Follow

X-Force

Team » X-Force appears in 1999 issues.

When Cable reformed the New Mutants, he made them his soldiers. They became a mutant "black ops" team, assigned to kill not just the enemies of the X-Men, but of all mutantkind. Although this team eventually disbanded, the X-Force moniker has persisted in successive iterations of more and more aggressive X-teams.

Why do people praise Uncanny X force so much on here?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i have been reading Uncanny X force from the start because i loved the prior series that Scott Summers put together, and i have to admit, that it has only been decent for me. the first story arc involving the hunt for the reincarnated Apocalypse was good, and i liked the new horsemen, but too me it felt rushed and had a very anticlimatic ending (however this may be on purpose as Apocalypse might not be gone for good) the second story arc which i believe was the Deathlok one was just not enjoyable to me at all, the threat seemed boring and the focus on Fantomex didn't really keep my attention.  
    As for the art, i can say i don't really like the way it is drawn, it seems to bland and abstract for me (again this may be set to reflect the tone of the book)  

However the thing that annoys me the most is the lack of personality each member has and how some act uncharacteristically. Deadpool for example, has gone from being the insane merc we all know and love to being sympathetic and caring about what the others think of him, He even is the first person to care when they kill the kid Apocalypse, out of all the members of the team, i thought he would be the last to care, Wolverine has now de evolved back into a one dimensional cold hearted get the job done leader with no other personality traits, and i can't help but find the psylocke/Angel relationship tedious and shallow. now i do like all of the characters involved, and LOVED the old x force, but this one just seems not very good to me, so tell me, do you like Uncanny X force? if so, what do you like the most about it?? i wanna know!  

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

You pretty much naield why I don't like the series either.  For such a small roster, there's little time given in developing characters.  Too much Fantomex, who is & always should be a support character.  Too much emphasis on his telepathic distraction, which has essentially been overblown into a full on telepathic assault on the same scale as Mastermind.  Why bother having Psylocke when he does all the telepathic work?

And I fail to see why hardened killers would have such a moral dilemna over killing the Apolcypse-boy.  Deadpool has tried to help save kids before, but the others all have it in them to kill an evil child.  It was just to trump up Fantomex, and make him look 'bad ass' in the old 90's ultra-violent way of making someone like Cable 'cool'.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wise Son
    @xerox-kitty said:

You pretty much naield why I don't like the series either.  For such a small roster, there's little time given in developing characters.  Too much Fantomex, who is & always should be a support character.  Too much emphasis on his telepathic distraction, which has essentially been overblown into a full on telepathic assault on the same scale as Mastermind.  Why bother having Psylocke when he does all the telepathic work?

And I fail to see why hardened killers would have such a moral dilemna over killing the Apolcypse-boy.  Deadpool has tried to help save kids before, but the others all have it in them to kill an evil child.  It was just to trump up Fantomex, and make him look 'bad ass' in the old 90's ultra-violent way of making someone like Cable 'cool'.

That's the same jarring problem I had with the comic. These guys have killed hundreds if not thousands of people. It doesn't make sense that they'd have a problem killing kid Apocalypse. Especially considering what he'll be capable of. Just not well thought out writing.  

Now as far as Betsy goes she's essentially fallen into the background with Warren. She's his personal therapist and love interest. That seems to be her role in all this. Fantomex's power upgrade pretty much keeps them from dying on a monthly basis so it's only fair that he's becoming the main focus in all this. I like Fantomex but I don't think he should be the lead. I think Uncanny X-Force's roster needs another addition to mix things up.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

It's because it's a pretty good series, and Uncanny X-Men is so damn terrible. X-Factor doesn't have any A-Listers, Legacy is basically a series of systematic character studies (which means you either like the lead characters or you look elsewhere) and Generation Hope just sucks; so what are X-Fans who want to read a book starring the big names supposed to do? Read X-Force. And because it's a decent read, it's being mistaken for a great one.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wise Son
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    It's because it's a pretty good series, and Uncanny X-Men is so damn terrible. X-Factor doesn't have any A-Listers, Legacy is basically a series of systematic character studies (which means you either like the lead characters or you look elsewhere) and Generation Hope just sucks; so what are X-Fans who want to read a book starring the big names supposed to do? Read X-Force. And because it's a decent read, it's being mistaken for a great one.
    Pretty much feel the same way. X-fans have gotten the shaft recently so we're clinging to any series that does the X-men justice. I like X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force myself. The other x-titles are awful. I have a few quips with the ones I do read but they're still good reads. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Wise Son said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Pretty much feel the same way. X-fans have gotten the shaft recently so we're clinging to any series that does the X-men justice. I like X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force myself. The other x-titles are awful. I have a few quips with the ones I do read but they're still good reads. 
    I'm going to start reading X-Factor. I'm really looking forward to it actually :)
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @The Stegman said:
    Deadpool for example, has gone from being the insane merc we all know and love to being sympathetic and caring about what the others think of him, He even is the first person to care when they kill the kid Apocalypse, out of all the members of the team, i thought he would be the last to care
    Seriously? Please go read something else ( and something more decent ) than Daniel Way's idiotic version of Deadpool! Remender's Deadpool actually is a way more accurate version of Deadpool than Daniel Way's. Just simply go read the original Deadpool series by Joe Kelly. You'll see on various occasions that Deadpool has some kind of ... soft spot, I guess, ... for children. Last time someone killed a child in his presence, he kind of had the exact same reaction. And yes you could argue that this child was to be indoctrinated as Apocalypse, but he wasn't apocalypse yet. It would be kind of the same reason why someone like say Superman or Spider-Man would give him a chance, because there 's always he chance that that child could turn out different. 

Anyway, I like to see an underrated character like Fantomex getting the spotlight for an entire arc. I 'm loving how things are going with Angel. Plus this is one of the few series where Wolverine's presence actually feels needed and nice to me. And this is the most accurate and not totally ignorant presentation of Deadpool ever since the Cable & Deadpool series was brought to an halt.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Green Skin
    @xerox-kitty said:

Being a hardened killer isn't the same thing as being a child killer.  Yes they are all killers but they are also heroes.  Its not that far fetched that they would give pause before doing something as inherently wrong as kill a child.  Granted it was Apocalypse-boy, but at that point did the kid commit any wrong doing?   I agree though, it was just to trump up Fantomex. 
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Baddamdog

I frickin love it, my fave book out there, the characterization is great and each character gets their moment. There's also beautiful art and awesome action scenes

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

Deadpool does "volunteer work" for victims of abuse, especially young victims. And by volunteer work I mean killing their tormentors free of charge. I think it was perfectly in-character.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Timandm

I think some of  you are overlooking one significant fact regarding the killing of kid-apocalypse (is that his villain name now?)

None of the members of the current X-Force have (to my knowledge) ever killed an innocent.  Let alone a child...  Not even Deadpool...  I haven't read much of Deadpool's early stuff, but what in all that I have read with him in it, he has NEVER killed an innocent and certainly not a child.  Deadpool is definitely a killer, undeniably insane, and quick on the trigger, but not a killer of children...

I do agree that it's odd the HE (Deadpool) is somehow the voice of conscience of X-Factor.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By MrUnknown
    @Baddamdog said:
    I frickin love it, my fave book out there, the characterization is great and each character gets their moment. There's also beautiful art and awesome action scenes
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's even better than the previous X-force in my opinion which I thought would be hard for it to beat.

About the complaints:
    1) Deadpool making a complaint about them killing the child makes sense. Deadpool is supposed to be a random so he might feel bad about some things and maybe not some. Who knows if that was some kind of Deadpool joke anyways? 
    2) Is Kid Apocalypse really dead?
    3) The cast is small because Remender stated in an interview that he wanted to naturally increase the roster with the stories. I'm guessing someone for AoA might end up joining the team.
    4) Lastly, there are great characterizations in this book. Obviously if you haven't read it, you wouldn't know. This book manages to keep a balance between action and character interactions.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By The Lobster

Because it's awesome....that's why. 

Everything in the book is great, the characters are written the way they are supposed to be written. Anyone who thinks they are being written out of character doesn't actually get the character. Deadpool obviously being the big example here. You say that Deadpool has gone from the being the insane merc to a sympathetic character.....that is a dead give away that you only read Daniel Way's Deadpool and none of the good stuff like Joe Kelly's run because only someone who has never read Joe Kelly's amazing Deadpool run would say that. Deadpool has always cared for kids, and even takes jobs for free if it means helping a kid. 

Wolverine being de-evolvled to the leader? Uhhh did you read any of the last 3 issues, Wolverine is still the same Wolverine. He's knows he's the best there is at what he does, but he doesn't like doing it. (Shown in Issue 9) He's seen it all, done it all and lost a lot of friends because of it (Issue 11) and he's willing to do the extreme if it means keeping the team a secret (Issue 10 and 5)

Psylocke and Angel thing.....agreed, which is why I'm kind of glad that Angel has flipped his lid. I personally hope they decide that the only way to save Angel is to kill off Angel, cause let's face it. He serves very little purpose to the team, and he's a boring character. Plus imagine how hard much drama could stem off that? If one member of the team is willing to go as far as to kill another team member to save the world, might put the other members on edge.

Fantomex, I don't think they are pimping him out. Mainly because the whole psychic hallucinations thing is how he helps benefit the team. The only reason he's on the team is because he can make a difficult situation easy with his powers. If you were starting a team and you knew someone who had that power, would you not want him on your team? 

Another great thing is that every member serves a purpose to the team. It's a tightly woven team.

Wolverine - The leader, and the man who makes sure everyone follows the plan.
    Psylocke - Keeps the team together by acting as a two way radio with her psychic powers and provides therapy for Angel
    Angel - pays everyone, and supplies the base of operation. Basically is the bank account of the team. 
    Fantomex - Misdirection powers make missions easier
    Deadpool - scouts out the location before they attack it, to make sure they know what they are up against. 

See, everyone has a purpose. Where as the other teams it just felt like, here's a bunch of killer on one team.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Lobster
    Bite your tongue.

If anything we need more Angel "making no fly zones"
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Lobster
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @The Lobster : Bite your tongue.  If anything we need more Angel "making no fly zones"
    Bah, I never liked Angel. I could never feel sympathetic to him. The most I ever felt anything towards him was when that homeless guy acted like a total tool to him as a kid in Issue 8. 

A millionaire pretty boy with Split personality issue with wings....just can't relate to that. 

Never liked Angel, and he serves very little purpose to team, I mean all he does is pay the team members....which is kinda pointless because the only two people he paid have been revealed to be on the team because they want to be on the team.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Lobster said:
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @The Lobster : Bite your tongue.  If anything we need more Angel "making no fly zones"
    Bah, I never liked Angel. I could never feel sympathetic to him. The most I ever felt anything towards him was when that homeless guy acted like a total tool to him as a kid in Issue 8.   A millionaire pretty boy with Split personality issue with wings....just can't relate to that.   Never liked Angel, and he serves very little purpose to team, I mean all he does is pay the team members....which is kinda pointless because the only two people he paid have been revealed to be on the team because they want to be on the team.
    But a 200 year old beserker, a British woman in a ninja's body and some french dude that was born in a test tube, a sociopath that can heal himself are totally easier to relate to? 

It boggles me how anyone can even like Fantomex.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Lobster
    @TheCrowbar said:

@The Lobster said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Bah, I never liked Angel. I could never feel sympathetic to him. The most I ever felt anything towards him was when that homeless guy acted like a total tool to him as a kid in Issue 8.   A millionaire pretty boy with Split personality issue with wings....just can't relate to that.   Never liked Angel, and he serves very little purpose to team, I mean all he does is pay the team members....which is kinda pointless because the only two people he paid have been revealed to be on the team because they want to be on the team.
    But a 200 year old beserker, a British woman in a ninja's body and some french dude that was born in a test tube, a sociopath that can heal himself are totally easier to relate to?   It boggles me how anyone can even like Fantomex.
    They like him because he's a bit of a tool,  a total badass....but a tool none the less....it's kind of a love to hate him thing. 

Okay granted my views of Angel are a bit symplistic, but I don't read a lot of Angel stuff. I can't really speak much for Wolverine cause I never really bought into the hype (Although he doesn't bug me as a hero, like Angel does) and Psylocke cause I completely forgot she existed as a character till this series came out.... although I find the fact that she has a brother who is a villain and a brother who is a hero relateable. We've all had moments where family is divided and you have to pick sides between two people you love. 

I'm a big fan of Deadpool, and I find him the most relateable. We've all had moments where we want to fit in to a group of people that doesn't accept us. Plus Deadpool uses his humor to hide his insecurities which I also find a bit relateable personally because I have been known to joke around in awkward situations. 

Fantomex I can't relate too, but Grant Morrison made him to be a character who isn't relateable. I do share his love for philosophy, but in everything I've read him he's basically just the badass and that's it. I did find the moment where he lashed out at Deathlok Spider-man for killing his mom, kind of relateable. We've all seen loved ones die at one point. 

Archangel.....can't think of anything I found relateable.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @The Lobster said:
    @TheCrowbar said:

@The Lobster said:

@TheCrowbar said:

But a 200 year old beserker, a British woman in a ninja's body and some french dude that was born in a test tube, a sociopath that can heal himself are totally easier to relate to?   It boggles me how anyone can even like Fantomex.
    They like him because he's a bit of a tool,  a total badass....but a tool none the less....it's kind of a love to hate him thing.   Okay granted my views of Angel are a bit symplistic, but I don't read a lot of Angel stuff. I can't really speak much for Wolverine cause I never really bought into the hype (Although he doesn't bug me as a hero, like Angel does) and Psylocke cause I completely forgot she existed as a character till this series came out.... although I find the fact that she has a brother who is a villain and a brother who is a hero relateable. We've all had moments where family is divided and you have to pick sides between two people you love.   I'm a big fan of Deadpool, and I find him the most relateable. We've all had moments where we want to fit in to a group of people that doesn't accept us. Plus Deadpool uses his humor to hide his insecurities which I also find a bit relateable personally because I have been known to joke around in awkward situations.   Fantomex I can't relate too, but Grant Morrison made him to be a character who isn't relateable. I do share his love for philosophy, but in everything I've read him he's basically just the badass and that's it. I did find the moment where he lashed out at Deathlok Spider-man for killing his mom, kind of relateable. We've all seen loved ones die at one point.   Archangel.....can't think of anything I found relateable.
    I think this is one of those times we could either argue for several pages or agree to disagree... as I am famously lazy, I'm going to agree to disagree.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Lobster
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @The Lobster said:
    @TheCrowbar said:

@The Lobster said:

@TheCrowbar said:

They like him because he's a bit of a tool,  a total badass....but a tool none the less....it's kind of a love to hate him thing.   Okay granted my views of Angel are a bit symplistic, but I don't read a lot of Angel stuff. I can't really speak much for Wolverine cause I never really bought into the hype (Although he doesn't bug me as a hero, like Angel does) and Psylocke cause I completely forgot she existed as a character till this series came out.... although I find the fact that she has a brother who is a villain and a brother who is a hero relateable. We've all had moments where family is divided and you have to pick sides between two people you love.   I'm a big fan of Deadpool, and I find him the most relateable. We've all had moments where we want to fit in to a group of people that doesn't accept us. Plus Deadpool uses his humor to hide his insecurities which I also find a bit relateable personally because I have been known to joke around in awkward situations.   Fantomex I can't relate too, but Grant Morrison made him to be a character who isn't relateable. I do share his love for philosophy, but in everything I've read him he's basically just the badass and that's it. I did find the moment where he lashed out at Deathlok Spider-man for killing his mom, kind of relateable. We've all seen loved ones die at one point.   Archangel.....can't think of anything I found relateable.
    I think this is one of those times we could either argue for several pages or agree to disagree... as I am famously lazy, I'm going to agree to disagree.
    I agree to agree to disagree.
    Metaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Metaphor

I'm actually pretty close to calling it quits on this series.  It's just a massive Fantomex wankfest with some really shitty romance on the side.  I'll probably put it down soon.  

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Metaphor: yeah i dropped it myself a few weeks ago, just couldn't keep my attention
    1frankcastle4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 1frankcastle4

i can't stand fantomex. i never liked the character. lame trench, lame french lame lame lame

other then that i enjoy x-force for what it is. everything else with an x in the title these days sucks.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Namor1987

If you don't like it don't read it simple as that. If I don't like something i don't read/watch/do it. Instead of coming here nit-picking & analysing every little insignificant flaw just drop the title & do something else. I love it personally.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24  Edited By x_29

ummm because its good.

R06613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read just about all thing's deadpool and you can tell the writer was kinda being challenged just with his lines, which were hit or miss.

not to mention the joke's they used for him.

every fight they have him being decapitated, Even though he has beat wolverine in a brawl more then once.

Nightcrawler's thing about killing deadpool in AoA is stupid as his head would just grow back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.