Follow

WonderCon

Concept » WonderCon appears in 3 issues.

Annual comic book and entertainment convention held each year in San Francisco.

WonderCon 2012 Recap

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

Did you hear about the commotion that took place last weekend in Anaheim? I'm not talking about the Deaf event that took place in Downtown Disney with the ABC cast of Switched at Birth. I'm not talking about the volleyball or cheerleading competitions that took place in the Anaheim Convention Center. I'm talking about WonderCon!

No Caption Provided
    Allow me to introduce Harl E. Quinn. Picture taken by Mary Anne Butler
    Allow me to introduce Harl E. Quinn. Picture taken by Mary Anne Butler

This past weekend I had a blast! I made new friends, hung out with old friends and even cosplayed a genderbent Harley Quinn (right). Let me give you a quick rundown of what I did last weekend.

Genderbent Justice League
    Genderbent Justice League

On Friday, I spent most of my day with my friend Michael Mullenix (Metal Mike) -who recorded the Anime Expo coverage for Anime Vice and my SDCC cosplay videos last year. After a quick hello to Comic Vine's very own Tony (G-Man) and Sara (Babs) I headed into the dark depths of the convention floor to get some video content! Mike and I got tons of video with cosplayers. Videos you'll get to see soon, after the editing process... my outtakes need to be cut out. I also got a chance to catch up with a lot of my "convention friends" like Peter Nguyen, Elena Salcedo, Christine Dinh and more. (Convention Friend: A friend who you usually see a few days a year because of your regular attendance to comic book conventions.) Added to that, I also got to hang out with Tom Pinchuk, and I also got the chance to chat with my two favorite people on the comic book industry. Thanks to Tom's encouragement, I got the guts to talk to Jim McCann and later go and have a conversation with Humberto Ramos. Afterwards, I hung out with cosplayers I've known from past cons like Barry Ruch, Jimmy Sherfy, and Sara Eberle.

Saturday was a whole other experience. Like I mentioned above I cosplayed! After driving for three hours in the rain, I arrived at the convention center unprepared for what was to come. My friend Catherine Pow, also known as the amazing cosplayer Psykitten Pow, helped me out with the application of heavy amounts of makeup. Then I was ready to meet the Genderbent Justice League. Heavy amounts of pictures were taken and I just enjoyed the spectacle... until people started to ask to take my picture too! Never before was I the one in front of the camera, and it was fun. I posed for pictures with tons of cosplayers like Tallest Silver, Roxanna Meta, Jen Peters and more.

I understand a lot of people were not too thrilled with this year's Wonder Con. Why? I wasn't making the stuff at the intro up. The Anaheim Convention Center is, literally, at walking distance of Disneyland Resort. Aside of Wonder Con, the convention center was holding cheerleading and volleyball tournaments. Everybody who attended probably compared this to the awesomeness that is Wonder Con at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Yet, I enjoyed myself. Even more so because this is my last convention of the year. This weekend I am moving to Mexico City, making it very hard to travel north and south of California for conventions... That is why I am so glad I soaked up as much as I could from this con!

Thank you to all of the people who made this such a fun experinece!

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @Geo_sorathekey

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Sure was a fun time to be had at the WC huh? Hey man, its me again! :) Hope you're doing well and it was a pleasure and an honor to have met you there!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Awesome, haha!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

@RedheadedAtrocitus: It was great meeting you man! One of my favorite parts of the Con was getting to talk to the attendants. You included! :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.