Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Catching up with X-Men and need help

jayk527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I collected X-Men and Uncanny X-Men religiously in the early 90s. I got as far as the fatal attractions series before quitting the hobby. I want to get back into it and have been downloading comics on the ComicsX app, but there are so many titles now and not every issue is available. I want to read the major story lines in order, but also don't want to waste my time. I just reread the X-Cutioners Song story arc and remember a lot of it from when I originally read it. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

jayk527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Ok check out one of my lists, It's called X-Meb recommendations, it's a list of major story arcs. if you just want to get back into comics now, then start reading the main x-titles, All new X-Men and uncanny X-Men. Go on marvel website to check out the current X-Men titles.

Past titles you should read is

New X-Men(Grant Morrison)

X-treme X-Men ( chris Claremont)

Kyle and Yost X-Force.

Uncanny X-Force( Rick )

Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men.

Any questions pm me.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@jayk527: It really depends on how thorough you want to be with your catching up.

I don't highly recommend anything from the late 90's after where you left off. After Fatal Attractions, neither of the main X-men books had very many good stories until X-men became new X-men in 2001 (Grant Morrison's run). The first few arcs of that are pretty interesting, say, 114-138, but it's a bit inconsistent and not very good after that point.

Uncanny X-men was all over the place for years, but Claremont's second return to the series (issues 444-474) was a pretty fun, old-school run with some new twists, although it did taper off after Alan Davis left. After that that, it's X-men in space until issue 487, which I don't recommend at all. From about 495-544(the last issue of the series) is decent, but inconsistent.

Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-men (from 2004) was really, really good, in my opinion. I highly recommend all 24 issues (plus Giant Size AXM #1, the epic conclusion) of that run.

House of M (from 2005) is a pretty good MU crossover book, the ramifications of which have been effecting X-men stories ever since, so I'd recommend that for sure.

The second volume of Uncanny X-men that came out last year (UXM, vol.2, 1-20) was pretty disappointing, but the first and last arcs are pretty relevant. More than half of that series was basically leading up to or crossing over with the AvsX series (1-12), which wasn't very good, but you still might want to read for it's relevance to the current state of things. The AvsX: Consequences mini-series (1-6), on the other hand, was quite good and I do recommend it. The most recent volume of Uncanny X-men (vol.3, 2013) is up to issue 5, and so far it's pretty good.

I dunno, that's a lot, and I could think of more, but I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

oh, and welcome back to the X-men!

jayk527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jayk527

Thanks fellas! I will do some looking into those series, issues, and story lines. I really appreciate it!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@jayk527: no problem, hope you have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.