Follow

X-Men: First Class

Movie » X-Men: First Class released on June 03, 2011.

At a time when the world was first learning of mutants, Professor Xavier created a school where young mutants could learn to use their powers to help protect a world that hates and fears them. What adventures will the first class of X-Men face?

James McAvoy Wants to Dig Deeper into Professor X's Origins

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

If you watched the film X-Men First Class, then you might recall that the end of the film left Professor Charles Xavier rather, well, immobile. Director Matthew Vaughn made sure to drive a stake in the friendship between Professor Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto). Now, with that bit out of the way, many have begun to question what direction the film's sequel will move in. In a recent interview with Collider, actor James McAvoy (who played Professor Charles Xavier in the film) was asked what his hopes are for his character in the sequel.

No Caption Provided

In the interview, McAvoy delved a little bit into the vision Vaughn has for Xavier's character development in the sequel, and how his character will be forced to face the reality that his nearest and dearest friend (Magneto) just inadvertently shot him in the spine, crippling him.

I’ve heard a little bit about what’s happening. The director has got a fantastic idea for what the story will be. I can’t really tell you what it is because we may or may not make that, but we’ve got to do something intelligent with it. I can’t speak for Michael’s character, but for my character, he’s got some major sh-- to deal with. He’s just been paralyzed and he’s been betrayed by the person who he’s probably come to care about more than anybody else in the world, and he’s the guy who did it to him.

The actor continued, stating how important it would be for his character's development to delve into the struggle Professor Xavier would have with having to come to terms with being confined to a wheelchair and with being shot by one of his nearest and dearest friends, Magneto.

== TEASER ==
    That’s a huge thing that we have to deal with and we need to see that. If we don’t see that, I feel like it would just totally wallpaper over the fact that this guy has been completely physically compromised. That’s an important thing for me. Other than that, I don’t know.
    No Caption Provided

Interestingly, McAvoy also discusses the fact that there very well may not be a sequel to X-Men: First Class, and that Fox has yet to greenlight a sequel. Shocking, right? According to McAvoy, the film would need a really great script before it receives a go ahead from the studio known for holding onto a lot of Marvel comic book properties.

We’re still waiting for Fox to greenlight it. I think what they’re doing really well is that they’re not just rushing ahead and making another one because it did well. They are just trying to get a decent story together. If they don’t get a decent story together, then we probably won’t do another one because it can be a stand-alone film. We shouldn’t just make another one because we want to make some money. There needs to be a good script there.

If they do decide to delve deeper into Professor X's story in a sequel to the first film, perhaps they will explain how he lost all of his hair. Then again, we really don't see McAvoy shaving those lovely locks. What do you think? Do you think that there should be a sequel, and if so, should it delve deeper into Professor X's story? What would you like to see in a sequel to 'X-Men: First Class'?

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fables87

This movie was really good. I hope the next one is even better. They need to add some more mutants though. Maybe the New Mutants.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Larkin1388

I loved this movie. I hope there is a sequel.

Avatar image for xx2nite_alritexx
    xX2nite_alriteXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xX2nite_alriteXx

This movie is one of the few that DESERVES a sequel; there is just too much more storytelling to do to leave it at one movie.

Also, I love how they keep saying Magneto shot Xavier- Moira shot him, technically speaking. :p

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LoganRogue24

i liked first class better then x-3 and wolverine. iam just worried cause i heard simon kinberg is writeing the script for the possible xfc sequell. i hope its not true just when the x-men franchise gets back on track they bring him in to mess it up.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By SpidermanWins

I am so excited to see what they'll do with their characters next. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are perfect for the roles of young Xavier and Magneto. First Class was the best of those movies IMO. They owned those roles and they really ought to get an Academy Award for one of them

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

First they have to decide if there is going to be a sequel, and then from there just take their time and do it right. Like McAvoy I believe its important then to address more on what changes go on in Xavier's life after being crippled and how he handles it thereafter. Then begs the question of who the great adversary would be for the second movie. Magneto and the Brotherhood perhaps even if that would be a bit pretentious at this point.

KamenRider00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KamenRider00

More Havok.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

i think be cool if the military forced the team to go in as like soldiers in Vietnam an fight there only to learn that like Magnetos based there or somin an then somin to do with Cable showing up or StanLee an then maybe in the War some1 could make a reference to Cap or the super soldier serum no w8 PUNISHER NEEDS TO BE REFERENCED OR SOMIN like have a a guyt in vietnam named like Sergreant Castle an some1 calls him Frank but make him like back ground character as a cameo and itd be a good way to start off the new Punisher film franchise an coonnecting the punisher an X Men to the marvel cinematic universe or use Stark Tech in the war ;3

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

Hell yeah I wanna see a sequel if McAvoy and Fassbender make a comeback.

I'd like to see Mr. Sinister as a villain as well.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

I would like them to do one thing? Focus on making a good movie like the first instead of trying to make it fit into any other movies timeline or continuity. If it fits? It fits, My enjoyment and appreciation of First Class still outweighed the strangeness of all the mundane criticism I viewed directed at it regarding character ages. 

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cmaprice

I'd just rather them ask for a reasonable sum and give the X-Men/Wolverine/Deadpool rights to Marvel studios. But they won't. Neither will Sony release Spider-Man from their grasp. Not until both franchises are completely driven into the ground.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I have no interest in ever seeing First Class, or any sequel that it may have. I just find this shocking that FOX didn't preemptively plan their sequels long ahead of time. Production companies are obsessed with trying to turn anything they can into a trilogy.

Having a good story has never stopped FOX from green lighting X-Men movies.

I would have been far more interested in seeing a movie that focused on Charles and Erik's relationship than a movie littered with poor interpretations of some of my favorite characters.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bunkerbuster05

It's really insane how good First Class is when you hear of its quick production schedule. I do hope it gets a sequel, with the same cast.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By charlieboy

i really hope that they make a sequel.and technically moira shot at magneto and he deflected the bullet at charles.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

"the film would need a really great script before it receives a go ahead from the studio"

Oh well thats good news the last movie was awful and if the same people make the sequal a good scropt will never be made thus no terrible sequal to a terrible movie problem solved

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gambitpryde1993

I hope they bring at least Storm and Cyclops for the sequel and have the Brotherhood as the main adversaries before setting up a "big bad" for the third movie: either Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lokheit

I hated the movie, and because of the changes to comic book characters, but for epic bad writting. 

So the real deal of the film which is how Erik became Magneto is like: 

-I'm a guy who hates nazis and I kill Shaw because he was a big MF. 

(1 second later) 

-ZOMG!!! I'm a mutant supremacist!! Here I go humanity!! Dumba!! Missiless everywhere!!! 

Maybe they threaw one or two hints (like the scene with Mystique), but nothing big enough to make this poor kid into a supremacist for mutankind. I hated that. So please, no more films just for the sake of restart the rights time limit to do more horrible x-men films and let Marvel Studios do the right thing with their characters.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i thought it was great can't wait to see the sequel. 

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By goldenkey

I say let him do what ever he wants too. He did an outstanding job. Him and the guy who played Magneto. I just hope Vaughn stays with it. He showed he can direct a comicbook film. I actually wished he was directing Avengers or even Superman. I have faith in Snyder. The guy has proved himself and his action sequences are just great but Vaughn was so good with Kick-Ass and X-men. As for Whedon on Avengers, Im worried. The script will be great, it's just that I don't know if the guy can direct. It's soooo hard to edit the right dialogue scenes. It's not hard to make actors look bad, even good ones. Look at George Lucas on the last 3 Starwars films. Just crap acting from good acting. That's called bad directing. On "A New Hope" the actors over ran him.

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kimeraevet

@goldenkey said:

I say let him do what ever he wants too. He did an outstanding job. Him and the guy who played Magneto. I just hope Vaughn stays with it. He showed he can direct a comicbook film. I actually wished he was directing Avengers or even Superman. I have faith in Snyder. The guy has proved himself and his action sequences are just great but Vaughn was so good with Kick-Ass and X-men. As for Whedon on Avengers, Im worried. The script will be great, it's just that I don't know if the guy can direct. It's soooo hard to edit the right dialogue scenes. It's not hard to make actors look bad, even good ones. Look at George Lucas on the last 3 Starwars films. Just crap acting from good acting. That's called bad directing. On "A New Hope" the actors over ran him.

You, my friend, need to watch Serenity. Or you can pick up Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, or Dollhouse. Go ahead, we will all wait. When you're done, tell us whether you think he can direct or not.

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

I really liked the movie, but I did feel like the status changes at the very end were very rushed. I wish that they had saved Charles's impairment, Mystique's switch of alliance, and the end of the Magneto & Charles Xavier bromance for the sequels. I think all of these twists needed more character & plot developement behind them in order to feel convincing & to have the desired emotional impact on the audience. I know it would have been rather risqué to hold one's breath for a sequel that might never come, but it still would have made more sense to foreshadow these things rather than playing them out too quickly.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the sequel, and crossing my fingers that they'll keep up the good work without falling for the same mistakes the first installment did. The best thing about First Class were the superb acting performances by McAvoy and Fassbender & their on-screen chemistry. That's what I'd like to see more of in the sequel, too.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lykopis

I enjoyed the movie. Yes, my mind nearly synapsed itself into a coma with all the inconsistencies in regards to the "real" story, but all in all, managed to immerse myself in this new telling of Xavier and gang.

James McAvoy was wonderful. Having him continue the role of Charles, would be fantastic and reading that his hopes that a continuation of this story are that they be genuine and deep is heartening. Good to know he has interest in the character.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eyz

@Lokheit said:

I hated the movie, and because of the changes to comic book characters, but for epic bad writting.

Yeah, everyone keeps referring to the changes done to the characters, as the reasons to dislike the movie...when it's really bad writing/boring casting that kills the movie.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @MyraMyraMyra said:

I really liked the movie, but I did feel like the status changes at the very end were very rushed. I wish that they had saved Charles's impairment, Mystique's switch of alliance, and the end of the Magneto & Charles Xavier bromance for the sequels. I think all of these twists needed more character & plot developement behind them in order to feel convincing & to have the desired emotional impact on the audience. I know it would have been rather risqué to hold one's breath for a sequel that might never come, but it still would have made more sense to foreshadow these things rather than playing them out too quickly.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the sequel, and crossing my fingers that they'll keep up the good work without falling for the same mistakes the first installment did. The best thing about First Class were the superb acting performances by McAvoy and Fassbender & their on-screen chemistry. That's what I'd like to see more of in the sequel, too.

They definitely should have left this part out, I mean Charles was still walking at the end of Wolverine, how does that work?
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By RainEffect
    @FoxxFireArt said:

I have no interest in ever seeing First Class, or any sequel that it may have. I just find this shocking that FOX didn't preemptively plan their sequels long ahead of time. Production companies are obsessed with trying to turn anything they can into a trilogy.

Having a good story has never stopped FOX from green lighting X-Men movies.

I would have been far more interested in seeing a movie that focused on Charles and Erik's relationship than a movie littered with poor interpretations of some of my favorite characters.

That's exactly what X-Men First Class focused on - the differing views of Charles and Erik. You can't talk about what a movie deals with if you haven't seen it. 

Look, if you hate Fox, I get that - they murdered the X-Men with previous films. However, I strongly recommend you see First Class, if only for the fact that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are immensely talented actors who actually engage with their character.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMess1428

They should start introducing other mutant teams or give them their own movies. That would be really cool.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Thunderscream

If X-Men: First Class did anything well, it was giving McAvoy and Fassbender some exemplary moments to shine.

I thought the rest was constructed rather poorly and haphazardly...Moira an agent instead of a scientist. A ragtag team of random mutants with barely any character development. A ridiculous looking Beast.

It was better than Last Stand by far, but I was still disappointed.

I would like a sequel just because it's better to have X-Men movies than not to, even if they still miss the mark.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#28  Edited By The Impersonator

The previous movie was great. Just hope they make another one.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThomasElliot

I don't get the heap of praise this movie gets at all. It was a good movie, but not the cream of the crop that everyone makes it out to be... its no Dark Knight and Xmen 1 is still better.

I don't care about character changes when translating from comic to film. No big deal. I'm ok with that.

However, when you show a character in 200X having an Irish accent, then you tell her story 40 years prior and she's suddenly an American CIA agent? Huh? I think Fox and Singer are so cynical about the Xmen movies that they've given up them and First Class really is more of a reboot than they let on. As a matter of fact, it would make MORE logical sense to call it a reboot.

And while everyone derides X3... I am still waiting for those loose ends to be tied, but I guess its never going to happen. Fox sucks and the rights to Xmen need to be taken away. The thing is... if you think First Class is so great, can you imagine how much better an X-men movie would be if NOT produced by Fox?!

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Gordo789

I actually liked this past one. It wasn't great, but it was probably still the best x-men film thus far (not a hard bar to raise, really). I'd watch another.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By FoxxFireArt

@Eyz said:

@Lokheit said:

Yeah, everyone keeps referring to the changes done to the characters, as the reasons to dislike the movie...when it's really bad writing/boring casting that kills the movie.

I just don't see why you bother to adapt a character only to change their history and personality. If they don't want me to have expectations, then don't give that character the name and appearance that creates an expectation. It's like when Hollywood adapts a book into the movie, but change all the details of that story. Why did they even bother adapting it if they didn't like the events in the book? Jurassic Park Lost World is a good example. It was a good book, but out of the entire movie. There were only two scenes from the book in it. The finale and even the reason why they went to the island was different.

@RainEffect:

This movie more focuses on filling the cast with poor adaptations of mutant characters so FOX can keep the likeness rights and had no role in the actual First Class. This wasn't a reboot since they were too busy trying to tie it into the earlier movies.

Emma Frost isn't some spacy follower who's just as old as Charles and Erik. How is this any different that that idiotic version of Emma that was Silver Fox's sister? At least Wolverine Origins had her in the right age group. In that case, I thought the actress looked good. Mystique isn't some gentle person who wanted to fit in. She's suppose to be older than pretty much all of them. Also, she's crazy. That's why she's interesting. Out of that entire movie, only Beast is a member of the actual First Class.

I'm sick of seeing my favorite characters being so poorly adapted. There is nothing that says I have to see these movies.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

This film definitely deserves a sequel more than some other comic book movies that have gotten. I was pleasantly surprised with how First Class turned out and hopefully they can script a sequel worthy enough. It'd be rather weird seeing Professor X with hair, but it might be even weirder seeing James McAvoy without hair

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WonderBoy1132

@bunkerbuster05 said:

It's really insane how good First Class is when you hear of its quick production schedule. I do hope it gets a sequel, with the same cast.

It is insane how amazing the movie turned out. Can't wait for the sequel.

To all you comic fanatics who think that the movie was awful due to the lack of connection to the comic book... get over it.

Comics are constantly being recreated to deal with issues that were not dealt with before. The fact that X-men First Class came up with something original in the entertainment of today is remarkable. The beauty of Comics is that if one has imagination than one can go anywhere with it. Be more open minded and maybe you can actually enjoy it.

nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nentisys

I don't read any comics regularly and never really have. But I really like X-Men: First Class and I hope the sequel (if it comes) compares.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

me: mommie make the bad movie go away mom: what bad movie are you talking son me:the bad x-men first class movie mommie mom: i have no idea what you're talking about me:here i show you (then covering eyes) mommie: OH OMG MY EYES...TU-TURN IT OFF *faints* me:mom mom wake up *shaking her* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Curse you x-men first class. Curse you to the deepest pit of bad movie *beep* you *beep* movie neeeeeever return

rickstaman05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rickstaman05

Taking into account that the characters chosen were picked based on movie continuity, the lack of its connection to Wolverine Origins was a bit disappointing. However, great movie without that.

UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UnosInfinitos

When will he lose his hair?!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eyz

@FoxxFireArt said:

@Eyz said:

@Lokheit said:

I just don't see why you bother to adapt a character only to change their history and personality. If they don't want me to have expectations, then don't give that character the name and appearance that creates an expectation. It's like when Hollywood adapts a book into the movie, but change all the details of that story. Why did they even bother adapting it if they didn't like the events in the book? Jurassic Park Lost World is a good example. It was a good book, but out of the entire movie. There were only two scenes from the book in it. The finale and even the reason why they went to the island was different.

@RainEffect:

This movie more focuses on filling the cast with poor adaptations of mutant characters so FOX can keep the likeness rights and had no role in the actual First Class. This wasn't a reboot since they were too busy trying to tie it into the earlier movies.

Emma Frost isn't some spacy follower who's just as old as Charles and Erik. How is this any different that that idiotic version of Emma that was Silver Fox's sister? At least Wolverine Origins had her in the right age group. In that case, I thought the actress looked good. Mystique isn't some gentle person who wanted to fit in. She's suppose to be older than pretty much all of them. Also, she's crazy. That's why she's interesting. Out of that entire movie, only Beast is a member of the actual First Class.

I'm sick of seeing my favorite characters being so poorly adapted. There is nothing that says I have to see these movies.

Hey it's an Hollywood adaptation!

Here's what I have to say about that: http://www.coolape.org/comic-eyz-2007-11-5.html

And, yeah, they just "improvised" yet another lackbuster to keep the rights from reverting to Marvel and sell more DVD/Bluray packs of their whole X-men franchise....

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By maemmfc

My question is, assuming First Class is tied in with the other X-Men movies and not just a revamp (I cannot remember for the life of me if they are all tied in together -- I would assume so, as Hugh Jackman appeared as Wolverine -- but someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... how will they explain Professor X standing at the end of Wolverine: Origins?

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By maemmfc

...Although again, I could be missing something completely, so please, help a girl out if she's wrong :)

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By soccersss

@maemmfc said:

My question is, assuming First Class is tied in with the other X-Men movies and not just a revamp (I cannot remember for the life of me if they are all tied in together -- I would assume so, as Hugh Jackman appeared as Wolverine -- but someone please correct me if I'm wrong)... how will they explain Professor X standing at the end of Wolverine: Origins?

Well since Wolverine ages much slower than regular human beings and mutants it should be fairly easy to say that the Professor and Magneto meeting Wolverine in First Class took place during the earlier parts/middle of Wolverine: Origins.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.