Follow

X-Men: First Class

Movie » X-Men: First Class released on June 03, 2011.

At a time when the world was first learning of mutants, Professor Xavier created a school where young mutants could learn to use their powers to help protect a world that hates and fears them. What adventures will the first class of X-Men face?

Early Reviews for X-MEN FIRST CLASS = Huge Success among Critics!

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

From another board, apparently early reviews of X-Men First Class are all coming in not just good, but great!
    This is definitely going to surprise a lot of doubters (like myslef).

Quote:
    BLEEDING COOL

All in all, First Class is a damn fine superhero movie. More geared, I would suggest, to the more mature fanboy as opposed to some of the aspartame-crazed comic book capers that tend to pop up on the boxes of Happy Meals.
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/...second-review/

Quote:
    COLLIDER

If you were nervous the latest chapter in the X-Men franchise might disappoint, I’m happy to report it’s a huge home-run. Everything from the great script to the awesome performances by the entire cast (with special mention to James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender) makes this X-Men film my favorite in the franchise. Also, the film is loaded with incredible action and a ton of Easter Eggs for the fans. Even the sets and costumes are great. Trust me, as soon as the movie is over, you’re going to wish the next chapter was coming out next week. Hit the jump for more.
    http://collider.com/x-men-first-class-review/92032/

Quote:
    MOVIE CITY NEWS

I really enjoyed this film. Nothing in it really has the simple, raw intensity of Hit Girl in Vaughn’s Kick-Ass. Vaughn has been a little denuded here. He is great at filthy fun. But still, he shows that he has the chops. Look for the masterfully artful effects sequence early in the film and some of the great ways Vaughn has his characters manifest their powers. And while it makes you wonder how much better X-Men 3 could have been, it also makes you happy that he didn’t do an X-film until he had the opportunity to do it his way fully.
    http://moviecitynews.com/2011/05/rev...s-non-spoiler/

Quote:
    IGN

X-Men: First Class is a big, ambitious film that bites off a lot more than most superhero movies could ever hope to chew. It rarely stumbles -- some might say it's overstuffed, but hey, repeat viewings to take it all in are what fanboys like us are made for -- it frequently excites, and it also feels. It's finally just the story of two men and their friendship, which is doomed from the start. We know that story so well, and yet somehow Vaughn has made it feel fresh and new again.
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1170540p2.html

Quote:
    FLICK

It’s not all serious. The overall sense I’m left with after First Class, for all its heaviness, is of a film that’s sweet, funny, and pleasingly fast-paced. Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) as Raven, Charles’s adopted sister and a shapeshifting mutant, is delightful, and particular when she begins to enjoy a “normal” teen crush experience with another mutant, Hank (played by the adorable Nicholas Hoult: Clash of the Titans, A Single Man). There are some hilarious and just-right cameos that make you laugh and sigh at the same time with how perfect they are and how naturally they are worked into the story. It’s not Shakespeare... but, as breezy, thoughtful summer comic-book movies go, almost. Al-damn-most.
    http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/...ass_review.htm

----

Wow a 100% and 97% at ROTTEN TOMATOES!!?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_first_class/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

o_________O I'm pleasantly surprised. You've earned my cash FOX.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

But can we really trust critics, after all they get paid by the studios to review movies.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By CATPANEXE

a high rating at tomatoes? those may be the most picky people on the web next to toplessrobot.
    i might actually see this in the theaters.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Nova`Prime` said:

But can we really trust critics, after all they get paid by the studios to review movies.

Wow, people are really alike!  Were you somehow on the same site as mentioned above?  Someone asked this same question overe there and here was the response:

Here are reviews for X-Men Origins: Wolverine from these same review sites:

Big difference since they literally gave
    Wolverine a bad rating, while they are all over praising First Class.
    Quote:
    COLLIDER

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is the greatest waste of potential in recent memory. It is an embarrassment to everyone involved and is the worst summer debut since "Van Helsing". It's a crushing disappointment because the "X-Men" universe is rich with interesting characters and stories and now that's probably all gone on hold until people forget this mess. And that's a shame because we could probably get Ian McKellan in the "Magneto" movie since we totally have the technology to make him look younger.

Rating = F

http://collider.com/entertainment/ne...d=11762&tcid=1

Quote:
    BLEEDING COOL

“X-Men Origins: Wolverine” will most likely manage to cash in on the popularity of the earlier episodes, but it is the latest evidence that the superhero movie is suffering from serious imaginative fatigue. A twist at the end that gives poor Wolverine a bad case of amnesia — turning him into a kind of Jason Bourne with sideburns — is a virtual admission that nothing terribly interesting has been learned about the character. He forgets his origins before the movie devoted to their exposition is even over. It won’t take you much longer.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/review/x...ine-review=rja

Quote:
    IGN

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not a love it-or-hate it kind of movie. It has its moments, but it's ultimately a by-the-numbers tale that will leave you feeling ambivalent about it and the prospect of any future X-Men films. Perhaps a more extreme reaction (good or bad) would have suggested a more interesting film.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/977/977864p1.html
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

*pumps fist* YES! I've been hoping this would be good!

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I can only hope it's true! I've never wanted to wrong so badly in my life!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Jordanstine: Not that I know of. And what's wrong with not trusting critics? I normally don't listen to critics on just about anything from movies and video games to books and music. But seriously how many movies have you seen that the critics loved and it turned out to be a stinker? I know its happened to me.
    614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 614azrael

<--is doubtfull till proven wrong and damn do i hope i am :P 
    Im highly doubtfull of the film
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Just curious I saw a couple commercials today and is it just me or does it make it sound like the US government is actually responsible for creating the XMen?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critics do tend to say whatever makes the most money, but that's just my pessimism speaking. Truthfully, I want to walk into this film looking to be disappointed only to walk out with a sigh of relief, a pregnant woman and nachos.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

Sp Raven is Charles adopted sibling instead of Cain......that's pretty interesting. Adds dimensions to her actions in the other X-Men movies too. 

@Edamame said:

@Nova`Prime` said:
    Just curious I saw a couple commercials today and is it just me or does it make it sound like the US government is actually responsible for creating the XMen?
    How do you figure?

I think he means because it appears that the X-Men are working with/for Oliver Platt. There's even one clip where they mention working for the CIA or something.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Edamame: Because in the clip someone say's welcome to x division, and it doesn't sound like xavier or magneto.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osiris1428
    GO WATCH THE MOVIE, IT'S FRACKIN' AWESOME!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.