fine. I actually have a birthday coming up in a few weeks.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: oh cool. happy early birthday :)

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

NO MORE HOUSE OF M

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I'm doing fine. I actually have a birthday coming up in a few weeks.

Funny, because my birthday is today!

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the answers.

So mutants were seeping into every other comic or something?

I didn't know that the X-men were more prominent than the Avengers at one point. When was this, the 90s?

@takeshi55: Happy Birthday!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Yes, its ultimate purpose was to make money. You know, because Marvel is a business, and that's what businesses strive to do.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheLurker

@squares: No................ Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: No................ Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...yes way? Not sure where you're going with this.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Sorry. Just joking around. I knew that whatever the purpose for HoM was , money would of course be the ultimate goal. I was just asking those who read it if there was a motive within the MU that prompted the event.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelurker: Possibly culling the utterly out of control mutant populace?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By HAWK2916

@xwraith said:

Morrison never working for marvel again would be the greatest thing literally since sliced bread. lol. Morrison having a grudge..please, he's lucky they didnt shoot him after some of the crap he wrote

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel had an overdose of mutants on their hands.

Plus, who doesn't like a cool alt timeline story.

Avatar image for shadowofthelight
    ShadowoftheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutter said:

Whew! You got that right, dude. Man, it's just too much. At the risk of using a cliche, "Back in my day" we had Uncanny X-Men. When it hit the shelf it was special. It was an event. New Mutants came along and was different, but changed into the same stuff. Then they added X-Factor and diluted the franchise. It only got worse and worse.

Anyone remember that first Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries? Man, nothing has been done any better since. Wolverine was good in those days and he was rare.

X-Men continutity was challenging enough with only Uncanny. I can barely follow it these days. Astonishing was great. Adjective-less X-Men is okay. Uncanny is a shambles.

Too much books just want to make you quit, especially when you can't afford all of them.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to agree with the guy who said there where just to many books was the problem. For some reason it seemed mutants could only fight other mutants. Instead of the X-Men running into the Masters of Evil they keep running into other bad mutants.

This does have me worried. One of the few X-books I got was New X-Men. Mostly because I thought it would be interesting to see a school drama type book with mutants. Granted the book isn't that, but with the reboot it looks like I'll be missing out on some of the interesting characters they've made in that book, especially the new Hellions group, and now it's got no hope of becoming better with the drama aspect.

If they are going to explain some characters as non-mutants now that's fine, but seems to be an easy cop out to me to keep some around that they feel should be axed.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thelurker: I didn't know that the X-men were more prominent than the Avengers at one point. When was this, the 90s?

Yes. X-Men dominated the sales during the 90's and X-Men #1 is still the best selling comic book of all time. The Avengers only got big after Civil War and exploded with the movies.

Draksis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't see why depowered all the mutants when all they needed was development. I really miss some characters that have been forgotten. Seriously, too many books is something I can't really afford. Did you guys saw all the comics that's coming out next week on the 19th? I really would has to starve in order to get them all. Marvel need to stop making too much books when all they need to do is move the mutants around to other current books. Is how they will develop. But diminished them so then create more? How pointless and a waste of characters.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, HOM was Bendis' event, event that affected the books Bendis wasn't even writing back then. I wonder if now that he does write the X-books, he will try to revisit or refer to it from his own POV, even now that all is said and done.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind to many book lol. I mean, I can afford them, but I understand for other people who can't. And yes it does seem to much to buy.

Eliminating many mutants was a bad move. I really miss most of them. I agree about keeping them and give them some stretch. I would love to see the X men running into the Master of Evil. How cool this would be. I think is a good idea since X men has no one to fight, so instead fighting each other they can bump to other villains like Master of Evil of even some Spiderman's villains. Spiderman alone has so many villains so why not do that? Something new to see.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole "No More Mutants" thing was so ridiculous. All just to get rid of some mutants. Couldn't Bendis or any other writers come up with a better plan? How about throwing in Katrina and have a good twister death? Or just let it vanish with no trace like many other writers forgot about other mutants? Well no, Wanda has to be the victim.

And yes, too many damn books out at once. Like if we don't buy DC, Image, Top Cow, or any other comic company but Marvel.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a massive PUSH to promote avengers.it didn't mean a thing when it was corrected by the PHOENIX FORCE. jean grey answered scarlet witch's NO MORE mutants and no more PHOENIX with here are more mutants BITCH!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.