Follow

X-23

Character » X-23 appears in 2382 issues.

X-23 is a product of the Weapon X program, born from a damaged sample of Wolverine's DNA. She has recently aged up, being saved from the Vault.

Does X-23 have enough of a following to justify a movie?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Thinking recently on her character and how the movie industry is putting out every superhero movie they can. It made wonder about X-23. Her origins are pretty interesting and seeing as how these days people seem to be obsessed with the dystopian movies and books and settings in which a female is the hero (see: Hunger Games, Twilight, Divergent etc). I wonder would her story or a version of it work on the big screen or even as a series on network tv in the same line as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D?

I actually think it could based on what people seem to be into these days.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Twilight is not a series about a female hero. Its a teenage romance novel. Bella plays the damsel in distress until the 2nd half of the last book - even then the amount of actual fighting she does is limited to her psychic ability.

As for the question at hand - should she show up in an X-Men movie? Sure, why not?

Should she get a solo one? Hell no. Wolverine's solo movies have proved to me that no X-men should get a solo movie. They work better in groups.

Wyrmdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Laura's (X-23's) marketing problem is her inherent link to Wolverine and that would keep her from being taken seriously as a standalone by the greater public viewership ("Oh, she's just a girl Wolverine, and a clone to boot. Why can't they make a female character that isn't a male spinoff?"). Or so I believe. Then again, if she were introduced via a Wolverine movie, that could work. It would also very much change her origin tale though, to be immediately paired with her...source. Personally I think that would dilute the impact of her origin storyline which was very much concerned with her emotional and mental isolation and how she coped with that.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nope

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, but don't mention Wolverine at all, make it focus on her, show her character development, make people know she's more than a Wolverine clone.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about a movie all her own, but a sequel to the Wolverine where X-23 is sent to kill him by the Weapon Plus program could be interesting. She could attack, he'd restrain and reason with her due to Wolverine having some morals about cutting up young girls. She could fulfill the protege role Logan is fond of mentoring, as seen with Shadowcat, Rogue, Jubilee, and Armor. Give her a sizable focus with her leading Logan to Weapon Plus.

With Weapon Plus involved, we could introduce some interesting antagonists, such as bringing Sabretooth from X-Men Origins: Wolverine (the only good part of that movie) back, maybe Fantomex, Omega Red. And so on. Could be some interesting team up sequences between Logan and X-23 as they take these guys on.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Probably not enough as Wonder Woman.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Probably not, even though she got plenty of exposure in X-Men: Evolution. Most viewers would probably look at X-23 as a clone of Wolverine and that wouldn't go over well for Laura's character. What they could do to make it possible is to have X-23 appear as a cameo in a Wolverine movie and then they could spin the movie off from there.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

No she doesn't.

But I would still watch it

OldManJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By OldManJoe

I don't think she should get her own live action movie, but she could certainly manage a her own animated movie. Who knows, maybe it could lead into a series like with Wolverine and the X-Men but with better staying power. And on a side note, one of the two creators of X-23 is working in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so who knows what might happen.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

There's no way in hell they'd do her character the remotest of justice.

Her origins are absolutely R-rated and Marvel (and/or Fox) has already demonstrated an unwillingness to make those movies, or make them well.

Does she have enough of a following to justify a movie? Not nearly as much as many other characters who, honestly, would deserve a movie first. And when you cut out fans who wouldn't see it if they didn't do it right, you'd probably have too few.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

Yes, but don't mention Wolverine at all, make it focus on her, show her character development, make people know she's more than a Wolverine clone.

she's his clone...how could you possibly make an X-23 movie without touching on Wolverine at all

you can't do a movie about a spin-off character accurately without having the character that they're spun-off from at least mentioned

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

she's his clone...how could you possibly make an X-23 movie without touching on Wolverine at all

you can't do a movie about a spin-off character accurately without having the character that they're spun-off from at least mentioned

Expain that she's a clone, say that the DNA came from someone similar to her, someone who had a healing factor and who inspired her claws. That's it. Then have her escape from the facility, maybe encounter others like her, have the program trying to kill her, and having her constantly on the run, kinda like that movie Hanna.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@akbogert: Don't see how it's not an X-23 movie, The Facility is still there, as is Laura's clone status and powers, as is her training to be a weapon, you could include Sarah, have Laura escape, it's the same formula without being dependent on Wolverine like all the other X films.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't work, the closest you could have would be a wolverine movie with her part of the plot and maybe some scenes just for her.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Except that Wolverine is a major part not only of who she is, but of her whole future thereafter. He's not just someone with a healing factor and claws -- he's the best at what he does, and they wanted to make someone even better.

Laura may not be "female Logan" but Logan is an essential part of who she is and who she has become, for better and for worse. I do not want another film version of a character unnecessarily deviating from canon. Logan does not need to make an appearance, but tiptoeing around his name is pointless.

Wolverine was who Laura went after, and for good reason. He matters not only to her story, but to her as a person. And as far as future development of her character in film goes, cutting him out cuts out most of her canonical storytelling potential. I don't want to watch a movie of Laura running for her life. She ran for Wolverine in an attempt to kill both of them. Because that was logical. She's smart enough to know that a life of just fleeing the Facility isn't worth keeping up. Trying to build a movie around her doing something that irrational would be a disservice to who she is.

This kind of just goes back to my original post though. There are plenty of ways they could do an X-23 movie that I wouldn't bother seeing. She's my favorite character, and that means I want her done right, or not at all.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think she has a chance the same way Yukio successfully made it on-screen: she's perfect fodder as a supporting character in a Hugh Jackman blockbuster.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@the_stegman said:

Expain that she's a clone, say that the DNA came from someone similar to her, someone who had a healing factor and who inspired her claws. That's it. Then have her escape from the facility, maybe encounter others like her, have the program trying to kill her, and having her constantly on the run, kinda like that movie Hanna.

the movie would do better just by mentioning Wolverine....if they were to actually have him in it then it would do even better than that

I don't see why you wouldn't want Wolverine to even cameo in it

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@akbogert said:

@the_stegman: Except that Wolverine is a major part not only of who she is, but of her whole future thereafter. He's not just someone with a healing factor and claws -- he's the best at what he does, and they wanted to make someone even better.

Laura may not be "female Logan" but Logan is an essential part of who she is and who she has become, for better and for worse. I do not want another film version of a character unnecessarily deviating from canon. Logan does not need to make an appearance, but tiptoeing around his name is pointless.

Wolverine was who Laura went after, and for good reason. He matters not only to her story, but to her as a person. And as far as future development of her character in film goes, cutting him out cuts out most of her canonical storytelling potential. I don't want to watch a movie of Laura running for her life. She ran for Wolverine in an attempt to kill both of them. Because that was logical. She's smart enough to know that a life of just fleeing the Facility isn't worth keeping up. Trying to build a movie around her doing something that irrational would be a disservice to who she is.

This kind of just goes back to my original post though. There are plenty of ways they could do an X-23 movie that I wouldn't bother seeing. She's my favorite character, and that means I want her done right, or not at all.

Everything you said can still fit in a Wolverine-less movie. She can be running from the Facility, however, as the film goes on, she can put bits and pieces of who she is, and who she came from together, she can maybe start a search for him which leads to a sequel, one which DOES tie into the X-Men universe more. All I'm saying is, if you make Wolverine such a big part of the first film, people are just gonna be like "Oh, so she's little Logan? Cool, when's big Logan gonna show up?" If you avoid using him, it'll make non fans of the character get excited as it dawns on them who she is, and what she's after, as well as be a neat little Easter egg for fans of X-23.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Maybe we're talking past each other or misinterpreting each other.

But Wolverine's name should absolutely be mentioned as the scientists are "designing" her. And the idea that she would have been brought up without being fully briefed on Wolverine and who she is makes no sense. Putting together pieces of who she is and where she came from isn't part of her canon story and that's what I'm saying I'm tired of seeing -- deviation from canon. She was raised to be a weapon, and constantly made aware of this. That entails being brought up to speed on threats she might face in the field -- which would include briefing on other assassins and mutants, and Wolverine would be at the top of that list. Keep in mind that canonically she DID know about Wolverine and sought him out because of that knowledge. Making her have to scramble for that information Bourne-style is, again, deviation from canon.

Innocence Lost is a FANTASTIC book. One of my all-time favorite comics. It's a brilliant origin story and there is nothing you can tell me that will change my mind that if an X-23 movie is made, it should follow the book to the letter (and maybe lead into Target X). I don't want nods to the origin story as easter eggs. I want a film version of the character I love, or I don't want a movie. If you're correct that following things would be problematic because mainstream film viewers are idiots who can't do anything but fixate on Hugh Jackman, then that's fine: don't make this movie. Very simple.

BRAZEKOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BRAZEKOOL

Nah. I want her in movies yes. But I don't like how some of the movies only focus on one character at a time. Even if there were a movie detailing her origin it'd still be helpful if it was set in time properly by showing the kinds of things that were happening around the marvel universe at the time too. That way you get a sense of time.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Do you think her performance in Logan is enough to include Laura in more X-Men related movies?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If Dafne Keen is older (like, five years from now), yes. Do it.

Outstanding performance

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.