Follow

X-Men: First Class

Movie » X-Men: First Class released on June 03, 2011.

At a time when the world was first learning of mutants, Professor Xavier created a school where young mutants could learn to use their powers to help protect a world that hates and fears them. What adventures will the first class of X-Men face?

Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Different sites say different things, but I thought it was just a prequel. Can anyone clear it up for me?

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

i THINK it was a prequel to X1 and X2 but not 3 an d wolverine

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Loki9876 said:
    So did X3 just not happen?
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Loki9876

I don't know it's just what I think is more logical maybe not it isn't confirmed but it's just what i think

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By Dracade102
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @Loki9876 said:
    I think most people like pretending that X3 & Origins never happened...
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp
    @Dracade102 said:
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @Loki9876 said:
    I think most people like pretending that X3 & Origins never happened...
    Yeah, I think its a prequel. X3 is probably still cannon until they make another movie, that directly counters it.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

Professor Xs ability to walk makes it the most confusing....he is seen able to walk at the end of X-Men Origins and the beginning (along with a chummy Magneto) of X-Men 3, where he is clearly disabled at the end of First Class

Otherwise any points that don't connect to X3 or Wolverine can likely be cleared up in future sequels

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Or35ti

It's not a reboot, 20th Century Fox just f*cked up the continuity lol. It's still my favorite X-Men movie tho and I think it's the best.

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#9  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@cattlebattle: Yeah, that and a few other things (Mystique's close relationship with Xavier and Beast having been the one to create Cerebro) reinforce my belief that it is more reboot than prequel. Ultimately, I think we'll see when they make a follow-up (hopefully with Matthew Vaughn returning as director and his collaborator Jane Goldman returning as a screenwriter).

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Shadowdoggy

it's already changed the continuity created by the other 3 X-films  
    it'll have sequels, if that's the criteria for being a reboot
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Its a 'we really, seriously, don't care - priority one, just make a good effin movie, priority two, if we can sort of link it up to other movies thats great, priority three what the hell will we tell people who ask if this is a prequel or reboot? Oh wait answer, hopefully they just focus on priority one.' = Erm, what's the word that stands in for all the stuff I just said? 

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @SC said:

Its a 'we really, seriously, don't care - priority one, just make a good effin movie, priority two, if we can sort of link it up to other movies thats great, priority three what the hell will we tell people who ask if this is a prequel or reboot? Oh wait answer, hopefully they just focus on priority one.' = Erm, what's the word that stands in for all the stuff I just said? 

what he said 
    ;)
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

Well bottom line, I'd like to think that X3 and Wolverine never happened in this little universe. X1 and X2 would be a plus. I wanna be confident that this is the start to an X-Men franchise worth watching. 

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadowdoggy

ha, I just happened to see this today and it made me think of this thread 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Shadowdoggy said:

ha, I just happened to see this today and it made me think of this thread 

Lol that's awesome. So by that logic, this has to be a reboot, lol. 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @angeldust616 said:

@cattlebattle: Yeah, that and a few other things (Mystique's close relationship with Xavier and Beast having been the one to create Cerebro) reinforce my belief that it is more reboot than prequel. Ultimately, I think we'll see when they make a follow-up (hopefully with Matthew Vaughn returning as director and his collaborator Jane Goldman returning as a screenwriter).

Yeah about Cerebro and that stuff...I LOL'd as a big fan of the movies as everything Professor X tells Wolverine in Xmen 1 is a lie, he didn't meet Erik as a teenager, he didn't help him build Cerebro, Scott and Jean were not some of his first students...etc.

The whole Mystique relationship thing is up in the air though as Professor X never really is in the same place as Mystique at the same time in the trilogy, and Prof. X often does keep secrets so It's not hard to actually retcon this into the movies

I imagine the things he told Wolverine will be retconned into hyperbole. Except for them meeting as teenagers, maybe they did meet each other when they were young and Erik was using an alias or something. Maybe at some point (if these First Class films do run another trilogy) Erik will rejoin Charles to modify Cerebro, Possibly he never considers Havok Banshee and Beast students, maybe their the first X-Men as Charles hasn't instructed them scholastically, they were just kind of hurled into action. Thats when he teaches Scott and Jean since young ages who become X-Men later in life....but i'm just reaching with that one

I don't think there is logical way to fix the Xavier randomly walking thing though
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Primmaster64

People that aren't supposed to be born yet exist on it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambit1024
    @cattlebattle: Maybe they'll say that it was Professor X using his powers to make them see what he wanted them to see? Idk, I think that whole thing is bs, lol.  

And with Scott and Storm being kids in the 60's that would have to mean when the first X-Men movie took place, they were in their 40's. When was the ending to Wolverine's movie supposed to take place? 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @cattlebattle: Maybe they'll say that it was Professor X using his powers to make them see what he wanted them to see? Idk, I think that whole thing is bs, lol.   And with Scott and Storm being kids in the 60's that would have to mean when the first X-Men movie took place, they were in their 40's. When was the ending to Wolverine's movie supposed to take place? 
    Yeah, I think due to the X-Men films being more "probable" thematically, I think they will avoid the whole Astral image thing, maybe Mags fixes his spine out of guilt or some crap, he actually did that in the comics.

Scott and Storm in First Class was obvious fan allusion, its never flat out stated, so that doesn't have to be a proven fact that it was specifically those characters. I personally like to pretend X-Men Origins never happened.....it was terrible on every level, but yes it was when "Three Mile Island" (Strykers island)happened...in the 80's, so actually chronologically, it fits the continuity
    theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By theicon
    @Gambit1024: maybe xmen 3  and wolverine origins  are the ultimate universe  time line?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gambit1024
    @cattlebattle: With the way First Class ended, I'd hate for Magneto to go back and try to be a good guy again. The best part about that movie, to me, was that they established that Xavier's on one side of the spectrum, while Mags is on the polar opposite all while being on the same side (kind of). Having Mags go back and fix his spine at this point would ruin that for me. That doesn't mean I can't see it happening, because if they wanna connect it all, they'd totally go and pull that off. 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @cattlebattle: With the way First Class ended, I'd hate for Magneto to go back and try to be a good guy again. The best part about that movie, to me, was that they established that Xavier's on one side of the spectrum, while Mags is on the polar opposite all while being on the same side (kind of). Having Mags go back and fix his spine at this point would ruin that for me. That doesn't mean I can't see it happening, because if they wanna connect it all, they'd totally go and pull that off. 
    I agree, Though Xavier is crippled again obviously, maybe Mags just joins him again to achieve his own ends (like he does in X2) then leaves him crippled again. . The is a huge gap of time between all these series of films so lots of things are possible. Magneto never was a good guy in First Class anyway, like I stated, the only reason he helps Xavier is to find and kill Shaw, so exactly him being a villain or hero is completely a point of view
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024
    @cattlebattle: Could you just imagine the sequel to First Class with that ending though? 

Magneto: Well Charles, I'm off to find more mutants to find more mutants to join my cause. Won't you come with me old friend? 
    Prof. X: Sorry, old bean, but I'm afraid I'm just not into that whole thing. I'll be staying at my mansion with my students.  
    Magneto: Oh, that's a shame. Well I was going to let you keep your legs, but now since you won't join me... *Sends metal spike thru Charles's body* 
    Prof: Fiddlesticks! You got me again Erik! 

Credits. 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @cattlebattle: Could you just imagine the sequel to First Class with that ending though?  Magneto: Well Charles, I'm off to find more mutants to find more mutants to join my cause. Won't you come with me old friend? Prof. X: Sorry, old bean, but I'm afraid I'm just not into that whole thing. I'll be staying at my mansion with my students.  Magneto: Oh, that's a shame. Well I was going to let you keep your legs, but now since you won't join me... *Sends metal spike thru Charles's body* Prof: Fiddlesticks! You got me again Erik!  Credits. 
    LOL, Or make some kind of messed up comment, You take stairs for granted old chap...pow...
    MrGore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrGore

I think X-Men First Class and the other x-men movies are simply not related, I wouldn't say it's a reboot, since they may want to carry on both story lines.

This topic makes me remember when I saw the first x-men movie and hated it, simply because things didn't happen like that in the comics, then I decided to simply enjoy the movie as alternative marvel world.

Even comics don't make much sense sometimes for example sometimes wolverine is an enraged animal, other a tactical samurai, other he mixes both, different writers do with the chars what suits their story.

I think what we have a here is a movie to simply enjoy disregarding what happens next.

And the same should be done with Wolverine Origins, the other 3 are obviously linked and the second doesn't make much sense without the back story from the first and the third also needs to be backed up by the second.

That's my opinion, not sure if it's accurate, maybe they'll keep making new movies using First class as a starting point, but that doesn't seem cool, considering, Azazel is the father of Nightcrawler and Mystique ended as Magneto GF, means she's gonna cheat on him... doesn't seem like her in that movie, the comics version might do it...

Thoughts?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cattlebattle
    @MrGore said:

This topic makes me remember when I saw the first x-men movie and hated it, simply because things didn't happen like that in the comics, then I decided to simply enjoy the movie as alternative marvel world.

That's my opinion, not sure if it's accurate, maybe they'll keep making new movies using First class as a starting point, but that doesn't seem cool, considering, Azazel is the father of Nightcrawler and Mystique ended as Magneto GF, means she's gonna cheat on him... doesn't seem like her in that movie, the comics version might do it...

Thoughts?

I couldn't be more in love with your first comment. The one thing I hate people complaining about is how the movies aren't like the comics.....because just what you want to see is a movie based off an X-Men story arc thats 14 hours long, has 50 characters running around and kind of boring throughout......no thanks

I don't think Mystique was ever Magnetos girlfriend, she was attracted to him in the film and in the original trilogy films there is inference to a relationship but otherwise I would think they're platonic....I do no think there is any reason to really think they have that relationship
    MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MenaceForever2

A reboot

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.