Follow

X-Men: First Class

Movie » X-Men: First Class released on June 03, 2011.

At a time when the world was first learning of mutants, Professor Xavier created a school where young mutants could learn to use their powers to help protect a world that hates and fears them. What adventures will the first class of X-Men face?

A few of the many reasons I will NOT be watching X-men First Clas

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

ELISHA CUTHBERT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED AS EMMA FROST. There, now that that's out of the way, I'd like to state a few key reasons as to why I have decided not to watch X-men: First Class. 
    - Jennifer Lawrence is way too cute to be a convincing Mystique. Sorry, no, not buying it. I mean, I know she can look like anyone she wants, but I really, really doubt she would choose to look that adorable.
    - Emma Frost's diamond form looks kinda like a broken windshield. 
    - It's almost entirely a nostalgia movie. You're expected to walk in already knowing something about at least some of the characters, and then there's the characters that got included to try and take people who actually follow the comic off-guard. You know, because they're so obscure, and aren't really needed in the movie.
    - I hate every trailer I've ever seen for the movie. 
    - On the topic of trailers, why do I keep getting the impression that the movie focuses largely on Magneto? Surely that can't be the case....right?
    - Holy continuity issues, Batman! I don't know where to start! For one, Angel Salvadore wasn't even born yet in the 60s, let alone some sleek-looking twenty-something.
    - Call me fixated, but January Jones does not do it for me in her role as Emma Frost. And her voice is just all wrong.
    - Those character profile posters are really, really weird.
    - I can't think of an actually plausible reason to include Angel Salvadore or Azazel in the movie. Angel was a pain in the ass, and I don't recall Azazel doing anything outside of The Draco, which was a long time ago and isn't really worth mentioning these days.
    - Who the hell is Edie Lensherr? Or 'Mrs. Xavier'? 
    - Beast's mutation has nothing to do with his intellect! He's just REALLY SMART!
    - People I know who do see the movie are going to be asking me if I saw it for a long, long, time, so I had to make this list to save time explaining the myriad reasons I don't want to watch the goddamn thing.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Kairan1979

The reason why I don't want to see this movie - it's centered on Cuban Missile Crisis, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Russians are going to be the bad guys... again. I don't remember the last rime Americans were pictured as bad guys in Russian movie, but Hollywood never stopped the Cold War.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Squares said:

- Emma Frost's diamond form looks kinda like a broken windshield.

I laughed SO much at that!

Personally, I'm not going because I know it will irritate the hell out of me. I can't justify buying Generation Hope because it irritates the hell out of me, so I'm sure as hell not going to pay to sit in a dark room for a couple of hours to be irritated.

Just as a matter of interest, I happened to catch the first X-Men film on TV the other night. Professor X explains to Wolverine that Cyclops, Jean & Storm were amongst his first students. "First students" would be in the "First Class"... but where are they in this film??? Ahhh, I can feel the irritation rising again...

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aiden Cross

I'll see it and consider it an alternate universe and i'll be able to watch it with fun =)

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

I'll probaly watch it on DVD.

Zjd106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zjd106

The other movies were pretty damn good as long as you didn't try to connect them to the comics. 

This one looks pretty good as well.  I don't mind any continuity issues because, the fact is, it is a completely different story than what we have seen in the comics.  TO be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to it for that reason... Characters depicted in new ways... Aiden Cross has the right idea

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

No Cyclops. 
    No reason to see it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kairan1979: How many Russian movies have you seen? Any reccomendations?
    @xerox-kitty: Fantastic reasoning. Also, as far as this movie is concerned, the previous three films (and possibly the Wolverine origin movie) never happened; they're rebooting the franchise. 
    @FadeToBlackBolt: They're already planning a sequel, Cyclops will show up later.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Squares: He'd better, and he should be the main character >_<
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Squares said:

Also, as far as this movie is concerned, the previous three films (and possibly the Wolverine origin movie) never happened; they're rebooting the franchise.

They've linked to the original movies by using clips in the trailers. They do seem to be trying to retcon the movie continuity... which makes me wish that they'd just hand the franchise over to Marvel Studios & let them work the same magic that has been cast over the Avengers solo movies. A real reboot.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @Squares 
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt: Now THAT would be a movie worth watching. The sheer challenge of making something that starred Cyclops and managed to portray him properly while still managing to be a good movie is pretty staggering.
    @xerox-kitty:  Oh. Wow, I totally got my information wrong. Heh heh n_n;
    @fesak: Simply fantastic.
    celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By celestial_man
    @Kairan1979: @Kairan1979 said:
    The reason why I don't want to see this movie - it's centered on Cuban Missile Crisis, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Russians are going to be the bad guys... again. I don't remember the last rime Americans were pictured as bad guys in Russian movie, but Hollywood never stopped the Cold War.
    spoiler:

actually  the Russians come out of it pretty well.  both the americans and the  soviets are shown to  have been manipulated  into the Cuban missle crisis by the the  hellfireclub
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @celestial_man said:
    spoiler:  actually  the Russians come out of it pretty well.  both the americans and the  soviets are shown to  have been manipulated  into the Cuban missle crisis by the the  hellfireclub
    That's kind of worse. Rather than applaud the efforts of Kruschev and Kennedy to avoid war, the X-Men came in and saved the day? Weak. That sort of cartoonish portrayal of war is one of the reasons the final act of Inglourious Basterds sucked.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Kairan1979
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @celestial_man said:
    spoiler:  actually  the Russians come out of it pretty well.  both the americans and the  soviets are shown to  have been manipulated  into the Cuban missle crisis by the the  hellfireclub
    That's kind of worse. Rather than applaud the efforts of Kruschev and Kennedy to avoid war, the X-Men came in and saved the day? Weak. That sort of cartoonish portrayal of war is one of the reasons the final act of Inglourious Basterds sucked.
    My thoughts exactly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kairan1979: Seconded. Except I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet...
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Yeaaaaaaaahhhh..... I'm still gonna watch the movie....... I watch anything with X-Men in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctor!!!!!: Can't fault you for that.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @Doctor!!!!! said:
    Yeaaaaaaaahhhh..... I'm still gonna watch the movie....... I watch anything with X-Men in it.
    Same here :P
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Doctor!!!!!
    @Squares said:
    @Doctor!!!!!: Can't fault you for that.
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
    @Doctor!!!!! said:
    Same here :P
    I love My X-Men, so Matthew Vaughan take my money!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@celestial_man said:

Next time please use the little red button with the exclamation point on it. It's not an arduous task.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.