Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Averaging Ages of X-Men

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

As many of us know, comic book characters stay in somewhat of a frozen time, making their age extremely difficult to tell. Well, unless its explained in a comic... Anyways, any character may be used, even if they are deceased or honorary!

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling. Remember, the ages suggested are up for discussion and may be agreed with/disagreed with/altered. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and may put in their knowledge.

In current comics, I believe Emma Frost is about 32 years old. I feel this is a reasonable age suggestion because she had her story of attending college, meaning she is over 22 years of age. Given that she served in the Hellfire Club, ran the Massachusetts Academy, and became an X-Woman, ten years feels suitable to me in terms of time.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I posted something like this on tv tropes two years ago. Maybe we can start with this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/MarvelUniverse

Character ages as of 2012

Fantastic Four

• The recent Fantastic Four #605 comic showed that Reed Richards is 51 years old (being born in 1961, the year the first FF comic came out). Sue's age was more ambiguous, however close inspection seems to show she was also born in the 60s meaning her minimum age would be 43 (she's younger than Reed, being 12 when he was in college). We can assume Ben about the same age as Reed considering they were college roomates. Johnny is a bit more ambiguous, in the classic comics he was 16 when he became the human torch (616 would presumably follow those same rules). If we follow the sliding timeline introduced from retcons like heroes reborn and House of M Johnny was 16 in 1996 (when the heroes reborn comic was published which started with the FF). Meaning he is currently 32 years old.

Spider-Man

• Peter got started when he was 15 years old (according to the Civil War). He became Spider-man an undisclosed yet short time after the FF got started. Currently Peter's age would range from 29-31 years old.
      • Jessica Jones was in high school with Peter.

X-men

• Founding team is probably about the same age as Peter and Johnny.
      • Bobby "Iceman" Drake is generally implied (with stories like Spider-man and his amazing friends) to be around the same age as Peter and Johnny. Though possibly a bit younger to distinguish his age from the other founding X-men.

Bruce Banner

• In 2010 Incredible Hulk 611 had a flash back of a young Dr. Banner from "30 years ago". Bruce looked like he was around 5 or 6 years old judging by his size and and outfit. In 2012 Bruce would be either 37 or 38 years old.

Jenifer Walters

• Apparently around the same age as Bruce. Briefly went out with Johnny storm. Early to mid thirties (34 to 36 years old).

Steve Rogers

• Born in 1922, became Captain America in 1941 was frozen in 1945 (age 23). How old he is depends heavily on the time he "woke up". Though you can be certain it happened after the FF got started in 1996 (based on the previous post).
      • The Avengers got started (according to the Marvel database) "months" after the FF got started. Captain America is not an original member, but almost immediately after defrosting he joined the team. At the maximum, Cap woke up in 1996 and at the minimum 1997. In 2012 Cap is 39 or 40 years old.
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@soduh2: these sound about right to me. I generally go by the marvel-time 3-1 ratio, which gives generally the same ages as you've come up with in yours (if Cyclops was 16 years old 50 years ago, he should be 31 or 32 now, etc).

It doesn't always work, but it generally does, so it's a good place to start if one has no other evidence.

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JROCK72

@soduh2: Thanks for pointing this out to me! You made some great points and I agree with all of them! If you would like, you could contribute some more age suggestions on this forum. Thanks again!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@jrock72 said:

In current comics, I believe Emma Frost is about 32 years old. I feel this is a reasonable age suggestion because she had her story of attending college, meaning she is over 22 years of age. Given that she served in the Hellfire Club, ran the Massachusetts Academy, and became an X-Woman, ten years feels suitable to me in terms of time.

Further evidence of this would be that in Morrison's New X-Men, Emma states that she's "only 27". Since that story was from more than ten years ago, our time, we can assume (by the 3-1 ratio I mentioned earlier) that 3 or 4 years has past since then, so, yeah, like the original X-men, she should be in her early 30's by now.

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JROCK72

Okay, so I'm going to average another X-Man: Psylocke. My estimated age for the resident psi-blade wielding, sexy, purple ninja of the X-Men is around 27 years old. I feel like she is younger than others, such as Cyclops (32) or Emma (32), but not young enough to be the same age as younger members of the mutant team, like Shadowcat, who is most likely 21-24 years old.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By cattlebattle

@jrock72 said:

Okay, so I'm going to average another X-Man: Psylocke. My estimated age for the resident psi-blade wielding, sexy, purple ninja of the X-Men is around 27 years old. I feel like she is younger than others, such as Cyclops (32) or Emma (32), but not young enough to be the same age as younger members of the mutant team, like Shadowcat, who is most likely 21-24 years old.

When she originally joined the X-Men, recruited by the New Mutants, she was presumably in her very late teens. I would just assume she is the same age as someone like Cannonball.

There was a thread pretty much identical to this about a week ago and I will say the same thing in this thread as I did the other: Because they are fictional characters and the comic book time is so sporadic, its extremely difficult to determine most characters ages.

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'm sorry that I started a second thread without checking for the other one.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh nononono, Betsy is quite a bit older than that.

Her twin was in his early/mid 20s when he became Captain Britain in the 1970s, so she's somewhere in her early-mid 30s by now. She's older than the 05.

Now Rogue is about the same age as Sam, they both were around 18 when they joined the x-men/new mutants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.