Anyone going to read First X-Men?

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone thinking about reading First X-Men, the series where it seems that Wolverine started the X-Men and how he teams up with Sabretooth?
 
To be honest, I don't think I'm going to read this because I always liked the idea about how the X-Men were started up by Professor Xavier  and having Wolverine start the X-Men is too forced and is another way to get Wolverine into another book.

Avatar image for dman1366
#2 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I think the only X-books I will read in WatX, UXM, and Legacy. Once Legacy and UXM are gone it is just WatX for me. Maybe I will pick up Adjectiveless, but probably not.

Avatar image for dernman
#3 Posted by Dernman (22257 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not I hate what Marvel has been doing rewriting history like Shield before Shield, Avengers before Avengers, Now X-Men before X-Men.  Worse yet they fan wank Wolverine to being the creator of the X-Men instead of Xavier.

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
I'm not I hate what Marvel has been doing rewriting history like Shield before Shield, Avengers before Avengers, Now X-Men before X-Men.  Worse yet they fan wank Wolverine to being the creator of the X-Men instead of Xavier.
Me too. I can't stand it when Marvel keeps on changing the history of the characters. Marvel really needs to just stick to one history of the characters only.
Avatar image for gilladro
#5 Posted by GillaDro (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I pre-ordered a copy. I like most X-Men related books. I think we need a change in the comic industry, but people are too stuck on the old characters and stories that they've always known to give new ones a chance. Alot of new titles dont last very long because noone is buying them. They're buying the same titles that have always been around. I think they should introduce a complete new team of characters instead of introducing just one new character to an old team or, story.

Avatar image for artgamer
#6 Posted by ArtGamer (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm going to read it just for the curiosity + sabretooth :P

Avatar image for gilladro
#7 Posted by GillaDro (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtGamer said:

"i'm going to read it just for the curiosity + sabretooth :P"

same.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#8 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4663 posts) - - Show Bio

I will scan it in the comic book store before I decide. I'm not a Wolverine fan in the first place so this whole series is tailor made for me to ignore.

Avatar image for dman1366
#9 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

I will scan it in the comic book store before I decide. I'm not a Wolverine fan in the first place so this whole series is tailor made for me to ignore.

This. I am not a fan of wolverine at all. the best part of WatX is the lack of wolverine and the concentration on the school, kids, and faculty.

Avatar image for ageofhurricane
#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7699 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Adam's motivation for the series was just as asinine as Bendis' premise for All New X-Men, not to mention, more Wolverine. The preview didn't look that interesting either, because, it was just more Wolverine.

Avatar image for daycrawler
#11 Posted by Daycrawler (556 posts) - - Show Bio

Avoiding it. The art looks awful and I'm not a fan of Gage's writing either. Add to the fact that they seem to be adding Wolverine into the mix just cos he's popular, which is just dumb and annoying. I don't mind slight tweaks to origins or 'hidden years' style stories if done well, but this just looks like a reeeeaaaally bad and pointless idea. Give it a few years and no-one will remember it.

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind if this was an alternative reality series, but this is just Marvel's way of pushing Wolverine in too many books than necessary and I can't deal with anymore changes in the history of the X-Men universe anymore.

Avatar image for skaddix
#13 Posted by Skaddix (3111 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Gage so I will give a try.

Avatar image for papad1992
#14 Posted by papad1992 (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

I pre-ordered a copy. I like most X-Men related books. I think we need a change in the comic industry, but people are too stuck on the old characters and stories that they've always known to give new ones a chance. Alot of new titles dont last very long because noone is buying them. They're buying the same titles that have always been around. I think they should introduce a complete new team of characters instead of introducing just one new character to an old team or, story.

uh.... NO! What makes the X-Men THE X-MEN is their history and background!! If writers and creators keep poking and tweaking the history like they don't care then we should defiantly get a new creative team in the X-universe! I like change and I usually tend to give new books a chance but so long as their comicbook history stays the same and since these books that are coming out soon are totally against everything that is their background... I'm against this wholeheartedly!

Avatar image for blood1991
#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8115 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. It would have to get like amazing reviews for me to bother.

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#16 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:

@GillaDro said:

I pre-ordered a copy. I like most X-Men related books. I think we need a change in the comic industry, but people are too stuck on the old characters and stories that they've always known to give new ones a chance. Alot of new titles dont last very long because noone is buying them. They're buying the same titles that have always been around. I think they should introduce a complete new team of characters instead of introducing just one new character to an old team or, story.

uh.... NO! What makes the X-Men THE X-MEN is their history and background!! If writers and creators keep poking and tweaking the history like they don't care then we should defiantly get a new creative team in the X-universe! I like change and I usually tend to give new books a chance but so long as their comicbook history stays the same and since these books that are coming out soon are totally against everything that is their background... I'm against this wholeheartedly!

I agree with all this! I hate it whenever Marvel changes the character's history without a logical reason, the most famous example being the Phoenix Force, which has been changed so much over the years that it's so confusing in seeing what is true and what isn't true about the Phoenix Force.
Avatar image for papad1992
#17 Posted by papad1992 (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@papad1992 said:

@GillaDro said:

I pre-ordered a copy. I like most X-Men related books. I think we need a change in the comic industry, but people are too stuck on the old characters and stories that they've always known to give new ones a chance. Alot of new titles dont last very long because noone is buying them. They're buying the same titles that have always been around. I think they should introduce a complete new team of characters instead of introducing just one new character to an old team or, story.

uh.... NO! What makes the X-Men THE X-MEN is their history and background!! If writers and creators keep poking and tweaking the history like they don't care then we should defiantly get a new creative team in the X-universe! I like change and I usually tend to give new books a chance but so long as their comicbook history stays the same and since these books that are coming out soon are totally against everything that is their background... I'm against this wholeheartedly!

I agree with all this! I hate it whenever Marvel changes the character's history without a logical reason, the most famous example being the Phoenix Force, which has been changed so much over the years that it's so confusing in seeing what is true and what isn't true about the Phoenix Force.

The Phoenix Force is a mess now...

Avatar image for thecrowbar
#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell F-ING NO

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@papad1992 said:

@GillaDro said:

I pre-ordered a copy. I like most X-Men related books. I think we need a change in the comic industry, but people are too stuck on the old characters and stories that they've always known to give new ones a chance. Alot of new titles dont last very long because noone is buying them. They're buying the same titles that have always been around. I think they should introduce a complete new team of characters instead of introducing just one new character to an old team or, story.

uh.... NO! What makes the X-Men THE X-MEN is their history and background!! If writers and creators keep poking and tweaking the history like they don't care then we should defiantly get a new creative team in the X-universe! I like change and I usually tend to give new books a chance but so long as their comicbook history stays the same and since these books that are coming out soon are totally against everything that is their background... I'm against this wholeheartedly!

I agree with all this! I hate it whenever Marvel changes the character's history without a logical reason, the most famous example being the Phoenix Force, which has been changed so much over the years that it's so confusing in seeing what is true and what isn't true about the Phoenix Force.

The Phoenix Force is a mess now...

Definitely...
Avatar image for duke_nasty
#20 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

Avatar image for lorex
#21 Edited by lorex (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I have said this before but I think the concept of bringing the original X-Men into the future would be interesting for a mini or a maxi series but if the characters are the original X-Men they have to at some point go back to the past and play their part in 
essential points in the 616 universe's history. So they will either have to have there memories erased or blocked in some way otherwise the entire history of the marvel universe could be upended. Unless Marvel has been lying about not rebooting 
the entire universe how is this going to work? I am going to check it out but I do have concerns.
 
My comments are dierected to the All New X-Men by Bendis as part of the Marvel Now so if this is refering to a different series or title sorry.

Avatar image for god_spawn
#22 Posted by God_Spawn (40734 posts) - - Show Bio

Not buying it. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist.

Moderator
Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex said:
I have said this before but I think the concept of bringing the original X-Men into the future would be interesting for a mini or a maxi series but if the characters are the original X-Men they have to at some point go back to the past and play their part in  essential points in the 616 universe's history. So they will either have to have there memories erased or blocked in some way otherwise the entire history of the marvel universe could be upended. Unless Marvel has been lying about not rebooting  the entire universe how is this going to work? I am going to check it out but I do have concerns.  My comments are dierected to the All New X-Men by Bendis as part of the Marvel Now so if this is refering to a different series or title sorry.
Well, this topic is dealing with Wolverine being the one who started the first X-Men, but Bendis' New X-Men run is a bit of a concern to me also since I really don't see the point of having the older X-Men in the future.
Avatar image for powerzone789
#24 Posted by Powerzone789 (481 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366 said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

I will scan it in the comic book store before I decide. I'm not a Wolverine fan in the first place so this whole series is tailor made for me to ignore.

This. I am not a fan of wolverine at all. the best part of WatX is the lack of wolverine and the concentration on the school, kids, and faculty.

this

Avatar image for john_valentine
#25 Posted by John Valentine (16467 posts) - - Show Bio

No, and the art is just damn terrible

Avatar image for madame_mist
#26 Posted by Madame_Mist (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

might try the first one and see how it goes.

Avatar image for gilladro
#27 Posted by GillaDro (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I didnt say to change the X-Men. I meant create a whole new team of all new characters to add to the comic world instead of just adding 1 new character to an old team, or bringing back an old character, etc.

Avatar image for retro_metro
#28 Posted by Retro_Metro (381 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

@papad1992: I didnt say to change the X-Men. I meant create a whole new team of all new characters to add to the comic world instead of just adding 1 new character to an old team, or bringing back an old character, etc.

I like your idea.

Avatar image for veskagan
#29 Posted by VesKaGan (103 posts) - - Show Bio

As a huge fan of the Original 5... no! I'm definitely not picking this up. Neither single issues nor trades.

Avatar image for papad1992
#30 Posted by papad1992 (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

@papad1992: I didnt say to change the X-Men. I meant create a whole new team of all new characters to add to the comic world instead of just adding 1 new character to an old team, or bringing back an old character, etc.

Why would we need more new characters!? We already have to many to handle (and that's post-M-Day)! For example... When the Five Lights were introduced... people either loved the idea or hated them. Because those new characters were blindfolding the great New X-Men students that were better created back in the "good ole days" of X-Men! Character Development is key to any character. If introducing new characters constantly instead of "re-using" older characters to further their development is what you want... I don't think other people would agree!

Avatar image for osian2
#31 Posted by Osian2 (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Not buying it. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist.

Avatar image for jrock85
#32 Posted by jrock85 (2882 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for omegared86
#33 Posted by OmegaRed86 (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine started the X-men? F*** you, Marvel.

Avatar image for cattlebattle
#34 Posted by cattlebattle (15916 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not on board with Wolverine being in the book...he is just over saturated. At the time this takes place Wolverine should be elsewhere doing something Wolverine like
 
I do like the idea of Xavier being on a team with other mutants before starting the X-Men, it makes sense, Xavier always eludes to his friendships with Magneto and Fred Duncan in his younger days but there is really never any details of the relationships. Hopefully this book will fill in some of the gaps but that might be asking too much, so there's that. In addition, these days comics have more things spelled out for you, It would be nice to see Xavier acquire some skills fom working with the government, isn't it strange how Xavier started a team of militant mutants who have a training room and jet with no experience of his own? Maybe these questions will be answered....doubtful though

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#35 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6531 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, it looks like no one going's to read this. Well, I'm not either since I still see the original 5 starting the X-Men.

Avatar image for darkmagik
#36 Posted by darkmagik (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think, I do not like the idea that Wolverine is still the center of interest of a Marvel/X-men story. Similar for Sabretooth who was also member of the first Avengers ... They're everywhere !!

Avatar image for one_eye
#37 Posted by One_Eye (791 posts) - - Show Bio

Not I said "One Eye."

Avatar image for one_eye
#38 Posted by One_Eye (791 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Not buying it. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist.

^ This ^

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#39 Posted by TDK_1997 (17427 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it and it wasn't anything special and the whole action and development of the story felt like it is being held within minutes and was too rushed up.And did I mention that Wolverine and Sabretooth looked like vampires.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.