Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Can Elixir Heal Cyclops?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#1  Edited By cbishop

If Elixir can do something like healing Wolfesbane, so that she gets her powers back, could he heal the head trauma that caused Scott Summers to lose control of his optic blasts? Doesn't it seem likely that Scott would pursue such an option, in the interest of safety, and being able to look at someone without the tint of red all the time? He could still wear the ruby quartz glasses as a "just in case" measure, if Marvel wanted to preserve that look, but why wouldn't he ask Elixir to heal him, if he had the opportunity?

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

that's a very interesting question 
    and in many alternate futures, he's had full control of his powers 
    so maybe 
    may be
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Maybe I always thought of it being more psychological than physical.
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By blade hunter
    @Jake Fury said:
    " Maybe I always thought of it being more psychological than physical. "
    i think it is because did'nt emma stop them for some time?
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By John Valentine

It's psychological, not physical.

redbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By redbull

So why can't Emma help him.

Aerock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Aerock
    @redbull: Emma probably likes exerting power over Scott...
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MrMiracle77

If nothing else, the visor allows him to modulate his beams with more precision than his eyelids.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cbishop

Okay, I'll be honest: I wasn't sure whether Scott's lack of control was physical or mental, so I went to the character page here on CV.  According to that information (and if it's wrong, someone fix it, because my roomie's browser isn't compatible with CV's edit functions) Scott's lack of control is a physical problem, due to brain damage as a child.  If that's the case, Elixir's power's should be able to help. 

Also, being healed so he doesn't blast stuff every time he opens his eyes doesn't mean it does away with the visor or glasses.  He could still choose to wear the visor for greater control, as MrMiracle77 said, and as sort of a tactical advantage - wouldn't villains be surprised when they deprive him of his visor to incapacitate him, and he's still in control? 

He could still choose to wear the glasses strictly out of a sense of safety - a "just in case" measure.  The reasoning being if he were attacked and/or injured somehow, he might reflexively let his blasts out, and the quartz glasses would stop them.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

If you had Cyclops without the visor, then he looses his iconic appearance.  Nobody actually wants Cyclops to fully control his powers.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop
    @xerox-kitty:
    Well, I guess that's what I'm wondering about.  Being "Cyclops" is all about him not having control of his optic blasts.  But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense with a healer on the team now.  Do you think they'll address it at some point?  Give a reason why he doesn't want to let Elixir heal him, or something like that?
    rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rbysjti
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " If you had Cyclops without the visor, then he looses his iconic appearance.  Nobody actually wants Cyclops to fully control his powers. "
    Good point! Yeah I prefer him not being able to control his powers fully.
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Legacy_

Shouldn't cyclops power rip through his eye lids?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cbishop
    @Closure said:
    "Shouldn't cyclops power rip through his eye lids? "

Y'know, I was wondering the same thing, as I typed up this topic.  They've always shown that his eyes closed stop the beams though. 

Let's see...uh...part of his...mutation...is that his skin...acts like a...uh...energy dampner... or maybe like a solar cell collecting solar energy - it absorbs it and channels it back into his body.  Sort of the same way his body is immune to his brother's energy powers.  Hm? How's that? lol  ;^/
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Icon
    @Closure said:
    " Shouldn't cyclops power rip through his eye lids? "
    No because he naturally absorbs that energy all the time. It can't harm himself. He just can't stop himself from releasing that energy when his eyes are open. 
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By roadbuster

It would end up being like Professor Xavier's flip-flopping wheelchair / walking status... even if Cyclops got healed, it would be just a matter of time before a creator caused some "irreversible" condition that forced Scott back into the visor... until the next guy figured out a way to get around that... and so on.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @cbishop:@Icon: 

Actually the theory is his eyes open a dimensional portal where the solar energy is stored and  released. If the power came from his eyes then their would be push back from the force of his blasts and he'd knock his own head off from sheer force.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Metatron_Da_Don: Is this your theory? I've never heard anything but that he constantly absorbs and stores ambient solar energy and channels it through his nervous system and out his eyes. His mutant body is equipped to withstand the force it produces.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    He can, because he repaired David Alleyne's retina so he could see again. But that's not the point as Xerox points out here...
    @xerox-kitty said:

" If you had Cyclops without the visor, then he looses his iconic appearance.  Nobody actually wants Cyclops to fully control his powers. "

Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @Thunderscream:  no I remember reading it on Marvel's website a couple years ago, its basically the mainstream explanation now, but I will have to check the handbook though.

Here's wiki though: "Modern accounts state that Cyclops' eyes contain inter-dimensional apertures, releasing powerful energies from another dimension into his own via the beams. These later accounts state that his body naturally metabolizes ambient energy that is used to open and focus the apertures in his eyes. The energy of the beam itself originates from this other dimension."
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By karrob
    Everyone here is correct. They just retconned the lack of control during the Astonishing X-Men run.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cbishop
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " He can, because he repaired David Alleyne's retina so he could see again. But that's not the point as Xerox points out here...
    @xerox-kitty said:

"

@Mainline said:
    "It would end up being like Professor Xavier's flip-flopping wheelchair / walking status... even if Cyclops got healed, it would be just a matter of time before a creator caused some "irreversible" condition that forced Scott back into the visor... until the next guy figured out a way to get around that... and so on. "

I have found that Xerox-Kitty is usually right. ;)  Mainline just reemphasize's that point - someone would undo it, even if he did get healed.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demas

Speaking of Xavier... is he walking or not right now?

Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @Demas:  yes he is
    Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mistersarcastic
    @Metatron_Da_Don:  I remember reading the same thing, except I think it may have been on Marvel Database/Marvel Wikia
    virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By virgin4life

he'd have to change his name to Biclops

Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @virgin4life: or Basilisk
    dstorres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By dstorres
    @cbishop:   To add my 2 cents... Yes he could.  Once upon a time Scott was healed by his 1st wife Madelyne Pryor who had been given healing powers (X-Men Alpha Flight 2 part story).  His eyes are blue by the way.
    So if it could be done there, Omega level Elixir should have no problem.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cbishop
    @dstorres: Ah, excellent info! ...But, proves Xerox-Kitty's point that they would find a way to undo it, because we don't really want Cyclops in control of his powers.
    Avatar image for hurricanepanther
    HurricanePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HurricanePanther

in Astonishing those aliens did something to him that caused him to have a bit of control over his powers but they couldn't be kept under control for long so Emma had to "interfere"

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#31  Edited By thatlad

Forget healing Scott, why can't elixir  

Heal Hellion's hands 
    Karma's Leg 
    he can regrow limbs, he kept having to regrow the bits of Vanisher that X-23 kept chopping off in X-Force and the arm Blink took off in Necrosha not forgetting Prodigy's heart in New X-men 

Jubilee's Vampirism (he can heal the Legacy virus and they're treating Vampirism like a virus in the book) 

Turn the X-Gene dormant for all those mutants who physically struggle with their mutation due to the physical problems or even take away the X-Gene from those who pose a danger??? 

I mean taking a step back we also need to know WHERE IS ELIXIR????????????? 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32  Edited By SC  Moderator

No, unfortunately that burning sensation will never go away, which is both the ultimate lesson and ultimate irony considering what people say about how his uniform looks like on him. 

XFan4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XFan4Eva

They can clone entire human bodies, travel through time, lift mountains with their thoughts, engineer powerful weapons and body armor, .... BUT!...

They can't fix Xaviers spine or Cyclops' control over his powers?????
    Yeah ok that's where all the technology in the Marvel universe is unusable that makes sense.

The beloved Phoenix can alter reality but her selfish ass has yet to fix that???

REALLY???

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @XFan4Eva: Xavier is walking around again.

Cyke's uncontrolled power is psychological, or at this point in time a ruse.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@xerox-kitty said:

It's true. Even Cyclops stopped whining about the whole 'I can't take off my glasses' thing a looong time ago.

@Metatron_Da_Don said:

" @Thunderscream:  no I remember reading it on Marvel's website a couple years ago, its basically the mainstream explanation now, but I will have to check the handbook though.  Here's wiki though: "Modern accounts state that Cyclops' eyes contain inter-dimensional apertures, releasing powerful energies from another dimension into his own via the beams. These later accounts state that his body naturally metabolizes ambient energy that is used to open and focus the apertures in his eyes. The energy of the beam itself originates from this other dimension." "

Whoa, really? I remember reading a really early explanation of Cyclops' powers, and they stated they were somehow based on solar energy, which would almost make sense.
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By muhabba

In the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men, it's revealed that Cyclops can't control his powers because of a psychological problem.  He's using the head injury as a excuse.  He's so uptight that he needs a psychological release of something he can't control.  That's his excuse.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @SC said:
    " No, unfortunately that burning sensation will never go away, which is both the ultimate lesson and ultimate irony considering what people say about how his uniform looks like on him.  "

krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By krisis
    @muhabba said:
    " In the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men, it's revealed that Cyclops can't control his powers because of a psychological problem.  He's using the head injury as a excuse.  He's so uptight that he needs a psychological release of something he can't control.  That's his excuse. "
    I was really happy with that retcon, because it's the best of both explanations. If Elixir (or anyone) healed Scott's physical brain damage, he wouldn't necessarily be able to shirk the psychological issue. Meanwhile, even if he completely eliminated the psychological issue, there would always be the threat of his physiological condition causing him to lose control. 

Ultimately, even the combination of Elixir and Emma can't cure Scott's need for control - it's intrinsic to his character. So no matter which way you approach it, the visor stays. 

Also, what Xerox-Kitty said ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.