Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Best version of X-force?..also thoughts on Cable

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

In talking with a few people at local comic store, there was a discussion about the best version of or best idea for X-force. Quite a few people expressed that they were tired of the hit-squad, black-ops version that's existed since all the Hope stuff. In fact quite a few preferred the New mutants proactive, preemptive version as opposed to the more recent kill squad's. The store owner even had a cool idea kind of combining an Exiles/Xtreme Xmen theme with the X-Force hit squad in which people jumped around different futures killing off the biggest threats to mutants, but that's just his dream idea so to speak.

I guess some of my question is whether you are tired of the kill squad theme and possibly the character Cable in general? Most of the time in looking at most people's dream team's Cable seems to be absent. As far as Cable's character I don't hate him but I certainly don't see him as must read. I admit it just doesn't seem right to have an X-force without Cable since it was his idea in the first place. I guess having two versions is ok but personally I want less x-books and tighter writing amongst a few good ones. I've always leaned toward the idea of the preemptive proactive team. The kill-squad served its purpose for a time but now I'm kind of meh...... there's really no new villain that's been established that needs killing in my opinion.

I also am not a fan of killing off all the villains, though I can certainly see the logic behind some needing to go. Its just that to kill off all the villains leads to what we have now heroes fighting heroes. I think the Xmen are suffering from having a lack of villains, so they fight each other, but maybe that's just me. And let's face it, while death in the comic world is being used as a plot device and maybe not so permanent, this also contributes to the angst that many of us feel toward this particular plot device, as it cheapens everything.

Then I take a step back and look at some of the characters in Xmen..... and it seems to me that some are best served in a kill squad. Cable only uses guns and Im not even sure he has any mutant power anymore, Domino while a good strategist basicallly seems to be a marksman and always uses guns or knives, even Wolverine..... I mean come on the guy has blades coming out of his hands..really? These characters and others seem to just lend themselves to being good for that one thing. Nobody shoots off guns to wound lol. But I guess by that logic you could say the same about telepaths, who could just shutdown someone's nervous system or kill them with a thought.

Just curious as to what your favorite idea for Xforce is/was? Is the X-force kill-squad idea getting old? And finally some thoughts on Cable... can there be an Xforce without him? Should he go back to his reality or is he an all-time great?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

While I haven't read any of the pre-Kyle & Yost X-Force's I have to say that Hopeless' Cable and X-Force probably had my favourite lineup of all the modern X-Forces. Also, while Cable is a brilliant tactician and a great character that should definitely stick around, it isn't necessary to include him in a team in order for it to be a "true X-Force" (see Remender's Uncanny X-Force).

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

ok let me start with a few things, firs the kill squad was great but i agree i preferred the X force / new mutants type idea.

Now as for Cable

A.) He still has his powers

B.) You may not HAVE to have Cable to be X force, but damn it i would LIKE to have Cable in X force if not Cable then IMO it would have to be Cannonball

I would like to see a combination of the two groups we have now (there are alot of good underused characters in them) instead of adding alot of new people that seems to be going ot happen. Something like idk Cable, puck, Spiral, Boom Boom, Domino (just random names there) but yea drop psylocke and storm since they are both in anotehr title and utlize some of the other people (forge & dr nemesis for example) but yea and i wouldnt do the kill squad the whole Cable & X force idea of stopping crimes beofre they happened was pretty awesome IMO and fit a "new age" X force theme. Offensive and in your face edgier then regular X men

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the original x-force

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adamTRMM

Kill em all!!

But seriously, I can see @hawk2916's point. There are really not that much villains left to kill lol But I'm reading Spirrier's Legacy now (which I'm enjoying, finally!) and one thing in which I'm certain - the guy does not have a lack of imagination so I'm pretty sure he'll find who to kill off. Besides, even the current thickets of X-limbo are overfilled with the characters he could exploit and then eliminate, you know just dig up the past and you'll see how much of them deserve to die lol I also don't think that being a hit-squad automatically excludes the possibility of combining both classic and modern concepts into one, that will please both of the fan-bases, and myself being K/Y's X-Force admirer, including. But, I still can't understand those exited by the recent X-Force incarnation (no one talks about UXF v.2 - good, this book has never existed) with Cable, I mean - really, it was so totally 90s.. Depowering Cable, stupid monsters in the middle of NY, being outlaws for the sake of being outlaws, everything was so non-serious and silly and the same old villain in the end. What's the excitement about? Anyone?

BTW, wanted to make thread about XFs myself, just was a little busy this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is not only my favorite X-Force, it's probably my favorite X-Men book ever.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i loved Remender's Xforce and I loved K/Y's as well. The old version was great too. I do trust Spurrier because that guy has done some interesting things in Legion.. i meant Legacy. I just dont know about the exclusive kill squad anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old School X-Force was the best by far.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#9  Edited By time1

The best X-Force will always be the original X-Force.The early 90's X-Force.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adamTRMM

Have anyone seen a preview of the new series? It's awesome, I don't really know much about Marrow but I think I'm going to enjoy this, Spurrier already proved he is one of the very best X-writers right now, I am not even worried, I'm just in! Many don't like the art, maybe it is a wee bit raw, but I dig. What bothers me is Cable's robotic arm and more than this, his wtf Naruto-like head bandage. And I am almost not worried about Fantomex lol

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@adamtrmm said:

Have anyone seen a preview of the new series? It's awesome, I don't really know much about Marrow but I think I'm going to enjoy this, Spurrier already proved he is one of the very best X-writers right now, I am not even worried, I'm just in! Many don't like the art, maybe it is a wee bit raw, but I dig. What bothers me is Cable's robotic arm and more than this, his wtf Naruto-like head bandage. I am not worried about Fantomex lol

got a link to the preview

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only I didnt have to deal with Fantomex in this. Thats the only draw back for me

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

got a link to the preview

Red_Lion1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remenders X-Force every time. The dynamic between the team members was just fantastic.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For me Wolverine- Proudstar-Wolfsbane- Elixir- X-23- Arch Angel has been my favorite line up. As for Cable he seemed to be more complex when he was doing solo missions, for example being Hopes guardian arc, is my favorite of his.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.