Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Character Rehab - Jubilee Edition

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jubilee tends to be one of those characters that are only looked fondly by long time X-Men readers. Likely because her heyday was during the 90's when she was central to both the X-books and the very good for it's time animated series. Since then, well, the years have not been kind to her to say the least. After the cancellation of Generation X she spent years in comic limbo, only to be brought back to be turned into a vampire in a transparent and lame attempt to suck on the teat of the Twilight craze.

What direction would you like to see her taken in?

MSzekeresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By MSzekeresh

You were right not to mention her terrible de-powered run as Wondra in the New Warriors. I would like to see her acting as some sort of instructor for mutants.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DarkxSeraph

We will see, since she's in the upcoming all female X-Men book.

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DurararaFTW

Wood's got the right idea, don't instantly fix the vampire thing, don't let it rule her character, reestablish her relationships with the other X-Men rather then go for the cheap Wolverine teamup, I think she's in good hands.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

Make her a regular, non-vampire mutant again. Give her the powerboost she was hinted at possessing in the Phalanx Covenant. Maybe take her in the direction of a female Booster Gold - a fun, wise-cracking heroine who rather than being angsty wants to make the biggest, most dramatic entrance yet and uploads scenes of her (heavily edited and music supported) fights to YouTube since she is one of the younger members. Bump up her ward robe, too.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By lorex

With Jubilee its a case of writers championing certain characters and with such a large cast of characters in the X-Men it is easy for a few to get lost in the mix. After Generation-X Jubilee had no clear place and did not reall get used properly. I think the worst thing done to the character was for her to loose her powers in the first place, I won't get into how much I hate the Decimation. She was effectively rendered usless and was shunted far into the background. The whole Vampire thing as OP said was a blatent attempt to leech attention from the vampire craze sweeping the world. Jubilee is in desperate need of a character rehab and I just hope it is not some quick and easy fix but a gradual transformation and character development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Make her a regular, non-vampire mutant again. Give her the powerboost she was hinted at possessing in the Phalanx Covenant. Maybe take her in the direction of a female Booster Gold - a fun, wise-cracking heroine who rather than being angsty wants to make the biggest, most dramatic entrance yet and uploads scenes of her (heavily edited and music supported) fights to YouTube since she is one of the younger members. Bump up her ward robe, too.

1 - I may not agree with your direction, but I like the fact that it is a really outside-the-box concept, but it feels like she would be too close to a Dazzler Jr. As for a power boost, Even though she has always been the kid of the X-Men and even Gen X, she has shown leadership potential and a team player so going the diva route is not a good fit IMO.

2 - I always like the gradual route over the sudden one, but her abilities have had almost zero development over all the years and would make sense for some kind of improvement by now.

3 - The vampire thing has to go, its pretty obvious by now that almost nobody is into it and all it does is turn off long time fans

4 - She is not a 13 year old mallrat runaway anymore, I would think her costume fashion sense would not revolve around yellow coats anymore either.

@MSzekeresh said:

You were right not to mention her terrible de-powered run as Wondra in the New Warriors. I would like to see her acting as some sort of instructor for mutants.

That entire run of New Warriors was actually a pretty good concept (what do depowered mutants do to get back in the game) but the series was pretty poor. Jubilee was lumped in with a bunch of former X-kids that were among the lowest in popularity and that did not help the run at all.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eeshaan1685

lol damn man. I seem to have mised the part where they made Jubilee into a Vampire. HAHAHAHAHA. Who the hell came up with that idea lol.

Best to make her the classic Jubilee again.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@Brazen_Intellect: Yeah, that's why I liked that image I found. The yellow corset and choker nudged her in a more mature direction.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By judasnixon

I'm more than sure that Brian Wood will make Jubilee get her groove back. I'm just asking if they can scrape that dumb ass yellow raincoat and generic black catsuit and give her a real costume. That's all I ask...... and maybe unvampire her at some point. No rush Mr. Wood, I trust you're judgement......

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane

She's a Vampire now and its an Editorial move that saved her from extermination because no other writer was going to touch on the character's whereabouts after that Nation X issue. Wood even explicitly said he's not going to revolve around the Vampness where her character is concerned, he'll just write her with the powers, so i don't see what people are getting their panties twisted in a bunch for.

Having her lose the Vampire quality in exchange for classic Jubilee could potentially shift her back into that lil mall-rat with nowhere to go archetype and that's exactly why, as others have stated, she had no place whatsoever in the X-Verse after Generation X had ended. Because she was looked at like a running gag, a silly joke that future writers needn't bother developing. Being a Vampire she's actually evolved from her Gen-X days and is in a different place now, regardless of if people like it due to the nostalgia, it's better for the character.

She'd never be taken seriously with powers/personality/history like that, not in this day and age, no matter how powerful she'd become.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By judasnixon
    @AgeofHurricane: Yeah I read that Brian Wood wasn't going to change the vampire thing from Jubilee. I have no doubt that Wood has a good handle on Jubilee's character. I really want to see where Brian Wood will take her as a character from the last time he wrote her over fifteen years ago in Gen. X. The last thing I think anyone wants is to see her revert back to the one dimensional mall-rat. The vampire thing is just my stupid little nitpick. I live in New Orleans, you know how many people think they are $%#@ing vampires over here? It's retarded, I blame Ann Rice.....
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@judasnixon: And iii bllaaaame Twilight.

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DurararaFTW

@judasnixon said:

I'm more than sure that Brian Wood will make Jubilee get her groove back. I'm just asking if they can scrape that dumb ass yellow raincoat and generic black catsuit and give her a real costume. That's all I ask...... and maybe unvampire her at some point. No rush Mr. Wood, I trust you're judgement......

Wood ain't putting her in a generic catsuit, she and Rogue actually seem to be wearing loose clothing.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By dangallant984

I get that the decision to make her into a vampire was editorial, and based on some pretty crappy fads, but I've never watched any of the trendy vampire shows, so I still think it's cool.

To me, Jubilee is a super cartoony character anyway, so I sort of like that she ends up being the embodiment of the most absurd aspects of the X-men's history. The vampire thing falls into that, plus it makes her a little more distinct and gives her cool powers; to me, it's kind of a perfect fit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dangallant984 said:

I get that the decision to make her into a vampire was editorial, and based on some pretty crappy fads, but I've never watched any of the trendy vampire shows, so I still think it's cool.

To me, Jubilee is a super cartoony character anyway, so I sort of like that she ends up being the embodiment of the most absurd aspects of the X-men's history. The vampire thing falls into that, plus it makes her a little more distinct and gives her cool powers; to me, it's kind of a perfect fit.

If you look at her only as she was portrayed in the animated series, I can see your point. Having read the issues since her first appearance way back in the 90's I disagree on her being a cartoony character. At the core Jubilee was the replacement for Shadowcat as the "kid X-Man" that the readers could relate to after Kitty aged and moved on to Excalibur. She spent so much time in limbo before being aged and reintroduced recently that no one ever bothered to expand her powers (which were lame on purpose because she was 13 and just got her powers at the time).

I dislike the vampire aspect because:

1 - It was an obvious marketing ploy, and not even a very good one.

2 - They have done almost nothing with it outside of a a mini whose repercussions are practically forgotten going forward

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Brazen_Intellect: Read Gischler's run of Adjectiveless X-Men till issue 27, then tune in again for Brian Wood's relaunch, also read a segment of Liu's X-23. They're doing things, alright.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Brazen_Intellect: Read Gischler's run of Adjectiveless X-Men till issue 27, then tune in again for Brian Wood's relaunch, also read a segment of Liu's X-23. They're doing things, alright.

I have read most of what your talking about, they are just starting to really use her again, but still nowhere near the point to overcome the years of limbo. I can't give them credit for the new series until it comes out and we can see if it's any good and/or if it lasts.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dangallant984

@Brazen_Intellect said:

If you look at her only as she was portrayed in the animated series, I can see your point. Having read the issues since her first appearance way back in the 90's I disagree on her being a cartoony character. At the core Jubilee was the replacement for Shadowcat as the "kid X-Man" that the readers could relate to after Kitty aged and moved on to Excalibur. She spent so much time in limbo before being aged and reintroduced recently that no one ever bothered to expand her powers (which were lame on purpose because she was 13 and just got her powers at the time).

2 - They have done almost nothing with it outside of a a mini whose repercussions are practically forgotten going forward

I've read the stories from when she hooked up with the X-men in the outback and ran around fighting ninjas with Wolverine (a recurring right of passage for young X-men, it seems) and all of the time she spent with the team in the 90's, and I will still always think of her as cartoony. Also, I found her to be far more based on Robin (from Dark Knight Returns) than Kitty. Also, Kitty hadn't "aged and moved on" so much when she left to join Excaliber; she was seriously injured in the 'Massacre and by the time she got better, she thought the X-men were dead. She was still only 16.

of course, you are free to your opinion, but about your two points there:

1- I don't think it was any worse than the X-men fighting the Brood when Alien came out, or Nimrod when the Terminator came out; lots of X-men stories borrow from popular culture (especially Claremont), and vampires may have been popular at the time, but stories about vampires predate the English language! I actually think it would be worse for them to go back on the whole vampire thing now that it's not trendy.

2- well, yeah, there was that mini series, and her time with Storm's team during Wood's run on X-men; she was sort of the main character through much of that, and she hasn't really been properly in limbo since then, as we were at least given an explanation of what she's up to (learning how to control her vampirism). So, I'm actually kind of excited to see where Wood's going to take that stuff when he reintroduces her.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lykopis

@AgeofHurricane said:

She's a Vampire now and its an Editorial move that saved her from extermination because no other writer was going to touch on the character's whereabouts after that Nation X issue. Wood even explicitly said he's not going to revolve around the Vampness where her character is concerned, he'll just write her with the powers, so i don't see what people are getting their panties twisted in a bunch for.

Having her lose the Vampire quality in exchange for classic Jubilee could potentially shift her back into that lil mall-rat with nowhere to go archetype and that's exactly why, as others have stated, she had no place whatsoever in the X-Verse after Generation X had ended. Because she was looked at like a running gag, a silly joke that future writers needn't bother developing. Being a Vampire she's actually evolved from her Gen-X days and is in a different place now, regardless of if people like it due to the nostalgia, it's better for the character.

She'd never be taken seriously with powers/personality/history like that, not in this day and age, no matter how powerful she'd become.

I am more in line with this take on the character.

I am a long time fan of the X-Men and I have read every issue they've pumped out so my take on Jubilee might not be in line with most X-fans because I really enjoy the character. One of the most moving things I have ever read in comics was her reaction to Illyana's death -- it was intricate and very, very well done considering the short time she had spent with the younger girl. She gave some humanity to the X-group and was someone who could pull the X-Men together. I will always see her as a breath of fresh air -- not a gag character -- why does every character in comics need to have extremely powerful power-sets to be taken seriously? I like gum bubbles and I like pink gloves and I like yellow trench coats.

Also -- her mini with Wolverine exploring her vampire side I really enjoyed so I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By satyrgod
    @Brazen_Intellect: @PhoenixoftheTides said:

1 - I may not agree with your direction, but I like the fact that it is a really outside-the-box concept, but it feels like she would be too close to a Dazzler Jr. As for a power boost, Even though she has always been the kid of the X-Men and even Gen X, she has shown leadership potential and a team player so going the diva route is not a good fit IMO.

2 - I always like the gradual route over the sudden one, but her abilities have had almost zero development over all the years and would make sense for some kind of improvement by now.

3 - The vampire thing has to go, its pretty obvious by now that almost nobody is into it and all it does is turn off long time fans

4 - She is not a 13 year old mallrat runaway anymore, I would think her costume fashion sense would not revolve around yellow coats anymore either.

Couldn't agree more.  I hated her as the gum-chomping, firecracker sidekick Boy Wonder in drag.  Change her or kill her off.  Permanently.

Avatar image for storm_ultimatebadass
    Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod said:

@Brazen_Intellect: @PhoenixoftheTides said:

Couldn't agree more. I hated her as the gum-chomping, firecracker sidekick Boy Wonder in drag. Change her or kill her off. Permanently.

I agree its apart of me that wants her to get her original powers back, but as you said it just be like a Dazzler Jr there powers are very similar. I do hate the vampire thing and i use to love jubillee. maybe if they give her a secondary mutation like they did Emma and def need to upgrade her wardrobe sex it up just a little espiecally if there gonna continue with the vampire thing.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dangallant984

@lykopis said:

I am a long time fan of the X-Men and I have read every issue they've pumped out so my take on Jubilee might not be in line with most X-fans because I really enjoy the character. One of the most moving things I have ever read in comics was her reaction to Illyana's death -- it was intricate and very, very well done considering the short time she had spent with the younger girl. She gave some humanity to the X-group and was someone who could pull the X-Men together. I will always see her as a breath of fresh air -- not a gag character -- why does every character in comics need to have extremely powerful power-sets to be taken seriously? I like gum bubbles and I like pink gloves and I like yellow trench coats.

Also -- her mini with Wolverine exploring her vampire side I really enjoyed so I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Scott Lobdell (the writer of Uncanny' and Gen.X) was definitely the writer to make the most out of her character; besides the issue you just mentioned (304), there was that good epilogue story to X-cutioner's Song where she went roller-blading with Prof.X (if it sounds like I'm making fun of it, I'm not, it was a really solid issue), her coming of age story in the Phalanx Convent, and her central role in the beginning of Generation X. She was actually the main character for many of his best stories.

Of course, in the 4 or 5 years between the end of the New Mutants and the beginning of Generation X, she was the only actual teenager in any of the books (although technically Kitty and the New Mutants still were, they weren't really written as such at the time),which probably made it easier to give her more focus than the kids get today. And, since her character was developed alongside the actual X-men, she had a little more cred going into Gen.X than most characters get in the beginning of a new teen book. In a way, it really was her presence that gave credibility to Generation X as a (spin-off) book that was actually central to the X-men mythos.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dangallant984 said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

I've read the stories from when she hooked up with the X-men in the outback and ran around fighting ninjas with Wolverine (a recurring right of passage for young X-men, it seems) and all of the time she spent with the team in the 90's, and I will still always think of her as cartoony. Also, I found her to be far more based on Robin (from Dark Knight Returns) than Kitty. Also, Kitty hadn't "aged and moved on" so much when she left to join Excaliber; she was seriously injured in the 'Massacre and by the time she got better, she thought the X-men were dead. She was still only 16.

of course, you are free to your opinion, but about your two points there:

1- I don't think it was any worse than the X-men fighting the Brood when Alien came out, or Nimrod when the Terminator came out; lots of X-men stories borrow from popular culture (especially Claremont), and vampires may have been popular at the time, but stories about vampires predate the English language! I actually think it would be worse for them to go back on the whole vampire thing now that it's not trendy.

2- well, yeah, there was that mini series, and her time with Storm's team during Wood's run on X-men; she was sort of the main character through much of that, and she hasn't really been properly in limbo since then, as we were at least given an explanation of what she's up to (learning how to control her vampirism). So, I'm actually kind of excited to see where Wood's going to take that stuff when he reintroduces her.

1 - I am not saying her character is based off of Kitty, only that her role was to replace her as Wolverine's sidekick and the kid X-Man. Marvel wanted to move on Shadowcat from that role as you can only keep her the kid for so long no matter how much you age them in comic time.

2 - The difference is that the Brood and Nimrod had an actual impact on the X-Men, if they had taken the vampire angle somewhere, anywhere I would not react so negatively. If there is a plan it must be a long term one because I am nnot impressed with what I have seen so far.

3 - If Wood takes the vampire thing into a direction that makes sense and actually grows her character, I'm all for it, but at this point I'm very skeptical on the matter.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Selina_Sublime

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@MSzekeresh said:

That entire run of New Warriors was actually a pretty good concept (what do depowered mutants do to get back in the game) but the series was pretty poor. Jubilee was lumped in with a bunch of former X-kids that were among the lowest in popularity and that did not help the run at all.

I love it. She is really rocking the same outfit and same attitude as she was when her student group was the focus. I'd love for her to get her powers back and/or play political angles for former mutants.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dangallant984

@Brazen_Intellect said:

1 - I am not saying her character is based off of Kitty, only that her role was to replace her as Wolverine's sidekick and the kid X-Man. Marvel wanted to move on Shadowcat from that role as you can only keep her the kid for so long no matter how much you age them in comic time.

2 - The difference is that the Brood and Nimrod had an actual impact on the X-Men, if they had taken the vampire angle somewhere, anywhere I would not react so negatively. If there is a plan it must be a long term one because I am nnot impressed with what I have seen so far.

3 - If Wood takes the vampire thing into a direction that makes sense and actually grows her character, I'm all for it, but at this point I'm very skeptical on the matter.

1- okay, sure. Though, in all fairness to Kitty, when she was "Wolverine's sidekick", she was more of a main character in the book than he was, and he treated her as an equal, despite her age, so I don't really think the term "sidekick" applies in her case.

2- fair enough.

3- I can see that.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lykopis

@dangallant984 said:

@lykopis said:

Scott Lobdell (the writer of Uncanny' and Gen.X) was definitely the writer to make the most out of her character; besides the issue you just mentioned (304), there was that good epilogue story to X-cutioner's Song where she went roller-blading with Prof.X (if it sounds like I'm making fun of it, I'm not, it was a really solid issue), her coming of age story in the Phalanx Convent, and her central role in the beginning of Generation X. She was actually the main character for many of his best stories.

Of course, in the 4 or 5 years between the end of the New Mutants and the beginning of Generation X, she was the only actual teenager in any of the books (although technically Kitty and the New Mutants still were, they weren't really written as such at the time),which probably made it easier to give her more focus than the kids get today. And, since her character was developed alongside the actual X-men, she had a little more cred going into Gen.X than most characters get in the beginning of a new teen book. In a way, it really was her presence that gave credibility to Generation X as a (spin-off) book that was actually central to the X-men mythos.

I agree. I really enjoyed Generation X and seeing her in a position opposite to what she was in terms of the X-Men team was great to see.

Thank you for your insight, I agree absolutely and again, love seeing a X-Men fan such as yourself put out some knowledgeable posts.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dangallant984

@lykopis: my pleasure.

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

It's kind of funny that you mention that because I would say that the worst part of Jim Lee's writing/character design was that he had a bad habit of making redundant characters. For example, there was already an Asian woman on the cast that had very little development (Karma), yet he felt the need to make Psylocke go through an over-complicated turn of events to become (yet another) ninja on the team. At the same time, there was already a flashy, light using mutant on the team (Dazzler), yet he felt the need to write her out and replace her with another light producing (technically they were light energy plasmoids) mutant with a similar penchant for pop culture and shopping. At the end of the day, Jubilee was created to be more of a Wolverine fan and not enough was done to make her stand out besides constantly reference how young she was or use her as comic relief.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Lol.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chasereis

@PhoenixoftheTides: Damn, I forgot ALL about that. That was implicitly stated she was underutilizing her ability. Nice one phoenix...muy props.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.